test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek once again has beaten Star Wars.......

jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
The great war maybe finally coming to an end after the recent disasters of Star Wars under Disney/Lucasfilms. Sure Starfleet has seen its share of ups and downs but for the most part we are always growing. Star Trek Discovery ended its Season on a high note (Go Pike) and Star Trek Picard just looks too cool for words. The Conventions are still drawing crowds and yes even Tarantino's rumored Star Trek project is still welcomed news.

In a galaxy far far away however, there is absolutely zero hype for the Rise of Skywalker. The Last Jedi effectively killed off not just Luke Skywalker but Star Wars in general. Now that most of OT characters are either gone via death on screen or death in real life, Star Wars fans didn't get the chance to have a reunion as it were like we do with the TNG cast in the new Picard TV series. The OT characters have also been twisted into a mirror of their former selves for the sake of "diversity." At least 2009's Trek Crew were still themselves besides a few minor changes. The newer characters in Sequel Trilogy are either too op or too boring. Disney's new Galaxy's Edge was a complete flop compared to what was expected and far too expensive to visit. Rian Johnson the man who destroyed Star Wars, rumored to get ANOTHER Trilogy, say what you will about Tarantino but at least he is a well established director with major wins under his belt while Rian Johnson only has indie films and the rotting corpse of a once great franchise.

Rise of Skywalker is projected to bomb because most fans will be staying home out of spite, killing your greatest character ie Luke Skywalker is franchise suicide. Imagine if the TNG writers killed Picard? Just imagine that. Whats the point of TNG without Picard????

Trek is forever.....this just proves it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Can you provide evidence regarding Galaxy's Edge? Last I heard, they actually did pretty well on day one, basically selling out and being packed to capacity almost instantly. Only downside I heard about so far was that the Thermal Det shaped Coke bottles were banned on flights.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    jake477 wrote: »
    Star Trek Discovery ended its Season on a high note (Go Pike) and Star Trek Picard just looks too cool for words.

Pike finally receiving a personality (a likeable one on top of that) sure was a highlight of S2, but the end of S2 was rather a lowpoint for both Pike and the show.

The Picard-Trailer. Lack of words, true - but probably for different reasons than being "too cool" for them. It's looking too much like Renegades with bigger budget.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    Star Trek Discovery ended its Season on a high note (Go Pike) and Star Trek Picard just looks too cool for words.

Pike finally receiving a personality (a likeable one on top of that) sure was a highlight of S2, but the end of S2 was rather a lowpoint for both Pike and the show.

The Picard-Trailer. Lack of words, true - but probably for different reasons than being "too cool" for them. It's looking too much like Renegades with bigger budget.

I liked Renegades.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    The Mandalorian , The Obi-Wan Kenobi television show , Untitled Cassian Andor series , Star Wars: The Clone Wars (February 2020) , The Game of Thrones creators’ series (2022) , Rian Johnson’s spinoff trilogy , Star Wars: Resistance ...

star wars is like apple. star trek , microsoft
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    No actual evidence to support this bashing of star wars. Nothing at all.

Aside from the fact that many Star Wars fans didn't bother seeing Solo due to how bad they thought The Last Jedi was. The Last Jedi has a worse Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes than every single Star Wars live action prequel movie. The animated Clone Wars movie has the worst Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes for Star Wars movies.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

Aside from the fact that many Star Wars fans didn't bother seeing Solo due to how bad they thought The Last Jedi was. The Last Jedi has a worse Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes than every single Star Wars live action prequel movie. The animated Clone Wars movie has the worst Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes for Star Wars movies.

The Last Jedi made over a Billion dollars, Solo didn't flop either, it has a profitable ROI. Rotten Tomatoes is irrelevant to everything, their scores should not matter to anyone and are subject to more manipulation than wikipedia articles, and are thus worse than meaningless.

Those facts aside. In my opinion those who have a problem with TLJ are wrong (and unaware that the first draft of Return of the Jedi had Luke become Darth Vader), those who have a problem with Solo are wrong. I will not indulge them any further than that, and that is as nice as I will ever be to them.

Which is why I mentioned Rotten Tomatoes' Audience Score and not their Tomatometer score. There are more people that dislike The Last Jedi than those who like it. Each fan that is turned off by an awful movie in a series means that the movie company generates less money in future movies in the series.

My main problem with The Last Jedi was that most of it was too boring. Aside from a few scenes in The Last Jedi, Star Trek: The Motion Picture was more exciting. Turning Luke Skywalker into a Sith Lord would have been far better than what he got in The Last Jedi.

As far as calling people who dislike a movie wrong is ignoring the problems that a movie has. Solo is far better than The Last Jedi and far too many people won't watch Solo because of how bad The Last Jedi was.
  • Options
    thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    Well the thing about starwars and Jedi is they can come back as Force Ghosts. I'm sure he will have a role in the next film. Maybe a more important role then the last one maybe. I've not seen the last jedi I want to though. I've watched the force awakens as I bought the movie but I've not been able to get the last jedi yet. Just because some might not like something doesn't mean others don't like it.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User

The Last Jedi made over a Billion dollars, Solo didn't flop either, it has a profitable ROI. Rotten Tomatoes is irrelevant to everything, their scores should not matter to anyone and are subject to more manipulation than wikipedia articles, and are thus worse than meaningless.

Those facts aside. In my opinion those who have a problem with TLJ are wrong (and unaware that the first draft of Return of the Jedi had Luke become Darth Vader), those who have a problem with Solo are wrong. I will not indulge them any further than that, and that is as nice as I will ever be to them.

Which is why I mentioned Rotten Tomatoes' Audience Score and not their Tomatometer score. There are more people that dislike The Last Jedi than those who like it. Each fan that is turned off by an awful movie in a series means that the movie company generates less money in future movies in the series.

My main problem with The Last Jedi was that most of it was too boring. Aside from a few scenes in The Last Jedi, Star Trek: The Motion Picture was more exciting. Turning Luke Skywalker into a Sith Lord would have been far better than what he got in The Last Jedi.

As far as calling people who dislike a movie wrong is ignoring the problems that a movie has. Solo is far better than The Last Jedi and far too many people won't watch Solo because of how bad The Last Jedi was.
    I quite disagree with you on this, stark. I found TLJ to be very intriguing; the lingering question I was left with was why Poe was permitted to live after committing mutiny twice, with his first offense costing the Resistance all their bombers and most of their fighters (in order to destroy a ship the First Order replaced almost immediately), and the second one very nearly leading to the extinction of the Resistance altogether.

Solo was entertaining, although IMO unnecessary (I really didn't need to know how the band first got together, or the story of why Han might have feared seeing Lando again). It certainly didn't compare in either scope or interest to TLJ, in my eyes.

And most of the fan (or, more often, fanboy) badmouthing of TLJ that I've seen, when reasons are given at all for disliking it, tend to boil down to being mad that Luke isn't some kind of badass warrior solving every problem by killing it with his lightsaber (which betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of what exactly the Jedi Order was supposed to represent, at least according to Yoda's lectures in TESB - speaking of slow movies without much action), or almost as often the weird idea that girls can't be Jedi masters (like she's any less likely a Jedi master than some farmboy from a waste-world out in the Outer Rim territories, or a kid sweeping up a stable on a resort planet somewhere).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

I quite disagree with you on this, stark. I found TLJ to be very intriguing; the lingering question I was left with was why Poe was permitted to live after committing mutiny twice, with his first offense costing the Resistance all their bombers and most of their fighters (in order to destroy a ship the First Order replaced almost immediately), and the second one very nearly leading to the extinction of the Resistance altogether.

Solo was entertaining, although IMO unnecessary (I really didn't need to know how the band first got together, or the story of why Han might have feared seeing Lando again). It certainly didn't compare in either scope or interest to TLJ, in my eyes.

And most of the fan (or, more often, fanboy) badmouthing of TLJ that I've seen, when reasons are given at all for disliking it, tend to boil down to being mad that Luke isn't some kind of badass warrior solving every problem by killing it with his lightsaber (which betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of what exactly the Jedi Order was supposed to represent, at least according to Yoda's lectures in TESB - speaking of slow movies without much action), or almost as often the weird idea that girls can't be Jedi masters (like she's any less likely a Jedi master than some farmboy from a waste-world out in the Outer Rim territories, or a kid sweeping up a stable on a resort planet somewhere).

TLJ left a bitter taste to be honest for me, it was too long and there was a lot of filler content. It had the potential but it fell flat on it's face. I'll be giving Rise of Skywalker a miss to be honest.
    I'm going to say it but TLJ is worse than Attack of the Clones. Attack of the Clones was a really bad Star Wars movie.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
      I like both Star Trek and Star Wars.

Have we become so jaded? Has being a cynic and negative about everything become the new normal? This forum is supporting a game based upon a TV and film series where hope was found in abundance. Where people being different from one another was something to be celebrated rather than looked down upon. Where the future was expected to be brighter and better. Not full of the same old suspicions and mistrusts and half truths.

Are Star Trek fans now required to despise everything Star Wars? Further, are we required to publicly display this disdain often and proudly? If so, then clearly the Star Trek fanbase has taken a disgusting turn for the worse.
      A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    • Options
      majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 227 Arc User

That IS a good question Jon. Even considering him taking out Starkiller base and the eventual 'success' in taking out the FO dreadnaught, he should have been slapped in irons after his mutiny if not airlocked. I'm assuming that he wasn't the first time as he was disobeying an order while the second he actually relieved a superior officer. If I were General Organa, I'd also have the procurement/acquisition officer in irons as well for procuring those bombers. Talk about flying death traps.

My issue with TLJ and Luke's portrayal isn't so much that he was great hero who became disgruntled and jaded. I find that perfectly plausible but my problem is there seemed to be only lip service (storywise) as to how he got there. It would have made it easier to accept if we got a bit more than his confrontation with Kylo in the flashback scene. Something also showing his growing unease with the Jedi teachings he discovered. Something that culminated in his confrontation which would cause him to finally throw in the towel.

I also think the problem with Rey isn't so much that she is a female force user or master. Star Wars has well established that female jedi masters are a thing. The problem is (at least with what is shown on screen) is that she uses it almost effortlessly while the farmboy at least had a few training scenes Yoda. All of it coming together a few days after we see her scavenging and scrubbing parts on Jakku. If Rey has any real faults, based on what's shown is that she's almost insufferably naive. She really has no other character flaws other than that. I have other gripes with TLJ but they're minor and not worth derailing the thread over.

As for the future of Star Wars, I'm hopeful that D & D can come up with something good despite my disappointment GoT season 8 ending. If RUMINT is accurate and its set in the Old Republic, then there is plenty of good source material that might make for some great stories for the big screen. The Mandalorian trailer also peaked my interest so I might be signing up for Disney. On the ST front, Picard has me very excited about that series though my bias toward the Romulans is probably a driving factor. :p All in all I hope the 'war' IS over and both franchises can coexist and prosper going forward. My two ec.
      ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
      Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
      S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
      T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
      Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
      Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
      Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
      Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
      Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
      Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
      Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
    • Options
      redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
      edited September 2019
      All in all I hope the 'war' IS over and both franchises can coexist and prosper going forward. My two ec.

You mean the war between children and manchildren saying "my stuff is better than yours". Ok. Every fanbase has those, but that doesn't mean there's actual competition.

Fun fact. I laughed when I heard that some trekkies went into 'the Phantom Menace', dressed in TNG-uniforms and stating they're "just keeping an eye out for the competition" back in the day.

SW and ST just don't have anything in common (that did change a bit after ST2009, but not by much), aside parts of both playing in space.
    • Options
      majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 227 Arc User
      All in all I hope the 'war' IS over and both franchises can coexist and prosper going forward. My two ec.

You mean the war between children and manchildren saying "my stuff is better than yours". Ok. Every fanbase has those, but that doesn't mean there's actual competition.

Fun fact. I laughed when I heard that some trekkies went into 'the Phantom Menace', dressed in TNG-uniforms and stating they're "just keeping an eye out for the competition" back in the day.

SW and ST just don't have anything in common (that did change a bit after ST2009, but not by much), aside parts of both playing in space.

Yeah. I always thought the 'competition' was a bit silly. While I do consider myself more of an ST than SW fan, I do enjoy and can be critical of both.
      ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
      Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
      S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
      T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
      Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
      Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
      Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
      Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
      Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
      Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
      Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
    • Options
      mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

I guess the dumb phone joke in the beginning and the ridicilouslness of the resulting fight already predisposed me against the movie.

I don't have a problem with Luke not beign a badass lightsaber swinger in TLJ . Though actually he was even better than that, he was able to project a convincing facsimile of himself to fool Kylo Ren and fighting in a baddass lightsaber battle.

No, I had a problem - that was already set up in TFA - with Luke abandoning his family and friends and hiding himself away for decades. That just doesn't seem to fit anything we know and have seen about Luke, and his sudden character change happened essentially off-screen and was unearned.

The whole Canto subplot also seemed rather silly and feels like it just repeated character development that we had already seen, but the characters cheering about having saved a few alien horses that could easily be caught again in the next few hours while the enslaved children are still enslaved. Can't see how that was worth much, both for the characters or the viewers. The whole "there is just one hacker that might do it, but hey, the guy that we found in this cell can do it just as well, except he betrays" also felt like it was all too convenient for the plot (not neccessarily the characters.)

I guess I could accept the serious flaws of the prequels a bit better than the flaws of the sequels - the prequels don't invalidate the story of the original trilogy, but the sequels (starting with TFA) basically destroyed the entire "happily ever after" the originals suggested. Off-Screen, Han and Leia's relationship falls apart, Luke turns into an uncaring hermit, and the Empire basically just got renamed.
      Aftermath-Stories like that work fairly well for "normal" fairy tales - So maybe kissing a sleeping princess and immediately marrying her is not a solid foundation for a happy marriage or a stable country. But the beauty is - it's just one possible story that will be told. But Star Wars isn't a normal fairy tale, it's heavily trademarked. Only Disney can continue the story, and if they do it badly, we're stuck with it.

---

All that said, I don't think Star Wars or was beaten by Star Trek. I am fairly certain that the next movie will be quite succesful. People still want to know how it turns out. And Disney's streaming offerings will also attract crowds (including me). Maybe the "Grand Saga" part wasn't what people hoped it to be (but maybe even that will be turned around in IX if the movie is enjoyable enough and ends that story), but the setting offers still plenty of attractive trappings. It might even be more flexibe overall then Star Trek has been so far.
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    • Options
      ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
      I like both Star Trek and Star Wars.

Have we become so jaded? Has being a cynic and negative about everything become the new normal? This forum is supporting a game based upon a TV and film series where hope was found in abundance. Where people being different from one another was something to be celebrated rather than looked down upon. Where the future was expected to be brighter and better. Not full of the same old suspicions and mistrusts and half truths.

Are Star Trek fans now required to despise everything Star Wars? Further, are we required to publicly display this disdain often and proudly? If so, then clearly the Star Trek fanbase has taken a disgusting turn for the worse.

The Star Trek fanbase have never practiced what they preach. This is the fanbase which raged over a 10-second scene showing Sulu with his boyfriend in Beyond and another homosexual couple in Disco. The 'broad church' Star Trek fans are a minority of those who are actually active on forums like this.

Or, TLDR, this fanbase has more 'Gatekeepers' and 'True Scotsmen' than England has garden gates.
    • Options
      rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
      I guess the dumb phone joke in the beginning and the ridicilouslness of the resulting fight already predisposed me against the movie.

I actually liked the phone joke.
      What irritated me about TLJ was some of the stupid things like the Admiral basically throwing fuel onto a fire. She somewhat redeems herself in the end, but for most of the movie I just felt she was a stuck up "mother knows best" type.
      Also... arcing turbolasers? Wut?
      And... they SOOOO missed an opprotunity to bring in Lando. Instead we got that slicer who turned out to be working for the First Order.
      Finally... for an organization that was operating with limited resources... they sure grew quickly, I mean EXPLOSIVELY quickly, after TFA. Going from hostile fringe element to dominating the galaxy in the span of... what? one hour? Hell... the whole concept of the Republic not even considering them a threat if the First Order has THAT MUCH military hardware... is stupid! NO government would just flat out ignore a radical group like that that has basically declared their intentions to destroy you.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • Options
      jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
      coldnapalm wrote: »

So...you are wrong for having an OPINION that does not meet with your approval. Yeah no. I thought Solo was a good popcorn flick. I enjoyed it while munching on some delicious buttery popcorn...but if you ask me any details about it...hell if I know beyond it had pretty lights. TLJ on the otherhand...yeah I remember that flaming garbage just fine...but for all the wrong reasons. I may watch the side movies...but the main line is dead to me.
      Oh and Rian's trilogy can burn for all I care. You couldn't pay me to watch it. And quite frankly Luke as Vader would have been pretty awesome. The first draft also had no ewoks...so yeah...I'll take that please.

I couldn't agree more, Cold. I liked Solo enough, less than Rogue One but way more than bot TFA and TLJ (I actually can't decide which one made me gag more, but I'll get there... in a couple of decades, probably). Do I go around telling people they're wrong because they liked both of them? Nope. Do I consider my opinion the only right one? Nope.
      I guess it's too much to ask, on a TRIBBLE FORUM, to have a discussion without people saying "I'm right and you're wrong, and that's that". I guess it's too much to ask, on a TRIBBLE FORUM, to talk about something. Yeah, after all that's not what they were created for! Oh, wait...​​
      kv1Ohsx.png
      Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
      - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
      - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
      - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
      Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    • Options
      thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
      edited September 2019
      ryan218 wrote: »
      The Star Trek fanbase have never practiced what they preach. This is the fanbase which raged over a 10-second scene showing Sulu with his boyfriend in Beyond and another homosexual couple in Disco. The 'broad church' Star Trek fans are a minority of those who are actually active on forums like this.

Or, TLDR, this fanbase has more 'Gatekeepers' and 'True Scotsmen' than England has garden gates.

Not ALL of the Star Trek fanbase is as you've depicted. I'm not. And these forums probably represent a small percentage of the total fanbase. There seems to be more 'Gatekeepers' and 'True Scotsman' then there probably is. Because they are so damnably noisy all the time. They substitute volume for logic and reason. Shout something stupid loud enough long enough and other stupid people will gather towards the shouter. The problem is the negative part of the fanbase gets far more attention paid to it than it needs or deserves. Starve it of the attention it craves like an opioid, and it will wither and rot. As it should.

TL;DR - Once again, the best advice is to stop feeding the trolls. Easy to say and preach to others. Very hard to actually do.
      A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    • Options
      crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
      The great war maybe finally coming to an end after the recent disasters of Star Wars under Disney/Lucasfilms. Sure Starfleet has seen its share of ups and downs but for the most part we are always growing. Star Trek Discovery ended its Season on a high note (Go Pike) and Star Trek Picard just looks too cool for words. The Conventions are still drawing crowds and yes even Tarantino's rumored Star Trek project is still welcomed news.

In a galaxy far far away however, there is absolutely zero hype for the Rise of Skywalker. The Last Jedi effectively killed off not just Luke Skywalker but Star Wars in general. Now that most of OT characters are either gone via death on screen or death in real life, Star Wars fans didn't get the chance to have a reunion as it were like we do with the TNG cast in the new Picard TV series. The OT characters have also been twisted into a mirror of their former selves for the sake of "diversity." At least 2009's Trek Crew were still themselves besides a few minor changes. The newer characters in Sequel Trilogy are either too op or too boring. Disney's new Galaxy's Edge was a complete flop compared to what was expected and far too expensive to visit. Rian Johnson the man who destroyed Star Wars, rumored to get ANOTHER Trilogy, say what you will about Tarantino but at least he is a well established director with major wins under his belt while Rian Johnson only has indie films and the rotting corpse of a once great franchise.

Rise of Skywalker is projected to bomb because most fans will be staying home out of spite, killing your greatest character ie Luke Skywalker is franchise suicide. Imagine if the TNG writers killed Picard? Just imagine that. Whats the point of TNG without Picard????

Trek is forever.....this just proves it.

Put down the pipe...whatever it has in it, it's NOT tobacco. ;)
      Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
      TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
      PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."