test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do you think they really listen?

Do you think the developers really listen to us the players or do we fall on deaf ears. I know for me I have spent an ungodly amount of money on this game because I do love the game. But sometimes I feel like me and a bunch of other players ask for small stuff to be put into the game but it’ll never happen. I’ve always wanted the Star Fleet uniform from the wrath of khan, and I’m pretty sure they’re tired of hearing about. But never have gotten any type of reply as to why we can’t have it for the xbox. Do they really care about us or just the amount of money we can spend on the game?

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't. Just like anybody else in anything else.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    There is a flood of messages of every game dev's forums every day, and 90% of it is poorly informed, narrowly conceived, outright wrong, or toxic complaints and whining. Some of the complaints are well deserved, some are not.

Game companies cannot (or do not) afford to pay someone to sift through all that info and select out the useful information to condense and pass on to the devs. Some game co's make some use of Moderators for this, some use a Community Manager for this, I've yet to see (in 25 years of internet gaming) a company make good, consistent use of pulling the useable content out of their forums and using it to improve the game.

Thus, devs ignore 95% of what is said on their own forums (some dev co's don't even participate on their own forums) or Reddit, some pay a little more attention to their twitter/social media accounts, mostly they just do whatever they think sounds good and occasionally pick up an idea from some players who attended a convention with them or directly communicated an idea to someone who could follow up on it.

Normally devs only listen to mass revolts that are coming through on all channels, and/or mass cancellations of subs and drops in income. Then they sort of wake up and go "oh, hey, wait, all our income comes from players? Those people we ignore all the time because hey, what do they know? Well maybe we should run a round table or something and ask them what they want in a game."
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Depends on how you define "listening". If you mean it in: "They treat what we see as commands they will follow as soon as possible" then... No, definitely not.
    If you mean in: "Does Cryptic have an idea what we are talking about, what is important to us, what concerns we have?" Yes. On some occasions you actually see the feedback being turned into action really quick (like when they test features on Tribble and ask for feedback) - but not all of it. They still have to take other things into considerations, like whether something is feasible, whether it will work with the rest of the game and technical or legal requirements or business concerns, and sometimes also what other players have given for feedback that might not agree with feedback of another player. Because "we" are a heterogeneous group and don't all think alike.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    One thing some people don't realize is that "me and my friends" is a drop in the ocean of an MMO. What is important to you might or might not be important to the majority of players. Also, Cryptic is a business. They need to ignore 90+% of the "nice ideas" and focus on things that will make them money.

I don't listen to any top 40 music -- if record companies followed my suggestions for what they should release, they'd go bankrupt. I don't read the top 10 bestsellers in books, same idea.

PVP players can be very passionate about what they think should be changed. Cryptic mostly ignores them because they are tiny minority. Most of us don't play PVP.

Some of us would like fully customizable ship interiors as strongholds. The majority of players just want to fly their ships, not live in them.

Cryptic "doesn't listen" to our wishes if you define that as "obey them." Cryptic does listen if you mean "knows about, and has even discussed them in the forums, reddit, livestreams."
  • Options
    psytce0002psytce0002 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Sorry . reply was for PC ....
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    No, no they do not. Been reporting game breaking bugs for years with not so much as a peep from them. And they obviously dont care about what the players want in terms of content. They are just eager to release the next gamble-box.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    Back when we had Bran Flakes he tended to listen to what players were saying and frequently reported to the devs and there was a good feeling of discourse between us and them. Nowadays however, it seems Kael isn't remotely interested in such things.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    westx211 wrote: »
    Back when we had Bran Flakes he tended to listen to what players were saying and frequently reported to the devs and there was a good feeling of discourse between us and them. Nowadays however, it seems Kael isn't remotely interested in such things.

Yeah, Bran Flakes was the best thing to ever happen to this game. Respected him more then the devs, thats for sure.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • Options
    lexusk19 wrote: »

Yeah, Bran Flakes was the best thing to ever happen to this game. Respected him more then the devs, thats for sure.

Kael is probably an okay dude but... he's not as good as his job as bran flakes was. I understand why Bran left, but because of Kael I'm 90% sure the devs don't have any idea what the players want, and if they do they just flat out don't care.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Kael is probably an okay dude but... he's not as good as his job as bran flakes was. I understand why Bran left, but because of Kael I'm 90% sure the devs don't have any idea what the players want, and if they do they just flat out don't care.

Under what criteria do you deem Kael as 'not as good' as bran flakes?
  • Options
    tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    I think that the Devs are passively aware to some extent, of what "We" want. I also think that in some cases "We" aren't much more than a vocal portion of the player base on the forums. The Devs have access to metrics and stats that we don't. "We" might be asking for a change here, while the rest of the player base continues to interact with and enjoy the thing that 12 of us on the forums are screaming and ranting about. "We" isn't all inclusive. I also think that transparency isn't what it should be or could be. Cryptic is a little too cryptic sometimes. That may be because of interactions with assorted content rights holders and platforms. It may just be because of a company atmosphere that encourages it. Who knows. I'm going to continue to play the game as I see fit, and enjoy what I enjoy. If it becomes too much, I'll take another break and hope it's there when I come back.
    Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet
  • Options
    equinox976 wrote: »

Bran Flakes frequently communicated with the community outside of live streams(I don't even think the streams were a thing during his tenure) and wasn't afraid to tell cryptic what the players were upset about and explained to us if something could be done and why, or if something couldn't be done and why. Kael just kind of ignores any kind of complaints or is dismissive of them and doesn't really ever interact with the forums on any level other than making new topics. Bran Flakes was a true "Community" manager.
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    No...and thank god they don't. Most of the ideas on this forum are from people who really have no clue about how to run a company, develop a game, game design 101 or hell even common fraking sense.

There are several good ideas on this forum, several bad ones too. To ignore all of them is a bad idea. Some people have no idea how to run a company or develop a game, some do. Just because this game exist doesn't make it impossible that out of the hundreds of thousands of game developers that exist that do play games, that at least a few play this game.
  • Options
    No...and thank god they don't. Most of the ideas on this forum are from people who really have no clue about how to run a company, develop a game, game design 101 or hell even common fraking sense.

There are several good ideas on this forum, several bad ones too. To ignore all of them is a bad idea. Some people have no idea how to run a company or develop a game, some do. Just because this game exist doesn't make it impossible that out of the hundreds of thousands of game developers that exist that do play games, that at least a few play this game.

Saying there are several good ideas is being generous...and several bad ones is being overly optimistic. This game has been able to stay alive for almost a decade now. Something VERY few MMOs can do. They don't need the advice of Joe who thinks he know everything about game economics when they can't even understand the BASIC economic premise of supply and demand and the difference between trading currency vs creation of currency. No...really...99.9999999% of the populace is too damn stupid to know how to keep an MMO going for nearly a decade. They did it...they don't need our stupid ideas. Even mine about more Romulan warbirds. Because I'm gonna be honest here...them including all that stuff from the Michael Burnham show is the smart move to make money. Ignoring the Romulans to do that...once again, the smart move. Doesn't mean I have to like it...but they know what they are doing and they should not be listening to the players. That includes ME. And I am somebody who is intelligent enough to know that. What does that say for everyone who things they are right no matter what?

They could use some ideas, they aren't infallible they're only human and humans can misinterpret data based on bias. There are in game players who fully understand economics and the games economics and become exorbitantly rich in game because of it, yet suggestions from them are promptly ignored such as, make choice boxes tradeable if you really want to lower the price of expensive items like ships on the exchange. And they could have made some romulan ships to go along with the disco stuff, they chose not to. They made a beautiful Romulan ship to go along with the Kelvin stuff, I'm sure they could have done the same with the discovery stuff and made a fair bit of money. And as long as you don't make bad decisions you can keep an MMO going for a very long time. Hell Star Wars Galaxies made some terrible decisions and didn't truly die until Swtor neared its release. Sometimes games can survive off of ip alone, I mean for all we know STO like Galaxies would just get shut down the moment a new MMO based off star trek came along. I doubt a new Star Trek MMO would come out for a while, but I'm fairly certain that even if this game was bad, people would still play it because its star trek.
  • Options
    No...really...99.9999999% of the populace is too damn stupid to know how to keep an MMO going for nearly a decade. They did it...they don't need our stupid ideas.

I agree. Cryptic managed to salvage this game from the god awful clutches of Atari/Infrogames (do you remember the 3 strike/infraction rules of the original forums - it was hilarious).

They have kept the game running and free for a very long time, and even managed to throw in a good number of voice overs from original Trek' actors, so I think they are doing pretty well despite the number of complaints/suggestions they have had over the course of the years.

I'm no Cryptic fanboy as any glance as my post history will tell you - but I've mellowed with the years, and come to accept that they are doing a pretty good job, despite the number of irritatations I still have with the game.
  • Options

Saying there are several good ideas is being generous...and several bad ones is being overly optimistic. This game has been able to stay alive for almost a decade now. Something VERY few MMOs can do. They don't need the advice of Joe who thinks he know everything about game economics when they can't even understand the BASIC economic premise of supply and demand and the difference between trading currency vs creation of currency. No...really...99.9999999% of the populace is too damn stupid to know how to keep an MMO going for nearly a decade. They did it...they don't need our stupid ideas. Even mine about more Romulan warbirds. Because I'm gonna be honest here...them including all that stuff from the Michael Burnham show is the smart move to make money. Ignoring the Romulans to do that...once again, the smart move. Doesn't mean I have to like it...but they know what they are doing and they should not be listening to the players. That includes ME. And I am somebody who is intelligent enough to know that. What does that say for everyone who things they are right no matter what?

They could use some ideas, they aren't infallible they're only human and humans can misinterpret data based on bias. There are in game players who fully understand economics and the games economics and become exorbitantly rich in game because of it, yet suggestions from them are promptly ignored such as, make choice boxes tradeable if you really want to lower the price of expensive items like ships on the exchange. And they could have made some romulan ships to go along with the disco stuff, they chose not to. They made a beautiful Romulan ship to go along with the Kelvin stuff, I'm sure they could have done the same with the discovery stuff and made a fair bit of money. And as long as you don't make bad decisions you can keep an MMO going for a very long time. Hell Star Wars Galaxies made some terrible decisions and didn't truly die until Swtor neared its release. Sometimes games can survive off of ip alone, I mean for all we know STO like Galaxies would just get shut down the moment a new MMO based off star trek came along. I doubt a new Star Trek MMO would come out for a while, but I'm fairly certain that even if this game was bad, people would still play it because its star trek.

While they COULD have made some homebrew romulan ships for AoD stuff, they would not have been able to release the packs as fast as they did if they did so. The release of ships packs for AoD has been pretty agressive...and from the looks of the ships in the game, they are popular. So they are making money. Slowing down those releases to add romulan ships would have made me happy...but from a make money PoV would have been a mistake. Doesn't mean I will support them for their choices mind you...but you can't argue with results. You don't need the servers to die before a game is dead. Galaxies was long dead before they shut down the servers. This game ain't there yet...not even close. And you say that keeping a MMO alive is no big deal...and yet, most can't even manage 2 years with 5 years being considered a pretty big benchmark. Why is that if it's not that hard?

Because most companies shut down an mmo the moment it becomes unprofitable. Servers are actually pretty cheap to uphold, its why some ancient games still have servers up even though their hayday is long past. Now paying development costs might stop, but its not out of the ordinary to just pay for server upkeep for a while even after games go down. Players can even make their own servers sometimes like when fans revived that Fusion Fall MMO from Cartoon network. But Companies usually aren't interested in keeping MMOs around for longer than they have to though, possibly they just consider mmos less of a priority. And I'm sure it wouldn't have taken too much longer for the romulan ships to be made if they were keeping the workload consistent, and despite their aggressive stance on disco ships some ships in game still take forever to come out. The Jem Vet ship has been in development for over 1 year after all.
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    Yes, I believe they listen. Everyone who plays STO has some point of view: some are on point, others are way out there, and others are in the middle. Some decisions they have made I disagree with and some I agree with while others I am neutral on. I also recognize they are a small development team with job openings as well. P. S. Wish they would update the copyright for their official Cryptic Studios website to 2019, right now it is two years old.

Also, just because a bug has not been tackled yet, does not mean it never will be or that they are not listening to you, the player. Apparently, this was mentioned in a live stream, they prioritize bugs on a certain continuum and they have lists regarded this continuum. Sometimes they also are not aware of the bug and someone has to bring it to their attention. For those seeing bugs, continue to report them both on the forums, in-game, and through the STO support page. Don't give up, don't lose heart.

How do you know the workload is not consistent? I am not in game development but based on what I have heard about game companies, the employees of said companies work grinding hours and even have to do things in their extra time for the game (some call those pet projects).

Branflakes was Branflakes. Not every community manager can be a Branflakes, everyone is different. Different personalities, ways to approach the playerbase, etc. Though there was a time before livestreams that Branflakes as well as other personalities had a show about Star Trek Online (it got cancelled though).

Also, contrary to you, Kael does not ignore complaints or is dismissive of them but it also helps if the poster is not vitriolic. There is one thing to vent, there is another to spew hatred against the devs. Also, creating new topics helps in the discussion of content that has been released, ideas being debated, etc. West, I don't think you are being fair to Kael in this regard. You have liked Branflakes and that is fine but give Kael with his idiosyncrasies, faults, etc a fair shake, then you can decide whether you like him or not. Yes, he at times is haphazard but there are many ways to be a community manager and he also is learning as well including from the players as well. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,328 Community Moderator
    I know for a fact that they do.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    sthe91 wrote: »
    Yes, I believe they listen. Everyone who plays STO has some point of view: some are on point, others are way out there, and others are in the middle. Some decisions they have made I disagree with and some I agree with while others I am neutral on. I also recognize they are a small development team with job openings as well. P. S. Wish they would update the copyright for their official Cryptic Studios website to 2019, right now it is two years old.

Also, just because a bug has not been tackled yet, does not mean it never will be or that they are not listening to you, the player. Apparently, this was mentioned in a live stream, they prioritize bugs on a certain continuum and they have lists regarded this continuum. Sometimes they also are not aware of the bug and someone has to bring it to their attention. For those seeing bugs, continue to report them both on the forums, in-game, and through the STO support page. Don't give up, don't lose heart.

How do you know the workload is not consistent? I am not in game development but based on what I have heard about game companies, the employees of said companies work grinding hours and even have to do things in their extra time for the game (some call those pet projects).

Branflakes was Branflakes. Not every community manager can be a Branflakes, everyone is different. Different personalities, ways to approach the playerbase, etc. Though there was a time before livestreams that Branflakes as well as other personalities had a show about Star Trek Online (it got cancelled though).

Also, contrary to you, Kael does not ignore complaints or is dismissive of them but it also helps if the poster is not vitriolic. There is one thing to vent, there is another to spew hatred against the devs. Also, creating new topics helps in the discussion of content that has been released, ideas being debated, etc. West, I don't think you are being fair to Kael in this regard. You have liked Branflakes and that is fine but give Kael with his idiosyncrasies, faults, etc a fair shake, then you can decide whether you like him or not. Yes, he at times is haphazard but there are many ways to be a community manager and he also is learning as well including from the players as well. Thanks. :)

I have given Kael a fair shake, and yes not every community manager can be like Branflakes but they should aspire to be. Kael doesn't even seem to try, or even try to stand out.

And I'm not sure where I said their workload isn't consistent? And many AAA gaming companies overwork their employees in order to produce games and content. Happens a lot with the more successful titles or companies that are poorly manages. (Crunch only exists because of either unrealistic deadlines or poor management)

And there are some long standing bugs that still haven't been tackled like a few appearance glitches with some outfit pieces that would most likely be easy to fix, but are as far as I know, a very low priority for the team.
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    i am satisfied with the amount of listening the team does. we get weekly streams thats nice.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Sure they do, OP. Just because they didn't give you whatever thing YOU wanted WHEN you wanted it, doesn't mean they don't "really listen." They have a general outline of what they want to do. They take feedback like all businesses do. They reconcile that feedback with the raw numbers that they can see and they hopefully make the best decision they can. Then they do it all over again.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited June 2019

Bran Flakes frequently communicated with the community outside of live streams(I don't even think the streams were a thing during his tenure) and wasn't afraid to tell cryptic what the players were upset about and explained to us if something could be done and why, or if something couldn't be done and why. Kael just kind of ignores any kind of complaints or is dismissive of them and doesn't really ever interact with the forums on any level other than making new topics. Bran Flakes was a true "Community" manager.

Just FYI, Kael's predecessor (LaughingTrendy) listened to the community..

She was fired for it.

Technically.. he was 'promoted' and then quietly fired later.

No, Kael is not responsive to the community at all.. but honestly, it's hard to blame him. I don't think Cryptic wants him to interact with us too much. Kael strikes me as a generally friendly person and is probably not the type that just hates to listen to people. Like most everyone else though, he has to answer to those above him so his lack of interaction might not fully be his fault (if at all.)

Still, I believe overall that they listen to feedback, they just don't honor every little request and report. That's probably a good thing too.

Unlike some, I actually think Cryptic is responsive to bug reports.. most things that I have had serious issue with in game have been rapidly fixed. We get a laundry list of bug fixes every Thursday, so this 'they never fix bugs' thing is something I have never understood.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    dark4blood wrote: »
    No...they have the ideas that the general population wants like more ships and more episodes, beyond that they are just riding the gravy train until the game closes.

I think the Dev team have a genuine affection for Star Trek - Perfect World may be 'riding the gravy train', but I see no evidence of the Dev team resting on their laurels, the quality of the episodes released over the past 2 years is superior to what he have had in the past (will better voice acting too boot).
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    the quality of the episodes released over the past 2 years is superior to what he have had in the past (will better voice acting too boot).

Well said and absolutely true.

The last couple years have brought some of the best content in the history of the game.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Just think about your work. If a customer/user of your work comes to you and asks you to do anything differently when they have no clue how you do your work or know your schedule in the first place, how far would you go out of your way to accomodate for them?

The devs are professionals and making this game is their work. It never hurts to ask question or say "hey, that would be cool" - chances are, the devs already think that it would be cool but it's not going to get realized due to their schedule being already full to the brim (keep in mind, many, many things like new ship models have been made by devs on their own time because the work schedule doesn't permit it). Never try to tell anyone how to make their job if you have no idea what you are talking about.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
This discussion has been closed.