test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rattler's Winter Event Tips and Tricks Thread

rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
Its that time of year again folks! Winter has come, and with it the ever popular Winter Event!

And this year it is easier than ever to get progress towards that free ship.

Normally I would start things off with a tip about The Fastest Game on Ice, but I unfortunately misplaced my map that helps illustrate the tip. So this year I'm just gonna open the doors to the Tips and Tricks Cafe and say have at it veteran players! Share your wisdom with everyone!

If anyone wishes to do reviews on any Winter Event items, please do so, and be sure to tag it as a review of said item.

Some music to get the mood set:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-22BUX1UnB4

Thank you for years of tips and tricks, and I'll see you guys in Q's Winter Wonderland!
db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    Winter/Holiday music is appropriate of course, but somehow whenever I'm in Winter Wonderland running tasks for Q this is what runs through my internal sound track:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNBL5OMeuno

Are the old threads not available to link? Looks like any tips for this year will be pretty much the same as previous ones.

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    Are the old threads not available to link? Looks like any tips for this year will be pretty much the same as previous ones.

They're LONG buried by now, and the Mods frown on Necro threads. And old ones might not include any tips from newly added stuff. Better to just start up a new one every year.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,292 Community Moderator
    Stickied
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Let me begin with a simple trick - 'cause I don't have a map for the race, either: do NOT roll on corners, especially if you have the frozen booths active. Instead, jump on the spot - meaning: just press the spacebar (or whatever key you have binded instead of it) without touching any other key, to avoid going forward/backwards and/or strifing. This will make you stop, it's true, and you won't get the slight speed boost you have if you roll, but 9 times out of 10 will guarantee you stop exactly where you want to.
    In turn, this will allow you to better stay on track and you can start running again as soon as you're back on the ground.

And if you simply can't do the race - and there's absolutetly NO SHAME in that! - this year we have the option of choosing something else, so don't get frustrated and go try another activity :D​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    They're LONG buried by now, and the Mods frown on Necro threads. And old ones might not include any tips from newly added stuff. Better to just start up a new one every year.
    The vids are two years old, but still valid AFAIK:
    no stopping full speed runs:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6AP1EBjEtc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTky6-whkk4
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Always deploy a Lt. Tardigrade non-combat pet in the winter wonderland. Besides making yourself feel happier with its irresistible cuteness, it might distract your competitors during the ice race (again with its irresistible cuteness) and cause them to make a mistake.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    Always deploy a Lt. Tardigrade non-combat pet in the winter wonderland. Besides making yourself feel happier with its irresistible cuteness, it might distract your competitors during the ice race (again with its irresistible cuteness) and cause them to make a mistake.

"Stuns Tardigrade before race starts"

There we go, distraction removed :)
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • xungnguyenxungnguyen Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    lol. My primary character would rather race against a wolf instead of a Tardigrade.

Sapph: Alistair and Mysti, get that Tardigrade out of my way.

*Her wolves growl at the Tardigrade causing it to run away in sheer terror.*

Problem solved on my end.
    temporal_lapras__royal_flagship__by_lapry101-dbutq96.png

"Simba, you have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are … you are my son and the one true king." (Mufasa)
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    Winter/Holiday music is appropriate of course, but somehow whenever I'm in Winter Wonderland running tasks for Q this is what runs through my internal sound track:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNBL5OMeuno

I play this for Defera ground battles. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,265 Arc User
    Return Tardigrade to the relm, Distraction removed.
    However, if you do Tides of Ice and you have a combat Tardigrade he can help kill snow borg :).
  • tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    The race isn't as critical now for event points (since we can do any event), but something I found handy while I was learning the event, and occasionally just for amusement, was going to Q and getting turned into different creatures/races before running.

Possibly just my imagination but various critters seemed to have different movement characteristics/speed on the ice. Or it may just have been that the different visuals caused me to control my character's movement more effectively.
    The race isn't as critical now for event points (since we can do any event), but something I found handy while I was learning the event, and occasionally just for amusement, was going to Q and getting turned into different creatures/races before running.

Possibly just my imagination but various critters seemed to have different movement characteristics/speed on the ice. Or it may just have been that the different visuals caused me to control my character's movement more effectively.
    I've often wondered if the movement speed of a character was somehow tied to the run animation used.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    Without running tests, hard to say. Although I think someone once said that a Dividian wasn't as affected by the ice, but its hard to know for sure.
  • zateron#9297 zateron Member Posts: 92 Arc User

Having tried changing characters before races sadly it does NOT improve character performance, but in fact makes it worse. The (section 31 lockbox) faulty holo emitters have also allowed me to test changing characters similar to those transformed by Q with no improvement in performance. Again, if anything it makes character performance harder to control on most all maps.
    Thankfully the race no longer exists as a priority to get the winter ship. The race has been for a long time designed to prevent everyone from being able to get the ship due to the fact that the difficulty level is set tooooo high for some to handle.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The only difficulty the "race" presents is resisting the urge to fall asleep because it's so boring.

But, Easy Mode ahoy, the content they're replacing it with will count as "participated in" even if you do fall asleep halfway through, so there. Standards achieved. :p
    warpangel wrote: »
    The only difficulty the "race" presents is resisting the urge to fall asleep because it's so boring.

But, Easy Mode ahoy, the content they're replacing it with will count as "participated in" even if you do fall asleep halfway through, so there. Standards achieved. :p
    hmmm well, given that people have complained about this for years...

Also I'm wondering what the participation credit threshold is set to...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Having tried changing characters before races sadly it does NOT improve character performance, but in fact makes it worse. The (section 31 lockbox) faulty holo emitters have also allowed me to test changing characters similar to those transformed by Q with no improvement in performance. Again, if anything it makes character performance harder to control on most all maps.

The purpose of getting Q to transform our characters is not to improve character performance, but to make the race interesting. Running as a Sehlat is far more cute and interesting than running as a Captain.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

hmmm well, given that people have complained about this for years...

Also I'm wondering what the participation credit threshold is set to...
    I would expect the same threshold as getting the reward from the activity itself.
    You may find the race boring Warpangel but there is a great many of us who CANT do the race no matter what we try and find it highly annoying and far from boring. I for one are happy they finally recognized that they have been keeping ships from people for too many years and its time to give the rest of us a chance at a winter ship if we choose to want one * WHICH I DO! AND OTHERS I KNOW AS FRIENDS ALSO DO!*
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    here's a tip - for anyone planning mark earning via the PvP race, i have two words;

maquis.

guile.

that is all​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    :: trying to sound like James Cagney ::
    You dirty Rat. Your the one who helps all these people every year.
    :p

Question: If we no longer need to run - Fastest Game on Ice - just to get the ship. What does it offer if you run it for sport?
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.

Question: If we no longer need to run - Fastest Game on Ice - just to get the ship. What does it offer if you run it for sport?
    trinkets. You can get baubles that you trade for items now
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • sukhothaisukhothai Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    1. When did they add that Snow Targ (that is what I'm guessing it is,) to the race?
    2. Is it my imagination or does the Targ get a little of a head start on the race?
    3. And finally, how do I beat a targ that goes faster than sprint? I even have the ice shoes activated.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    Eh? The'res always been a random mob added as your adversary. That's who you have to beat.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    1) I think that "sow targ" has always been there, hard to tell because I kinda stopped paying attention to them.
    2) The mechanics are pretty wonky, any of the ncps can get a head start every now and then.
    3) Just run. By now we have donzens of things that buff run speed, it wasn't exactly hard before but now nobody should have an excuse to actually lose besides getting off track. Which can also easily be prevented by rolling just before it happens.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    The targ's been there for years and years. I think the ice spider is a tougher opponent myself.

Need tips? Look, up in the sky, it's a Sticky Thread! - https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1252389/rattlers-winter-event-tips-and-tricks-thread#latest

Oh, so it the same as all the other activities. Get stuff to trade for other more useful stuff. Got it.

Oh, so it the same as all the other activities. Get stuff to trade for other more useful stuff. Got it.
    Well, my testing seems to show that you get only one trinket, even if on event cooldown. So not a good trinket source.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

Well, my testing seems to show that you get only one trinket, even if on event cooldown. So not a good trinket source.
    So snowball fight instead. Cool, cool, cool.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6E_giLecfM
This discussion has been closed.