test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Underutilized Backstories

therealblackkaostherealblackkaos Member Posts: 121 Arc User
I’m sitting here watching TNG and I’m wondering: why hasn’t STO broached a story about Guinan and her people? It would be nice to have a few El-Aurian’s pop up. They’ve been around for a long time in the shadows. I can imagine there’s some that’s benevolent like Guinan and others that may be of the more rebellious. Maybe one gets his hands on a warship and wages a one man war against the Borg for example? Or one is in league with some rogue Founders to bring back the Dominion? Pretty sure there’s some ideas to flesh out.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    We have an El-Aurian running Club 47on ESD, and he makes an appearance in Temporal Ambassador.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    We have an El-Aurian running Club 47on ESD, and he makes an appearance in Temporal Ambassador.

I think the OP is talking about more than a background character in a single mission.
  • Options
    Other than Soran in Generations, El-Aurians have kinda always been in the background. Guinan was always more of a counselor than even Counselor Troi, but never really did much more than scare Q when he visited. Although the 2 parter with the Dividians proves she's a LOT older.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    > @garaffe said:
    > I think the OP is talking about more than a background character in a single mission.

Exactly. Who’s to say that they haven’t banded together and strengthened their numbers? Maybe pulling the strings behind the scenes to manipulate power? Wouldn’t be the first time someone did it. Just think that there’s a story somewhere. There’s a lot of lore and history that gets skipped over because the focus is always on Feddie. There’s a lot of races and people that get lost in the proverbial sauce. Hell, expand in their fight against the Q!
  • Options
    kaosbainkaosbain Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Most likely because they cannot afford getting Woopie Goldberg to do the voice overs.
  • Options
    > @kaosbain said:
    > Most likely because they cannot afford getting Woopie Goldberg to do the voice overs.

As much as I’d love to have Guinan herself, she has alluded that there’s more of her people, even though they’re small in number. I’m thinking that we could get introduced to more of them and learn more about them. Same thing with Morn. What if his people have technology that is light years ahead of the others. They could be time traveling behind the scenes. I jus think that a game like STO (and CBS) are missing out on potential plots. I’m sick of Fed(human) vs Klingons (only the Disco ones-Martok and Gowron and the Duras Sisters are still my favorites!). Romulans don’t even exist as a true force anymore. Taking the Dominion out the picture means that there’s no real “big baddie” around. Mows the time to get creative in my opinion. Pretty sure Cryptic can create storylines that won’t TRIBBLE up CBS plans.
  • Options
    Romulans don’t even exist as a true force anymore.

I take exception to that! The Republic is a growing power in the galaxy controlling some of the most advanced technology (the iconian space gate).
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    I'm with Q when it comes to the El-Aurians, you shouldn't trust them, in Q Who Q came clean about the Borg while Captain Picard practically had to pry the info from Guinan.
  • Options
    revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    Considering Guinan is coming back next season of Picard I could see El-Aurans showing up in the game's future.
  • Options
    I'm with Q when it comes to the El-Aurians, you shouldn't trust them, in Q Who Q came clean about the Borg while Captain Picard practically had to pry the info from Guinan.

Idon't blame Guinan for that. After all her people were decimated by them so its not an easy subject for her to talk about.
  • Options
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Idon't blame Guinan for that. After all her people were decimated by them so its not an easy subject for her to talk about.

So imagine a storyline plot where they were massing weapons and/or breaking the Temporal Accords to take the fight to the Borg as payback? That would bring back my man Daniels (who reminds me of Phil Coulson for some reason) for a few missions as you investigate yet another disturbance. Maybe a chance to add in a few new ships and ground sets focused on time displacement? I’d like to see more 32c Temporal Warships added in.
  • Options
    I don't think people would like yet another time travel plot so soon. And other than Soran, the El-Aurians don't really come across as the kind of people who would do that.
  • Options
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Idon't blame Guinan for that. After all her people were decimated by them so its not an easy subject for her to talk about.

So imagine a storyline plot where they were massing weapons and/or breaking the Temporal Accords to take the fight to the Borg as payback? That would bring back my man Daniels (who reminds me of Phil Coulson for some reason) for a few missions as you investigate yet another disturbance. Maybe a chance to add in a few new ships and ground sets focused on time displacement? I’d like to see more 32c Temporal Warships added in.

Anything but more time travel.
  • Options
    joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »

I agree. I like my temporally-displaced Starfleet crews as much as the next guy, but not everything has to be khest'n time travel. We've had two entire expansions with that as a backstory. They said we were supposed to go after Leeta and the Terran Empire after the jaunt on DS9, then Discovery threw the wrench in the works and they "had" to do the new-Trek content... which has gone on for near three years now, I think we can give THAT a break too...

Also... there are probably even fewer El-Aurians than there are Romulans. Romulans had an empire. El-Auria was one planet. (And this is speaking as a guy who roleplayed an El-Aurian in Starfleet who recognized he was part of a very endangered species, but still went "New Romulus... New Talax... New Kentar... where's New El-Auria?")
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I’m sitting here watching TNG and I’m wondering: why hasn’t STO broached a story about Guinan and her people? It would be nice to have a few El-Aurian’s pop up. They’ve been around for a long time in the shadows. I can imagine there’s some that’s benevolent like Guinan and others that may be of the more rebellious. Maybe one gets his hands on a warship and wages a one man war against the Borg for example? Or one is in league with some rogue Founders to bring back the Dominion? Pretty sure there’s some ideas to flesh out.

Well, the answer to this is always the same. How does the idea tie into ship/lock box/promo ship sales? If it doesn't in some way help to push monetization, Cryptic has no interest in it.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:

To be fair, time travel is still slightly better than HoLoDeCk SiMuLaTiOnS oF HiStoRiCaL eVeNtS.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    I know what you mean. My virtual me character I made into an El Aurian, same for my comic self.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    > @rattler2 said:

To be fair, time travel is still slightly better than HoLoDeCk SiMuLaTiOnS oF HiStoRiCaL eVeNtS.

Touche. Let me correct myself.

Anything but time travel or historical simulations.
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User

and because of her there was no glorious Klingon/fed war. so, NO guinan backstories
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    diocletian#7546 diocletian Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    El Aurians are a fascinating race. With such long lives, they can have a rich background. I have had some interesting interactions with other players who play them and build up a good back story for their character. I would be in favor of having some more STO content with them.
  • Options
    joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    You are far more likely to see an actually hostile/villainous/manipulative ace like the Kelvans, or Sheliak, do something like that, with the El-Aurians being side NPCs you help you out.

The only bit from the Kelvans we're likely to see is the kit module you get from K-13 that turns people into jumbo-sized D20s.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    The story potential of the First Federation has never been explored either, and they are already on the map taking up a chunk of Alpha quadrant. They don't have to be the villain either, there is plenty of trouble they could be involved in that the player character stumbles across and leads to the FF asking the Alliance for help in dealing with it.

If they wanted to get clever with it the devs could use the conflict to foreshadow the next major campaign in a way that does not spoiler it but is recognizable in hindsight. It could also be used to breathe new life into the Gamma quadrant from an unexpected angle (if the devs ever wanted to expand the Dominion "faction" to include the Dominion itself instead of just Odo's expeditionary force) by having the villains actually originate from Gamma.

They could also take advantage of the extreme territorial paranoia to say the Fesarians are hiding something in that fortress of a star cluster they occupy. Maybe they have their own stable wormhole, but one leading to an alternate universe, like perhaps the Kelvin one or some other one they might want to bring into STO from the new CBS stuff or official comics or whatever.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    Whats the deal with them anyway? Could it be that only Guinan was the one getting Q upset as in shes the chosen one of the El-Aurians for some undisclosed background reasons? Or is their species simply kind of a Q kryptonite; nullifying their powers if directly targeted at them; kind of like she was the only one realizing the reality change in the Enterprise-C Episode. But otherwise (very long-living) humanoids. I mean if they had Q powers neither their species would had been that easily overrun by the Borg nor would Soran had done any of the things he did. And even if; not in the way he did.
  • Options
    The fact that there’s been many of us that has been able to come in and flesh out different positions means that there’s a story somewhere to be told. Whether it’s a main story arc or just a side story, the story possibilities are there. Thanks for not making me seem as if I’m off base in my reasoning for wanting lore expanded ideas.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    The fact that there’s been many of us that has been able to come in and flesh out different positions means that there’s a story somewhere to be told. Whether it’s a main story arc or just a side story, the story possibilities are there. Thanks for not making me seem as if I’m off base in my reasoning for wanting lore expanded ideas.

As long as they don't involve time travel or historical holos for at least another decade ;)
  • Options
    > @theanothername said:
    > As long as they don't involve time travel or historical holos for at least another decade ;)

😂😂😂 You got it!!!
This discussion has been closed.