test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] New Ways to Play Patrols!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
Awakening brings with it five new Patrols - and we're giving you a new way to play those Patrols and some of your favorites from the past!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11240293

Comments

• Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    "No need to fly around sector space hunting for the right place—the new interface will take you there immediately"
    Does this mean we won't be able to access them if we fly there? 'Cause, personally, that's part of the fun...​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    Does this mean we won't be able to access them if we fly there? 'Cause, personally, that's part of the fun...​​
    If I recall correctly, this question was addressed in last week's Ten-Forward. Specifically, this addition to the TFO menu is an alternative to, instead of a replacement for, flying out there yourself... and indeed, systems with patrols would be marked on the maps. And in general you often want to be cruising through sector space anyway, for doff assignments... which aspect of the game I understand is long overdue for some review given how it was affected by the changes to the quadrant maps.
  • Options
    Does this mean we won't be able to access them if we fly there? 'Cause, personally, that's part of the fun...
    If I recall correctly, this question was addressed in last week's Ten-Forward. Specifically, this addition to the TFO menu is an alternative to, instead of a replacement for, flying out there yourself... and indeed, systems with patrols would be marked on the maps. And in general you often want to be cruising through sector space anyway, for doff assignments... which aspect of the game I understand is long overdue for some review given how it was affected by the changes to the quadrant maps.

Thank you very much! I missed the TFW - completely forgot about it, actually - so I was not aware of this.
    Having the systems marked on the Galaxy Map(s) would be even more useful - especially for new players.
    Also, agreed on the DOFFs assignments. A revamp it's long overdue, imho.​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    "No need to fly around sector space hunting for the right place—the new interface will take you there immediately"

Most likely part of this was the issue of resolving patrol problems that have been problematic because of that and the fact that the only one people actually played was argala lol. Also just to give an example of one kind of patrol that has always been a staple of the KDF and its dilithium preference in the past the pi canis patrols only for KDF that have been in a season 2 state for 10+ seasons of the game. Literally there has been so much in the way of how people refer to power creep compared to season 2 or 3 that if you use a projectile you can destroy a freighter which will fail the mission and you have to be extremely careful as well to the point with energy weapons that will destroy them too. As well one last item on that is the kind of content players want besides how TFO's work either fell towards patrols or the foundry and there had been so many bugs and glitches with patrols that it made it incredibly hard to trust players not to abuse that in terms of granting rewards and then limitations of the foundry and the same abusive history people have used the foundry for it could not help the situation no matter what Cryptic did to try to improve it.

So in the end being able to just focus everything on the patrols and how they work imo is how this all came to be. Also though if you look at the game since the new EP started but everything seems to be taking a different direction in the past where I am guessing a lot of this is from his viewpoint and then some of it being things that the STO team were already in the process of doing. Which ever it may be though things that devs and players were too attached to doing what was needed to be done is now happening. Plus an added bonus to this is that with the ability for the focus of how content is made they can begin adding things like patrols that benefit the use of raiders more where in TFO's they can be used but their functions are not efficiently being used especially where you are basically attacking stationary targets most of the time it limits the use of the speed of raiders. On final note I am hoping one of the patrols is something like the way the KDF story missions went where they actually feel like raids something rare with STO content.
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I'm glad that this will include adding to Starship Mastery progression. With so many ships available at the T6 level (with more to come in terms of promoting older ships), as well as different ways of earning them for your character/account), it's nice to be able to cut some grinding from the game.

Esp. when real life happens, or you have multiple characters on your account.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    I don't understand the point of this to be honest.
    It reduces the gameplay to just sitting around 90% of the time to wait until the next queue is ready or transwarping to the next mission or TFO.
    Not that it would matter to me anyways, i will still fly to the according system to do a mission, but i feel that i will reduce the game quality for many ppl. drastically, just for the sake of superficial convenience. Which is sad actually, because sector space is really nicely made, but highly underused tbh.

If i had to say anything, i would have gone the opposite route and added much more random encounters, like space phaenomena missions or other typical Star Trek things all over sector space, just for the fun of it.

But i understand that ppl. just want to do TFO (or patrols) to get some desired marks asap without any distraction.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    From what information Cryptic has released so far & from what that 10FW stream discussed it sounds like they have planned this out pretty well. I still expect a glitch or two, but I'm looking forward to enjoying this new opportunity in playing STO when I just want to play a short while or something.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Love it!, i makes my already limited time to play more efficient!!.. thank you!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    aricamarajade#4600 aricamarajade Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Star Trek Online: To boldly skip space travel, to click and start a new TFO, to boldly give Argala patrol 30 min cooldown.

Instead of numbing down anything space travel or all to dumb clickies, invest your time in to actually let people play the game. Players can allready transwarp to quest starts, you hid the old arcs away from the story arcs. Instead of hiding stuff and fixing it with even less exploring the maps so (new) players can learn more about the game, add some updates to such maps,

I know it's a genious design to current gameplay: do admirality, refine dil, see what endevours you need and open TFO screen, because people flying to a patrol will sell less Keys!

But it is good, that your aproach is to let people spend less time ingame.
  • Options
    wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    Has there been any word on whether there will still be a cooldown on the patrols?
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Has there been any word on whether there will still be a cooldown on the patrols?

yes, there will be a cooldown for each one, so people don't just spam the fastest one.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    a good way to avoid tfo's for marks and doing something different. if you could make also ground patrols, that would be very cool :)
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    marks doing this? wont this just kill ques again? this is red alert v2? wish they would just say how many patrols I will need to do to go from 0 to full ship mastery. that's all I care about.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    in some way, queues are already dead, if you push the bottom random, you have 80% chance of having a borg tfo, stb1, or pahvo dissension. the other tfos never spawn. btw, the marks reward will be small, so the tfos won't be killed.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    marks doing this? wont this just kill ques again? this is red alert v2? wish they would just say how many patrols I will need to do to go from 0 to full ship mastery. that's all I care about.
    depends on how many you get, if it's all of 5 marks without the daily like the romulan portals it'll be fine. the queues are dead 3 times over at this point so being killed again really doesn't hurt.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Patrols give you 10 Marks now.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I'm interested to see how the new patrol system works out. I'll admit that I was disappointed with a dev response on reddit stating that it's unlikely we'll see mixed space/ground patrols due to the fact that they want to avoid map changes within the patrol system. I feel that having both a space and ground portion adds to the feeling of "immersion." I know it's lame to use that word but an immersive feeling is still fun. And that feeling is broken with the arcade like presentation and feel of 100% space action all the time. And the fact that so many aspects of the game allow you to bypass actually experiencing the map through fast travel. Oh well, we'll see how it works out.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I'm pretty excited for this! I love running around on patrols, and finding all of the old Klingon War system patrols was a fun time for me. Plus, I'm VERY happy to have more types of solo content being added in!

This is possibly my favourite bit of news so far, though I hope the rewards are at least a little better than extra xp.
  • Options
    allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User

Indeed. What they're doing is unneeded and a waste of resources.
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    Two questions:

1. Do we have a date for when these changes are coming?

2. What's happening with the old patrols?
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Slipstream to the Exploration Clusters to Support further efforts, travel to existing Patrols to do your Endeavors, Tour the Galaxy, go to Nakura, Doff Assignments...
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    lexers615#4253 lexers615 Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    Okay, but what about those who dislike the MMO aspect of the game? I like missioning, doing my thing, caring about my toons, and when I feel social, I got a Fleet for that. I'm sick of being forced to run things with other players (read: being forced to carry for leeches that simply get in the queue and won't raise a finger, and worst, won't ever get banned no matter how many reports you file).

This change is yet another treat given to the masses of leeches that will now be able to cash in further on the work of others!
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I'm sick of being forced to run things with other players
    Where did you get the idea that you have to do these patrols with other players when nothing in the blog says so, and when the devs have already confirmed that they are playable by yourself?
    Then you clearly haven't read it to begin with... Here's the link: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11240293

"Simply click on the PVE Operations button, select the Patrols panel, and you can see a list of the new patrols and launch to any one that you want to play."
    PVE queue, that's the former name for TFO's. You know, what you click to band up with fellow players to form Task Force, fingers crossed to have more live players than AFK bots and leeches.

"You can launch into a patrol by yourself with no delay, or team up with friends and go as a group."
    It means that patrols will be designed to be ran by a typical 5 player Task Force though you'll be able to try to run it alone, with the exception that you'll have to face the whole freaking enemy armada by yourself. In other words, unless you have one of those super high-end DPS build, you'll be wasting your time trying it alone so you'll have to wait to form a Task Force and run the patrols with leeches.

"Once you finish, you’ll return to wherever you left off."
    Just like other TFO's.

"Patrols will give you skill points, dilithium ore, and a small number of Marks of your choice upon completion."
    Those last two goodies are leech magnets.

In other words, the TFO menu will be added a third tab for Patrols which will be just like small TFO's with the option to try to run it alone.
  • Options
    I'm sick of being forced to run things with other players
    Where did you get the idea that you have to do these patrols with other players when nothing in the blog says so, and when the devs have already confirmed that they are playable by yourself?
    Then you clearly haven't read it to begin with... Here's the link: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11240293

"Simply click on the PVE Operations button, select the Patrols panel, and you can see a list of the new patrols and launch to any one that you want to play."
    PVE queue, that's the former name for TFO's. You know, what you click to band up with fellow players to form Task Force, fingers crossed to have more live players than AFK bots and leeches.

The Patrol missions - as stated above - will still be accessible by the Galaxy Map, and will be queueable alone, so you'll still be able to run them all by yourself, if you want.
    "You can launch into a patrol by yourself with no delay, or team up with friends and go as a group."
    It means that patrols will be designed to be ran by a typical 5 player Task Force though you'll be able to try to run it alone, with the exception that you'll have to face the whole freaking enemy armada by yourself. In other words, unless you have one of those super high-end DPS build, you'll be wasting your time trying it alone so you'll have to wait to form a Task Force and run the patrols with leeches.

Again, and you quoted it yourself, you will be able to run them alone if you choose. Just because something can be run in a group it does not mean that it will necessary to run it in a group to complete it. Otherwise, those missions that can be run together with others will never get completed. And that's not the case.
    "Once you finish, you’ll return to wherever you left off."
    Just like other TFO's.

"Patrols will give you skill points, dilithium ore, and a small number of Marks of your choice upon completion."
    Those last two goodies are leech magnets.

In other words, the TFO menu will be added a third tab for Patrols which will be just like small TFO's with the option to try to run it alone.

You said yourself: "with the option to [try] to run it alone".
    There will be no try. It will still be possible to complete it alone.

Seriously, I may not agree with this new system - in fact, I will continue to fly there because that's part of the fun, and it will allow me to pick up DOFFs assignments along the way - but there's not need to jump the gun like this.
    No one is forcing you or anyone else to play together with other people, to suffer through "leeches".

Also, they already award skill points, dilithium and Marks - just as they count toward Mastery progression - so that's nothing new.

What's the problem with giving someone with not that much time the option of simply queueing from the TFO tab and go there directly?​​
    kv1Ohsx.png

• Options
    edited August 2019
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    I'm glad to see that we'll still be able to launch and enter patrols from the sector space map.

Adding a menu is a great improvement though.

I would like to suggest not to lock too many of these patrols behind episodes. My idea of patrol missions is that they should be easily accessible at all times. The new menu will greatly help with that, but only if there aren't too many level requirements or episodes that a player needs to have completed first.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.