test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game stalls at "Cryptic" Title screen.

Launching the game, it goes straight to the black Cryptic screen, then hangs there. Checking Windows monitor it shows "Not Responding"

Running Windows 10 PRo 1903 up to date
GA-78LMT MB version 6.0 all drivers up to date
AMD FX-4300 quad core
8 gig of ram
Geforce GTX 750. Drivers up to date.

I have tried the following

Force Verify
Removing the .hogg files
Having the game rewrite the FXprefs.Pref and the Gameprefs.Pref after I backed them up of course.
-NoAutoRotateLogs added to comment line in loader.

Nvidia Graphics are up to date, along with all other drivers.

I'm at a loss at what else to try.
My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.

Comments

• f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    Forgot to add, I did try re-downloading as well.
  • chyrondave#2737 chyrondave Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    I've been having the same issue since the 11/12 update. The last thing I heard from support was that the graphics drivers for Windows 10 needed to be update, which seemed odd since 1) I checked my drivers and they were up to date and 2) I'm running Windows 8.1.

I personally lost track of how long it's been since I've been able to log in and play.
  • voyagergonoszvoyagergonosz Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Same here. win 8.1 pro intel GPU, cannot login at all. crashes long before character selection.
  • f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    Not sure if it helps, But a gentlemen on Reddit suggested I log in via safe mode. This did seem to work for me, however , it not optimal for me, given I play at 4k . Still 1080 P with over sized interface is still better than nothing.
  • jayfreelancerjayfreelancer Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    f9thretxc wrote: »
    Not sure if it helps, But a gentlemen on Reddit suggested I log in via safe mode. This did seem to work for me, however , it not optimal for me, given I play at 4k .
    Do you have an Alienware monitor by any chance? I was having the same problem today and it turned out to be some fault with the AlienFX lighting that was causing it. I have the AW3418DW.

I'd been battling with the problem all day and after reading a LOT of posts I stumbled across a suggestion that the AlienFX driver might be the problem. I was about to try uninstalling the driver when on a hunch I simply turned my monitor off and on again. I then launched STO and it worked immediately. My guess is something must have been locked up in the monitor hardware, and even a computer restart hadn't helped because of course the monitor had power the whole time.

• lcars1701lcars1701 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    > @jayfreelancer said:
    > (Quote)
    > Do you have an Alienware monitor by any chance? I was having the same problem today and it turned out to be some fault with the AlienFX lighting that was causing it. I have the AW3418DW.
    >
    > I'd been battling with the problem all day and after reading a LOT of posts I stumbled across a suggestion that the AlienFX driver might be the problem. I was about to try uninstalling the driver when on a hunch I simply turned my monitor off and on again. I then launched STO and it worked immediately. My guess is something must have been locked up in the monitor hardware, and even a computer restart hadn't helped because of course the monitor had power the whole time.

This right here, exactly! For days I could get passed this screen. Reloaded multiple times, tried loading on different drives, safe mode, force verify, command line switches, video driver updates, you name it, I tried it. Of all the things turning off and on the monitor is what fixed it. How odd, but thank you.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    f9thretxc wrote: »
    Not sure if it helps, But a gentlemen on Reddit suggested I log in via safe mode. This did seem to work for me, however , it not optimal for me, given I play at 4k .
    Do you have an Alienware monitor by any chance? I was having the same problem today and it turned out to be some fault with the AlienFX lighting that was causing it. I have the AW3418DW.

I'd been battling with the problem all day and after reading a LOT of posts I stumbled across a suggestion that the AlienFX driver might be the problem. I was about to try uninstalling the driver when on a hunch I simply turned my monitor off and on again. I then launched STO and it worked immediately. My guess is something must have been locked up in the monitor hardware, and even a computer restart hadn't helped because of course the monitor had power the whole time.

It's not just Alienware that the problem affects. I'm using an ACER laptop, which had only minimum issues prior to the offending patch(s).

It's now the third of December. No fix. Not even so much an acknowledgement that there is a problem.

After nearly seven years, I think maybe it's time that I move on from STO.