test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Daisy Riddley wants to Star Trek

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I'd like to see that, although Riddley played best with Boyega in TFA. Her role sadly became much more wooden and badly written later, but the two could have been a great duo. But I liked all three of those performances and it could help Trek to get a bit of attention this way.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    Why not? It has always been about how well the person plays the character, and they both have the skill for it. It is ridiculous to think that someone would be kept out of playing a part just because they played a part in a "rival" production.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > Why not? It has always been about how well the person plays the character, and they both have the skill for it. It is ridiculous to think that someone would be kept out of playing a part just because they played a part in a "rival" production.

It's not because they starred in Star Wars *spits on ground*, but because those movies had such a massive divisive impact on their fans. Both on haters of the JJ Star Wars, but even scarier Reylo fans who sent death threats. Nothing personal towards Daisy, I like her eunthaism and the other guy, the "space sl*ts" as they put it themselves, but I'm not sure importing all that drama is going to be good for Star Trek.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    It's not because they starred in Star Wars *spits on ground*, but because those movies had such a massive divisive impact on their fans. Both on haters of the JJ Star Wars, but even scarier Reylo fans who sent death threats. Nothing personal towards Daisy, I like her eunthaism and the other guy, the "space sl*ts" as they put it themselves, but I'm not sure importing all that drama is going to be good for Star Trek.

Actors typically have very little to do with the way a movie is made, and the first two Kelvin Timeline films were about as divisive as the sequel trilogy. The common denominator here is J.J. Abrams, not Ridley, Boyega, or Isaacs.

The three of them were handed a lousy product in VII and IX, and they did the best they could. Just like I hate Janeway but I love Kate Mulgrew.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > Why not? It has always been about how well the person plays the character, and they both have the skill for it. It is ridiculous to think that someone would be kept out of playing a part just because they played a part in a "rival" production.

All new instalments in franchises with 'fans' will have a divisive reaction because any hiatus is filled with headcanon that the 'fans' will then take issue with the producers daring to ignore that headcanon in favour of doing something original.

I doubt any actor gets into these franchises without knowing they'll be a focal point of contention (main characters actors, bit parts probably wont consider it).

Hopefully Disney will plough on regardless with their plans because what their doing clearly has the mass market appeal.

Also, I like her earnestness as an actor, I think she'd be good in Trek.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    artan42 wrote: »
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:

All new instalments in franchises with 'fans' will have a divisive reaction because any hiatus is filled with headcanon that the 'fans' will then take issue with the producers daring to ignore that headcanon in favour of doing something original.

I doubt any actor gets into these franchises without knowing they'll be a focal point of contention (main characters actors, bit parts probably wont consider it).

Hopefully Disney will plough on regardless with their plans because what their doing clearly has the mass market appeal.

Actually, the latest rumor is that Disney's plan is to do nothing for the next three years or so on the cinematic front with Star Wars, which would put the next movie at about six years at the soonest. They will probably ride The Mandalorian for a few seasons until that horse dies underneath them and then play the infamous "Disney closet" game and wait until they think enough of a new audience is out there to trot Star Wars out again.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:

Actually, the latest rumor is that Disney's plan is to do nothing for the next three years or so on the cinematic front with Star Wars, which would put the next movie at about six years at the soonest. They will probably ride The Mandalorian for a few seasons until that horse dies underneath them and then play the infamous "Disney closet" game and wait until they think enough of a new audience is out there to trot Star Wars out again.

Personally, I think that is the best thing to do. TV series can allow for an extended amount of time for story development. It is part of the reason why I disliked the Avatar: The Last Airbender movie, but I liked the cartoon. It condensed Season 1 which is 7 hour and 40 minute into 1 hour and 43 minutes. The new Star Wars movies would have been much better if each movie was made into a Season. The Mandalorian had a total runtime of 5 hours and I seriously doubt it would be as good if was condensed to the same runtime as Rise of Skywalker with a runtime of 2 hours and 22 minutes.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing her or the rest of the Star Wars cast in Star Trek. I think they ere pretty decent actors doing a good job, I just don't like the story that was told in the new sequels.

Though if I had to pick one Star Wars actor from the sequels, I'd probably take Adam Driver. I really enjoyed his performance best, overall. Though that is not to say the others were bad.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    > @starswordc said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Actors typically have very little to do with the way a movie is made, and the first two Kelvin Timeline films were about as divisive as the sequel trilogy. The common denominator here is J.J. Abrams, not Ridley, Boyega, or Isaacs.
    >
    > The three of them were handed a lousy product in VII and IX, and they did the best they could. Just like I hate Janeway but I love Kate Mulgrew.

As divisive as the Kelvin movies were, this JJ Stars Wars was way, way worse. JJ and his family were getting death threats from SW fans, not ST fans.
  • Options
    > @mustrumridcully0 said:
    > Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing her or the rest of the Star Wars cast in Star Trek. I think they ere pretty decent actors doing a good job, I just don't like the story that was told in the new sequels.
    >
    > Though if I had to pick one Star Wars actor from the sequels, I'd probably take Adam Driver. I really enjoyed his performance best, overall. Though that is not to say the others were bad.

Adam Driver is great and very diverse. He's also funny - have you seen him on SNL? Sure, you never can unhear "Hi. I'm Mat" after you did, but he'd be a great addition as well 😃
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    If she wants to do Star Trek, I say let her. Actors shouldn't be punished for what movies they are in or who directed said movies.

Hell... Christopher Lee, who played amazing characters like Count Dooku in Star Wars and Sarumon in Lord of the Rings, freely admitted to one movie he was in that was terrible. In fact he once said "the less said about it the better". He was referring to his role in The Howling 2. Apparently that was one helluva stinker.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Considering how the greater Star Wars base are a bunch of rabid fools not satisfied with anything, I don't blame them in the slightest. Our fanbase by its very nature is open and welcoming to everyone, that is what Star Trek and its protagonists, the Federation, was all about. Lucasfilm also treated them badly and hampered them with lame writing and just didn't do a very good job supporting them overall, then the Star Wars fanbase tore them apart.

If JJ can defect from CBS/Paramount because they didn't give him a sweetheart deal with his Kelvin Timeline (which by the way that has failed, ie Discovery and Picard) so can Daisy Ridley and Oscaar Isaac.

I could see a Captain Rey in our future.....Voyager 2.0.

hmmm Isaac though I could see him in a DS9 style setting. He kind strikes me what Bashir was toward the later end of DS9.

I'm down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • Options
    If Daisy Riddley is in Star Trek, I don't want her to be anything like Rey. If she is a Captain, then it would be better for her to be an alien since we have had only humans as the protagonist captain.
  • Options
    jake477 wrote: »
    Our fanbase by its very nature is open and welcoming to everyone...

Enterprise, Discovery, and the Kelvin Timeline movies would like to have a word with you regarding being accepted when they first aired.

While in general what you said is true, I've seen Trek fans far more accepting of non Trek mods to Trek games than Wars fans were of non Wars mods (especially if its Trek related), seems like there's always a group of people who are so vocal AGAINST anything new unless it fits their view.

Enterprise was bashed because of various things like "Archer is a bad captain because X reason, Picard wouldn't do that" or "its too advanced compared to TOS".
    Then the Kelvin Timeline movies came out and... "IT DESTROYS CANON", "ITS TOO ADVANCED", "NOT MY TREK!"
    Then Discovery comes out and... "IT DESTROYS CANON", "ITS TOO ADVANCED", "NOT MY TREK", "UNIFORMS NEVER LOOKED LIKE THAT BECAUSE CAGE"...

Yea... things got ugly, and anyone who disagreed had to be beat with the "True Fan Shtick" until they conformed to their views.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    If Daisy Riddley is in Star Trek, I don't want her to be anything like Rey. If she is a Captain, then it would be better for her to be an alien since we have had only humans as the protagonist captain.

If Daisy Ridley is ever in Trek, she won't be anything like Rey; Starfleet doesn't use the Force, and the Federation doesn't base long-range policy on ancient prophecies.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »

If Daisy Ridley is ever in Trek, she won't be anything like Rey; Starfleet doesn't use the Force, and the Federation doesn't base long-range policy on ancient prophecies.

But there is Q and other powerful aliens in Star Trek. So it is not out of the realm of possibility for Daisy Riddley to play a powerful alien with abilities similar to the Force. However, such a role should be limited to a guest role like Q not a main role.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

Both Daisy and John are in their late 20's, so that would make them ideal for positions as Lieutenant or Lieutenant Commander's on starship duty. They could be a strong supporting presence as main cast. All depends on them if they want such a role after stepping down from the main starring role in three films.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    Yea... I'm wondering why the fixation on her playing a role similar to Rey. That's basically saying she WILL be typecast as the same kind of character because that's what she's known for.

It was literally pointed out that there are no force user type characters, and the counter is "There is Q". Who said she was gonna play a Q? No one!
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Yea... I'm wondering why the fixation on her playing a role similar to Rey. That's basically saying she WILL be typecast as the same kind of character because that's what she's known for.

It was literally pointed out that there are no force user type characters, and the counter is "There is Q". Who said she was gonna play a Q? No one!

There is also Wesley Crusher, Kes, and a couple others for Star Trek characters that obtain massive power, but start off innocent. So there are characters similar to Rey in Star Trek.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Rey playing a Tellarite Captain - that would be something pig-2.gif She had to gain a few pounds, tho' pig-15.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Yea... I'm wondering why the fixation on her playing a role similar to Rey. That's basically saying she WILL be typecast as the same kind of character because that's what she's known for.
    >
    > It was literally pointed out that there are no force user type characters, and the counter is "There is Q". Who said she was gonna play a Q? No one!

I'd have her play an Orion Slavegirl, just to see her fan base flip out.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Yea... I'm wondering why the fixation on her playing a role similar to Rey. That's basically saying she WILL be typecast as the same kind of character because that's what she's known for.
    >
    > It was literally pointed out that there are no force user type characters, and the counter is "There is Q". Who said she was gonna play a Q? No one!

I'd have her play an Orion Slavegirl, just to see her fan base flip out.
    "slave" :p hehehe
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Actually, the latest rumor is that Disney's plan is to do nothing for the next three years or so on the cinematic front with Star Wars

Which is a rumour so I'll ignore it.
    They will probably ride The Mandalorian for a few seasons

So plough on regardless then? That's not exactly taking a break for 6 years is it.
    until that horse dies underneath them

Sure it will.
    and then play the infamous "Disney closet" game and wait until they think enough of a new audience is out there to trot Star Wars out again.

Why? They already have a enormous one that has grown thanks to all the new material that's come out.
    As divisive as the Kelvin movies were, this JJ Stars Wars was way, way worse. JJ and his family were getting death threats from SW fans, not ST fans.

Except the SW films are great films and the ST in its entirety is better than any SW film other than RotS, ESB, and RO.

All your statement means is that SW fans are even more toxic than ST fans which doesn't surprise me due to SW having more mass market appeal than ST meaning it attracts a larger population of fans and therefore a higher population of twats.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    jake477 wrote: »
    Our fanbase by its very nature is open and welcoming to everyone...

Enterprise, Discovery, and the Kelvin Timeline movies would like to have a word with you regarding being accepted when they first aired.

And Voyager, Deep Space 9, TNG, the TOS films, and TAS.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Rey playing a Tellarite Captain - that would be something pig-2.gif She had to gain a few pounds, tho' pig-15.gif​​

Andorian. She's got a nice musculature build that would look good sprayed blue. She's also the right height and looks permanently angry.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    Andorian. She's got a nice musculature build that would look good sprayed blue. She's also the right height and looks permanently angry.

You are not wrong. But Tellarites are cuter pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »

You are not wrong. But Tellarites are cuter pig-1.gif​​

They're just not blue enough.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    Yes, the rumor is a rumor and so could be nothing at all, but it is firmly based on Disney's characteristic style in handling properties like that. Of course, that is no guarantee that they will continue to use that MO in the future, or even that they will use it on Star Wars even if they continue to do it with other properties.

Walt Disney's son likened the practice to crop rotation: bumper crops have to be carefully monitored for soil damage and set fallow for a time to renew itself at the first sign of that damage (or words to that effect anyway), with the "soil" being projections of viewer interest.

The Mandalorian is not directly part of that, the "closet" practice is for movies, not "trivial" things like film shorts and TV. In fact, they are useful for testing viewer interest, and to use the farming analogy, it is a bit like planting soy or clover in order to put nitrogen back in the soil and test nutrient levels for harvest crops. And interest does tend to wain after a while, then wax again when it moves into nostalgia territory.
  • Options
    What I think will happen honestly is that they might slow down on the movies, in order to give more time for actual quality work, rather than push for a movie every year. Things like that lead to sloppy work, and may have even contributed to the train wreck that was Last Jedi, at least to a degree. That movie was honestly a disgrace, and the guy behind that one did it on purpose. After that Disney was in total damage control mode. Hence how Rise of Skywalker turned out. Wasn't bad, but wasn't amazing either.