test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Recent Ship Changes - Uniform Question

captainrebel78#5049 captainrebel78 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
With the recent changes regarding Federation and Klingon toon being able to fly Romulan ships without being a Romulan: I was wondering why Romulan toons that were Federation Allied never allowed to wear a Federation Uniform or be able to access uniforms worn by Federation characters. I would seem that since Romulan toons are more or less absorbed at this point: wouldn't it make sense to allow those character full access to the uniforms of their allied faction?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    Because Romulans are not Starfleet Officers.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • captainrebel78#5049 captainrebel78 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Neither are Romulan KDF Allied; but, Romulan toons can still wear KDF outfits. My Romulan KDF Allied toon is currently wearing the KDF Veteran Uniform.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    Neither are Romulan KDF Allied; but, Romulan toons can still wear KDF outfits. My Romulan KDF Allied toon is currently wearing the KDF Veteran Uniform.

Romulans get a few, seemingly random, KDF uniform pieces, based on the gender of the character. Neither gets even one full KDF uniform.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The arbitrary clothes restrictions have never made one lick of sense to begin with. These outfits are restricted, those are not, others are kinda half-and-half, something by "faction," something by race, by category, this can be worn by boffs, that can't...etc. It's one giant mess with no rhyme or reason. :disappointed:

Although it has been suggested that at least the Starfleet uniform bit is based on some kind of CBS commandment.
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Starfleet uniforms are restricted to Starfleet Officers.

Starfleet ships are not restricted to Starfleet Officers, example. Kira of the Bajoran Militia could be in command of the U.S.S. Defiant as part of joint operations. But she cannot wear a Starfleet uniform, because she is a member of the Bajoran Militia. (Yes, I know she wore one in one episode.. But there was a special reason behind it.)

Worf still had to wear his Starfleet uniform when assigned to Klingon warships prior the to the civil war. He only changed to a Klingon uniform after resigning from Starfleet.

Commander Riker when assigned to a Klingon ship still had to wear his Starfleet Uniform, and the Klingon Commander assigned to the Enterprise-D had to wear his Klingon uniform even when taking on the role of a Commander in Starfleet during the Officer exchange program.

So yeah, uniform restrictions apply a lot. Even though ship and equipment move around quite a lot.
    edited August 2019

Starfleet ships are not restricted to Starfleet Officers, example. Kira of the Bajoran Militia could be in command of the U.S.S. Defiant as part of joint operations. But she cannot wear a Starfleet uniform, because she is a member of the Bajoran Militia. (Yes, I know she wore one in one episode.. But there was a special reason behind it.)

Worf still had to wear his Starfleet uniform when assigned to Klingon warships prior the to the civil war. He only changed to a Klingon uniform after resigning from Starfleet.

Commander Riker when assigned to a Klingon ship still had to wear his Starfleet Uniform, and the Klingon Commander assigned to the Enterprise-D had to wear his Klingon uniform even when taking on the role of a Commander in Starfleet during the Officer exchange program.

So yeah, uniform restrictions apply a lot. Even though ship and equipment move around quite a lot.
    Except no, uniform restrictions don't apply "a lot." Not in STO. Nobody has to wear a Starfleet uniform anywhere in STO. Or a klingon or romulan uniform. You can totally wear the uniforms of a bazillion organizations you are not a member of. Or no uniform at all. Just wear your pajamas on duty, nobody cares.

Uniform restrictions apply sometimes, maybe, a bit here and a bit there. And that's why they're complete nonsense.
  • There is also an issue where Alien toons that are KDF allied have more options as far as various pieces from various races. An example would be the Host spots on the head. On Alien KDF toons: that spots are available on the chest; but, not the legs. On Federation Alien toons: it is limited to the face only. It just seems that you could be able to create a toon the way you want as far as "basic features" (uniform aside) without such restrictions. Not to bring possible canon issues into the forum: had Jadzia survived in DS9.... Well... We will never know....
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    Well now we can wear starfleet and kdf uniforms as a romulan. So at least those are gone.
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    So in keeping with ship changes and reflections in uniforms. How about a "ship"s uniform" slot fot every ship? So all the random crew are dressed right.

Now that's a good idea.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    So in keeping with ship changes and reflections in uniforms. How about a "ship"s uniform" slot fot every ship? So all the random crew are dressed right.

That would be great, especially for theme ships that aren't stock faction ships. Mercenary or privateer, Ferengi, mirror universe defector, TOS or Discovery transplanted, =your own fanfic goes here=, whatever.

I'd pay zen to unlock this, especially if it included lobi outfits labeled as "off duty" for no good reason like Tholian robes.

• thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User

That would be great, especially for theme ships that aren't stock faction ships. Mercenary or privateer, Ferengi, mirror universe defector, TOS or Discovery transplanted, =your own fanfic goes here=, whatever.

I'd pay zen to unlock this, especially if it included lobi outfits labeled as "off duty" for no good reason like Tholian robes.

That would take a lot of programing there is a reason why this is only for bridge officers. Its not worth the effort or the time to make it plausable for the crew of a starship. So just stuck with messing with your bridge officers. But it would be cool if it could be done though.
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    I would looooooove this! But the trend away from all things bridge-related suggests that there's not any interest in doing this.
    Would be a waste to have one for every ship, since only the ones that use default Fed/KDF bridges even have any random crew.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Yes, I went into my Tuffli the other day and in the past where certain NPCs would be specific Boffs from my crew, except for two, they'd all been replaced with generic NPCs sporting the default Oddysey Outfit.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

Except no, uniform restrictions don't apply "a lot." Not in STO. Nobody has to wear a Starfleet uniform anywhere in STO. Or a klingon or romulan uniform. You can totally wear the uniforms of a bazillion organizations you are not a member of. Or no uniform at all. Just wear your pajamas on duty, nobody cares.

Uniform restrictions apply sometimes, maybe, a bit here and a bit there. And that's why they're complete nonsense.

True, just take a look at TMP were everyone wore pajamas on duty...
This discussion has been closed.