What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Updating Seven of Nine

2»

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    this is why non-com/officer ranks in star wars were far better (imperial ones, at least) - they were in prominent position on the left breast, they were SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the pips, and they were made of 3 different colors, with rank dependent on specific combinations of those colored squares; so once you knew which combination corresponded to what rank, you could tell immediately at a glance what rank someone was - or even which branch of service they were in​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I'd wish we got sleeve ranks back. Those are way more fly.​​

They do add a certain something to the uniforms. Considering most uniforms are primarily blue or black with mono-colour sleeves, they add a splash of colour to them.
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Sleeve rank is easier to see than collar pips.
    I wish Trek would move back to rank symbols like in the WOK uniforms

The ranks seen on the 2278 to the 2349 uniforms (and the uniforms and additional costumes from that period as well) are possibly the best in Trek. They're distinct, appear on both the shoulder and arm, are visually interesting, and stand out against whatever division colour they're on.
    The details like the separate NCO and crewpersons uniforms, or the admirals ranks having ribbons of different patterns as well as the badge, or the gold trim and double gold trim on different admirals uniforms are also nice touches.
    so once you knew which combination corresponded to what rank, you could tell immediately at a glance what rank someone was
    ​​

Until RotJ where they all have the same ranks.
    or even which branch of service they were in
    ​​

There's not really any distinguishing between army, starfleet, or intelligence ranks.
    The people around Tarkin and Krenic in RO and ANH use badges of four colours (red, orange, yellow, and blue) whereas the ones in Rebels, TESB, and RotJ only use blue and red.
    The uniforms are more of a giveaway (army is grey and starfleet is black) but officers use that green/grey regardless of branch (look at Veers and Piett).
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    ROTJ was a costuming error - they weren't supposed to all have the exact same rank patch​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    ROTJ was a costuming error - they weren't supposed to all have the exact same rank patch​​

Yeah, I'm aware. I'm just pointing out that it was therefore impossible to tell what rank anybody was. Oh, and Jerjerrod being credited as 'Moff' yet addressed as 'commander' doesn't help.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    well, given he was the overall commander of the DS2, i figure that instance was an example of rank-as-position, like how anyone in charge of a ship - whether star or oceanic - is addressed as captain, even if they don't hold that rank​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    well, given he was the overall commander of the DS2, i figure that instance was an example of rank-as-position, like how anyone in charge of a ship - whether star or oceanic - is addressed as captain, even if they don't hold that rank​​

But Tarkin was 'Governor' and 'Moff' not 'commander' even though he was commander of the DS1. And Piett was still addressed as Admiral when captain of the Executor.

Mind you, this was the franchise that gave us an order of monks being folded into the rank structure of an army where 14 year old students became commanders in said army and could order around naval admirals on their own ships. Where smugglers and mine administrators were given the rank of general then sent to command ships and admirals wore fancy frocks instead of uniforms.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    yeah, that...kind of doesn't make any sense - first of all, the jedi should've never gotten involved in the war to begin with...but they did, so they had to be attached to armies and fleets - but it should've been as ADVISORS and maybe spec-ops and general problem-solvers, not generals and commanders

where the hell did they even GET that level of army and fleet leadership experience, anyway? that's something that takes YEARS of training to instill in someone, and the war came on the republic so quickly, if it hadn't been for that deus-ex fleet and clone army, they probably would've been completely overrun in weeks

han and lando being made generals is at least a bit more understandable - when you're a rebellion, you work with what you're given, though they didn't need to be given a rank quite THAT high (and they didn't start introducing defected imperial officers like crix madine until AFTER the trilogy had been out for years), and han at least had prior imperial army training, which probably at least included basic leadership tactics and training; but that's ALSO something that was established after ROTJ had been out for years

though, we probably shouldn't be talking about this, because it's not only not the topic of the thread, it's the wrong franchise entirely​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    edited February 2020
    The Republic had some sort of military prior to the Clone Wars. There's the blue uniformed officers on the Radiant Star in TMP and the Senate Commandos and Blue Senate Guards so I'd assume Yularen and Tarkin were probably in the Republic's old military prior to the GAR. The implication seems to be the clones (along with the Venator and Acclamator) are new but the Republic still had an army and fleet (like the Arquitens, Pelta, or Charger ships).

#TASforSTO

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    artan42 wrote: »
    The Republic had some sort of military prior to the Clone Wars. There's the blue uniformed officers on the Radiant Star in TMP and the Senate Commandos and Blue Senate Guards so I'd assume Yularen and Tarkin were probably in the Republic's old military prior to the GAR. The implication seems to be the clones (along with the Venator and Acclamator) are new but the Republic still had an army and fleet (like the Arquitens, Pelta, or Charger ships).

Probably nothing more than a peacekeeping force, suitable for only anti-piracy and law enforcement duties. Seemed like the Republic before the Clone Wars was largely demilitarized.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    obviously...even if you're at peace and demilitarized, you still want to keep at least SOME armed forces

but i wasn't talking about the republic personnel - how did the JEDI sudden acquire so much leadership knowledge and skill? like mace windu said in AOTC, they're keepers of peace, not warriors, so they certainly hadn't been attending military academies​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »

Probably nothing more than a peacekeeping force, suitable for only anti-piracy and law enforcement duties. Seemed like the Republic before the Clone Wars was largely demilitarized.

Considering how corporations field massive armies (like the Trade Federation) I can't see the Republic allowing that to go unnoticed. Yularen did talk about fighting Trench in a full scale navel battle (Malaster?) prior to The Invasion of Naboo.
    They may not have been fielding Star Destroyers but they clearly had some sort of military experience else they would have been wiped out by the far more experienced conglomerates that made up the CIS.
    but i wasn't talking about the republic personnel - how did the JEDI sudden acquire so much leadership knowledge and skill? like mace windu said in AOTC, they're keepers of peace, not warriors, so they certainly hadn't been attending military academies​​

Well, simply, they don't. Their tactics consist of sending clones marching in straight lines towards droids doing the same. The only example of tactical thinking I can remember (I'm only at the end of series one in the rewatch though) was Ashoka turning the Star Destroyer sideways to shelter some frigates and Anakin hiding some AT-TEs on an asteroid to flank some CIS frigates.

I have no idea how they managed to let the Republic (or would even what to at that) put them in command of an army, perhaps it was Palpatine's manipulations, seeing as it would drag the war on and make the Jedi look incompetent.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Sorry, 7 of 9 is a Star wars Character now?? :lol:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    gaevsman wrote: »
    Sorry, 7 of 9 is a Star wars Character now?? :lol:

7 of 9? Sounds like a Star Trek person to me. Get her out of our Star Wars forum please.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    > @gaevsman said:
    > Sorry, 7 of 9 is a Star wars Character now?? :lol:

I had actually forgotten this thread was about Seven.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    I disagree. I think that Seven can be brought in line with a visual update and some dialogue tweaks, Icheb and Hugh were never vital parts of the STO story, so they can be replaced and a more in-line characterization can be brought in for Hugh later if they want. The advantage of being a video game is that these things can be edited after the fact, but saying STO is a continuation of Prime timeline but also ignoring the effects of that timeline are at odd with one-another.

From a Business standpoint, it makes no sense to spend A LOT of money (Jeri Ryan isn't doing this out of the goodness of her heart - it's her profession and she gets paid, and paid well) to redo existing VO for content that works just fine. STO takes place now 13 years AFTER Star Trek Picard; so maybe 7 of 9 has changed again, or came back to work with Star Fleet BECAUSE of the Iconian War; and as she's recommissioned for the run of the war, and working with past colleagues; she went back to wearing what she wore when she was a member of Star Fleet. After teh Iconian War 'ends' she decides to return to being a 'Fenris Ranger'.

Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    this is why non-com/officer ranks in star wars were far better (imperial ones, at least) - they were in prominent position on the left breast, they were SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the pips, and they were made of 3 different colors, with rank dependent on specific combinations of those colored squares; so once you knew which combination corresponded to what rank, you could tell immediately at a glance what rank someone was - or even which branch of service they were in​​

and made of candy, they looked like..... :s
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    drunkflux#5679 drunkflux Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    They could just update the hair and outfit. Doesnt have to be the same outfit as her outfit as a fenris ranger. Id rather though they did update it some. Let the dialogue and voice acting speak for us on her personality, not the out dated appearance.

Thinking of ideas from lots of games for, dunno how long now.
  • Options
    drunkflux#5679 drunkflux Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > this is why non-com/officer ranks in star wars were far better (imperial ones, at least) - they were in prominent position on the left breast, they were SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the pips, and they were made of 3 different colors, with rank dependent on specific combinations of those colored squares; so once you knew which combination corresponded to what rank, you could tell immediately at a glance what rank someone was - or even which branch of service they were in​​

Not really. Over flashy ranks just tell the other side who to shoot at first :)

Thinking of ideas from lots of games for, dunno how long now.
This discussion has been closed.