test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Comments

• Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    HAHAHA! Boimler, "What does that even mean?!?"

Oooo...Miranda-class love. They gave red bussard collectors to those TOS film nacelles. A nice customization option for us to look forward to here. :)
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Love Lower Decks.. can’t wait for the new season!
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Love Lower Decks.. can’t wait for the new season!

Agreed. First season was awesome, and the short teaser already is lots of fun pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Mariner... I swear she should have a cell reserved for her, complete with a racket ball to bounce off the wall.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    So far LDS it the only new Trek show I have truly enjoyed, because it has actually felt like Trek. One ship, facing localized challenges each episode, not 'universe ending drama'. It looks like S2 is going to continue the same way as S1, so looking forward to seeing more :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    So far LDS it the only new Trek show I have truly enjoyed, because it has actually felt like Trek. One ship, facing localized challenges each episode, not 'universe ending drama'. It looks like S2 is going to continue the same way as S1, so looking forward to seeing more :)
    Honestly, Lower Decks was the least Trek feeling of all the new shows IMO.

Trek is a future where things are good, and people are generally competent. Lower Decks was a show about racist, incompetent, bigots, being racist, incompetent, bigots, and getting away with it.

Wow. Well, if you think LDS is bad, just wait until they give female space hitler her own show and try to make her a good guy :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    I enjoyed the first season of Lower Decks. I am looking forward to the second season.

In times likes these, anything which brings a laugh or a smile should be celebrated.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    Wow. Well, if you think LDS is bad, just wait until they give female space hitler her own show and try to make her a good guy :)
    I didn't say it was bad, I said it wasn't very Trek. Lower Decks is a good animated comedy show making FUN of Trek tropes, but in doing so its fundamentally bad Trek becuase its doing everything it can to not be normal Trek.

And I think a Section 31 show would be better Trek then LD is. And I like Phillipa, and shes been shown to be more competent at her job then the LD crew is so.... eh.

Oh, I thought you had an issue with the racist/bigot stuff? If so, you're definitely not going to enjoy Mrs. Space Hitler. She's a major racist/bigot who eats people.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Guys... cool it a bit. Please. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
    The fact of the matter is the current shows are all different styles of storytelling, and different settings.

-Lower Decks is more comedy based, following the least important crewmembers on the least important ship in the fleet, and is more episodic like classic Trek.
    -Picard is more of a look at the civilian side of the Star Trek universe, following a retired Admiral Picard who gets mixed up in something bigger than him, and is a bit more of a long arc story.
    -Discovery is a long arc story that tends to lean towards big mysteries these days. First we had the Klingon War and Lorca, then we had the Red Angel and Control, then The Burn. Now we have some kind of Gravity Anomaly.
    -Strange New Worlds is reportedly going to be more episodic like classic Trek.

Fact of the matter is all of it is Star Trek. Just told from different angles. The style doesn't make it any less Trek than what came before. Star Trek is not just about exploration. Its a whole universe full of stories that can be told. It is a setting. There's room for everyone, and all kinds of methods of storytelling. If someone doesn't like an element of Star Trek, that's fine. There are other elements they may like. But everyone has an opinion, and are free to express said opinion. But for the love of Q stop trying to act like one opinion has more merit than another! To each their own!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Strange New Worlds is reportedly going to be more episodic like classic Trek.

Very, very excited for that show!

But for the love of Q stop trying to act like one opinion has more merit than another! To each their own!

100% agree. That's why when someone says 'X show feels like Trek' to them, someone else doesn't need to jump in and say "I disagree!". Some people need to learn to let someone else simply express how they feel about something without always trying to prove them wrong.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    The fact of the matter is the current shows are all different styles of storytelling, and different settings.

-Lower Decks is more comedy based, following the least important crewmembers on the least important ship in the fleet, and is more episodic like classic Trek.
    -Picard is more of a look at the civilian side of the Star Trek universe, following a retired Admiral Picard who gets mixed up in something bigger than him, and is a bit more of a long arc story.
    -Discovery is a long arc story that tends to lean towards big mysteries these days. First we had the Klingon War and Lorca, then we had the Red Angel and Control, then The Burn. Now we have some kind of Gravity Anomaly.

Fact of the matter is all of it is Star Trek. Just told from different angles. The style doesn't make it any less Trek than what came before. Star Trek is not just about exploration. Its a whole universe full of stories that can be told. It is a setting. There's room for everyone, and all kinds of methods of storytelling. If someone doesn't like an element of Star Trek, that's fine. There are other elements they may like. But everyone has an opinion, and are free to express said opinion. But for the love of Q stop trying to act like one opinion has more merit than another! To each their own!

Lower decks is a good example of a comedic deconstruction done right. It lampshades and pokes fun all the gray areas in Trek without destroying the overall feel of Trek. That is almost certainly why it has had more acceptance from traditional Trek fans.

DSC and PIC are a completely different animal, they are trying to make Trek movies disguised as serials, with all the lazy inattention to cross-story continuity details that movies are plagued with (notice how no two DSC seasons are anything at all alike). It is not intrinsically a bad thing, there is a lot of potential there, but so far they have not taken much advantage of it, fumbling around trying to get a grip on what it is that makes something Trek instead.

In fact, the bad part comes in things like that very strong impression that Kurtzman and company don't even like Trek and are just presenting a shallow, highly generic production hoping that no one will notice that they have no idea what Star Trek is all about or why it looked and felt like it did.

Just to be a bit OCD here: technically they are not "arcs" long, short, or anything else, they are full-blown narrow-format serials. Arcs are separate but linked stories with a definite order/progression despite the self-contained aspect, usually in an arc-episode format and often mixed with non-arc-episodes (Babylon5 is still the platinum standard for that format).

As disguised movies, DSC and PIC only have one story per season (sometimes with a complication or two that almost looks like a separate story but is not actually self contained) divided up into arbitrary segments of about an hour. Since every segment (they are not usually called "episodes" in serials) is part of the main storyline or a non-self-contained complication of that storyline, it is what is known as a "narrow format" serial.

For contrast a "wide format" serial is usually lot like the arc-episode format but more tightly threaded in a less self-contained way and often a tighter focus on the central themes, or at the other extreme can even actually be separate episodic scripts mashed together with the beginnings and endings blended and carrying over a few minutes into the next segment as a sort of easily separable faux-serial. The original Lost in Space did exactly that, and the 1960s Batman series took it even further by blurring hour-long stories together and then chopping them up into half-hour segments which aired twice a week (usually Tuesday and Thursday).

One problem with DSC is that it takes its cues from the movies and actually isn't part of a "whole universe full of stories" because its epic focus pushes all other stories out of that "universe". Every time, the heroes are ONLY ones who can do whatever is needed to save the universe/galaxy/federation/whatever and everyone else is just set dressing or part of the problem. That is good for action movies but not so hot for what was traditionally a thinking person's sci-fi series.

In fact, in TOS the Enterprise was more infamous than famous while TOS was still being made. She was what is known as a "hard luck" ship, way too likely to find dire peril in the most innocuous of places, with a charismatic loose cannon of a captain with a definite grasp of the grifter skillset and other extremely talented but variously "difficult" officers in a sort of "black sheep saves the day" setup.

While the movies kept a lot of the "cooler" aspects of that they dumped the hard luck ship idea and instead put the ship and crew on a silly fanservice pedestal and dropped the "one of the fleet" aspect for a sort of "above the fleet" one even when slapping Kirk down for his actions or ordering the ship to the breaker yards. Since DSC started with The Undiscovered Country as their Trek base model they inherited that epic format pedestal and pushed it even further.

DSC and PIC would work perfectly well as alternate timelines like the Kelvin (except for the melodrama in place of drama thing and some of the worst plot and SFX nonsense like the "turbolift cavern" I actually like DSC in a generic sci-fi way, though I don't care for PIC so far), but there are just too many incompatibilities with the Traditional Treks for it to feel like it belongs with the others.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    It's all Trek. Don't watch the ones that bother you.

See how easy that is?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

Lower decks is a good example of a comedic deconstruction done right. It lampshades and pokes fun all the gray areas in Trek without destroying the overall feel of Trek. That is almost certainly why it has had more acceptance from traditional Trek fans.

DSC and PIC are a completely different animal, they are trying to make Trek movies disguised as serials, with all the lazy inattention to cross-story continuity details that movies are plagued with (notice how no two DSC seasons are anything at all alike). It is not intrinsically a bad thing, there is a lot of potential there, but so far they have not taken much advantage of it, fumbling around trying to get a grip on what it is that makes something Trek instead.

In fact, the bad part comes in things like that very strong impression that Kurtzman and company don't even like Trek and are just presenting a shallow, highly generic production hoping that no one will notice that they have no idea what Star Trek is all about or why it looked and felt like it did.

Just to be a bit OCD here: technically they are not "arcs" long, short, or anything else, they are full-blown narrow-format serials. Arcs are separate but linked stories with a definite order/progression despite the self-contained aspect, usually in an arc-episode format and often mixed with non-arc-episodes (Babylon5 is still the platinum standard for that format).

As disguised movies, DSC and PIC only have one story per season (sometimes with a complication or two that almost looks like a separate story but is not actually self contained) divided up into arbitrary segments of about an hour. Since every segment (they are not usually called "episodes" in serials) is part of the main storyline or a non-self-contained complication of that storyline, it is what is known as a "narrow format" serial.

For contrast a "wide format" serial is usually lot like the arc-episode format but more tightly threaded in a less self-contained way and often a tighter focus on the central themes, or at the other extreme can even actually be separate episodic scripts mashed together with the beginnings and endings blended and carrying over a few minutes into the next segment as a sort of easily separable faux-serial. The original Lost in Space did exactly that, and the 1960s Batman series took it even further by blurring hour-long stories together and then chopping them up into half-hour segments which aired twice a week (usually Tuesday and Thursday).

One problem with DSC is that it takes its cues from the movies and actually isn't part of a "whole universe full of stories" because its epic focus pushes all other stories out of that "universe". Every time, the heroes are ONLY ones who can do whatever is needed to save the universe/galaxy/federation/whatever and everyone else is just set dressing or part of the problem. That is good for action movies but not so hot for what was traditionally a thinking person's sci-fi series.

In fact, in TOS the Enterprise was more infamous than famous while TOS was still being made. She was what is known as a "hard luck" ship, way too likely to find dire peril in the most innocuous of places, with a charismatic loose cannon of a captain with a definite grasp of the grifter skillset and other extremely talented but variously "difficult" officers in a sort of "black sheep saves the day" setup.

While the movies kept a lot of the "cooler" aspects of that they dumped the hard luck ship idea and instead put the ship and crew on a silly fanservice pedestal and dropped the "one of the fleet" aspect for a sort of "above the fleet" one even when slapping Kirk down for his actions or ordering the ship to the breaker yards. Since DSC started with The Undiscovered Country as their Trek base model they inherited that epic format pedestal and pushed it even further.

DSC and PIC would work perfectly well as alternate timelines like the Kelvin (except for the melodrama in place of drama thing and some of the worst plot and SFX nonsense like the "turbolift cavern" I actually like DSC in a generic sci-fi way, though I don't care for PIC so far), but there are just too many incompatibilities with the Traditional Treks for it to feel like it belongs with the others.

Pretty much, yea. Hence why I'm not watching picard or discovery...left a bad enough taste in my mouth.

Lower Decks, like Beyond, only post 2005 Trek I've liked so far.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    While I agree that Discovery's first season wasn't the best... based on the history of Trek... most of the shows don't have a stellar 1st season. Usually takes 2-3 for a series to get going if we take the TNG era into consideration. TNG didn't really take off until s3, Voyager, even with all its problems, took a season or 2, especially to get away from the half-backed Klingon wannabes the Kazon, and DS9 took a season or 2 to get going. So for me... its par for the course for Discovery to not have a stellar first season. But season 2 of Discovery was good. Anson Mount as Captain Pike, the Klingons getting their hair and looking more Klingon, the D7, the Enterprise... it was a better season.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    If you think "horrors hiding in the deeps between galaxies" is purely Mass Effect - well, all I can say is, steer clear of the Cthulhu Mythos (which Mass Effect quite deliberately drew on for the Reapers).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    If you think "horrors hiding in the deeps between galaxies" is purely Mass Effect - well, all I can say is, steer clear of the Cthulhu Mythos (which Mass Effect quite deliberately drew on for the Reapers).

Speaking of Lovecraft stuff, the crazy robot octopus at the end of Picard S1 was the most interesting part of the entire show, to me. I hope that gets explored more at some point.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    For an early season of Trek, especially a first season, I would rather watch DSC S1 over TNG, DS9, or VOY S1.

DSC S1 at least didn't have overtly racist episodes like Code of Honor, or the Last Outpost, nor just genuinely awful episodes like Justice, or Move Along Home.

While the way Klingons looked in S1 was simply miserable, I do give them credit for actually remembering aspects of Klingon lore that are normally forgotten like the cannibalism, mummification, Black Fleet afterlife concept, the fact that they DO take prisoners, and the fact that Klingons are known to use suicide tactics in war. The overall DSC S1/S2 Klingon story also remembered to pick up on plot points from ENT's "Judgement" episode, and served as a nice transition from the infighting space vikings we saw in ENT, to the more homogeneous, unified, Empire we saw in TOS.

And while I didn't think making Burnham related to Spock was particularly necessary, I did like how they used it to explain why Spock and Sarek had a falling out in a way that made sense. Also some kudos for remembering how back in TOS Vulcan's mental link extended across space even if separated by lightyears.

I am not so sure you can lump DSC into that "bad first season" mythos with the rest of them. DSC comes across more like an anthology that just happens to have the same cast and similar (but not identical) circumstances, rather like The Three Stooges or The Monkees did but season by season instead of episode by episode resets like those two shows did.

If fourth season does manage to settle down and follow third's conventions closely enough it would be the equivalent of a second season in a way.

On top of that, the whole bad first few seasons thing is a combination of myth and viewer impatience, though like most myths it has a little core of truth. Roddenberry liked to push boundaries, often quite hard, which is why TOS had to go though two pilots before being accepted, and it took two or three episodes beyond that to get settled in.

TNGs massive level of first season trouble was unique in Trek and stemmed from Roddenberry getting pushed completely out of the loop for most of the movies (except in name only) which caused him to push the boundaries of TV sci-fi too hard when he got back in the game. Paramount came to him to do a show about a Federation/Klingon war set sometime in the late 23rd or early 24th century, which he was totally against, so he convinced he could come up with something spectacular that no one had ever tried before. Unfortunately, having been burned too often by the movie division he insisted on having his lawyer, Leonard Maizlish, installed in the production office for protection against getting pushed out again, and Maizlish was a toxic troll who got off on making everyone around him (except his client) miserable.

The series concept Roddenberry came up with was a very complex multi-threaded ensemble-cast show set up very much like the Macross colony animes that came out later, in that it had distinct civilian and (para)military parts and a ship that would break up into a small city (of a thousand or so scientists and crew dependents) saucer section and its more combat oriented protector. Picard was supposed to be the overall mission commander, a crochety old explorer/scientist who did not get along well with people but had to deal with both the civilians and the tactical side (Riker was more independent originally and was in charge of that tactical section). The duplication and gaps in the cast was due to the idea that the ship sections would be separated more.

The problem is that the writers were having considerable problems doing anything with that setup, especially within the limits of an hour long series of episodes, so much so that the concept was simplified but by then they were so close to the deadline that they had to scramble to have something to shoot. One thing they did to catch up was to quickly adapt TOS scripts (and novels, Diane Duane adapted her Wounded Sky novel as the episode Where No One Has Gone Before for instance) like how Niven did in TAS with one of his Known Universe stories (which is how Kzinti ended up in Trek) when he hit the deadline.

Maizlish was responsible for a lot of that chaos and failure of the original concept as it turns out. Long after the series ended, David Gerrold ran into another one of the original TNG writers and they started comparing notes, noticed something and started asking the other writers and production people involved in the first year. It turns out that a lot of the erratic (and downright insane at times) instructions and rewrites "from Roddenberry" were actually Maizlish illegally tampering with the production (he was not a guild member and not qualified to write or plot for the show or make any of the other changes he was supposedly "just passing along").

In fact, one incident were Roddenberry had supposedly taken a script and made changes to it before returning it to the writer's desk after hours wasn't even physically possible because Roddenberry wasn't even in town when it happened and the people who were with him on that trip verified that he wasn't writing anything during it. Even without the discovery of the illegal tampering Maizlish was toxic enough that he was banned from the studio after the first season, but by then almost all of the original writers left in disgust so the next season had an entirely new pool who had to find their footing, which took about a quarter season or so.

Voyager also had a last minute change of concept (because Berman thought the pilot was too dark and too far outside of the TNG formula safety net), so it had a rough first half season or so but it settled into its long bland but functional period until Garrett Wang shook things up a bit by going to the fans about the "humans have to be boring to make the aliens seem quirky" rule the show was being smothered by up until then.

DS9 and ENT both hit the ground running, the only thing "wrong" with them at the start was that they were different enough from TNG that they had to lay down a lot of background for the viewers and some fans just don't the kind of widely ranging "random" stories which get those foundations across the quickest.
  • Options
    The way I see Trek, it takes a season or two for the show to find its footing, and for the actors and writers to get a feel for the characters, how they'd react, and the general setting. Behind the scenes stuff can be a factor, but in general... its pretty common for a Trek series to stumble as it finds its footing. And Discovery did that in S1. S2 was better, and brought us Captain Pike, who will have his own show because of it.
  • Options
    I am not so sure you can lump DSC into that "bad first season" mythos with the rest of them. DSC comes across more like an anthology that just happens to have the same cast and similar (but not identical) circumstances, rather like The Three Stooges or The Monkees did but season by season instead of episode by episode resets like those two shows did.
    So unless it has a singular narrative throughout its entire run its an anthology series? *headesk* what an awful thing to say. By this logic TNG never had an episode 2 since episode 2 didn't really follow episode 1, it was just an anthology series that just so happened to have the same cast, and similar(but not identical) circumstances. That isn't what that term means... but I'll just add that to the ever expanding list of terms you have shown you really don't understand the meaning of. Which has honestly gotten pretty long at this point.

And every season thus far has continued from the plot of the previous season
    • The Klingon War in S1 is what led to the accelerated development of the Control AI, which caused the problems in S2.
    • The battle to defeat Control, and the need to remove the sphere data from the present so another Control like entity couldn't form, is what caused them to go to the future for S3.
    • The destruction of the Federation via the Burn, and the crew's solving of the problem in S3, led to an increased unified effort against the anomaly as we see in this S4 trailer.
    Discovery's story progression is pretty much the same as STO's has been. Not every arc is a direct continuation of the last one, but plot elements from the previous arc start/influence the current one.

Trying to strawman the issue again, eh?

I never said anything about a "singular narrative", what I said was that each season is so wildly different in feel and circumstance that it comes across like an anthology series with the same cast, like the two I mentioned. In fact, chapter two of the first season, the second season, and the third season all give the impression of damage control with all the changes that implies, regardless of whether CBS meant it as such or not. While a series does need to shake things up from time to time there are reasonability limits to that, and DSC does not do a good job of staying within them.
    On top of that, the whole bad first few seasons thing is a combination of myth and viewer impatience, though like most myths it has a little core of truth. Roddenberry liked to push boundaries, often quite hard, which is why TOS had to go though two pilots before being accepted, and it took two or three episodes beyond that to get settled in.
    Uhh no. The whole bad first few seasons thing is a demonstrable fact, and stems from TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT S1 having genuinely poor episodes in terms of writing, and direction. There are legitimate reasons why many people think those shows had bad seasons for S1/2, its not just them being impatient. Had TNG started off at the quality of S4-6, it wouldn't have been an issue because S4-6 were good. DS9 is my favorite Trek show but to say S1 hit the ground rolling is just a bold faced lie. DS9 S1 was a trainwreck outside of one or two good episodes like Duet. DS9 didn't start getting good on average until the introduction of the Dominion plot at the very end of S2. And ENT S1/2 were like TNG... which is why they were hated. TNG had already done it, and done it better. ENT is generally considered to have gotten good around S3, which they moved into the season long Xindi arc which was the exact opposite of TNG. And S4 got even better with multi episode narrative arcs again unlike TNG. ENT was liked more the LESS it tried to be like TOS/TNG.

The rest of your post is you trying to religiously defend Saint Roddenberry long after his death, and when everyone else has been able to move past the fact he was kind of a horrible person who almost killed Star Trek with his bad ideas. Its not helping you at all.

All series have a few rough spots, especially in the beginning, but with the exception of TNG and possibly VOY Star Trek did not have the length and depth of them that you seem to think. Of course opinion varies and if that is what you see then that is what you see, but you are not everyone, nobody is. There are people who see the entire first season of Babylon5 as a complete trainwreck because of the same laying of foundations, but more who see it as simply having some good episodes and some bad just like anywhere else in the series.

And no, I was not "just trying to defend Roddenberry", he had his flaws like anyone else, I was pointing out why the first season of TNG and part of second turned out the way they did. If you do not believe me, fine, look it up yourself, it is documented well enough to be a trivial search. And TNG was not the only series to have trouble like that either, the 2002 Birds of Prey had an even worse behind the scenes environment for example.