test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Starbase 234 – Rebuilt and Reborn!

hallek420staymad#8999 hallek420staymad Member Posts: 93 Arc User
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11237543

Coming soon to Star Trek Online’s Tribble Test Server is an all new space map to test your skills in space combat!

Now this looks pretty cool...
qaAuoh7.gif
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    A more detailed explanation of this 'bunch of things' would be welcome... many players, I imagine, are suspicious of such vagueness, but that is a conversation for elsewhere. More relevant would be how readily this could be adapted to a ground training environment - ships may take the glory, but when it comes to taking the real estate there is no substitute for the proverbial boots on the ground - which may be more difficult if the test has to include a captain's away team (but not too much so, given that the planned environment has to take into account carried craft and the various summons.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    I've been suggesting/asking for something like this for quite a while now, though for Holodeck. This would allow you to fine tune your build much easier and while I'm not a "DPS" person I do like to have my builds be as good as they can be within the limits I set for them.

That said I would also love to see a ground version at some point but I'm in no hurry, hell at moment we don't even know if this will ever come to live servers (sure there's plans to do so but no timetable).
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    I'm down for this! Must've been hell to code, given we have nothing like it in-game yet. But it's a really cool QoL update.

I'll be really interested to try it out!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Awesome. :)
    Another good addition to the game.

Some added info from Reddit.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/cuv5r7/test_your_ship_builds_on_tribble/exzn3uh/
    We hope this can eventually appear on both Holodeck and Console shards, but we have a bunch of things that would need to get straightened out before that can happen. For now, we're content to let it live on Tribble only for the time being. Despite our interest in having it do so, there is currently no timeline for if/when it could make the jump to Live. ~ Borticus-Cryptic
    They'd at least have to figure something out to prevent it from becoming a one-stop-shop for doing all the Endeavors, if they haven't already.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    They'd at least have to figure something out to prevent it from becoming a one-stop-shop for doing all the Endeavors, if they haven't already.
    This is what I would assume the problem is.

At least one of the problems that said I'd assume they'd want to make it so that ships spawned in in this instance don't count for the Endeavor, but are working on how to do this without breaking rest of the game.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You mean like the now deceased Foundry was for Endeavors. Now I just keep various Missions at the Point that I can use them to fulfill Endeavors fairly quickly.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    This a great idea - I hope it makes its way to holodeck too
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    about time...people have only been screaming for a spawning ground for build testing almost since the game began​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    This sounds very cool. Somewhat replacing alot of the missions you could find on the Foundry. I'm too lazy to do the 3rd party parser, so having someplace to go to see how bad I suck will be nice. Plus since it's on Tribble, FREE gear upgrades are on Drozana! :D So get your gear to Epic MK XV and go pew pew something.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/cuv5r7/test_your_ship_builds_on_tribble/exzn3uh/
    We hope this can eventually appear on both Holodeck and Console shards, but we have a bunch of things that would need to get straightened out before that can happen. For now, we're content to let it live on Tribble only for the time being. Despite our interest in having it do so, there is currently no timeline for if/when it could make the jump to Live. ~ Borticus-Cryptic

They probably want to make it not count for space kills - I guess since they can do it give no rewards they can do that too
    lordmerc22 wrote: »

They probably want to make it not count for space kills - I guess since they can do it give no rewards they can do that too
    Space kills, but also damage and healing. If not forestalled, you could do pretty much all space endos except the TFO ones there, all at once.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I don't see the issue with endeavors. Outside of specific kill on certain enemies, healing, damage, etc., can generally be done in a single run of an STF or another space map. No they may not want it to be a one stop shop, but if there are no rewards, would you rather do your endeavors and get no rewards, or do them and get some rewards? I think that is reason enough to do the STFs or other content.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I don't see the issue with endeavors. Outside of specific kill on certain enemies, healing, damage, etc., can generally be done in a single run of an STF or another space map. No they may not want it to be a one stop shop, but if there are no rewards, would you rather do your endeavors and get no rewards, or do them and get some rewards? I think that is reason enough to do the STFs or other content.

This. I do energy damage ground on Nimbus where I take on Yamlon's three missions. Then if I still need energy damage I just run around killing things.

For energy damage space I'll run some DSEs or Romulan Patrols.

For specific enemies I'll run BZs or rerun whatever mission has what I need.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,844 Arc User
    besides, a lot of the endeavors in fact I think most, specify a certain zone. the last endeavur round I did was kill X voth ship in the dyson sphere
    Spock.jpg

• sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »

This. I do energy damage ground on Nimbus where I take on Yamlon's three missions. Then if I still need energy damage I just run around killing things.

For energy damage space I'll run some DSEs or Romulan Patrols.

For specific enemies I'll run BZs or rerun whatever mission has what I need.

I do exactly the same things :)

for shield healing, i do a borg stf (even if i hate them), these shield vacuums are at least helpful and interesting for that.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Yeah, and for shield/health healing on ground I just take a engi and go to Nukara and stand in a acid pool with shield/health generators active and just take potshots at any Tholians that come in range.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    For Borg kills space PE, for KDF, I tend to use Empire Defence: Borg. I guess Federation got similar mission?Almost all my toons are KDF or KDF-Alligned

But, anyways, I am very happy for this cause I hate 3rd party programs and it is the main reason I would never parse

moreover I find ISA a kind of boring map - they should had made something more fun for testing damage than it
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    For Borg kills space PE, for KDF, I tend to use Empire Defence: Borg. I guess Federation got similar mission?Almost all my toons are KDF or KDF-Alligned

Feds have nothing comparable to the Empire Defense missions.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    reyan01 wrote: »

But, anyways, I am very happy for this cause I hate 3rd party programs and it is the main reason I would never parse

moreover I find ISA a kind of boring map - they should had made something more fun for testing damage than it

Am looking forward to this too. ISA IS boring, and just lately has slipped back into 'often lasts 30 - 40 seconds' territory.

Heck, played an instance the other day with two Vaadwaur Juggernaughts present. It lasted about 25 seconds. Both were OP, one went left and basically one-shot everything, one went right and did the same thing. The rest of the team were entirely redundant.
    I've seen that too. And it doesn't even take juggies, really.

What you get when they sell more power but all the worthwhile content is stuck in perpetual Easy Mode.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Very good addition, especially since we can't use the Foundry anymore for testing builds.

I used to use The cure space to test builds because, first, the map existed back when I still needed to test things and, second, because you had a chance to shoot stuff without someone else interfering.

Although the cure map worked relatively well, having a map that is specifically designed for this should make it much easier to get consistent results and do the testing more thoroughly.

I am definitely hoping that it will come to Holodeck too.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

If you mean them as in Cryptic they did not do anything like it. The concept of parsing ISA is an entirely player driven thing.

If for some reason you do not like the concept of it or don’t like the map on it’s own there is no reason in the world why you should even consider doing it. ;)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    edited August 2019

Am looking forward to this too. ISA IS boring, and just lately has slipped back into 'often lasts 30 - 40 seconds' territory.

Heck, played an instance the other day with two Vaadwaur Juggernaughts present. It lasted about 25 seconds. Both were OP, one went left and basically one-shot everything, one went right and did the same thing. The rest of the team were entirely redundant.

While I can understand that the OPness of some players twist ISA away from obstacles that the map poses it opens up an entirely new prospect of an either densely teamed or directly competitive PvE environment with the bar set by the players who run it. The better the players, the higher the goals, the harder it gets.

I for my part was not yet fortunate enough to participate in a 25 second run in ever but I will surly keep on trying. It is also the number 1 map where I see the most that if I experience an easy time there I didn’t do nearly as much as I could. As a matter of fact, given the goals I set for myself in ISA, it is the hardest map in game for me to master. ;)
    animated.gif
    edited August 2019

I used to use The cure space to test builds because, first, the map existed back when I still needed to test things and, second, because you had a chance to shoot stuff without someone else interfering.

The thing is that even there you cannot. :)

Cryptic plays out the “let’s get the player to split the team and do stuff on their own” – pseudo team-play card on a lot of maps. It does not change the fact however that the second somebody in team hits Tactical or Intel fleet it will influence your shooting stuff whether you like it or not.

Of course if cryptic issues a map here that can be played by oneself without any team this would change and people could test without any forced team interaction (no matter if it is positive or negative in the respective situation).

I decided to hold any judgment of Cryptic’s endeavor here until I have seen it. I hope I can get myself to do it even because I really don’t feel like copying my toons to tribble for every build adjustment I do just to see how it plays out on a single player map. I mean my entire aim in STO is to play teamed PvE on holdeck. I also hope the parsing system of Cryptic will go a bit more into depth and not just limit itself to a final DPS score. That’s as helpful as extracting only that final figure from CLR and throw it in the face of clueless pugs in team chat. It would only show how good or bad one did without giving any hint as to why.
    animated.gif
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User

While I can understand that the OPness of some players twist ISA away from obstacles that the map poses it opens up an entirely new prospect of an either densely teamed or directly competitive PvE environment with the bar set by the players who run it. The better the players, the higher the goals, the harder it gets.

I for my part was not yet fortunate enough to participate in a 25 second run in ever but I will surly keep on trying. It is also the number 1 map where I see the most that if I experience an easy time there I didn’t do nearly as much as I could. As a matter of fact, given the goals I set for myself in ISA, it is the hardest map in game for me to master. ;)
    Not done 25 seconds myself but I have had some pretty fast maps where it has been finished before the big tactical cube at the ends even gets chance to wrap in. It turns out if you blow everything up before the extra ships warp in the map ends.

As for this new map I like the idea my only concern is if it stays on Tribble it wont get used much as it is to much hassle. Its at least x10 easier and massively faster to access and use SCM or CLR then it is to access this new map. You could explain to someone how to download install and use SCM/CLR and finish a complete map run long before you could get that same person to even setup this new map on Tribble. Then as you pointed out you have to mess around with character transfers and relogging all the time.

I mean if someone asks how to measure there performance what we are going to do? Explain this new map or point them to SCM/CLR.
  • leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 5,331 Arc User
    Personally I can't wait to test this out. Seeing my true, uninfluenced DPS is of interest. Never been interested in the 3rd evaluation as it can sometimes be wrong if you're out of that person's range.
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    I guess I'm stupid, but where on Tribble is this feature accessed? Just saw Timberwolf's video and want to try it out.
  • leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 5,331 Arc User
    duasyn wrote: »
    I guess I'm stupid, but where on Tribble is this feature accessed? Just saw Timberwolf's video and want to try it out.

Drozana's Test console.
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
This discussion has been closed.