test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What the hell is making this notification sound? Arc client? Steam Client? Some other program?

A few weeks ago my PC started making notification beeps/sounds at random intervals, mostly while I'm playing STO. Not only are they annoying, but the cursor in STO pauses each time as if the program making the sound is temporarily stealing focus from the game for a second.

The tones are not associated with anything occurring in game. They also do not appear to be forum notifications since I have not posted in that many threads, but I cant rule it out. I checked Arc client and Steam client settings since they are always running, but did not find any notification sounds that were not already disabled.

Here is link to 3 seconds of the audio where you can hear 3 of the tones (2 unique). PLEASE let me know if anyone recognizes this sound and what application is making it so I can turn it of and prevent it from interrupting STO play:

<a href="https://drive.google.com/file/d/13ilfOaoeL7v5GQ3-SMrNlgEDrk-kHm_2/view?usp=sharing">The annoying sound</a>

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13ilfOaoeL7v5GQ3-SMrNlgEDrk-kHm_2/view?usp=sharing

Thanks.

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    That's your computer telling you something that is plugged in has stopped responding, the second sound is the sound of the thing responding again.

Example: I have my cellphone plugged by USB to my computer. When I plug it in I get that second sound, when I unplug it I get the first sound.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • wraithmeisterwraithmeister Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    Thx.

The only cables plugged into my pc are:
    - usb keyboard
    - usb mouse
    - hdmi monitor
    - optical audio
    - power
    - Internet/LAN/cat cable.

All are working, and I checked and none appeared loose. hopefully something is not going bonkers on the board.
    The fact that the mouse pauses for second during beep could mean it could be the mouse, but its a logitech G400s optical mouse that is less than 6 months old and other than cat hair occasionally getting into optic port has no issues.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    If your mouse is pausing during the beeps it could mean that the usb port could be the problem and not the mouse plug.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    is your mouse wireless? change the battery
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    yup thats usb disconnecting and connecting
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    As others have said, it's something that is connecting and disconnecting. Specifically that's a USB/Peripheral sound. So it's not power, and if you can hear it from your speakers, it's not your speakers, if your monitor doesn't shut off randomly to the sound, it's not your monitor. My guess is it's a short in either your mouse or keyboard wiring, and whenever you're moving or hitting them it disconnects them from the computer, try and make sure the area inside the connections are clean and move around each item a little, and see if your computer makes sounds according to when you move something specific.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I'd check your mouse, like others have said... Especially since the mouse cursor is pausing at the same time...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,247 Arc User
    Yeah if the cursor is pausing it does seem like there's an issue with the mouse, either at the unit itself or the UBS connection. Again it probably isn't STO's fault directly but rather STO might be the game you notice it with the most so your brain makes a false connection.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Since it seems the issue is resolved, I'm moving this to the technical subforum in the event someone else has this issue and would benefit from the answer. /Moved
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch