test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    I'm fully expecting a lot of pitchforks at this livestream... -_-
    Just wish people would stop with the "crucify them every time they twich" attitude. Not saying that they're not above criticizm, but when its literally attack for everything, up to and including existing at all... its a wonder we hear anything at all over the torches.
    *sigh*
    I'm just tired of the whole rage mentality every time they do something these days. It makes no sense to me.

Looking forward to the cliffnotes summary if there is one.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    > @rattler2 said:
    > I'm fully expecting a lot of pitchforks at this livestream... -_-
    > Just wish people would stop with the "crucify them every time they twich" attitude. Not saying that they're not above criticizm, but when its literally attack for everything, up to and including existing at all... its a wonder we hear anything at all over the torches.
    > *sigh*
    > I'm just tired of the whole rage mentality every time they do something these days. It makes no sense to me.
    >
    > Looking forward to the cliffnotes summary if there is one.

Yea but what do you expect after such an release?

-Thanks for that new engaging PvE with all it’s interesting new game mechanics we never had before?

- Thanks for the new story mission with its mostly re used settings?

- Thanks for t6x with it’s more choices to make for the player ensuring an even larger power gap between us?

- Thanks for finally getting back on the blunt power creep train with the trait released on the new mirror warship?

- Thanks for having us respec all our toons just one time?

- Thanks for such a bug free release?

The only positive thing about the whole update was enabling the option of soloplay in the new event map. That gives me the chance to let it autoconclude on its own with me being afk without annoying anybody.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    I'm not expecting praise for everything.
    Its just that over the last year we've basically seen nothing but rage whenever they do ANYTHING.
    Yes how this update went out was a disaster, but too many people are treating it like yet another personal attack against the playerbase. And anyone who isn't on the rage train is obviously an agent of the enemy. The flames got worse than Delta Rising. And that's saying something as that was pretty hot back then.

I just don't see the point of going all Hulk Smash over something that was beyond their control in this case. Hell... I was EXPECTING a few bugs honestly. NO ONE could have predicted it would be this bad. I guess its just easier to go into attack mode than anything else. And some of the things that got raged against this year... make no sense either. Things that weren't tied to YoK updates, and its fangs out, get the pitchforks.

I can understand frustration at times. I just... don't see why the need to rage over EVERYTHING. What's the point of raging? It doesn't solve anything, and it drowns out legit feedback that actually COULD help. All raging does honestly is polarize the playerbase, in many cases unintentionally because some like me don't just default to Hulk Smash at the drop of a hat, raises stress levels even more, and ultimately... causes the Mods even more headaches trying to mediate.

Rage posting doesn't help anyone. In fact... realistically, it hurts a cause more than helps.

db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    > @rattler2 said:
    > I'm not expecting praise for everything.
    > Its just that over the last year we've basically seen nothing but rage whenever they do ANYTHING.
    > Yes how this update went out was a disaster, but too many people are treating it like yet another personal attack against the playerbase. And anyone who isn't on the rage train is obviously an agent of the enemy. The flames got worse than Delta Rising. And that's saying something as that was pretty hot back then.
    >
    > I just don't see the point of going all Hulk Smash over something that was beyond their control in this case. Hell... I was EXPECTING a few bugs honestly. NO ONE could have predicted it would be this bad. I guess its just easier to go into attack mode than anything else. And some of the things that got raged against this year... make no sense either. Things that weren't tied to YoK updates, and its fangs out, get the pitchforks.
    >
    > I can understand frustration at times. I just... don't see why the need to rage over EVERYTHING. What's the point of raging? It doesn't solve anything, and it drowns out legit feedback that actually COULD help. All raging does honestly is polarize the playerbase, in many cases unintentionally because some like me don't just default to Hulk Smash at the drop of a hat, raises stress levels even more, and ultimately... causes the Mods even more headaches trying to mediate.
    >
    > Rage posting doesn't help anyone. In fact... realistically, it hurts a cause more than helps.

THIS.

The community has been growing more and more toxic, where anything the devs or community mods do or don't go incites murderous mob rage. At this point I think people just enjoy getting angry and they want everyone to be angry with them. There seems to be an enjoyment of being victimized happening.

They've already explained why this happened and why they didn't experience it on their end before releasing it. But it doesn't matter. Even when the base is given an explanation to their plight, people just enjoy crucifying them. And anyone that doesn't agree with them.

And then there is the whole "I'm not responsible for my poor behavior, the devs are!" mentality that is spreading like wildfire in the community. Like it makes complete sense why the teams have switched to a "avoid the player base as much as possible" strategy. Because no matter what they do, it's wrong and bad and evil.

People also seem to fail to understand game development, and that coding and programming is not flawless. And everyone turns into an armchair developer who thinks they know better. People see this as a black and white thing when its much more nuanced and that there are way more factors at work than people are willing to even think about. It's unfortunate, because I can see how this would drive away new players, which will only hasten the game shutting down. MMo's rely on constantly bringing in new players. But if I was a new player, and i saw all this toxicity, i would not even bother.
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yea but what do you expect after such an release?

-Thanks for that new engaging PvE with all it’s interesting new game mechanics we never had before?

- Thanks for the new story mission with its mostly re used settings?

- Thanks for t6x with it’s more choices to make for the player ensuring an even larger power gap between us?

- Thanks for finally getting back on the blunt power creep train with the trait released on the new mirror warship?

- Thanks for having us respec all our toons just one time?

- Thanks for such a bug free release?

Exactly, then if you show frustration on the forum you're accused of 'rage posting' by those that think of themselves as some holy forum paragon.

Yes, they're going to get backlash.. and yes, they deserve it. If they want to reduce this, they can start by doing a better job. Releasing content with this degree of non functioning features is not something the player base should excuse. Should we get out pitch forks and start yelling for people to be fired? No.. but we should do things like suspend our spending and stop making excuses like 'they're working from home' to justify what an inexcusably terrible job they have done.

Expecting better and voicing legitimate concern does not equate to 'rage posting.' This release was poorly done by any real standards and the player base has the right to ask for better going forward.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    edited October 2020
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Exactly, then if you show frustration on the forum you're accused of 'rage posting' by those that think of themselves as some holy forum paragon.
    >
    > Yes, they're going to get backlash.. and yes, they deserve it. If they want to reduce this, they can start by doing a better job. Releasing content with this degree of non functioning features is not something the player base should excuse. Should we get out pitch forks and start yelling for people to be fired? No.. but we should do things like suspend our spending and stop making excuses like 'they're working from home' to justify what an inexcusably terrible job they have done.
    >
    > Expecting better and voicing legitimate concern does not equate to 'rage posting.' This release was poorly done by any real standards and the player base has the right to ask for better going forward.

Voicing legitimate concern would be great. But that's not what people are doing. People are acting like 12 year olds stomping their feet and telling mommy they hate her and then slamming their door. None of the threads I see are constructive. Its all "cryptic is bad" "I hate this" "this is stupid" "why isn't this game specifically catered to what I want". Thats all.

And yes, the people supposedly "voicing legitimate concern" are acting like jerks and then trying to blame their behavior on everyone else.

And then what's ironic, is that all of you posting this "legitimate concern" think that you are above reproach that anything you post PUBLICLY is not also up scrutiny. Which it is. If y'all want to get on Cryptic's case, then you need to accept that people are allowed to criticize your criticism and behavior. which basically just makes you all hypocrites, which then just invalidates your opinions anyway.

How about people start acting like adults? That would be fabulous! and for the record, hurling abuse at the devs, or community mods or cryptic is not "voicing legitimate concern.

If you are this unhappy, then LEAVE. stop ruining it for everyone else.
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    And then what's ironic, is that all of you posting this "legitimate concern" think that you are above reproach that anything you post PUBLICLY is not also up scrutiny. Which it is. If y'all want to get on Cryptic's case, then you need to accept that people are allowed to criticize your criticism and behavior. which basically just makes you all hypocrites, which then just invalidates your opinions anyway.

How about people start acting like adults? That would be fabulous! and for the record, hurling abuse at the devs, or community mods or cryptic is not "voicing legitimate concern.

That's really great the way you made up a view point for me and then attacked me based on that fictional viewpoint. Very nicely done, but next time try not to make it so transparent.

I literally never said or did anything you just decided to accuse me of, and as for me leaving.. if I am unhappy, I will leave, otherwise I will stay and voice my concerns. I acknowledge that there is a small subset that is being too aggressive in their criticism, just like there is an equally irrational subset that defends Cryptic under any circumstance. Neither is the norm, and should not be treated as such.

Extremest view points are, in any case rarely correct and even more rarely rational. A good example would be the unprovoked aggression you seem to be bringing against me for some reason.

Insert witty signature line here.
  • jameswilliejameswillie Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    I never seem to be available to listen to the livestreams, but do read the cliffnotes that are left on the message borad, which i appreciate very much. I'm just curious if anyone knows if the 3 1/2 year old bug of disappearing ground weapons, when one activates an ability, has ever been addressed. I have posted a couple times in the bugs section, and other players have confirmed the bug, but it never has been squashed. I have pretty much given up hope at this point, but its just one of those things that just irritates me the most, even more than lag and ruuberbanding. To me it ruins the ground combat immersion, but thats just me.
    I never seem to be available to listen to the livestreams, but do read the cliffnotes that are left on the message borad, which i appreciate very much. I'm just curious if anyone knows if the 3 1/2 year old bug of disappearing ground weapons, when one activates an ability, has ever been addressed. I have posted a couple times in the bugs section, and other players have confirmed the bug, but it never has been squashed. I have pretty much given up hope at this point, but its just one of those things that just irritates me the most, even more than lag and ruuberbanding. To me it ruins the ground combat immersion, but thats just me.

Nope. Still happens. Doesn't seem to be as much of a problem for players as it is for BOffs though. BOffs seem to hesitate a bit after using a power because "where's my gun?"
  • jameswilliejameswillie Member Posts: 149 Arc User

Nope. Still happens. Doesn't seem to be as much of a problem for players as it is for BOffs though. BOffs seem to hesitate a bit after using a power because "where's my gun?"[/quote]

Yea the BOFFS seem to just stand there ready to wrestle. For me its just that one bug that annoys the hell outa me over anything else. I know there are plenty worse ones out there, but that one is like an itch I cant reach. Though its good to know others are still experiencing it. Just would be nice if Cryptic at least acknowledged it since it never happened until an update they did in the middle of the last Mirror Invasion event. Oh well...maybe next update lolol.
    edited October 2020
    > @livinlifejb90#4082 said:
    > If you are this unhappy, then LEAVE. stop ruining it for everyone else.

The absurdity of your post gets nicely summed up in your final sentence.

I left, for a year. What left with me was 400-500€ money donations I had otherwise given to Crypic as well as a few friends supporting STO in a similar magnitude. What also left were a couple of hundred public PvE maps we would have run.

If players get angry and let it out in form of venting steam at their officials it’s a major indicator how dedicated they are to STO. They are giving this game (including you) a chance and that against all problems.

If they leave they have given up and the devs, their jobs and you are in a weaker position than if they are around.

Suggesting someone else to leave is kinda the worst thing you can do if you happen to hold STO dear.
    animated.gif
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Oh, don't forget stealth nerf of Advanced Phasers/Disruptors(?).
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited October 2020
    > @ltminns said:
    > Oh, don't forget stealth nerf of Advanced Phasers/Disruptors(?).

Ah! Right.

- Thanks for bringing more balance to game by devaluating players progression in form of advanced phasers and disruptor.

See! Totally polite. 🙆🏻‍♀️
    animated.gif
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    QA spots bugs, doesnt fix them. Usually there arent coders so probably he is the wrong guy for all this. Still, QA doesnt seem to spot major and easy to spot bugs so my guess is their QA teams is like 2-3 people only
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Exactly, then if you show frustration on the forum you're accused of 'rage posting' by those that think of themselves as some holy forum paragon.
    >
    > Yes, they're going to get backlash.. and yes, they deserve it. If they want to reduce this, they can start by doing a better job. Releasing content with this degree of non functioning features is not something the player base should excuse. Should we get out pitch forks and start yelling for people to be fired? No.. but we should do things like suspend our spending and stop making excuses like 'they're working from home' to justify what an inexcusably terrible job they have done.
    >
    > Expecting better and voicing legitimate concern does not equate to 'rage posting.' This release was poorly done by any real standards and the player base has the right to ask for better going forward.

Voicing legitimate concern would be great. But that's not what people are doing. People are acting like 12 year olds stomping their feet and telling mommy they hate her and then slamming their door. None of the threads I see are constructive. Its all "cryptic is bad" "I hate this" "this is stupid" "why isn't this game specifically catered to what I want". Thats all.

And yes, the people supposedly "voicing legitimate concern" are acting like jerks and then trying to blame their behavior on everyone else.

Six posts on the forum and telling everyone how to act. Thats real interesting

If you tell your customers to leave they will, and they'll tell everyone they know to stay as far away from you as possible. Calling them 'toxic' is flat out abusive, to the point of bordering on gaslighting and victim blaming. Thats not a good thing for any business to promote if they want to make money and have good PR

and I would be very careful about accusations of 'hurling abuse' at devs, considering certain devs have a history of shall we say questionable behavior toward the players in that regard. Remember what happened to anyone stating that the game was going f2p back in the day, including the guy who literally had proof of it? They got threatened to shut up and banned for 'conspiracy theories' when the people doing it knew full well it was going to happen, as later got out. Then there is the whole abusive tirade a certain dev went on a few years back that was quietly hushed up. Said certain dev also has a much more recent history of abusive statements toward people, including sto players at times, for their political views, on his cryptic twitter account no less. Apparently unaware that california is one of two states where political views are an explicitly protected class under state civil rights laws - making it a hate crime to do what he was and continues to do at times, that could get both him and the company into some very serious hot water if anyone got angry enough to make an issue of it. Cryptic really should be clamping down on that behavior before it ends up getting them into a PR nightmare

The point is you had better be real careful pointing that particular finger at players as it goes both ways
    QA spots bugs, doesnt fix them. Usually there arent coders so probably he is the wrong guy for all this. Still, QA doesnt seem to spot major and easy to spot bugs so my guess is their QA teams is like 2-3 people only

QA is in a weird place where they tend to have a bit of everything skill wise. You might be surprised how many people hired into QA positions are programmers. Not that they would be doing coding work as part of their jobs, but it can help with identifying suspected issues. Many companies use it as a stepping stone into more traditional dev positions, sometimes even hiring people they don't have other positions for at the time into QA and having them move up when a new position opens, so as to avoid losing useful people to other companies
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    I have 2 actual questions.
    1) How much power does QA have? Can they stop something from going live? I play other games that have schedule slippage, and while no one's happy about it, most players are fine waiting for a better product.

2) Could we get some sort of response to bug reports? Even a one word response saying "opened" would be nice.
    edited October 2020
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Voicing legitimate concern would be great. But that's not what people are doing.

There is no one single thing that "people" are doing. "People" are doing a lot of different things. It is true that some people are going way overboard, but it is also true that some people are voicing legitimate concerns so it is false to claim otherwise.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • pritch#1622 pritch Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    The game has had a lot of issues lately. With the exception of a brief warning before emergency maintenance, what I haven't seen is any acknowledgment or apology from Cryptic for this, unless I've missed it. As I said in another thread recently, I think that's a problem because it already means people feel they have to shout louder to be heard. That's not really acceptable when people are paying, some people quite a lot, to play this game.

So those of you who are condemning those with complaints, I really think you are defending the indefensible until Cryptic starts better engaging with the player base. I don't think anyone expects a MMO to be working flawlessly all the time, and certainly when new content is pushed out. But to not engage with your customers or take ownership of these mistakes is to invite this kind of reaction from frustrated players. Moreover, it is not a good way to run any sort of business.

The frustrations I have seen expressed on the forum and in-game are, in my opinion, legitimate and not toxic. Branding them as such is disingenuous and wrong.
  • darknovasc01darknovasc01 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    They've already explained why this happened and why they didn't experience it on their end before releasing it. But it doesn't matter. Even when the base is given an explanation to their plight, people just enjoy crucifying them. And anyone that doesn't agree with them.

Perhaps actually posting these explanations on the forums for the game, as they did at one time, rather than dropping the odd Twitter or Facebook post, might be an idea - or at the very least repeating them here, so we do not have to rely on hearing them second hand from those who follow social media. The majority of 'official' forum communications I can recollect seeing of late, other than patch notes and the occasional lore post, are the usual plugs for the latest event or money-spinner.

There is no longer any real apparent effort to engage the playerbase on the forums intended for that purpose, not even a simple 'sorry, something unexpected happened'. I used to work in software development, and even at the much lower level of complexity in comparison to game development at which I was involved I am quite familiar with the difficulties in moving from a test environment where everything works perfectly to a live one where something inevitably breaks, particularly when budgets and resources are stretched. So, I will not engage in the accusations of incompetence and the like that you reference, at least on the development side.

But, if you do not engage effectively with your 'users' - and I do not consider the fire-and-forget announcements that we get here as real communication and engagement - both when something is sucessful but far more importantly when something goes wrong, then rampant speculation, accusations and general toxicity are only to be expected to some degree. And, unfortunately, that the current status-quo has been allowed to persist for so long has only made things worse.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'm fully expecting a lot of pitchforks at this livestream... -_-
    Just wish people would stop with the "crucify them every time they twich" attitude. Not saying that they're not above criticizm, but when its literally attack for everything, up to and including existing at all... its a wonder we hear anything at all over the torches.
    *sigh*
    I'm just tired of the whole rage mentality every time they do something these days. It makes no sense to me.

Looking forward to the cliffnotes summary if there is one.

And I'm tired of certain ppl always wanting to come off as the voice of reason. There's no 'rage mentality', just Cryptic TRIBBLE up one thing after another, and ppl subsequently being highly annoyed the Devs can never be bothered to test their stuff, like, I dunno, log on, for a change, and play their own TFO, maybe? And then they nerfed my Advanced Phasers into oblivion. They've got some splaining to do. They won't, of course -- and that's another thing that ticks ppl off.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    > @meimeitoo said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    >
    > And I'm tired of certain ppl always wanting to come off as the voice of reason. There's no 'rage mentality', just Cryptic TRIBBLE up one thing after another, and ppl subsequently being highly annoyed the Devs can never be bothered to test their stuff, like, I dunno, log on, for a change, and play their own TFO, maybe? And then they nerfed my Advanced Phasers into oblivion. They've got some splaining to do. They won't, of course -- and that's another thing that ticks ppl off.

Oh there definitely is a "rage mentality" on these forums. Saying there isn't is just straight up denial dude.

People are expecting literal perfection and then going into crucifixion mode when you don't get it. And they have literally explained why this updated was so borked, the rest of you just don't like the answers, and that's on you.

"I'll be the victim!"

"All your life..."

This perfectly describes the people on the forums.
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,451 Arc User
    Leave Som alone! Enough of this fighting in the forums!
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    There is no one single thing that "people" are doing. "People" are doing a lot of different things. It is true that some people are going way overboard, but it is also true that some people are voicing legitimate concerns so it is false to claim otherwise.

This. And indeed there are some minority of people who are taking the critiquing way too far, but I've witnessed at least as many jumping to defend just as enthusiastically.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    Meanwhile:

STO maintainance announced...officially...by Champions Online
This discussion has been closed.