What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Next playable race?

2»

Comments

• Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    I don't think we'll see new playable species for a while.

They seem more intent on releasing uniforms like the Breen one and the Borg stuff so that you can basically put whichever species you want in them and pretend they're a Breen or liberated Borg.

It may be easier and thus more justifiable, development-wise.

It's not really a new trend either. Many species, including Kelpians, Denobulans and Xindi were never added to the game but can be created with the alien generator. It is unfortunate, but that seems to be their main way of adding new species.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    With that in mind, at this point I'd be happy if they just added more parts to the tailor so that we can create Voth for example, or some of the other Xindi species like the Arboreals and Reptilians.

New species with an unique, continuously active trait like the Caitians have (increased jump height instead of some passive skill point improvement that you barely notice while playing) would still be my preferred way of adding new species.

But I just think that won't be happening anymore. Not soon at least, and not too often anymore.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    if they do add a playable borg faction, they could just give f2p players liberated borg versions of other races like vulcans, andorians, remans and gorn while keeping the Borg versions of humans, romulans and klingons a LTS exclusive.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I want playable Phylosians!
    latest?cb=20061125192816&path-prefix=en
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I wish Gorn weren't restricted to KDF.
  • Options
    kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    rattler2 wrote: »
    We're not gonna see an Independant. The story won't allow for it. They'd have to basicaly double the amount of story missions because Independant isn't going to be playing ball with Fed or KDF so they'd need their own unique story all the way through EVERYTHING.
    That is not entirely correct.
    If a 'new' species, they can fire off their personal arc, and we could go from there.
    Just like with the Dominion.

H'urq anyone? :)
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • Options
    starshine#7408 starshine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    I want the disco faction to have andorians
    TOS>LDS>DSC>VOY>DS9>PRO>ENT>TNG>PIC

Bring the Enterprise XCV-330 to STO
  • Options
    Starshine me too.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I'd still like to see fleshed out Deferi, including ships and uniforms and the like. Then again, I created my own post-invasion Deferi and am probably disappointed what the official version would be.

And while not a new race, I also would like DSC-visuals for Tellarites. And maybe a cudgel.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    I could see the possibility of Fed Orions becoming a thing in STO due to the JJ universe and lower decks animated tv show featuring them, Probably might be a similar situation to Fed Klingons, you'll have to pay zen to use them.
  • Options
    maniac20#5251 maniac20 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    Frankly I doubt that we will see either one. Sure, there has been talk of a playable Borg cooperative which would answer both the race and the faction questions but there is the problem that some the lifers would probably feel cheated that the FtPs would be able to poach their exclusive access to Borg.

Personally I would prefer that they finish off the Dominion faction by adding Vorta and 'alien' (or even just 'alien' since Vorta can be made that way) to the generator and starting those two off at the normal level (as meat droids the Jem'Hadar actually make sense as the "gee wiz" endgame only novelty race).

The problem with making the Dominion more than a single-race unlock is that they would have to do an introductory scenario probably, and the devs seem to be avoiding going back to DS9 and the other older Treks lately.

There is also the odd tendency to take Weyoun's propaganda at face value instead of watching what he actually did and listening to the talk of the show's writers about them being the James Bonds/Ethan Hunts/Emma Peals of Star Trek. Of course, with Section 31 being such a big thing in the new Treks there may be pressure to keep Cryptic from doing anything with Intelligence type characters until the series debuts.

There is one way they can handle that and that is do like they did with Jem'Hadar - The Vanguard is just a tad stronger than the normal Jem'Hadar so they can do the same treatment to the LTS lib borg to still keep them unique.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I'd still like to see fleshed out Deferi, including ships and uniforms and the like. Then again, I created my own post-invasion Deferi and am probably disappointed what the official version would be.

And while not a new race, I also would like DSC-visuals for Tellarites. And maybe a cudgel.​​
    Haha, I've been playing a Vorta since 2011. We'll see. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Liberated Borg Vulcans needs to be a thing, LTS can keep their filthy Human Borgs to themselves.
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    If it were possible to create Son'a (in KDF) , it would convince me to create a new character. :Dimage.jpg
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User

It would be nice if Vorta could be created in the generator for the Dominion and have access to Dominion ships directly instead of having to unlock it with a horneytoad first. And the only Dominion ship that Vorta can use without that unlock has a trait that is useless to Vorta made with the generator from another faction since it is tied to "faction standard" weapons which are the wrong ones for a faux-Dominion character we are stuck with making under the current system.
  • Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User

It would be nice if Vorta could be created in the generator for the Dominion and have access to Dominion ships directly instead of having to unlock it with a horneytoad first. And the only Dominion ship that Vorta can use without that unlock has a trait that is useless to Vorta made with the generator from another faction since it is tied to "faction standard" weapons which are the wrong ones for a faux-Dominion character we are stuck with making under the current system.

More interchangeability/customization would be nice
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    kiksken wrote: »
    H'urq anyone? :)
    In our dreams maybe.

Hur'q will, unfortunately, never happen because Cryptic isn't going to redo all the weapons and armor to fit the non-humanoid shape. Same problem with Tholians, and Tzenkethi.
    I know, I was jesting.
    Actually, too bad, seeing it's an interesting species.
    Not uu-Maan based, for a change!

And the h'Urq could get a totally different play style: no weapons, no wearable armour like clothes, but innate assault systems and living armour (like insects tend to have)?
    It's not that you ever seen a H'urq wield a potato knife, right?
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.
  • Options
    victis#5061 victis Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Vorta being an option for Dom.
    More options for existing species would be nice..like Ferengi ears being adjustable.
  • Options
    Vorta being an option for Dom.
    More options for existing species would be nice..like Ferengi ears being adjustable.

True, and in the case of the Vorta it would help dispel the feeling that the Dominion isn't really "all in" as far as the Alliance is concerned and are instead just humoring Odo for the moment. The Dominion in the show is so intelligence ops based that it just does not sit well that their intelligence service has almost no presence in the Hurq war or the Alliance whatsoever.

Also, if you use the telekinesis trait clicky it is exactly the Vorta telekinetic power that Eris used, not any of the other TK power effects Trek has had over the years (the Platonian version for instance). And yes, that power was ignored in the series except for when Eris used it, but it could be a rare talent (and so a great thing for player characters to have), or it could have just been concealed by the others as part of the overall disinformation campaign as a sort of ace in the hole.

Player relation wise fixing the Dominion by bringing in leveling Vorta (and hopefully even "alien") character generator options to the Dominion faction and making quality passes and other fixes to established races would help head off possible backlash if they bring in races from the new shows, since it would otherwise be regarded as more "DSC bias" the way it has been with the new series ships.
  • Options
    shren#1472 shren Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited July 2020
    So i have been thinking about this and i figured out a way to make the Dominion faction have more races and basically that means having genetically modified jem'hadar... You might be wondering what the hell that means. Well lets say that the founders wanted to make more advanced warriors. They would use the DNA of other races and mix them with the established jem'hadar. Powerful races like Tzenkethi (Tzen'Hadar or Jem'Kethi), Voth (Voth'hadar or Jem'Voth) or even Vorta to name a few. from a story aspect this would make sense since they made the fek'lhri using klingon dna. You wouldnt have to make a story around it they could already be established. Also not making a race playable because of story is complete BS.
    " Live Long And Assimilate "
  • Options
    So i have been thinking about this and i figured out a way to make the Dominion faction have more races and basically that means having genetically modified jem'hadar... You might be wondering what the hell that means. Well lets say that the founders wanted to make more advanced warriors. They would use the DNA of other races and mix them with the established jem'hadar. Powerful races like Tzenkethi (Tzen'Hadar or Jem'Kethi), Voth (Voth'hadar or Jem'Voth) or even Vorta to name a few. from a story aspect this would make sense since they made the fek'lhri using klingon dna. You wouldnt have to make a story around it they could already be established. Also not making a race playable because of story is complete BS.

The problem with that is that many people like to do things closer to the way the shows presented the universe and people, and in the case of the Dominion that means Vorta in charge of all the day to day stuff. The Jem'Hadar were essentially Star Trek's biotech equivalent to the "Roger! Roger!" battledroids of Star Wars. Designing new models of meat-droids would do nothing to solve the problem.

On top of that, sex-locked classes (which the Dominion in STO essentially is at the moment) has never been popular in MMOs, even in the case were the sex is "neuter" like the Jem'Hadar.
  • Options
    shren#1472 shren Member Posts: 40 Arc User

The problem with that is that many people like to do things closer to the way the shows presented the universe and people, and in the case of the Dominion that means Vorta in charge of all the day to day stuff. The Jem'Hadar were essentially Star Trek's biotech equivalent to the "Roger! Roger!" battledroids of Star Wars. Designing new models of meat-droids would do nothing to solve the problem.

On top of that, sex-locked classes (which the Dominion in STO essentially is at the moment) has never been popular in MMOs, even in the case were the sex is "neuter" like the Jem'Hadar.

Im just trying to give an option for the dominion to chose something besides Jem'hadar and Jem'hadar I could care less if vorta are there or not. you can make them in the alien generator for the other factions. With Odo in charge I think some things would change like more free thinking Jem'hadar like some spec ops clones where in star wars. But to hell with our ideas lets just copy the alien designs from that idiot on that show "face off" who destroyed the klingon look only to give them there hair back in the second season due to fan backlash. Some of the other races looked alright I liked the kelpiens i heard they will be in game when they get cbs approval but i dont know they would have trouble with the feet. because we cant even have races with 3 fingers like tellerites, gorn, Voth (which is why they are not playable I believe. Still hoping someday they will.)
    " Live Long And Assimilate "
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    if you guys would like to continue this discussion elsewhere that's cool. but please don't try to revive a zombie in the process
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.