test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

ENTERPRISE CONTENT... WHEN? :-/

thelastdoctor12thelastdoctor12 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
Does anyone else think Enterprise has been sorely overlooked in STO? Like we've had huge updates from every other series. Where's Enterprise?
Sure we've got the NX and refit and standard and mirror ENT costumes, but that's it.
I'd love to see an Enterprise expansion! Maybe a story arc surrounding the Romulan War? It's unlikely to ever be made into a series or movie, so in a video game seems to make a lot of sense. Bring back some of the Enterprise cast, almost be a way of giving them a better send off than they got in the series too.
I suspect we'll get Picard content instead, which is a shame, because that story line is proving quite dull already without trying to drag it out or add to it in game as well.

Anyone else feel that Enterprise has been ignored for too long?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    I agree it would be cool to see more ENT themed missions. But content based on the new shows and featuring those characters is simply going to be a bigger draw for new players, so from a business perspective I can understand why that will be their focus.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    we have gotten some enterprise related content, the entire yesterday's war and future proof story arcs where dealing with ideas introduced in Enterprise. and they dealt with the content that made the most sense to deal with. keep in mind we never actually SAW the romulan war in enterprise. so pretty much the bulk of what STO was left to work with was the time war shinnagens
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    Also, the ring style warp drives that some Vulcan and Romulan ships use came from ENT originally.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    I seriously doubt we will get any new Enterprise content with all of the new Discovery, Picard, and the other new Star Trek series content coming. It was actually surprising that we received new TOS content with the anniversary missions.
  • Options
    I fear you are all right sadly. I'll be honest, I've not been that fussed with the Discovery additions, nor am I particularly interested in what additions Picard will bring. But as you say, it's what's being made atm. Enterprise was 15 years ago now. That's making me feel old! Lol XD
  • Options
    I mean I suppose we could travel back in time and interact with members of the NX-01 crew, but to be honest I'd almost rather cryptic focus more on their own plots and less on an endless stream of guest apperances. the gamma quadrant story was really weak and a large part of it, to my mind felt like it was because they spent too much time going "LOOK! LOOK! IT'S THE DS9 CAST!"
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    As a big fan of Enterprise (I love that show) I have to agree that it's been pretty well represented in this game.

I certainly wouldn't complain about more Enterprise content, but I wouldn't say it's been neglected to this point.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Also the Tellarites and Andorians use their ENT appearance and ships. The show massively influenced the visuals and primary storylines of the game. I'd dare to say ENT content is pretty much finished at this point.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    The one area Enterprise hasn't gotten much representation is via voice acting, but that could be because the actors aren't intreasted. Enterprise after all only got 4 seasons and was cancelled.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    The one area Enterprise hasn't gotten much representation is via voice acting, but that could be because the actors aren't intreasted. Enterprise after all only got 4 seasons and was cancelled.

From what I've gathered the actors weren't very satisfied how they and the show got treated and that's why they're not doing new content for those characters, so it's not so much that it got 4 seasons and was cancelled but rather why it got cancelled in the first place. For example the actor playing T'Pol has said that she felt that her character was either under used or poorly used, her example was making T'Pol an unstable junkie for most of season 3
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @spiritborn said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > From what I've gathered the actors weren't very satisfied how they and the show got treated and that's why they're not doing new content for those characters, so it's not so much that it got 4 seasons and was cancelled but rather why it got cancelled in the first place. For example the actor playing T'Pol has said that she felt that her character was either under used or poorly used, her example was making T'Pol an unstable junkie for most of season 3

T'Pol was poorly written, true, but Jolene Blalock also couldn't act to save her life...

ENT was a trainwreck front, center and back. Partly because the network wanted a TNG clone, including using TNG weapons and aliens way before "their time" but the other part was because of really useless characters. The navigator had so few lines that I don't even remember his name, and T'Pol was a really weak attempt at Spocking/Dataing it up with 'unstable emotions'. Oh, really? How original.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Storylines from the show have been explored, but the era itself has very little representation overall. Only one mission has us briefly pop into that time period, the only Fed ship we have is the NX, and we don't have any of the weapons (phase pistols, EM Pistols, plasma/pulse rifles, MACO weapons, spatial torpedoes, phase cannons). I'd be happy with just getting the NX Intrepid, a NX hat (usable with uniforms), and the ground weapons, but there's still plenty they can do with the time period from a story perspective.

If they can't get any of the cast to get involved then they could just have us encounter someone else, maybe the crew of Columbia or a ship not seen on-screen? Story should obviously cover the Romulan War since that's where they would have gone next, if they did it as another new "faction" then normal feds would just get the missions as historical holodeck simulations like they did with the Disco stuff, or they could come up with a story about someone trying to alter the outcome of the war (new faction method seems less convoluted to me, but is also probably more work).
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The navigator had so few lines that I don't even remember his name

...Who? Oh, yeah, right, that guy who has been in space.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I wouldn't mind having some Enterprise era ground weapons to go with the uniforms we got.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    tyler002 wrote: »

Ensign Travis Mayweather (sp?)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »
    tyler002 wrote: »

Ensign Maywether (sp?)

Ensign Travis Mayweather (IIRC).
  • Options
    I agree mostly with what's been said here. Although, I don't agree with a certain comment saying Enterprise was a complete Train wreak. I think season 4 gave us some of the best Trek ever. But that is just my opinion, and opinions are all objective.
    True they gave us a closure to the Temporal War, but that all took place either in the future or present day game time for the most part, which makes sense considering where that ended in the series.
    I agree a few more ENT era ships would be nice, would totally be down for an Intrepid type as you say and some ENT era weapons. Would kinda like the MACO gear. Ik you can get the uniforms from the Lobi store. Same with the NX refit unless you buy the latest bundle, either way, it's ruinously expensive.

But yes, a Romulan War arc would be pretty awesome. I do somewhat agree with the DS9 expansion, I was very disappointed with it, one I think so many players had been waiting for, it was very poor. The last time they put what felt like any real effort into an expansion that brought back a sizeable original cast presence was Delta Rising, it came with a long, well thought out story arc. Now we just get a few feature episodes and that's it. Shame really.
  • Options
    fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    I loved all of Enterpirse except for the final episode. It was a great take on the birth of starflee and I'd of killed for a Romulan/Earth war arc leading to the founding of the federation and starfleet instead of the cop out we got.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I loved all of Enterpirse except for the final episode. It was a great take on the birth of starflee and I'd of killed for a Romulan/Earth war arc leading to the founding of the federation and starfleet instead of the cop out we got.

I don't consider that "finale" to be an Enterprise episode, it's just a stupid holodeck episode of TNG guest starring the cast of Enterprise.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    If they can't get any of the cast to get involved then they could just have us encounter someone else, maybe the crew of Columbia or a ship not seen on-screen? Story should obviously cover the Romulan War since that's where they would have gone next, if they did it as another new "faction" then normal feds would just get the missions as historical holodeck simulations like they did with the Disco stuff, or they could come up with a story about someone trying to alter the outcome of the war (new faction method seems less convoluted to me, but is also probably more work).

I think a major obstacle is making the era itself relevant to modern STO. There was a lot of timey-wimey handwaving in AOY and AOD to bring those respective eras forward and while there's a lot to work with in ENT most of the big items were pulled in for the Temporal cold war (Sphere Builders, Na'Kuhl, future guy.) They could certainly do it again with ENT but there's an argument to be made that repeating the pattern a third time is less likely to have the intended impact, thus making the story feel much more token and the game as a whole more one-note. Ditto holographic simulation characters (Stamets is owning that arc.) Representation of [insert series here] isn't as important to having a fun game than constructed story arcs which leverage not only themselves but the game's setting as a whole (see. the latest FE versus AoD's one-off simulations.)

Personally, I'd much rather see a less magical plot device (ex. last ditch cryogenic freezing on a derelict ship) take a right turn on expectations to bring a character forward (Ex. Malcom) to continue a plot line of theirs (ex. Section 31) in the full context of 2411 or establish that Denobulans (like some classic sci-fi aliens, ex. Niven's Puppetiers) have an indefinite life span and Phlox is still in practice (and if I was writing a section 31 arc, I'd do both and really leverage character interactions than the mere fact of having a cameo VO in the game.) Regardless of the how, it needs a more creative approach to not just be a Saturday morning cartoon hang out with the historical figure (because compulsory parity with other series.) ENT deserves love, as with any other part of the IP, but it would be a disservice to throw it in without careful story construction and a point very specifically in mind.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    I think I'd rather they get back to making new stories that aren't necessarily tied to any of the shows.
  • Options
    It would probably be better to have a one off where we find the NX-02 Columbia in the Gamma Quadrant or something.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    We don't need Yet Another Timetravel Expansion.

And as already mentioned, Enterprise was already heavily featured in AoY.
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    Let's just cut to the chase and say that it would be nice to see at least one of the main cast from Enterprise get a shot at adding their voice acting to STO. Personally I think that John Billingsley's "Doctor Phlox" could easily fit into a Star Trek Online scenario?
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    We don't need Yet Another Timetravel Expansion.

And as already mentioned, Enterprise was already heavily featured in AoY.

If we go with finding Columbia... it doesn't necessarily mean time travel. In a comic they actually found the wreck of Columbia in the Gamma Quadrant... in the 24th Century.
    I don't know what happened to Columbia herself in the Destiny novels, but I know that Captain Hernandez was still around through crazy technoshenanigans involving a precursor to the Borg. But then I also heard something about Columbia's crew being the origin of the Borg and all kinds of crazy and its just... lets not go THAT route and stick to something abit more interesting.

Maybe Columbia was caught in a temporal loop like the Bozeman and we find her and break her free in 2411? Would be kinda cool to bring in Hernandez at least. That way we don't have to resort to holograms or time travel (in the traditional sense of us going back in time ourselves) to bring in someone from Enterprise.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

I don't consider that "finale" to be an Enterprise episode, it's just a stupid holodeck episode of TNG guest starring the cast of Enterprise.

But Terra Prime didn't have any of the TNG cast in it...
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'Dead Stop'.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

But Terra Prime didn't have any of the TNG cast in it...

Obviously evilmark comes from a parallel universe or alternate timeline. Just like how some people actually think that there was an episode 15 of season 2 for Voyager. The 15th episode mysteriously vanished before it could air.
  • Options
    Kinda like how Grey 17 doesn't exist on Babylon 5.
This discussion has been closed.