test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What are the Chances we can get an Option for Original Cloaking Graphics?

navar#3536 navar Member Posts: 198 Arc User
I wonder what the odds would be to get an option to get back the original cloaking graphics? I was a bit of a sad panda when they changed it way back when without making the change an option. Would like to think that enough time has passed that giving back the original graphics for cloaking as an option could be something that could be done without too much headache or price?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    whether they could do it or not would depend entirely on how they have the effect set up...if they did it in a smart way (which they almost never do for these things), they could probably tie it to a new vanity slot or even a toggleable power tray button

that said, if they CAN do it with a minimum of fuss, i would definitely want it as an option so i can switch every cloaking effect from the 'wibbly-wobbly fade in/out' effect of pre-nemesis days to the 'energy-sweep fade in/out' effect of post-nemesis days​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I... have no frame of reference for those cloak animations. I know of three different variations of cloak animations. The Romulan one (shared with the Klingons and the cloak capable Fed ships), the Discovery Klingon one (Shared by the Discovery era Klingon ships and the Kelvin D7), and the Cardassian one on the Cardi Intel ships.
    As far as I am aware, the Romulan style cloak is pretty much the original, and most widely used.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • navar#3536 navar Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I... have no frame of reference for those cloak animations. I know of three different variations of cloak animations. The Romulan one (shared with the Klingons and the cloak capable Fed ships), the Discovery Klingon one (Shared by the Discovery era Klingon ships and the Kelvin D7), and the Cardassian one on the Cardi Intel ships.
    As far as I am aware, the Romulan style cloak is pretty much the original, and most widely used.

I remember the original cloaking being clear with no color added to them. You could barely see your ship and some players had a hard time with it. Me personally I never had an issue with it and could see my ship enough to maneuver around, but it was understandable how others could have problems. It would be a nice QoL if they could make an option, or like another has suggested, tie it in to a cosmetic toggle or something. It will probably never happen, but I figured it would be worth mentioning it at least once.

• foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I like the idea, but there's no incentive for Cryptic to do this. Unless they sold the ability & then do they sell it for only ships that already cloak or go bonkers & sell the cloaking ability for any ship? Otherwise if you like a certain type of cloaking then by a ship that performs that way that you enjoy the most. Also, there's canonical concerns maybe.
  • navar#3536 navar Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    I like the idea, but there's no incentive for Cryptic to do this. Unless they sold the ability & then do they sell it for only ships that already cloak or go bonkers & sell the cloaking ability for any ship? Otherwise if you like a certain type of cloaking then by a ship that performs that way that you enjoy the most. Also, there's canonical concerns maybe.

I wouldn't think there would be canonical concerns mostly because the way the graphics were previously was actually the canon version.

I would frown upon Cryptic selling this, since we had it to start with. Doesn't really seem fair to take something away and then resell it to you later. However, I would probably end up giving in and paying if need be, but I would do it with a big grumpy face, lol.

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    The blue haze (kind of like a shield effect) is there strictly for the benefit of the player with the cloaked ship, other players cannot see it. It's there to tell you more easily where your ship is and in where your camera is pointing.

Honestly the way your own ship looks while cloaked has pretty much nothing to do with canon and is just game mechanics.
This discussion has been closed.