test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Twelve Disco Connies

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
edited February 2020 in Ten Forward
To my knowledge, and at least during the time of TOS, there are stated to be at least twelve Constitution Class starships in active service. Those references or mentions came from the following episodes (if Memory Alpha is to be believed);
  • TOS: "Tomorrow is Yesterday"
  • TAS: "The Counter-Clock Incident"
  • ENT: "In a Mirror, Darkly"
  • DIS: "Brother")

Now here's the for fun element of this post; if you were given the role of labelling the twelve Constitution Class starships to feature, or to be mentioned either in Discovery, or in a new (hopeful) Pike Series, which ship names would you go with?; would you use any of the already recognised ones, or would you replace and introduce some different names for your fleet. If the latter, would your chosen replacements be in honour of anyone, or anything, or otherwise have a meaning behind them?

I'd roll with these:
  1. USS Constitution, NCC-1607; per the Star Trek Encyclopedia, with a different registry applied.
  2. USS Farragut, NCC-1647; per the Star Trek Encyclopedia.
  3. USS Potemkin, NCC-1657; per the Star Trek Encyclopedia.
  4. USS Enterprise, NCC-1701; per the Star Trek Encyclopedia, and flagship of the Federation Fleet.
  5. USS Intrepid, NCC-1708; per the Star Trek Encyclopedia.
  6. USS Yorktown, NCC-1717; per the Star Trek Encyclopedia.
  7. USS Vol'Rala, NCC-1725; named after an Andorian starship featuring in the ENT novel "A Choice of Futures".
  8. USS Yoshiro, NCC-1937; named in honour of Emperor Yoshiro, portrayed by George Takei (born 1937) in the C&C: Red Alert 3 video game.
  9. USS Sheridan, NCC-1950; named after the character of John Sheridan (played by Bruce Boxleitner, born 1950) from the Babylon 5 TV show.
  10. USS Crichton, NCC-1962; named after the character of John Crichton (played by Ben Browder, born 1962) from the Farscape TV show.
  11. USS Red October, NCC-1975; named after the novel "Hunt for the Red October", based on the Soviet frigate Storozhevoy of 1975.
  12. USS Yarahla; named after a Vulcan starship referenced in the ENT episode "Breaking the Ice".
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222

Comments

• Options
    jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    I'll bite.

I'm guessing what with there being 12 ships, and one ~must~ be Enterprise, I'll say ...

1. U.S.S. Enterprise, NCC-1701. See above.
    2. U.S.S. Burton, NCC-6286; named for Metallica bassist Cliff Burton, whom passed away in a bus accident in 1986
    3. U.S.S. Sinatra, NCC-1598; named for legendary singer Frank Sinatra
    4. U.S.S. Martin, NCC-1795; named for singer Dean Martin
    5. U.S.S. May, NCC-1970; named for musician and astrophysicist Brian May
    6. U.S.S. Hama, NCC-1949; named for G.I. Joe comic writer Larry Hama
    7. U.S.S. Roddenberry, NCC-2191; named for Gene Roddenberry. 'nuff said
    8. U.S.S. Ross, NCC-4295; named for Bob Ross. Happy trees!
    9. U.S.S. Hetfield, NCC-1963; named for Metallica singer/guitarist James Hetfield
    10. U.S.S. Lucas, NCC-1977; named for George Lucas. You might know him for some space opera movies ...
    11. U.S.S. Clarke, NCC-1708; named for sci-fi author Arthur C. Clarke.
    12. U.S.S. Heinlein, NCC-8807; named for author Robert A. Heinlein.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    Fraid the works already been done as far back as TOS season 2, although the list is actually 14 ships long (the "only 12 like her in the fleet" comment was made after 2 Connies had been lost)
    The list is as follows:

Enterprise
    Exeter
    Excalibur
    Lexington
    Yorktown
    Potemkin
    Republic
    Hood
    Constitution
    Kongo
    Constellation
    Farragut
    Valiant
    Intrepid
  • Options
    I'm guessing what with there being 12 ships, and one ~must~ be Enterprise, I'll say...
    Afraid so, I suppose I could've said we had to have the Constitution herself too, but we'll let that one slide.
    Fraid the works already been done as far back as TOS season 2, although the list is actually 14 ships long (the "only 12 like her in the fleet" comment was made after 2 Connies had been lost)
    I know there's an official list, I was well aware of that before. The purpose of this post was to allow you, and others here to get creative and create their own 12 (or 11, cause we've got to include the Enterprise really).
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2020
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    edited February 2020
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
  • Options
    edited February 2020

#TASforSTO

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Um... less antagonizing each other please? We've got enough of that floating around the forums...

Besides... common knowledge is that USS Enterprise = Flagship. Not everyone is gonna know the DEEP LORE that says Enterprise was just another ship until Enterprise-D.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited February 2020
  • Options
    edited February 2020

#TASforSTO

• Options
    edited February 2020
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    Stop antagonizing and derailing the thread.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    flash525 wrote: »
    I'm guessing what with there being 12 ships, and one ~must~ be Enterprise, I'll say...
    Afraid so, I suppose I could've said we had to have the Constitution herself too, but we'll let that one slide.
    I know there's an official list, I was well aware of that before. The purpose of this post was to allow you, and others here to get creative and create their own 12 (or 11, cause we've got to include the Enterprise really).

There is also the interpretation that by "only twelve like her" Kirk meant that there twelve in addition to the Enterprise (or thirteen operational Constitutions at that point).

Also, it is possible that Kirk was only talking about Class-IX ships using that hull configuration, Greg Jein compiled a list based on various pieces of internal documentation, prop displays, and frames from the 35mm films used to shoot the series where he found that a number of different Mk numbers were used in connection with the various ships, and Decker's Constellation was supposedly a "MK VII" while Enterprise and Constitution itself were among the "Mk IX" ships. If you take a close look at the episode Constellation was slightly but significantly different from Enterprise (though the remastered version probably does not show the differences the original did, which came from using the regular shooting model for Enterprise and a plastic AMT model for Constellation). They even used some of Jein's list in canon which implies that the rest of it is probably safe to consider official.

• Options
    ...so @phoenixc#0738 , if you were writing for a possible Pike Trek episode or series which was to feature or reference twelve Constitution class vessels, what names would you give them, and why?
  • Options
    fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    I would just go with the SFB names: 1700 Constitution, 1701 Enterprise, 1702 Farragut (converted to CVS-1960), 1704 Yorktown, 1706
    Exeter, 1707 Hood, 1708 Intrepid, 1709 Valiant, 1711 Potemkin, 1713 Monitor, 1714 Hornet, 1715 Merimac, 1716 Endeavor,
    1717 Defiance, 1718 Excelsior, 1721 Wasp, 1722 El Dorado, 1723 Ari, 1724 Saratoga, 1725 Tori, 1726 Krieger
  • Options
    That’s an odd twelve @fallenkezef#4581 :p
  • Options
    joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    Nine Constitutions appeared in TOS - Enterprise NCC-1701, Constellation NCC-1017 ("The Doomsday Machine"), Exeter NCC-1672 ("The Omega Glory"), Intrepid NCC-1631 ("The Immunity Syndrome"), Defiant NCC-1764 ("The Tholian Web"), Potemkin NCC-1657, Lexington NCC-1709, Excalibur NCC-1664, and Hood NCC-1703 (all "The Ultimate Computer"). NCC-1700 (which we see only in schematics, i.e. a scene early in Star Trek III) is generally accepted to be the Constitution herself, so we'll say that's ten.

The other two could have been from among a couple - the Republic NCC-1371 (mentioned in "Court Martial", believed to be Kirk's first assignment out of the Academy), the Farragut NCC-1647 (mentioned in "Obsession", the vampire cloud thing), or the Yorktown NCC-1704/1717 (which, some claim, became the Enterprise NCC-1701-A after Star Trek IV). A Valiant (NCC-1709) is also listed as a possibility, but some sources have it as the ship lost at Eminiar VII fifty years before the Enterprise's visit in "A Taste of Armageddon"; if there was a Constitution-class Valiant, I would think it would be named for that lost ship, considering the Constitution would not have come around until about the 2240s (Enterprise was launched in 2245, for instance).

The thing is, it's hard to use registry numbers to determine how old the ship is, considering it feels like they decide ship numbers by random throws at a dartboard. Take Discovery, for instance - the Shenzhou is quite a bit older than the Discovery (I'm convinced that both she and the Glenn are more or less just out of the shipyard when we see them, maybe a year or two old) and yet has a higher registry. Nearly all of the Constitutions seen on screen have a lower registry number than Enterprise (or Constitution, if we go with the generally-accepted NCC-1700), and yet Enterprise is probably older than them (as would, of course, be Constitution). Either the numbers are generated at random, or just reused with different names and without any suffixed letters, as opposed to the seven (or eleven) ships named Enterprise with 1701 registries.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    The list is as follows:

Enterprise
    Exeter
    Excalibur
    Lexington
    Yorktown
    Potemkin
    Republic
    Hood
    Constitution
    Kongo
    Constellation
    Farragut
    Valiant
    Intrepid

that list, so says Franz Joseph's Starfleet Technical Manual from 1975, which I have
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    To my knowledge, and at least during the time of TOS, there are stated to be at least twelve Constitution Class starships in active service. Those references or mentions came from the following episodes (if Memory Alpha is to be believed);
    • TOS: "Tomorrow is Yesterday"
    • TAS: "The Counter-Clock Incident"
    • ENT: "In a Mirror, Darkly"
    • DIS: "Brother")

Now here's the for fun element of this post; if you were given the role of labelling the twelve Constitution Class starships to feature, or to be mentioned either in Discovery, or in a new (hopeful) Pike Series, which ship names would you go with?; would you use any of the already recognised ones, or would you replace and introduce some different names for your fleet. If the latter, would your chosen replacements be in honour of anyone, or anything, or otherwise have a meaning behind them?

I'd roll with these:
    1. USS Constitution, NCC-1607; per the Star Trek Encyclopedia, with a different registry applied.
    2. USS Farragut, NCC-1647; per the Star Trek Encyclopedia.
    3. USS Potemkin, NCC-1657; per the Star Trek Encyclopedia.
    4. USS Enterprise, NCC-1701; per the Star Trek Encyclopedia, and flagship of the Federation Fleet.
    5. USS Intrepid, NCC-1708; per the Star Trek Encyclopedia.
    6. USS Yorktown, NCC-1717; per the Star Trek Encyclopedia.
    7. USS Vol'Rala, NCC-1725; named after an Andorian starship featuring in the ENT novel "A Choice of Futures".
    8. USS Yoshiro, NCC-1937; named in honour of Emperor Yoshiro, portrayed by George Takei (born 1937) in the C&C: Red Alert 3 video game.
    9. USS Sheridan, NCC-1950; named after the character of John Sheridan (played by Bruce Boxleitner, born 1950) from the Babylon 5 TV show.
    10. USS Crichton, NCC-1962; named after the character of John Crichton (played by Ben Browder, born 1962) from the Farscape TV show.
    11. USS Red October, NCC-1975; named after the novel "Hunt for the Red October", based on the Soviet frigate Storozhevoy of 1975.
    12. USS Yarahla; named after a Vulcan starship referenced in the ENT episode "Breaking the Ice".

You'd need to repace two of the ships in that list because at the time of Pike - U.S.S. Costellation (lost to TOS S2 "The Doomsday Machine" and the U.S.S. Defiant (lost in TOS S3 - "The Tholian Web") would still be in service.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    ...so @phoenixc#0738 , if you were writing for a possible Pike Trek episode or series which was to feature or reference twelve Constitution class vessels, what names would you give them, and why?

I would probably use Greg Jein's list for that since it is the best researched and seems to be the most accepted one. Jein's list has more than 12 (or even 13 as the wording of Kirk's statement seems to imply) but it was "set" after 'Tomorrow is Yesterday' so it may refer to newly constructed (or unmothballed) ships as well as others (like Constellation) that are possibly not technically Constitution class ships but rather an older class that shares the same basic hull (like the way the US Ticonderoga-class and Spruance-class ships are built on the same hull but considered completely different classes):

NCC-1371 USS Republic Mk. VI space cruiser

NCC-1017 USS Constellation Mk. VII interstellar cruiser
    NCC-1623 USS Valiant Mk. VII interstellar cruiser
    NCC-1631 USS Intrepid Mk. VII interstellar cruiser

NCC-1647 USS Farragut Mk. VIII space cruiser
    NCC-1664 USS Excalibur Mk. VIII interstellar cruiser
    NCC-1672 USS Exeter Mk. VIII interstellar cruiser
    NCC-1685 USS Eagle Mk. VIII interstellar cruiser
    NCC-1697 USS Essex Mk. VIII interstellar cruiser

NCC-1700 USS Constitution Mk. IX deep space cruiser
    NCC-1701 USS Enterprise Mk. IX deep space cruiser
    NCC-1702 USS Potemkin Mk. IX deep space cruiser
    NCC-1703 USS Hood Mk. IX deep space cruiser
    NCC-1709 USS Lexington Mk. IX deep space cruiser
    NCC-1717 USS Yorktown Mk. IX deep space cruiser
    NCC-1719 USS Endeavor Mk. IX deep space cruiser
    NCC-1732 USS Kongo Mk. IX deep space cruiser
    NCC-1764 USS Defiant Mk. IX deep space cruiser

NCC-1865 USS Tashik-Sotra Mk. X deep space cruiser
    NCC-1866 USS Lafayette Mk. X deep space cruiser
    NCC-1868 USS Hornet Mk. X deep space cruiser

In this case Kirk's dozen would probably have been the Mk. IX and Mk X ships in the list, though it could have been the nines and some of the lower Mk ships still in service and the tens might not have been built (or at least active) yet. In fact, the Phase II style ship that is seen in the background in TMP (the one that has the movie secondary hull but the TOS saucer) may have been one of the Mk X ships.

I got that chart from this page (though I have a paper copy somewhere around here that was part of the old FASA game too):

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Case_of_Jonathan_Doe_Starship