test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Two ideas for STO

worf1981#1235 worf1981 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
The first idea I have should be self evident. I’m playing two Jem’Hadar characters. I found that the Dominion eye device is not available to them. I believe this should be changed. Especially for the Dominion characters. My main star fleet character has it.

The second involves the cardasians. Like the federation or Klingons. To a lesser extent the Romulans. I think they should give the Cardasians their own playable story arc. Perhaps like the Romulans or Dominion as allies of the Federation or Klingons.

I know you can have a playable character and that’s fine. But I think they deserve their own story arc. Perhaps rebuilding after the Dominion war ext.

Please respond and let me know your thoughts.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    I would enjoy playing a Cardsassian story. However the devs said the reason they didn't do it is because the story they would tell would essentially be the same thing as the Romulans (a "new Cardaassian" government trying to establish itself against the "evil" old military organization) and didn't think it would be interesting to tell that same basic story again. I'm not saying I agree, just explaining their reasoning.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    Except for the fact that as Star Trek's equivalent of clone storm troopers it made the Jem'Hadar the logical choice for the endgame-only race/class/whatever bandwagon the industry was going though, I am not sure why they even made the Dominion a faction since beyond the single character intro scenario they have not done much of anything with them.

Technically it isn't even really the Dominion itself as such in the sense of it being a whole civilization like the other factions, it is just Odo's expeditionary force on detached duty. I wish they would do more with it and offer more than just the clone troopers as playable characters but I get the distinct feeling it really isn't well liked by the devs.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I think they explained why Vorta weren't made playable by saying that the story they wanted to tell was from a Jem'Hadar perspective. Vorta wouldn't make sense.

As for "not well liked by the devs", I'd rather not put words in their mouth on if they like them or not myself. It is something better asked when we have a chance to actually speak with the Devs IMO. For now... the focus is on the Klingons.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    A laser like focus on the Klingons and their T'Liss and Ba'ul Ships. :)

Don't say thay haven't done much of anything with the Jem'Hadar. They did exactly what they planned to do with them, finished them up, and moved on. They were not cut short at all. You'll hear that in a few minutes, don't you know. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Yea... even after all this time we still hear that, and have to remind them that was never the case. It was just the post ViL story that changed.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2020
    Honestly I remember when Cardassian's did have a longer Episode ARC, even if not there own story. I know several of those missions can still be done thru 'Available' TAB and some they do hope to rework. I even remember one lost mission where you found yourself on Terrok Nor in an earlier time.

It would be nice to see Cardassian Struggle revamped, revised, and even expanded a little for sure!

I guess they will plan and evaluate based on how they feel the story evolves or needs to update with several new Star Trek shows coming to air in the foreseeable future. Still it honestly be nice to see more Episodes, if not new at least remastered in the future...
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    ltminns wrote: »
    A laser like focus on the Klingons and their T'Liss and Ba'ul Ships. :)

Don't say thay haven't done much of anything with the Jem'Hadar. They did exactly what they planned to do with them, finished them up, and moved on. They were not cut short at all. You'll hear that in a few minutes, don't you know. ;)

Exactly my point, they had their "laser like focus" on the Jem'Hadar and (according to answers they already gave to people who asked) really were not interested in doing the Dominion in of itself, but rather as a simple framework to support their entry onto the 'race/class that starts at endgame' bandwagon: the Jem'Hadar. The rolled out the novelty character type and did a normal season with a gamma quadrant theme from the viewpoint of the alpha/beta quadrant similar to the delta quadrant season, as intended.

My comment was in regard to the people wanting a Cardassian faction, much as they might want it they are as highly unlikely to get it as the people wanting a more canon-accurate representation of the Dominion with the character types necessary for that are.

It is not a rant, just an observation. And it is actually a sound strategy too, if the industry shifted to the "no leveling" style in a big way then STO needs to adapt like that. The fact that the endgame only character concept never really took off for long is irrelevant, being prepared in case it did is the important part.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    The problem with a Cardassian origin story is that the Cardassians, unlike the Romulans, largely accepted Federation aid in rebuilding after the Dominion War.

The Path to 2409 goes into a rather large bit of details about all the things the Federation has done in the decades to help them recover, and, by STO's time, the only REAL problem the Cardassians have left is the True Way, and we deal with them in the Cardassian Arc as is so... i'm not really sure what they would even do for a Cardassian origin.

Oh look...Som to the rescue of Cryptic...SERIOUSLY man?!? They can't come up with a story is your excuse...SERIOUSLY?!? You realize that is literally their bloody job right? Just because YOU can't come up with an idea does not mean that nobody else can...nor does that mean that is an excuse for somebody making a game to NOT DO IT...just because the all mighty Som could not fathom an idea for it.

Som did not say they can't come up with a story for the Cardassians. They already did, as in during the path to 2409, the history of the Trek universe according to Cryptic between the events of Nmesis and the moment the game launched. As I said in my post above, by the time we arrive on the scene, the Dominion War was long over, and Cardassia's reconstruction had already been completed. As of 2409, The cardassians were not members of the UFP or the KDF, hence why we did not have officially playable Cardassians at the time. But now, in 2411, with bigger threats turning their attention to the Milky Way Galaxy as a whole, they have joined the Alliance. And so we have officially playable Cardassians now. For both UFP and KDF.

As to the Romulans getting their own origin story, their entry into the Alliance, before the cessation of hostilities between the UFP and KDF, occurred post 2409, so the path from there to here made sense to be told. This was a faction that was once an enemy to both the UFP and the Klingon Empire. And one which has existed in canon since the TOS era. No offense to Cardassian fans, but the Cardassians did not exist in canon until later on in TNG's run. That, and the timing of the events that bring our Romulan characters into the STO master arc, gives them priority.

I don't think a cardy faction is a good idea mind you...but it's not because of story. Storys are invented and weaved at the teller's whim. They can inject anything they want to introduce cardies as a faction into the game...like say what happened with the big DS9 centric story arc. It doesn't HAVE to be an origin story. The Dominion faction wasn't. I don't think it is a good idea because the devs can't support it. They can't support the Roms and Doms as it is now...and can BARELY do it for the KDF. So...yeah no, another faction is a bad idea...but the story ain't why.

So, why don't you give an idea of what you'd like them to focus in on with a Cardassian story?

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    The first idea I have should be self evident. I’m playing two Jem’Hadar characters. I found that the Dominion eye device is not available to them. I believe this should be changed. Especially for the Dominion characters. My main star fleet character has it.

The second involves the cardasians. Like the federation or Klingons. To a lesser extent the Romulans. I think they should give the Cardasians their own playable story arc. Perhaps like the Romulans or Dominion as allies of the Federation or Klingons.

I know you can have a playable character and that’s fine. But I think they deserve their own story arc. Perhaps rebuilding after the Dominion war ext.

Please respond and let me know your thoughts.

I would have paid money to have been able to play a Cardassian origin story. Even if it did just end up being another Legacy of Romulus faction switch. BUT... The rebuilding of Cardassia with logistical support from the Klingon Empire and the Federation would have occurred many years before 2409 and the start of our part in Star Trek history. We could use the Alien customization to build an approximation of a Cardassian.

The Romulan relocation to New Romulus and being aided by the UFP and KDF was directly within the scope of STO's timeline, so bringing them into the alliance deserved origin story treatment. Same goes for the Jem'hadar.

The Dominion War only ended like 12 years before the Hobus event. And the Dominion War was a conflict that devastated the entire quadrant. There's not that much official canon that is set in the 2380's. But we do know (from dialogue included in Insurrection for example) that right after the DW, the Federation was almost brought to its knees.

All this means that the capability to support Cardassia was greatly diminished compared to just after the Hobus event. Besides, although they did not lose their entire planet, Garak mentions how many of Cardassia's great minds, the people responsible for their cultural progress, their leadership, had been eradicated. That's leaving out the possibilities of subjected worlds breaking away, mutiny within the military, political infighting and so on.

There's little reason to assume that, by the time we arrive in 2409, there's more damage remaining or problems to be solved stemming from the Hobus event when compared to the DW. Some effects of the DW on Cardassia(ns) could definitely be lingering around and remain noticeable even throughout STO's timeline.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    worf1981#1235 worf1981 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I would like to thank all of you for the spirited conversation. Both for and against.

Please forgive my slowness in not catching on to a Cardasian centric story being very similar to the Romulans.

Both suffered terrible loss and both had to rebuild their culture.

I stand by my belief that such a story would be interesting to play through. Perhaps with Garek as the new leader.

Still everyone is right it would be too close to the Romulans story.

That said anyone should catch on to the fact that the distraction of the DW would still have lasting effects decades into the future. Even past the current STO timeline.

Thanks to you all.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    While the time is past as far as the Cardassians are concerned for the kind of epic all hands on deck story type that drives the TFOs and some of the tighter mission arcs, it would be completely plausible for lower-key police action style stories appropriate for patrols and loosely connected episodes scattershot around the area of the wormhole.

Not everything has to be driven by a grand (or even galactic) conspiracy to be good plot material, stories about flareups in a long, low intensity struggle work out quite well (that was the basis of a lot of TOS and TNG plots for instance, and DS9 was almost entirely based on it before the Dominion war).

And yes, the True Way Alliance is gone but there is no way they could have caught every single person in the organization. In the real world whenever a terrorist group like that is smashed or evolves into a less militant form they very often calve off a more militant faction and the cycle starts anew (for instance look at the history of the IRA, it is a prime example of that). The True Way Alliance could have given way to the The Truer Way, which spawns The True Way Refocused when it disbands or whatever, then True Believers of the True Way, and on and on.

Groups like that could be operating out of secret bunkers set up before the war, possibly with some shipbuilding facilities. If the devs wanted they could get really crazy and have the new True Way organization in possession of one of the alien automated facilities like the one in ENT. If they did they could take it in either of two main directions, it could either be a limited thing and taking it out would end that iteration of the True Way (and make way for yet another), or it could turn out to be some kind of subversive AI weapon system (sort of like the CIA arming extremists to make trouble for the Soviets) from a long forgotten war and lead to yet another big arc where the things link up with some other mechanoid/AI whatever type as a truly major threat, or simply spread wide enough that they kick off a rash of potentially destabilizing brush wars all over the galaxy.

Anyway, DS9, like all of last century's Trek series had a lot of analogies to then-current real-world issues (from ENT onward they tend to be more inwardly focused and thus have less of that), and at least at the start of the series a lot of those threads had to do with the situation in the Middle East, and while it is evolving that situation is still going today so the Cardassians (and the others in the area) could still be having the same problems they had before with a slightly different face.

As for the Dominion, some of the throwaway dialog in the new "Khitomer Discord" scenario points out that the Dominon really does not have a full formal diplomatic presence in the Alliance yet, just some representatives they send to functions and meetings without any facilities of their own in the quadrant as of yet.

There is a lot of potential there to expand the Dominion out into something more than a single-race unlock (worse yet, one that is gender locked) with a single sketchy character origin/training scenario, and add canon races like the Vorta and the others (even if it is just by adding an "alien" character generation option, though Vorta are major enough to have their own custom one like all the other factions have for their major races) as part of their settling further into the Alliance.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    I would do a story where the Cardassians are tempted into being an occupying force again for some other planet and they have to grow out of their old patterns.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    westmetals wrote: »
    westmetals wrote: »
    I think Som's point in bringing up the Path to 2409 wasn't "they can't come up with a storyline". It was more of "they already addressed the storyline, just not in a playable fashion".

They addressed A storyline...but that is by no means the ONLY storyline to made carddies into a playable faction if they so choose. The story isn't the reason why we can't have the carddy faction.

True. But why reopen "how the Cardassians got to where they are now" when that has already been dealt with? And/or retcon the whole thing?

For that matter... if you're going to do it for the Cardassians, why not the Ferengi?

I think the real dealbreaker, though, is the fact that the species already exists in playable form. Which means they would have to either port over the existing characters (messy, maybe not technologically possible, and there's bound to be "I didn't want to!" complainers) or somehow explain why they're not in the new faction, plus deciding if the old race will still be available in the old faction (which... was a purchaseable unlock!). Neither is a good idea.

Right now Cardassia is a Federation (and apparently in STO a Klingon) protectorate, so for most practical purposes they are Federation associates and would probably just go though Starfleet academy before joining Starfleet or returning to their own local police fleet or whatever they have now (and some doing the same with the Klingons).

While that means that it does not make sense for them to be an independent faction it does not mean that there is nothing more to do with them story wise, just that the stories would logically be open to the other factions (something the game does for all the new stuff anyway).

On the player side it would be possible to use that protectorate status get something like a faction without an actual new faction. For instance, one rather simple thing would be to have a coupon for a playable low-tier Hideki-class as part of the race unlock (or for a small additional fee with the race unlock), and having a Cardassian starter ship like that could encourage Cardassian fans to buy one of the full T6 ships to keep their Cardassian captain in a genuine Cardassian ship.

With the situation it would make perfect sense for the character to go though the Federation or Klingon tutorial as an exchange officer and transfer back aboard a Cardassian defense fleet vessel on detached duty with the appropriate host faction upon graduation. If the devs were really feeling frisky they could probably put a flag in to trigger a small cutscene or dialog change to refer to that exchange officer status.

And if STO ever goes back and revisits the DS9 region with scenarios involving the Cardassians as discussed earlier the player character could jump to those for a Cardi-centric feel to start with. In fact, with the high number of events characters can hit top end very quickly with nothing but the tutorial and a small handful of missions along with the event stuff.
  • Options
    diocletian#7546 diocletian Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    I am a big Cardassian fan, but agree that having them as their own faction or storyline like the Romulus is not a good idea.

I agree with Phoenix’s points above about Cardassia and it being a protectorate. She makes some good points with a starter ship and And some Cardassian themed content.

I have worked with the STO framework to create a whole backstory for my character. Past assignments as a Federation exchange officer. Joint operations with Starfleet. My Galor crew is a mix of Cardassians and Bajorans as part of a “reconciliation” initiative. I have had a lot of fun building up a back story and incorporation some of the fan fiction out there on Cardassia post Dominion War.

I have the idea of Central Command replaced by a “Defense Command.” Roughly following the model of Japan post WW2. Role of defense of Cardassian space, free and safe navigation patrols, exploration, assisting colonies, internal security/policing, and action against the True Way. Cardassian military ships only leave Cardassian space at the invitation and permission of Starfleet.

I am quite content with that and like that my Cardassian toon is Federation aligned. It plays well into the theme I have for him.
  • Options
    leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 5,344 Arc User
    Cardassia has had about 40 years to recover from the war, there is no storyline value in this game to cover something that has already been resolved. We know what happened, why it happened, what happened after, they lost a few million in population. The Federation looked after them, the Federation helped them rebuild, they recovered; The story is done.

STO Romulans 'recovery story' was given a mystery, an objective that we needed to solve, on top of an active and oppressive regime that wanted to maintain it's iron grip on power. They lost BILLIONS, have not recovered, and are still rebuilding after decades.

That folks is why Cardassia doesn't need a faction story of it's own.
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    if I had to do a cardassian story, it'll be one where you start off as a member of the true way but you slowly defect to the khitomer alliance.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    if I had to do a cardassian story, it'll be one where you start off as a member of the true way but you slowly defect to the khitomer alliance.

Yeah that could make sense, though it probably can't be that slowly as you need to have "picked a side" by the time you hit your first TFO.

The way I could see that working is that you start off as fairly new recruit for the True Way and you're told you're doing missions for "the restoration of the Glory of Cardassia" and how you're gonna make everyone fear and respect the cardassians again but it involves you bullying unarmed colonists and raiding poor protected civilian transports that best protected by Mirandas or Galors in desperate need of a refit.

All this culminating in your leaders sending you against a larger convoy of civilian transports, with them thinking it's an easy prey, while you notice that's it's an obvious trap but the leaders dismiss you due to arrogance. So when it turns out that it was indeed a trap they blame you and tell you to "fix it" meaning you have to sacrifice yourself so they can feel, that being the final straw that sparks your turn to the Alliance side (obviously with a faction pick as a "sponsor".
This discussion has been closed.