test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unable to start game client: client quit unexpectedly

Need help. When I am trying to lunch the game, I am getting this message: Unable to start game client: client quit unexpectedly. Ticket, #316886 was submitted to Arc game support department about two weeks ago. Finally, I was advised that: Unfortunately they are out of ideas on resolving the issue with my current system, and that I should to post my issue here to see if other players have suggestions on a way around the crashes. Thank you

Comments

• tjmcktjmck Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Apparently, there was an issue with the October 6th patch that rendered some systems unable to play the game as the patch messed with the DirectX component for the game, so until they find a way to fix this, some players (myself included) are also unable to play the game on pc.
  • revskip1963revskip1963 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I am having the same problem.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    I am having the same problem.

If you are able to launch the game on the launcher options make sure on demand patching is turned off. Force verify if after any files are downloaded. Then try launching in safe mode
  • bismark88bismark88 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    After having the directx trouble now ive got this. Im having the same problem, ive tried everything people have suggested to me including a clean install, nothing works.

gRWRuJd.png[/quote][/img]
  • aerodrive1aerodrive1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    YES me too!

What can we do?
    Nothing helps!
    I re-installed the game, several times. The arc, steam, stand alone.

I updated the IntelDriver and the latest version of my Nvidea driver.
    Direct X 11

And if I try to start the GameClinet.exe from the lIve File it brings up:
    Unable to find required game data files. If this problem persists, reinstalling the application may fix the situation.

So. I try now since days. What is the error? How to fix it?

Thank you!
    aerodrive1 wrote: »
    YES me too!

What can we do?
    Nothing helps!

Direct X 11

Unable to find required game data files. If this problem persists, reinstalling the application may fix the situation.

Thank you!

Have you tried safe mode
    I still can not get into the game. my graphics card is not fully compatible but that never stopped me until house shattered patch. So either the game launcher is over senstive to my graphic card and crashing or the game requires you to have a better card now, i dont know. i have tried everything possible and suggested including a clean install of game and graphic card. Still crash before cryptic screen.
    From what ive been told and seen here, they are out of ideas on how to resolve this issue.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    In the same boat (support ticket ID 316589 -- October 6) .
    After a some back and forth , on October 17th the ticket was marked as "solved" , while what I got was basically "we can't help you, go look on the forums for solutions" .
    Been playing STO on the following system for over 3 years now:

MSI GS60 2QE
    GPU: gtx 970M (driver: 456.71)
    Win 7
    DirectX 11

- Tried all the suggestions in the previous "DirectX support" thread , and a few that were not there . The October 21 patch didn't help .
  • sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    bismark88 wrote: »
    I still can not get into the game. my graphics card is not fully compatible but that never stopped me until house shattered patch. So either the game launcher is over senstive to my graphic card and crashing or the game requires you to have a better card now, i dont know. i have tried everything possible and suggested including a clean install of game and graphic card. Still crash before cryptic screen.
    From what ive been told and seen here, they are out of ideas on how to resolve this issue.
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    In the same boat (support ticket ID 316589 -- October 6) .
    After a some back and forth , on October 17th the ticket was marked as "solved" , while what I got was basically "we can't help you, go look on the forums for solutions" .
    Been playing STO on the following system for over 3 years now:

MSI GS60 2QE
    GPU: gtx 970M (driver: 456.71)
    Win 7
    DirectX 11

- Tried all the suggestions in the previous "DirectX support" thread , and a few that were not there . The October 21 patch didn't help .

This is just a suggestion. So far I notice in the forum the lowest graphic card to work is gt 710 released q1 2015. Those with graphic card before 2015 not sure if working.

2 steps to try start with standalone launcher and tick safe mode under options. Then see where it crash. If the dx message comes on then it the driver. If no dx message then try to launch in the most minimum graphic settings in windows.

Try to post the error message here so maybe so others may have an idea how to help.

456.71 driver has some issues https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5091/~/geforce-hotfix-driver-version-456.71. The last good driver was Driver 442.74 (released on 3/19/2020).
    Post edited by sarah2774 on
    OPv9m3F.jpg
    sarah2774 wrote: »
    2 steps to try start with standalone launcher and tick safe mode under options. Then see where it crash. If the dx message comes on then it the driver. If no dx message then try to launch in the most minimum graphic settings in windows.

Try to post the error message here so maybe so others may have an idea how to help.

Tried stand alone launcher , w/Arc , w/Epic . Tried changing resolutions , from the lowest to the highest and back to my preferred (1600x900) .
    Tried updating DirectX .
    Tried fixing DirectX (via Happy Uninstall and other methods) .
    Still at the point where upon major changes (installing the game or changing graphics card driver to a different driver) , I get a one time pop-up (and that's not always the case) that I'll post below .
    CZ1Fhuw.png

And no matter which choice I choose of the two "failed system specs check" options , the result is:
    gRWRuJd.png

• sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited October 2020

oh ok seem that sto is finding something not there. I think only cryptic can help or someone who knows how to read dump file.

How to create a ‘Client Dump’ for the developer
    If you are asked about the Dump file associated with the crash then you should follow these steps:

Head to your installed directory of STO. The default location is in your Program Files folder, or Program Files (x86) for 64-bit versions of Windows. You’ll need to go here and even further into the Live folder.
    %PROGRAMFILES%\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live
    Find the file named crypticError.exe and launch it with the frozen STO client still running.
    Find the process named GameClient.exe and select it.
    Click on the “Send” button.
    Make sure the STO client and the CrypticError application are running during this entire process. This helps Cryptic trace and find the cause of your client freeze/crash.

How to Get Client Settings for Star Trek Online
    If Support asks you for your client settings (i.e your system settings) then you can retrieve them in the following way:

Head to the installed directory of STO. The default location is in your Program Files folder, or Program Files (x86) for 64-bit versions of Windows. You’ll need to go here and even further into the Live and then Localdata folders. %PROGRAMFILES%\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\Localdata
    Open the only file here, Gameprefs.Pref with a text editor such as Notepad.
    Select the desired text and copy it and paste it into your message. For just graphics settings, copy only the lines prefixed with PrefEntry GfxSettings.

Best of luck.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
    Yeah i get that too.
  • aerodrive1aerodrive1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    eazzie wrote: »
    aerodrive1 wrote: »
    YES me too!

What can we do?
    Nothing helps!

Direct X 11

Thank you!

Have you tried safe mode

Yes, also.
    Nothing helps.
  • vostok2vostok2 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Nothing helps! Very Frustrating Game and costumer support team, this game is full of bugs. The support team unable to handle the problems and resolve issues with their products.
    edited October 2020
    I can cautiously report that at least for today, the game seems to be running again on my Win7 (GPU gtx 970M) laptop -- apparently thanks to something in the 29.10.20 Thursday patch (which wasn't in the patch notes) .

So far the major victims were my screen settings (in-game) , which were re-set to a default 1920x1080 .
    The screen brightness and on-demand patching were also set as defaults .
    So far the only thing that is a bit different is that the screen hangs a little bit more during map transitions , but that could be a lag issue .

Here's hoping that this patch helped other players as well !
    oh ok seem that sto is finding something not there. I think only cryptic can help or someone who knows how to read dump file.
    (snip longer post)

Just wanted to thank you for trying to help with your long & detailed post .
    It didn't help in the end, but it's the thought (and word count) that counts ! :smiley:

• roninwolf1981#2968 roninwolf1981 Member Posts: 562 Arc User
    aelfwin1 wrote: »

Tried stand alone launcher , w/Arc , w/Epic . Tried changing resolutions , from the lowest to the highest and back to my preferred (1600x900) .
    Tried updating DirectX .
    Tried fixing DirectX (via Happy Uninstall and other methods) .
    Still at the point where upon major changes (installing the game or changing graphics card driver to a different driver) , I get a one time pop-up (and that's not always the case) that I'll post below .
    CZ1Fhuw.png

And no matter which choice I choose of the two "failed system specs check" options , the result is:
    gRWRuJd.png

I'm seeing that same crash log banner pop up every now and then since the Q's Winter Wonderland update.
  • mikaleezemikaleeze Member Posts: 1 New User
    i like how there is still no fixed i cant even launch the game it gets to like 75% on starting up loading screen then just quits out no crash error or anything like wtf...
    edited January 2021
    mikaleeze wrote: »
    i like how there is still no fixed i cant even launch the game it gets to like 75% on starting up loading screen then just quits out no crash error or anything like wtf...

Try safe mode. How are you launching the game? ARC Steam Epic
  • sattracresattracre Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Just started having the same problem @ about midnight...game client crashed...then wouldn't let me log back in...launcher quit working, so I looked all over the web, and had seen sooo many supposed fix's from logging in as admin, to uninstall and reinstall. even things about browser's...so after trying several different things, I uninstalled and tried to redownload...the launcher won't even patch.. it get's to 0.80%.....3.62%, even got all the way up to 18.62% before it stopped responding.

I'm running a 100+ megs per second on a digital storm game pc I bought in June that's updated and none of my other games online are having any issues.
    eazzie wrote: »
    mikaleeze wrote: »

Try safe mode. How are you launching the game? ARC Steam Epic

I myself have tried safe mode, force verify, changed from us to eu and not at all....doesn't work.
    ok...think I'm done, been tossing emails back to cryptic, ran a trace log on command prompt...see I can play eso, swtor, defiance, defiance 2050 no problem, just downloaded ME3 in less than 20 min, but the game client launcher for sto can't patch or download the game? I don't think a lifetime membership to STO is in my future, not w/ these kinds of things happening, I couldn't trust the game or the launcher to behave like it's supposed to...be playable on a Digital Storm game PC.
    Try launching the game directly from the install location. Go to were you have STO installed . Look for an application file called Star Trek Online
    You will however need to manually type in your log on credentials
    I've tried dns flush, direct launch, looked @ allllll kinds of things on the web, and tried a few, conversing back and forth w/ "game master's" via email, and nothing is working. When I pull cntrl X, the http says "0". so something is up w/ the connection, but as I said in an ealier post, I can play eso, defiance, swtor, download anything, except sto, but I give up, I'll take my money elsewhere, thank god I didn't get a lifetime membership or I'd be really pissed.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    Well, I did not have this problem until today, the first day of the Anniversary, when the launcher update crashed my comp right to blue screen, followed by repeated crashes of the launcher, despite Force Verify. Sent in a ticket; I can only hope there is an emergency maintenance patch quickly... -_-
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013