test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Assessed Stratagems - Another source needed?

questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 7,273 Arc User
Currently in the process of gathering Assessed Stratagems for some rep gear.
However, Advanced or Elite difficulty TFO for the Assessed Stratagems rarely pop and are excluded from the random queue.

IMO this makes gathering said Assessed Stratagems IMO a huge annoyance. In your opinion could we do with another source for those Stratagems?

Or should the 20 hour restriction for converting marks into Assessed Stratagems be lifted?

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Assessed_Stratagem
Post edited by questerius on
This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
«1345

Comments

  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 1,271 Arc User
    edited May 18
    Competitive rep elite marks is what you're talking about, as I presume most people can't keep all the funny names for them straight. Yeah something really should be done for them.

    I personally rarely use that rep gear, in part because of the difficulty of getting the elite marks. There are two main ways to get them, first obviously is buying them. The second is the continuing rep project boxes. Rep projects are still a good rate for turning marks to dilithium, so may be worth doing for that side purpose too. This of course is ignoring the queues because they can't be randomed.

    There are also gamma recruit boxes that give you I think 5 and 8 elite marks of your choosing, but you may already have used those or don't have a gamma recruit. With every other rep fairly easy to get the elite marks via direct queuing for their respective queues I tend to sit on those boxes in case I ever have the funny idea to buy some competitive rep gear.

    So, the only real option I see is to do randoms and use the random boxes to buy competitive marks to convert directly to elite marks, use the rest for the project boxes and hope for elite marks.

    I honestly don't really understand the purpose of the 20 hour cooldown on buying elite marks, so that is something I'd like to see gone anyway, but it would obviously help most here.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 7,273 Arc User
    Added wiki link.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 50,251 Arc User
    I honestly don't really understand the purpose of the 20 hour cooldown on buying elite marks, so that is something I'd like to see gone anyway, but it would obviously help most here.

    I think its to prevent people with huge stockpiles of marks from converting all at once. Currently, being able to have choice boxes, if the cooldown was removed, someone could theoretically just run the easiest content in the game with choice boxes, spam the marks, and then spam convert to get gear, all without EVER touching associated content. It would be like saying "I want Discovery Rep gear... lets go run Infected and fight Borg!"
    The cooldown is annoying yes, but I can kinda see a method to the madness. Get players to run associated content. But when it comes to the Competitive Rep... it is far more annoying.

    I don't know if there's a difference in turning in converted Elite Marks for DL and turning in marks for DL, as I haven't mathed it out, but it could also be an economy thing as well.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 1,271 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I honestly don't really understand the purpose of the 20 hour cooldown on buying elite marks, so that is something I'd like to see gone anyway, but it would obviously help most here.

    I think its to prevent people with huge stockpiles of marks from converting all at once. Currently, being able to have choice boxes, if the cooldown was removed, someone could theoretically just run the easiest content in the game with choice boxes, spam the marks, and then spam convert to get gear, all without EVER touching associated content. It would be like saying "I want Discovery Rep gear... lets go run Infected and fight Borg!"
    The cooldown is annoying yes, but I can kinda see a method to the madness. Get players to run associated content. But when it comes to the Competitive Rep... it is far more annoying.

    I don't know if there's a difference in turning in converted Elite Marks for DL and turning in marks for DL, as I haven't mathed it out, but it could also be an economy thing as well.


    You can't choose to run infected to get reputation X marks though, you have to randomize. That ends up being slower, though, because the queue, more often than not, does not give you a choice for the marks you want, only gives out specific elite marks, and the random box is usually not even going to give you 100 marks to buy the elite mark, so you have to do a second one to afford it.

    And obviously you don't ever actually touch the associated content with competitive rep, because no one queues for it and it can't be randomized. The only time you get to do them is when its a global endeavor or if you can build a group for it.

    As I recall, the math for dil actually favors normal mark turn ins too.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    I really enjoyed the competitive TFOs back when people actually queued for them. I wish Cryptic would do something about this issue because I have rolled several characters for T6 rep without doing a single competitive TFO. Getting the materials for the rep gear was annoying. Luckily, I only use the space weapon set for my quant torp build.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,072 Arc User
    edited May 19
    On fresh characters I usually just make the Elite Marks for whatever gear set I intend to use as I'm leveling up the Rep itself. It takes more days to get to Tier 5 than you'd need Elite Marks for most Reps. Full sets of everything Omega Rep has might need more, but the rest should be fine, particularly since you get a few Elite Marks for hitting Tier 5 on Reps that use them. Currently, you can use Pahvo to get most of the Marks needed fairly easily if as you don't need to convert every day for most Reps to have enough at Tier 5, and with the amount of back to back Events going on, you can get the regular Marks most of the time. I usually back fill any gaps with Endeavor Mark reward boxes I save back, plus Recruitment Event rewards (though, not everyone will have those).
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 7,273 Arc User
    How would people feel about adding these elite marks as a possible reward for Warzones or even some of the races during the summer/winter events?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 1,271 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    How would people feel about adding these elite marks as a possible reward for Warzones or even some of the races during the summer/winter events?

    Bandaid solution to put them in existing warzones, but it would be a solution. The races would make sense, but the problem there is they are only available 3 months out of the year.
  • husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 778 Arc User
    Not everything needs to be instant. Ask people to join you on weekends or at peek times... people don't mind running those ques but they won't randomly que it and sit there for hours either. Ask in one of the major in game channels and you can get them going. There are days when Cryptic adds comp que stuff to the endeavor list... on those days run it a few times and store them.

    Also run the 1 hr missions. The gear boxs can drop them.... so run the 1hr mission as often as its up when your on. When you have a stack of 20-30 of them open them and hopefully pull 2-3 Stratagems.

    On the plues side. Once you have the bits you want you will have no need for them ever again. Its ok for it to be a few week grind. Frankly Crytpic gives away the other rep bits far to easily... they should all be random drops from ques with the chance of a drop increasing with difficulty. In most MMOs putting together full sets of end game gear isn't a 20 min process, its ok for it to take a few weeks.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 2,316 Community Moderator
    husanakx wrote: »
    Not everything needs to be instant. Ask people to join you on weekends or at peek times... people don't mind running those ques but they won't randomly que it and sit there for hours either. Ask in one of the major in game channels and you can get them going. There are days when Cryptic adds comp que stuff to the endeavor list... on those days run it a few times and store them.

    Also run the 1 hr missions. The gear boxs can drop them.... so run the 1hr mission as often as its up when your on. When you have a stack of 20-30 of them open them and hopefully pull 2-3 Stratagems.

    On the plues side. Once you have the bits you want you will have no need for them ever again. Its ok for it to be a few week grind. Frankly Crytpic gives away the other rep bits far to easily... they should all be random drops from ques with the chance of a drop increasing with difficulty. In most MMOs putting together full sets of end game gear isn't a 20 min process, its ok for it to take a few weeks.
    No it's not okay for it to take a few weeks, especially when none of the other reps have that problem. STO has never been that kind of hardcore type game like some of the other MMOs out there. There are no dedicated raids and what not like there is in World of Warcraft, SWTOR, or similar. Precedent has been set since the start of the reputation system that once you've leveled the rep itself, you can shenanigans every piece of crafted gear from the rep in less than a day if you have the resources. I don't see why that should change now just for one single rep. Nor do I consider 20-30 hours for only 2-3 stratagems a good haul when you can get nearly 10-20 times that amount in the same amount of time for any of the other reps. Finally on that point I shouldn't have to wait for the universal endeavor to be a Competitive Wargames before I'm able to make any real progress in getting stratagems. Virtually every other rep has alternate means to get the elite mark EXCEPT for the Competitive queues currently. This dramatically slows down the ability to acquire things for that rep, for no real reason. I also shouldn't have to wait several hours for a queue to pop if I don't have a team of friends/fleetmates, as folks often experience when trying to queue for those things.

    They added the temporal marks into the Badlands BZ, so adding the Stratagems to a BZ wouldn't hurt either, and if anything would give people reason to farm more stuff. Prime place I can think of would be to put them in some of the Gamma Quadrant stuff which would give people reason to run that place more. If not there then there are other areas it could be put in. I'm a fond believer in the saying "if it isn't broke don't fix it" mentality. Once again this isn't SWTOR, WoW, or similar games that can take you a long time to gather sets of gear. Precedent was set a long time ago and I see no valid reason to change it now, especially just for one single reputation. All the current situation does is artificially slow folks down for no real reason.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

    Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 50,251 Arc User
    You can't choose to run infected to get reputation X marks though, you have to randomize.

    I am aware you can't. I was using Infected as an example because its one of the easiest. Kinda the same reason why we don't have a Universal Rep Mark like some people have advocated for in the past. It would literally boil down to "We need marks? Lets go run the absolute most easiest TFO in the game for EVERYTHING".

    But the point remains. Outside of the daily Elite Mark Trade in, you want the gubbins, you run the associated content.

    I'm not saying its more annoying for Competitive though, because it IS. Never liked Core Assault. Always preferred Twin Tribulations. And the ground one? Dear god! I once had a group that couldn't even figure out the FIRST puzzle. And its as simple as PUSH THE DANG BUTTON SEVERAL TIMES so someone can cross. But nope. Kill all the things! ALL THE INFINITELY SPAWNING THINGS! Who needs mechanics when you have gun!
    *headdesk*
    I ended that run standing on an invisible platform over a bottomless pit because no one would push the button to allow me to see where the hell I was supposed to go. And I wasn't running any kit modules that would allow me to cheese it on my Tac.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,650 Arc User
    edited May 19
    I think it's a non issue personally. I've outfitted 12 characters with the competitive rep shield and engines which is not something that can be done quickly. All I did was I incorporated my stratagem grind into my mark grind.

    Personally, I grind every character to T6 rep in every rep. Since this requires 1500 or so marks per rep per character, I just make sure that during my 50 day grind, that i do 1 extra random advanced or event queue per day to get the 100 marks that I need every day to trade for 1 stratagem. If I need 10 stratagems, which is the norm, I do this for 10 days out of my 50 day grind. If for some reason, I needed more, then I'd do it more.

    Getting them has never been much of an issue as long as you take the long view. If you wanted to add them to the game in some other form, then I'd advocate for some kind of Ker'rat or PVP queue revamp which adds competitive marks and stratagems.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 1,482 Arc User
    I've used the engines for a while on a few toons. That extra speed boost can be useful in some missions.

    Lifting the 20 hour restriction for advanced mark conversion makes sense.

    Or, really, just remove advanced marks from the game altogether. It serves no purpose beyond putting an extra timegate inside a system that is already a time gated system by itself (namely, the reputation itself).



    That, and it, unnecessarily, makes things more difficult for newer players who are not prepared for advanced level content yet - but who need to play it to get the gear they need to be prepared for it ... just remove them.

    It doesn't add anything useful, their existence is nothing but an inconvenience and as such they only have disadvantages (one of those also being that they take up inventory/bank space - but that's arguably a smaller issue that could be overcome in other ways and which is therefore not an important reason).
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 1,482 Arc User
    Before people start to get unnecessarily concerned about dilithium: they could of course increase the amount of normal marks obtained to compensate for the removal of advanced marks.


    Currently existing stocks could still be turned in, there's no need to change anything about that feature. It'd be much like removing the special marks the Dyson rep once had before they were discontinued to simplify the system.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,037 Arc User
    They added the temporal marks into the Badlands BZ, so adding the Stratagems to a BZ wouldn't hurt either, and if anything would give people reason to farm more stuff. Prime place I can think of would be to put them in some of the Gamma Quadrant stuff which would give people reason to run that place more. If not there then there are other areas it could be put in. I'm a fond believer in the saying "if it isn't broke don't fix it" mentality. Once again this isn't SWTOR, WoW, or similar games that can take you a long time to gather sets of gear. Precedent was set a long time ago and I see no valid reason to change it now, especially just for one single reputation. All the current situation does is artificially slow folks down for no real reason.
    I can only think of two BZs where that is appropriate though. And they're so OLD they predate the rep system. Yes, I'm talking about Ker'rat and Otha. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 2,316 Community Moderator
    They added the temporal marks into the Badlands BZ, so adding the Stratagems to a BZ wouldn't hurt either, and if anything would give people reason to farm more stuff. Prime place I can think of would be to put them in some of the Gamma Quadrant stuff which would give people reason to run that place more. If not there then there are other areas it could be put in. I'm a fond believer in the saying "if it isn't broke don't fix it" mentality. Once again this isn't SWTOR, WoW, or similar games that can take you a long time to gather sets of gear. Precedent was set a long time ago and I see no valid reason to change it now, especially just for one single reputation. All the current situation does is artificially slow folks down for no real reason.
    I can only think of two BZs where that is appropriate though. And they're so OLD they predate the rep system. Yes, I'm talking about Ker'rat and Otha. :p

    that would be a hard pass for me and a rep that simply would not get done as I'm not going to the toxic cesspool that is ker'rat or similar.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

    Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    I really like the competitive armor visuals the ground set gives. Looks sharp.

    On a newer toon waiting 15 days to get this (assuming not having any elite marks) seems reasonable to me.

    Sure, I wish they came a bit easier as well but when you want something in-game you put your back into it for a bit and and all of a sudden there it is.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 7,273 Arc User
    edited May 20
    I think i have uttered a suggestion about the removal of Elite marks in the past, but for most reputations with the random TFO system that may be more trouble than it is worth. For Reputations, other than competitive wargaming, getting a queue is easy.

    Removal of Elite marks for competitive wargaming could be an option, but probably a last ditch effort.
    Adding Assessed Stratagems to content other than advanced TFO seems a path easier taken.

    Another option would be to allow up to converting marks up to 5 Assessed Stratagems each day. In that case a 20hr timer would be acceptable.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,037 Arc User
    They added the temporal marks into the Badlands BZ, so adding the Stratagems to a BZ wouldn't hurt either, and if anything would give people reason to farm more stuff. Prime place I can think of would be to put them in some of the Gamma Quadrant stuff which would give people reason to run that place more. If not there then there are other areas it could be put in. I'm a fond believer in the saying "if it isn't broke don't fix it" mentality. Once again this isn't SWTOR, WoW, or similar games that can take you a long time to gather sets of gear. Precedent was set a long time ago and I see no valid reason to change it now, especially just for one single reputation. All the current situation does is artificially slow folks down for no real reason.
    I can only think of two BZs where that is appropriate though. And they're so OLD they predate the rep system. Yes, I'm talking about Ker'rat and Otha. :p
    that would be a hard pass for me and a rep that simply would not get done as I'm not going to the toxic cesspool that is ker'rat or similar.
    Well the currently existing options would still be available. :p The idea is that they're the only two "competitive" battle zones we have. Both of them have smoking hot competition, though it's not a full-on free for all. It does however use the old red-v-blue form of teaming, so not fully fair.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    Would now be a good time to re-introduce that concept of mine regarding the conversion of Starfleet Academy and Fleet Starbase space into weapons hot zones? This would include the use of a jolly roger flag, as previously described :wink:
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 7,273 Arc User
    They added the temporal marks into the Badlands BZ, so adding the Stratagems to a BZ wouldn't hurt either, and if anything would give people reason to farm more stuff. Prime place I can think of would be to put them in some of the Gamma Quadrant stuff which would give people reason to run that place more. If not there then there are other areas it could be put in. I'm a fond believer in the saying "if it isn't broke don't fix it" mentality. Once again this isn't SWTOR, WoW, or similar games that can take you a long time to gather sets of gear. Precedent was set a long time ago and I see no valid reason to change it now, especially just for one single reputation. All the current situation does is artificially slow folks down for no real reason.
    I can only think of two BZs where that is appropriate though. And they're so OLD they predate the rep system. Yes, I'm talking about Ker'rat and Otha. :p

    They have their own issues among others spawn camping and a downright toxic atmosphere at times.

    While this solution would only cater to a small portion of the community, adding Assessed Stratagems to challenge ground battles (first city) or on Andoria could help.

    Old queues like https://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_Breaking_the_Planet and https://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_Big_Dig could be added to the RTFO. They were a spawn bonanza, but at the time fun places for weapon testing.

    If a timer could be added to the puzzles for the competitive war gaming TFO or even a hard timer for the duration i don't see why they have to be excluded from the RTFO system.


    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • westmetalswestmetals Member Posts: 3,487 Arc User
    edited May 20
    I think the simplest solution would be to reduce the 20 hr timer on marks conversion to something like 1-4 hours.
    questerius wrote: »
    If a timer could be added to the puzzles for the competitive war gaming TFO or even a hard timer for the duration i don't see why they have to be excluded from the RTFO system.

    All of the queues which take other than 5 players are excluded. For example, Crystalline. I am guessing it's a technical issue with how the RTFO system works.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 1,443 Arc User
    Considering how long it sometimes takes just to fill out five person ques I get the feeling that putting in the larger ones would essentially stall the system when they came up.
  • westmetalswestmetals Member Posts: 3,487 Arc User
    edited May 20

    Considering how long it sometimes takes just to fill out five person ques I get the feeling that putting in the larger ones would essentially stall the system when they came up.

    Well, yes, but my point is that, depending on how it works "under the hood", the random TFO system might not be able to handle having TFOs with different numbers of players. All of the ones currently included take exactly 5.
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 7,182 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    All of the queues which take other than 5 players are excluded. For example, Crystalline. I am guessing it's a technical issue with how the RTFO system works.
    This was the stated reason. I recall one of the livestreams where the devs were asked about it, and one of them even said something along the lines of "If only you could see the question marks above my head on how that would even work" when asked about the TFOs that require more then 5 people being added to the RTFO system.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 50,251 Arc User
    I think the issue is that its set up to build a team of 5, then pop. With the majority of TFOs being 5 man jobs, how the hell do you enable something for twice that many players? Its going to throw the first 5 people into something before you get 10 people gathered. We'd probably need a seperate system for 10 man TFOs. Problem is... there's pretty much just... um... 1 than I can think of?

    So yea its a technical issue.
    questerius wrote: »
    They have their own issues among others spawn camping and a downright toxic atmosphere at times.

    I would have to agree with quest here. Ker'rat can have spawn camping, and alpha strike sneak sneak gank runs. Otha... slightly more balanced interms of number of abilities and more specialization in character classes, but still... spawn camping and lockdowns can basically ruin it for rookie players.

    PvP in ANY form as it stands... is NOT casual, or rookie, friendly whatsoever. With the sheer amount of damage a player puts out, aimed at NPCs with much larger HP pools... naturally having that power aimed at another player is going to be an issue for the player on the recieving end. A player doesn't have the stats an NPC has, and we have players who can melt Tac Cubes on Advanced in SECONDS. What is a rookie player going to think having that kind of firepower aimed at them?

    A LOT of colorful metaphors and probably never touching anything PvP related ever again.

    The issue is that we're balanced for PvE. PvP is a whole other animal that, as things stand, without a total rebuild of everything... not really viable except maybe in organized player events where you know you have players of similar build strength and skill level. And the arguments of "Get Gud" do not apply as how do you improve when you are constantly oneshot and unable to even react?
    "Oh there are ways to react and..."
    Cutting that off right there because HOW DO YOU STOP AN ALPHA STRIKE IF YOU DON'T SEE IT COMING?! That is the purpose of an Alpha Strike build! Kill it before it can react!
    "Oh you can hear the buffs and buff yourself."
    How does that help if you're still getting oneshot?

    Seriously... PvP as is... is as quest said. Toxic Atmosphere.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    PvP and Assessed Stratagems actually have very little in common.

    There's only player vs player contact at the very end of 1 of 3 Competitive queues.

    The Competitive rep queues are a competition between two teams in that they're a race to the finish.
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 7,182 Arc User
    edited May 20
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I think the issue is that its set up to build a team of 5, then pop. With the majority of TFOs being 5 man jobs, how the hell do you enable something for twice that many players? Its going to throw the first 5 people into something before you get 10 people gathered. We'd probably need a seperate system for 10 man TFOs. Problem is... there's pretty much just... um... 1 than I can think of?

    So yea its a technical issue.
    There is no TFO that is 10 man, as STO's team limit max is 5. Crystalline Entity is two separate teams of 5. A system that is shared with
    -Binary Circuit
    -Core Assault
    -Drannur Beach Assault
    -Starbase Fleet Defense
    -Twin Tribulations
    So there are 6 TFOs that use dual team, or in Starbase Fleet Defense's case, quad teams. Roughly 10% of the game's TFOs.
    protoneous wrote: »
    PvP and Assessed Stratagems actually have very little in common.

    There's only player vs player contact at the very end of 1 of 3 Competitive queues.

    The Competitive rep queues are a competition between two teams in that they're a race to the finish.
    PVP refers to any situations in which two or more players are pitted against each other. Direct combat between said groups is not needed to qualify for PVP, it is just the easiest and most common method of doing so.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    PvP and Assessed Stratagems actually have very little in common.

    There's only player vs player contact at the very end of 1 of 3 Competitive queues.

    The Competitive rep queues are a competition between two teams in that they're a race to the finish.

    PVP refers to any situations in which two or more players are pitted against each other. Direct combat between said groups is not needed to qualify for PVP, it is just the easiest and most common method of doing so.

    Competitive queues are a different beast than Ker'rat / Otha which are open war zones. That part should be pretty clear.

    I think @rattler2 's post just above is a more accurate and somewhat colorful portrayal of what most people consider PvP in this game.

    However, if a race to completion between two PvE groups equals PvP by technical definition I'm certainly not going to debate the finer points of said definition and derail the thread.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 50,251 Arc User
    How colorful would you say? ;)

    Anyways... while it is mostly my own views, it is coming from a casual who doesn't do hardcore PvP but has experienced PvP. I love a good fight. One where one wrong move may turn the tide. But also one that isn't literally just buff until you can oneshot your opponent before they can even react to your appearance.
    If I wanna PvP, I wanna be able to actually fight back. Not just boost the opponent's kill score by my mere existance.

    Honestly I always preferred Twin Tribulations over Core Assault. Because it didn't matter if you were geared for direct PvP or not. It was more of a mechanics race than anything. Even a PvE group could do it. Core Assault was more popular for some reason. And unfortunately... I once had the "fun" of being oneshot multiple times and being unable to even get out to attack the opponent's core because they were camping our exit point and killing anything they see instantly. My entire team was spawn camped. The only thing we were able to do was at least introduce them to a Megawell, which doesn't care if you live or not to stay active, and they had fun trying to esape it. Still didn't help us in the end though.

    I don't find being on the recieving end of instakills fun. I find it frustrating and demoralizing. Especially when you're in a situation where the opponent is literally spawn camping you FOR THE LULZ. Its not a fight. Its shooting fish in a barrel. And I'm pretty sure most players would agree that being in that situation is not fun. It was literally "Why bother?"
    It is not fair, honorable, or sportsmanlike to the team on the recieving end. Pick whatever analogy fits.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.