test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

True Way Reputation & Battlezone

2»

Comments

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Of course the devs white knight comes in to defend them, I'm totally not shocked
    Of course you have no means to actually disprove what I said, and so just resort to petty name calling. I'm totally not shocked.

I don't need to disprove it...just because some people were complaining doesn't mean it is unanimous. Besides since when to the devs listen to anything the players say? Been complaints for years that tactical is the dominate tree and it's hardly worth playing anything else...didn't stop them from making tactical even more dominate.

But hey I'm getting off track and if I don't adjust myself back on it you're totally going to argue against me for that because you like avoiding the actual issues and you love to strawman someone if they leave you even the tiniest crack to argue against anything else since you often can't win most of your arguments

The fact is for years more and more content is cut and replaced with these easy to produce low effort grind events...and these devs are great at using half truths and excuses as a facade. New legendary box is a prime example "We buffed these ships by giving them a little extra hull and a small fraction of turn rate because we listen to the players" when I haven't seen many complain about those minor issues while simultaneously ignoring every single major issue players had with the pack.

Face it...the devs don't listen to the players and they're known for making up their own "issues" and excuses

• xgnxlentgamer02xgnxlentgamer02 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Yeah and they used to do at least 2-3 reps a year and it has been almost 2 years since the last one...if you haven't noticed there was a lost of used to's that haven't been touched in years because the devs are getting lazier and lazier.
    Yes, its totally because they are lazy, and not because people had been complaining for years that there were too many reps, and that they didn't want any more.

Of course the devs white knight comes in to defend them, I'm totally not shocked

I mean...could be a mix of both? I've seen a lot of untouched bugs/fixes/features that are in need of a fix. It's not really up to us to decide where the developers' time is best spent. somtaawkhar has a point. There's already 2 people in here that were against the idea of a reputation, an opinion I do not agree with.
    edited February 2021
    Yeah and they used to do at least 2-3 reps a year and it has been almost 2 years since the last one...if you haven't noticed there was a lost of used to's that haven't been touched in years because the devs are getting lazier and lazier.
    Yes, its totally because they are lazy, and not because people had been complaining for years that there were too many reps, and that they didn't want any more.

I mean...could be a mix of both? I've seen a lot of untouched bugs/fixes/features that are in need of a fix. It's not really up to us to decide where the developers' time is best spent. somtaawkhar has a point. There's already 2 people in here that were against the idea of a reputation, an opinion I do not agree with.

2 people doesn't equal the fan base and the forums are hardly the mouth of the fanbase either considering many players don't even bother coming here because the devs are more active on social media than their actual game forums. You'll have better luck getting their attention on reddit or twitter than the forums

And ask around...he is a white knight...he is known for building strawmans and full out lying to defend the devs. If he can't argue against facts he will cherry pick any little thing to avoid the actual topic

2 people doesn't equal the fan base and the forums are hardly the mouth of the fanbase either considering many players don't even bother coming here because the devs are more active on social media than their actual game forums. You'll have better luck getting their attention on reddit or twitter than the forums

And ask around...he is a white knight...he is known for building strawmans and full out lying to defend the devs. If he can't argue against facts he will cherry pick any little thing to avoid the actual topic

...kay. I just came here to see if this would be a generally supported idea. Getting mixed and inconsistent responses so far...
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    I would not mind another reputation, though I am not sure what a Cardassian one could have that would be good for equipment since they already have all the canon stuff obtainable in other ways that are more profitable for the game company. The devs would have to come up with something from scratch and they seem to like using canon

Also a battlezone would be great if it was actually set up like battles and not a silly game show where you tow asteroids and other nonsense. After the disasters of Gon'cra and the Gamma one though I doubt Cryptic would be much interested in making another one even if it was different from those two.

All in all I am not averse to the ideas, I just think it would never happen (especially since they went to some length to tie up all the loose ends they could, which is a fairly sure sign that they decided to be done with True Way stuff).
    edited February 2021

...kay. I just came here to see if this would be a generally supported idea. Getting mixed and inconsistent responses so far...

Didn't mean to come off as hostile towards you, bout any time I say anything negative about the devs he has to come in and protect them with his cherry picking and straw mans...it's gets annoying as all heck, and he does it with other people too.
    I would not mind another reputation, though I am not sure what a Cardassian one could have that would be good for equipment since they already have all the canon stuff obtainable in other ways that are more profitable for the game company. The devs would have to come up with something from scratch and they seem to like using canon

Also a battlezone would be great if it was actually set up like battles and not a silly game show where you tow asteroids and other nonsense. After the disasters of Gon'cra and the Gamma one though I doubt Cryptic would be much interested in making another one even if it was different from those two.

All in all I am not averse to the ideas, I just think it would never happen (especially since they went to some length to tie up all the loose ends they could, which is a fairly sure sign that they decided to be done with True Way stuff).

And do you think the idea I suggested would be a good fit for a True Way battlezone?
    What would you say the best way to suggest an idea to the developers is? This thread seems to have died sooner than I would have hoped.
    What would you say the best way to suggest an idea to the developers is? This thread seems to have died sooner than I would have hoped.

Don't do it here, the devs pretty much ignore the forums...but then again they ignore a lot of things. I'd say maybe reddit but if you get trolls on you who don't like what you have to say you can get downvoted quickly

The devs aren't really known for listening to the players...the only time I've really ever seen the devs listen was when there was mass outcry by the whales when the devs wanted to balance the game which would have made their pay to win builds weaker, so rather than lose the whales not only did they revert changes, they made the game even more power creepy.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    we don't need another rep OR another battlezone. we need to revamp what's there. Revamp Omega force, 1, bringing the mark/elite mark costs in line with the other reps, allow joint teaming for the hard level mission OR get rid of the team requirements. as it is now, a player with boffs can take down most all the objectives. also add the equipment to bring the rep gear back to life, especially and including warp core/singularity core and a 4 pc set power. not a rep but related, an Aegis WC/Singularity core would be very nice.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    As far as battlezones go, I'd like to see one with 3 'lanes', as it were. Something along the lines of Dragon's Stand in GW2 would be nice.

Pushing the late stages in the current Battlezones tends to get a bit tedious - you need a couple people playing wack-a-mole(which doesn't offer rewards) while the rest of the people finish the final objectives, or else it just drags on forever(Tzenkethi BZ is still the worst offender for this). Having different lanes to push would eliminate the full-map wack-a-mole while concentrating the efforts and still requiring multiple 'teams' to advance to the boss fight(s) phase.

As for ways of dividing space maps into lanes, honestly, just using some deadly space hazards would be sufficient. Black holes or Subspace Tears that rapidly kill any ships that enter them would be sufficient deterrents for most ships(tank builds might be able to push themselves through, which I think is fine) while safe-space crosses between the lanes could be added at the half-way and end points for the redistribution of player forces. It also might be an interesting tactic for repel builds to knock enemies into those hazard zones..

Also, the end bosses of the battlezones should really have unique drops to keep encouraging participation to the end. (imagine a revamped dyson BZ where the Rexes have a tiny chance to drop a mini hatchling version of themself as a pet, or uncommonly drop voth ground weapons.)

As for Reps, we really need another Tetryon or Plasma rep(with set-omnis/turrets and damage bonuses). There's also a tragic shortage of improved SIF Generators in the game(not even fleets have anything worthwhile).
  • sierra078sierra078 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    The problem with a battlezone with the True way and having it work like the Dyson zone is that there are no Cardassian dreadnoughts in the game. Keldons are considered battleships, and the most powerful unit the True way has access too. Unless they put in a fan design like the Hutet (Think Keldon on roids).

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/startrek/images/0/0e/Hutet.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20070504180434&imgrefurl=https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Hutet_class&tbnid=W_jX10S7wgoLnM&vet=12ahUKEwjflfOYnZjvAhUQ0FMKHcFEBsUQMygAegUIARCWAQ..i&docid=qn14jBHxV5OVkM&w=240&h=140&q=hutet class&ved=2ahUKEwjflfOYnZjvAhUQ0FMKHcFEBsUQMygAegUIARCWAQ
    nixie50 wrote: »
    we don't need another rep OR another battlezone. we need to revamp what's there. Revamp Omega force, 1, bringing the mark/elite mark costs in line with the other reps, allow joint teaming for the hard level mission OR get rid of the team requirements. as it is now, a player with boffs can take down most all the objectives. also add the equipment to bring the rep gear back to life, especially and including warp core/singularity core and a 4 pc set power. not a rep but related, an Aegis WC/Singularity core would be very nice.

So basically what you're saying is we don't need the game to evolve? It should remain stagnant? Every MMO adds reputations and new gear...new dungeons...every MMO...ever think that's why STO is falling apart? Because there is almost nothing new being added but a lot of ways to get the players to open their wallet?

But no...we don't need new STFs and gear? I'm sure the game will run another 10 years on repeating the same stuff over and over and over again!
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    sierra078 wrote: »
    The problem with a battlezone with the True way and having it work like the Dyson zone is that there are no Cardassian dreadnoughts in the game. Keldons are considered battleships, and the most powerful unit the True way has access too. Unless they put in a fan design like the Hutet (Think Keldon on roids).

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/startrek/images/0/0e/Hutet.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20070504180434&imgrefurl=https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Hutet_class&tbnid=W_jX10S7wgoLnM&vet=12ahUKEwjflfOYnZjvAhUQ0FMKHcFEBsUQMygAegUIARCWAQ..i&docid=qn14jBHxV5OVkM&w=240&h=140&q=hutet class&ved=2ahUKEwjflfOYnZjvAhUQ0FMKHcFEBsUQMygAegUIARCWAQ

Yeah, the Hutet immediately came to mind before I finished reading; although I doubt Cryptic has access to it. However, they did introduce the Intel ships, and those could be repurposed as enemy ships. The Damar is classified as a Science Dreadnought.

That said, I wasn't entirely speaking within the confines of the Cardassian scenario - as the OP wants another ground BZ. Personally, I'd love to see the Devidians return as a (space)threat, and tearing rifts in space-time seems like something that would be their specialty(perhaps as a consequence of Mirror-Leeta angering them with terran time-travel experiments).
    szerontzur wrote: »

Yeah, the Hutet immediately came to mind before I finished reading; although I doubt Cryptic has access to it. However, they did introduce the Intel ships, and those could be repurposed as enemy ships. The Damar is classified as a Science Dreadnought.

That said, I wasn't entirely speaking within the confines of the Cardassian scenario - as the OP wants another ground BZ. Personally, I'd love to see the Devidians return as a (space)threat, and tearing rifts in space-time seems like something that would be their specialty(perhaps as a consequence of Mirror-Leeta angering them with terran time-travel experiments).

That would actually work. While True Way does not have anything particularly impressive (they are pretty much just terrorists in obsolete ships) maybe the Devidians could use them to set up conditions for them to push something really nasty though as the boss.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator

As the Hutet is owned by the company that made Dominion Wars... no. Cryptic cannot touch it. As for the Damar... That would probably depend on if the True Way was able to capture a few.

As for the battlezone stuff... I can see a ground one more than a space one, and I can't see the Devidians being involved at all. However due to the brief alliance between the Terran Empire and the True Way... there might be something there to play with.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)

That's why for the powerful unit, I suggested a stolen Cardassian Intel ship or a Jem'Hadar dreadnought.

I do not want just another ground BZ. Read the entire post. Devidians doesn't make sense as a space threat because they don't have any ships.
    A lot of the hypothetical questions and scenarios could be answered by simply reading the OP in its entirety. That's something I've seemed to notice a severe lack in regarding thread responses. I know it's probably a lot to ask, but at least try.
  • valetharvalethar Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    Honestly, I'd rather see just about anything but another mindless rep grind. There are already too many of them. (Their very existence is proof of a lie the Devs told many years ago, but I digress...)

Now, if progress were to be at the account level, instead of having to grind it out on every alt, I might possibly be more in favor of the idea. As it stands now, not even remotely interested.

The idea of Cardassian content is definitely interesting, but if it's tied to a rep grind, I honestly wouldn't even bother with it.
    edited March 2021
    A lot of the hypothetical questions and scenarios could be answered by simply reading the OP in its entirety. That's something I've seemed to notice a severe lack in regarding thread responses. I know it's probably a lot to ask, but at least try.

People probably are reading the entire post though big solid blocks of text like that are hard to read and make sense of in detail. In my case I had to go back and copy-paste it into Libre Office and cut it up to keep the text from crawling around so much while reading, but even people without visual problems probably loose focus on those walls of text.

One point about the space battlezone: there is no such thing as a "warp point" in Star Trek. In fact ships in TOS very rarely used impulse for anything, they brought up their warp fields right in orbit when leaving for somewhere and did not come out of warp until they arrived at their destination. Even TNG didn't have them, warp drive is not negated by gravity like Star Wars is for instance and TNG showed Klingons skimming the surface of a star going to warp there to shake their pursuers.

What you could use for that instead is the heavy asteroid belt, it has materials that block and distort subspace signals like communications and sensors which the True Way could use to break sensor lock, change direction, and warp off in an unknown direction.

A battlezone needs more than one thing to do, otherwise it could get tedious, so there needs to be various sections like the breakout you describe, maybe an area of hunting though the asteroid field dealing with traps while hunting for ships that escaped to there before they get their bearings and warp out, and a few other things that hopefully realistically pertain to the operation rather than just random imported phone games like Gon'cra and Gamma are so full of (Dyson is too, but it integrates them better so it is not quite so obnoxious).

I am not sure what you could use for a boss, the Cardassians don't have any planetkillers or super huge ships, the the alpha link thing might (barely) work I suppose though the Dominion is not the superweapon using type either.

Also, the mechanics of how STO works probably mean that you would have to have two separate entrances for the space and ground battlezones rather than imbedded (those tend to fail a lot on map switch and people get annoyed by all the disconnects).
    valethar wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd rather see just about anything but another mindless rep grind. There are already too many of them. (Their very existence is proof of a lie the Devs told many years ago, but I digress...)

Now, if progress were to be at the account level, instead of having to grind it out on every alt, I might possibly be more in favor of the idea. As it stands now, not even remotely interested.

The idea of Cardassian content is definitely interesting, but if it's tied to a rep grind, I honestly wouldn't even bother with it.

You don't have to grind it on every alt....you grind it on one of your characters, hit T6 with all of it, and then it's unlocked across every character you make. It's not even that hard to grind, and I enjoy making progression. I'm almost T6 with everything too so it'd be nice to have more.

People probably are reading the entire post though big solid blocks of text like that are hard to read and make sense of in detail. In my case I had to go back and copy-paste it into Libre Office and cut it up to keep the text from crawling around so much while reading, but even people without visual problems probably loose focus on those walls of text.

One point about the space battlezone: there is no such thing as a "warp point" in Star Trek. In fact ships in TOS very rarely used impulse for anything, they brought up their warp fields right in orbit when leaving for somewhere and did not come out of warp until they arrived at their destination. Even TNG didn't have them, warp drive is not negated by gravity like Star Wars is for instance and TNG showed Klingons skimming the surface of a star going to warp there to shake their pursuers.

What you could use for that instead is the heavy asteroid belt, it has materials that block and distort subspace signals like communications and sensors which the True Way could use to break sensor lock, change direction, and warp off in an unknown direction.

A battlezone needs more than one thing to do, otherwise it could get tedious, so there needs to be various sections like the breakout you describe, maybe an area of hunting though the asteroid field dealing with traps while hunting for ships that escaped to there before they get their bearings and warp out, and a few other things that hopefully realistically pertain to the operation rather than just random imported phone games like Gon'cra and Gamma are so full of (Dyson is too, but it integrates them better so it is not quite so obnoxious).

I am not sure what you could use for a boss, the Cardassians don't have any planetkillers or super huge ships, the the alpha link thing might (barely) work I suppose though the Dominion is not the superweapon using type either.

Also, the mechanics of how STO works probably mean that you would have to have two separate entrances for the space and ground battlezones rather than imbedded (those tend to fail a lot on map switch and people get annoyed by all the disconnects).

The "warp point" idea was just for a logistical example, but yeah an asteroid belt would be cool. For the big boss fight, fight a stolen Cardassian Intel dreadnought or a Jem'Hadar dreadnought. What was your opinion for my ground idea?
This discussion has been closed.