test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Livestream with Cryptic QA on Friday.

Comments

• westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    kurtron wrote: »
    There is no one single thing that "people" are doing. "People" are doing a lot of different things. It is true that some people are going way overboard, but it is also true that some people are voicing legitimate concerns so it is false to claim otherwise.

This. And indeed there are some minority of people who are taking the critiquing way too far, but I've witnessed at least as many jumping to defend just as enthusiastically.

Its usually the same 2 people who defend too enthusiastically. Sthe, and Som. There are other people who are similar to them, but honestly no one tops Som, Som tends to shove himself into every thread remotely critical of Cryptic or the game.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    westx211 wrote: »
    There is no one single thing that "people" are doing. "People" are doing a lot of different things. It is true that some people are going way overboard, but it is also true that some people are voicing legitimate concerns so it is false to claim otherwise.

This. And indeed there are some minority of people who are taking the critiquing way too far, but I've witnessed at least as many jumping to defend just as enthusiastically.

Its usually the same 2 people who defend too enthusiastically. Sthe, and Som. There are other people who are similar to them, but honestly no one tops Som, Som tends to shove himself into every thread remotely critical of Cryptic or the game.

I do not defend Cryptic. So stop falsely accusing me of doing so. I want peace in these forums and when people like you and others attack Som, attack rattler and others it does not help. You do not know me. I also have been critical of Cryptic in the past and do not agree with every decision they have made. I also know that those who work at Cryptic Studios are human beings and should be treated as such instead of flamed, attacked, etc. The golden rule: Do unto others as you would want done to you that includes people with different viewpoints without violating forum rules.

As for this interview with QA Part 2 this is a good thing and helps to understand what QA does, does not do, and what we can do to help QA in their mission.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    sthe91 wrote: »

I do not defend Cryptic. So stop falsely accusing me of doing so. I want peace in these forums and when people like you and others attack Som, attack rattler and others it does not help. You do not know me. I also have been critical of Cryptic in the past and do not agree with every decision they have made. I also know that those who work at Cryptic Studios are human beings and should be treated as such instead of flamed, attacked, etc. The golden rule: Do unto others as you would want done to you that includes people with different viewpoints without violating forum rules.

As for this interview with QA Part 2 this is a good thing and helps to understand what QA does, does not do, and what we can do to help QA in their mission.

Its not an attack to say that he has a habit of jumping into every critical thread. Its a fact that he does so, if a thread has criticism towards the game 9 times out of 10 he will show up.

And you do defend them to an extent, why are you acting so hostile towards my comment? (I mean you thank them almost every update, even the really bad updates)
    edited October 2020

Its not an attack to say that he has a habit of jumping into every critical thread. Its a fact that he does so, if a thread has criticism towards the game 9 times out of 10 he will show up.

And you do defend them to an extent, why are you acting so hostile towards my comment? (I mean you thank them almost every update, even the really bad updates)

Jumping into almost every thread that you consider critical does not mean he is a Cryptic defender. I bear no hostility towards you or others who believe as you do. I thank them when things are updated are fixed and when things need to be re-fixed because those who work at Cryptic Studios are human beings and it is good to thank those who provide a service. I still wish the House Shattered update had been on Tribble so it had not exploded the way it did on Holodeck.

Jumping into almost every thread that you consider critical does not mean he is a Cryptic defender. I bear no hostility towards you or others who believe as you do. I thank them when things are updated are fixed and when things need to be re-fixed because those who work at Cryptic Studios are human beings and it is good to thank those who provide a service. I still wish the House Shattered update had been on Tribble so it had not exploded the way it did on Holodeck.

Listen man. Look at it this way, if someone jumps into 90% of all threads directing criticism towards Cryptic, and defends them, does that not mean they are a "Cryptic Defender"?

Like come on. There's a reason he's called that, its not something that people made up, its his actions that defined the title. And you still thank them even when they make updates that break things more than they fix.

At some point yes they are human beings, but human beings can in fact mess up at their job, maybe even be "bad" at their job.
    edited October 2020

Listen man. Look at it this way, if someone jumps into 90% of all threads directing criticism towards Cryptic, and defends them, does that not mean they are a "Cryptic Defender"?

Like come on. There's a reason he's called that, its not something that people made up, its his actions that defined the title. And you still thank them even when they make updates that break things more than they fix.

At some point yes they are human beings, but human beings can in fact mess up at their job, maybe even be "bad" at their job.

But is he defending them though? I have looked at several of these threads where he explains things Cryptic does. Those posts do not necessarily mean defense of Cryptic on his part. How about you ask him yourself if he is a defender of Cryptic? I do not necessarily agree with him all the time though just as I do not agree with rattlers and others. Yes, I admit that human beings can mess up at their job but piling on to them is not helpful either. How would you like to be in a job where no one thanks you for your work? I want to provide constructive criticism not destructive criticism. Too many days since this COVID-19 pandemic I have seen tempers on these forums flare and people at each other's proverbial throats.

I again said I wish this had been tested on Tribble first. If I worked for Cryptic, you would see more professionalism, things tested on Tribble first, a database of the bugs they are working on (I currently have bookmarked 35 pages of bugs since I starting playing Star Trek Online a few months after it became free-to-play), connecting the social media platforms into the Arc forums so when something is posted on Reddit, Twitter, etc it is then posted on to the official forums through a bot or by someone else, correct blog posts, a better calendar in-game or an online calendar featuring the events on the Star Trek Online homepage, copy and paste working for the Arc launcher, mandatory spell-check, resolution to the Akamai situation and keeping players in the know, no questionable non-disclosure agreements, etc.
    Post edited by sthe91 on
  • livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    @sthe91
    It literally, factually was tested. And they explained in their livestreams why they did not encounter the bugs on their end and why those bugs can happen.

The problem is, people on the forums have stopped caring about that. It's all about jumping on Cryptic or the devs should they even move a muscle on ANYTHING at this point and crucifying them. And there is an astonishing lack of self responsibility here on these forums. People here are literally trying to justify their toxic, YES, toxic, immature and moronic behavior on everyone but themselves and its kinda pathetic. it has stopped being about the game being better, and just about being angry and hateful for the sake of it.

Here is an example of real criticism:

"Hey I noticed this thing is broken, or is not working as intended. Maybe you could try this or do this and see if it works, thank you." And then you chill. That's it.

Here is what "criticism" looks like on these forums:

"F**k Cryptic. They are evil and bad. There must be a conspiracy. We are being victimized. This game sucks. This TFO sucks. This sucks, sucks sucks sucks. Why are we not being catered to in exactly the way we please. Why are we not getting perfection? Why has Cryptic not taken it upon themselves to perfect how all coding and programming works. Oh and anyone that DARES say anything positive is being paid by Cryptic to do so. Also, I as a criticizer can not and should not be called out, or have my posts criticized by my peers in any way, shape or form or else I am being victimized and oppressed. I should have complete carte blanche to say whatever I want and have no consequences of my public speech from my peers."

^ That is all BS. And I don't fault the mods or the devs from not interacting with that. And frankly, they should continue to not do so as it would yield literally nothing as these same people are dead set on NEVER being satisfied with anything and at this point, just seek to spread their misery. And a lot of us have had enough of it.

It bears repeating. if you are this unhappy with this game, the devs, the company, then as maga trash say, GTFO.
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    > @sthe91 said:
    > Leave Som alone! Enough of this fighting in the forums!

https://youtu.be/zSufJgCXwnw
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    > @livinlifejb90#4082 said:
    > It bears repeating. if you are this unhappy with this game, the devs, the company, then as maga trash say, GTFO.

You can repeat it all you want or phrase it anyway you like. It just does not become correct that way.

Angry & toxic people in forums and streams demonstrate their dedication towards this title. The way they vent is just one part of their dedication.

Having them leave means less dedicated people around which is worse for STO as a game than if they’d stick around voicing their concern with emphasis. 😉
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    It bears repeating. if you are this unhappy with this game, the devs, the company, then as maga trash say, GTFO.

It's just fantastic the way all your posts are rage posts about how much you hate people raging on the forums.

You should start breaking your Prozac in half.. obviously your dosage needs adjusting. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User

It's just fantastic the way all your posts are rage posts about how much you hate people raging on the forums.

You should start breaking your Prozac in half.. obviously your dosage needs adjusting. :lol:

Either that, or double it. :p Thanks for the laugh. Whether I'll still be laughing come Friday, after the Q&A, remains to be seen.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited October 2020
    > @reyan01 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I find the fact that I could be considered "angry and toxic" for bemoaning the fact that Cryptic have been ignoring requests for the Nova class to receive attention for the past six years painfully disappointing.

I would not worry. Unlike me you have the habit of staying polite as well as on the constructive side with your criticism. :p

By the way. You made me angry too when you requested to get the Nova thread closed. >:)
    animated.gif
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    @sthe91

While I seen many express concern and some take it a bit too far, few had gone as far as to appear toxic. You are clearly one of them as your comment proves it. I mean seriously - in any other game forum you would had been at least warned by now if not taken an initial temporary ban. You single handed attacked everyone who ever made a comment about something they want changed and expressed it.

What needs to stop is personal attacks as fellow players arent your enemies even if the hold a widely different opinion, and not all what you say. Improvement however, in real world too, is driven by critism. IF everyone believes all is fine then everything stays as it is - cause its fine, it doesnt need to improve. What some people, who like the game mind you, say and complain about are some (mostly) common sense improvements. Constructive critism helps spot imperfections, screwups and set prioritities(or at least it should).

A well known problem throughout cryptic games(not only from players but also through online press that try their games), is they have rightfully built the reputation that they make Fun games but very Unpolished, even by indie company standards. This has to improve one or another, if they want a good growth for their games. Apparently their QA department isnt enough, or the time they give their QA department to test things isnt enough - or they need to promote testing through their test server like many other mmos do. I follow like 25+ mmos on Twitter and only ones that never post about new things on test server are STO, CO and NWO for example.

edited October 2020
    > @coldnapalm said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Yeah...but it was a testament to how much the ball was being dropped.

Yep for sure.

It was one of best demonstration of how dedicated the players of this title can get.

One can forgive Cryptic all. The corona time with hardly any content, the bugs, everything.

But the lack of respect for its players by going into hiding. That’s simply shabby.
    animated.gif
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    reyan01 wrote: »
    > @reyan01 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I find the fact that I could be considered "angry and toxic" for bemoaning the fact that Cryptic have been ignoring requests for the Nova class to receive attention for the past six years painfully disappointing.

I would not worry. Unlike me you have the habit of staying polite as well as on the constructive side with your criticism. :p

By the way. You made me angry too when you requested to get the Nova thread closed. >:)

Well, it had run its course really - its not like the Devs don't know that the 'vocal minority' want it to happen. Six years of asking (here, on social media and in livestreams) and a two year old thread, which the Devs either ignored or didn't care about, have made no difference to the matter whatsoever.

Yeah...but it was a testament to how much the ball was being dropped.

I guess - but honestly, at this point I can't see the issue as anything more than a lost cause.

If I'm honest, I'm still a little offended that the appearance of the Luna class in 'Lower Decks' = sudden priority for Luna class T6 attention. I'm more than aware of the reasoning etc behind it, and don't begrudge anyone who was looking forward to the Luna getting this treatment, but I don't feel its unreasonable to be disappointed that we have this scenario where ships appearing in any of the series get priority over one that has been consistently ignored for so many years. I don't care what anyone says, it doesn't bode well when the priority is always shifted away from it.

Oh trust me, EVERY Romulan player knows how you feel. And we so far has not been shafted NEARLY as hard as fans of the Nova have been. After it won a bloody poll no less. It's why it is the ONLY fed ship I would be okay with...hell even support getting released. Even as a solo release, I am okay with that. The Luna on the other hand better come with all the other factions...or rage from me will be forthcoming. If it doesn't come with at least the KDF side ship...yeah they can just scrape this whole year of the Klingon as utter BS at that point and I am gonna push the nuclear option.

I agree with you fully and I am mostly KDF, but first I am more calm naturally so you wont see me go nuclear and I got a big BUT there to be fair. I dont think it was a good year for Feds either since most of their ships(without KDF/ROM/JH counterpart) were in promo boxes, lockboxes or strange packs(ships of the line).

last c-store crossfaction bundles

July 2019:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11206743-the-temporal-warship-bundle!

december 2019:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11262123-new-intel-science-vessels!

august 2020:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11477183-cross-faction-support-carrier-bundle

So yes one ship for KDF in 2020 you can say two for Romulans IF you count the Romulan pack and one for JH - that is all for c-store for 3 factions. Feds had the support carrier too and I think ships of the line pack for c-store and a good amount of ships in boxes of all sorts. Still I dont think they enjoyed seeing their ships in boxes.

Notice the Dec 2019 pack was a sci vessels pack, if they wanted to release a nova along with one sci per each factions it was a good chance back then. Speaking of sci vessels I would love the dyson line to get T6 treatment at some point.
    edited October 2020
    > @reyan01 said:
    The thing that bothers me most about the issue is the implied 'vocal minority' thing. I mean, at what point does a minority stop being one?

It is also a bit of a ironic term considering how many times we got ships literally nobody asked for not to mention all of Cryptics fantasy crafts that had zero popularity indicators in advance.

Even if we’d let that assumption be true, (not enough interest in the Nova as ship itself) it is still not convincing to withhold a release as stuff like exchangeable special consoles, traits and preferable boff specialization can secure sales to make it successful either way. Such stuff works splendid to bind players like me and they make use of it all the time.
    animated.gif
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    > @reyan01 said:
    > (Quote)
    >

Well, it had run its course really - its not like the Devs don't know that the 'vocal minority' want it to happen. Six years of asking (here, on social media and in livestreams) and a two year old thread, which the Devs either ignored or didn't care about, have made no difference to the matter whatsoever.

Yeah...but it was a testament to how much the ball was being dropped.

I guess - but honestly, at this point I can't see the issue as anything more than a lost cause.

If I'm honest, I'm still a little offended that the appearance of the Luna class in 'Lower Decks' = sudden priority for Luna class T6 attention. I'm more than aware of the reasoning etc behind it, and don't begrudge anyone who was looking forward to the Luna getting this treatment, but I don't feel its unreasonable to be disappointed that we have this scenario where ships appearing in any of the series get priority over one that has been consistently ignored for so many years. I don't care what anyone says, it doesn't bode well when the priority is always shifted away from it.

Oh trust me, EVERY Romulan player knows how you feel. And we so far has not been shafted NEARLY as hard as fans of the Nova have been. After it won a bloody poll no less. It's why it is the ONLY fed ship I would be okay with...hell even support getting released. Even as a solo release, I am okay with that. The Luna on the other hand better come with all the other factions...or rage from me will be forthcoming. If it doesn't come with at least the KDF side ship...yeah they can just scrape this whole year of the Klingon as utter BS at that point and I am gonna push the nuclear option.

It just occurred to me that in light of the performance of the Rhode Island on the show against the Klingons that the Nova/Rhode Island, instead of science scouts they would fit the STO definition of science destroyer better (and it has ports in the hull that would be perfect for heavy cannon mounts). And there is an unused canon KDF (KDF at least in STO anyway) ship that would be perfect as the counterpart to it in a red/blue double release: the Gorn ship from TOS-Remastered.

The Gorn ship was apparently just big enough to carry a landing party able to conquer a Federation outpost and stick around long enough to pick up that landing force instead of bugging out immediately when Enterprise showed up, but still small enough that they felt it better to run than challenge a Fed heavy battlecruiser. Also they accelerated faster than Enterprise even though the top speed was about the same which falls right in line with the extra maneuverability of science destroyers in tactical mode in the game.

The game could probably fit a pair of new science destroyers easier than it could yet another pair of science scouts. The possible caveat could be the complexity of the Gorn ship's mesh, it may not look up to par with the newer STO ships with the polycount reduced to game level (the Yeager class would probably have the same problem though the impression that it has a Maquis raider as a secondary hull instead of the larger freighter is probably a bigger problem with that ship).
  • phanty43phanty43 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    On Q&A Topic

Would there be any chance of adding a fleet mark option to Borg Tfo's :)

And secondly as its year of the Klingon would there be any chance of any Ferasan ships even if it was a skin to the new carrier.

Thx :)
    > @coldnapalm said:
    > Also for the first part...you really want them to touch anything that works right now? REALLY? Brave man...utterly foolish...but brave.

lol yep. The way this would work out is that spheres would suddenly end up using feedback pulses all of them with infected space being the only source of fleetmarks game wide for 3-4 weeks. :|

Lets not touch that please.
    animated.gif
    If they make T6 Dyson ships I think they should do just 1 per faction instead of another 9 pack. I think we stopped getting 9 packs of ships because they were growing unpopular. And well they kind of were.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    Should they choose to put T6 Dyson ships in a 9-pack or not is less of an issue than whether they also make them available individually since the free tokens from event campaigns do not apply to multipacks.

Also they have more than just "kitbashy" canon ships they could do, like the TOS-R Gorn ship, and the McQuarrie Planet of Titans ship that was partially visible in the background in TMP and completely visible in the mothball yard in TNG and so is obviously a different class from the Crossfield. In fact the mothball yard had several candidate versions of the Excelsior including the four-engine "tennis racket" and a considerably different two-engine version from the one seen in the movie that could easily be called a different class.

Also, some of those kitbashes were actually pretty good, and at least one of them (the Centaur) is actually in the game already and none of them are any worse than some of the DSC ones.

The Jupp type would work very well as a Saladin equivalent with its old armored TOS style saucer and TMP engines, and the twin engine configuration even negates the "nacelles must be in pairs" objection. For the TOS era fans it would be a welcome addition (especially if it had round engines as an option) since they really have no T6 ships except very rare and hideously expensive Constitution variants or the buy-twice-to-get-one-ship nonsense of having to purchase both the T6 temporal ship and the T5, like the Paladin wearing a Ranger as a skin.

The Raging Queen/Curry type is ugly and ungainly looking but has some of the so ugly it is cute effect that an Eagle from Space 1999 has.

The Hutzel... well that one does not make any sense at all, there is no conceivable reason to clamp two different saucer tops together and slap three engines on it and it is probably best forgotten about.

The Yeager class is another good one, an Intrepid saucer mated to a freighter hull (yes it looks like the Maquis raider, but it isn't, it is a larger freighter glimpsed onscreen (and flipped over) for maybe a whole second or so, a fact of life when they have a limited set of physical models to work with). The idea of using a civilian freighter hull is actually very realistic, they did a lot of that in WWII with things like "jeep" carriers and other mostly second string warships. It would probably be too high-poly for the game though since it uses most of two whole ship models. There were at least two of them built since (possibly because of an error in editing) you can occasionally see two of them around DS9 and it may have turned out to be a better performer than expected, like the Centaur class was.

The Bradford type containerized cargo pod hauler. Assuming they beefed up pods to use as weapons placements and a place to stick extra reactors it might not make a bad warship, though it could have simply been a front line supply ship. Again, WWII equivalences make it realistic and even desirable for RP purposes though to be fair unless it has some great trait it would probably not be a great seller because I suspect not many play armed freighter/q-ship captains.

The Elkins type has potential, it looks very good from the top for instance, but the Tomcat model that was used as the secondary hull would need a lot of work to look good from any other angle.
This discussion has been closed.