test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are you guys planning to get the new Disco Constitution or D7?

Comments

• iamjmphiamjmph Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    No, I won’t bother with them because…
    Yeah i only read the first page so far, but ill give my two cents...

Im not really a fan of discovery, especially it's Klingon aesthetics(and ok the Discovery looks a little funny too, and the section 31 ships were just... no), that said this is almost what i would consider proper Trek looks(the Fed pets are strange though). I wouldn't mind flying the D7.

The price, and availability(character only) are a huge turn off though. I have in the past spent enough to win a promo ship, and it was awesome! But them being character bound and the insane price on the exchange quickly destroyed the fun. I haven't played that toon in almost a year. Decided i wouldn't do it again. At least with lockbox/lobi ships you have a better chance of getting the ones you want per toon.
  • acavalloacavallo Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Yes, I plan to get one because…
    I say yes cause... well I already own the new Connie and absolutely Love this ship! The design is beautiful, it's a fun ship to fly with great abilities, and a gazillion pets to wreck your enemies. It's an amazing ship.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    lordgyor wrote: »
    Great ships and pets, but the grind isn't worth it.

I guess that's a matter of individual opinion. I got most of my EC through general game play which I felt was actually fun. For me, the ship was an award for playing a game I enjoy anyway.

Needless to say, I am happy with that.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    To be clear, even though I did get a DISCO Connie, I am not overly thrilled with the lock box/R&D/Duty Officer Promotion system either.

I understand it.. I accept it, I get it.. that doesn't mean I have to like it. I will however point out a few things..

People like to point out the $270-$300 price tag to 'buy it outright.' While that may be true, that assumes you started at zero credits and used your zen to go from zero to the full price. I highly doubt that describes most players.

Personally, I had about 1B saved up.. slightly more. That was actually nothing much, I don't play for hours and hours every day and I have 9 active characters. Usually Thursday, Friday and Saturday are my days that I play a lot because I can be on at the same time as my fleet mates. Other days, I play maybe an hour to 1.5hrs a day and mostly just spend it doing admiralty and crafting upgrades to sell. Yes, getting to 1B took several months and for me I went from being 'space rich' to 'space poor' in one transaction. I did also spend about $40 USD in real money, but that was just an 'I want it now' thing, I could have waited and got it 100% for free.

Would I have preferred just being able to buy it outright as an account unlock? Of course.. I don't know any player that would favor having to save up for months and basically 'go broke' to get the ship they want over the option of a one time cost that gives it to all your characters. I understand however, that the real world doesn't usually work the way I want it to. These promo's bring in thousands and thousands of dollars.. I understand that if the game isn't profitable, it doesn't exist.

I also said in another thread, I consider the possibility that maybe Cryptic isn't 'the bad guy' in this situation. We all know that CBS has had rules in the past about the Constitution Class and that even though they did eventually allow it, they require it to be 'rare.' You can't fill that requirement by putting it in the C-Store. All they would say on the live stream is that there was no other 'viable method' to sell the ship. Obviously, they didn't elaborate, but honestly.. I don't believe that this promotion was entirely up to Cryptic.

If Cryptic really wanted to gouge people, the R&D Boxes would have been bound so that the only way you could get them was cash. Allowing them to be sold on the exchange is what allows people a 'gamble free' option.

That's the end of my rant on that matter. As for the ship itself, I spent pretty much all the EC I had saved up for the better part of 6 months..

And it was worth it.

Now I start building again, and next time something drops that I want I'll get that too just like I did here. :smile:

But it's so ugly...and pizza cutter shaped :p . Grats on your new ship. One of the great things about them producing nothing I like is I don't have to spend all my resources and build back up again. Oh FYI, if you missed my other post, section 31 vanity shield is reaching their lows...for building back up. Also hope you got some space hive defense traits when they dropped to like 2 mil each last infinity box release. They are almost back to 10 mil a piece. And infinty promo box are still a deal at around 15 mil each.

Thanks for the heads up on those traits.. most appreciated. I missed the Hive Defenses drop (because I didn't look for it) but I got a nice deep discount on Terran Targeting Systems.. so I am happy.

Weird thing is, I normally hate the Connie.. it's just not a design that ever appealed to me.. but the Discovery one I actually like. Sure.. it's no Gagarin and it's certainly not a Mogai.. but it's pretty cool looking. :smile:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • redwatchmanredwatchman Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    Yes I will. I did get one day 1. I opened 4 boxes and got the ship. It’s a great ship and I’m having a lot of fun with it.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Yes I will. I did get one day 1. I opened 4 boxes and got the ship. It’s a great ship and I’m having a lot of fun with it.

Nice! Congratulations to you. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    edited June 2019

You sir are quite lucky.. congrats!!

I know my luck would never be that good, so I didn't try.. I just bought mine using saved EC. Enjoy your new ship.. she's really fun to fly.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User

You sir are quite lucky.. congrats!!

I know my luck would never be that good, so I didn't try.. I just bought mine. Enjoy your new ship.. she's really fun to fly.

Very lucky.

dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    ...I got one a few hours ago, and I'm loving it so far. :D
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    statement: above answer suspect given contradictory nature with poll result​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.

I'm in the same boat.

I voted No when the ship was first announced and then later changed my mind. I can't go back and change my vote, so it still shows me as a 'No' even though I ultimately did get one..

And I love it.

I'm in the same boat.

I voted No when the ship was first announced and then later changed my mind. I can't go back and change my vote, so it still shows me as a 'No' even though I ultimately did get one..

And I love it.

Well, I'm not changing my mind ;p .

I know better then to try and convince you. :lol:
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User

I'm in the same boat.

And I love it.

Haha this, basically.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > statement: above answer suspect given contradictory nature with poll result​​

That is because many people that voted "no" actually really really want it, but said "no" because they thought they had no shot. But many still buy boxes and of course play the lottery. That's why lockboxes work in the first place and that is why the Connie is in one 😋
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    That is because many people that voted "no" actually really really want it, but said "no" because they thought they had no shot. But many still buy boxes and of course play the lottery.

Not everyone.

I didn't open a single pack. :smiley:
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    angarus1 wrote: »

I'm in the same boat.

And I love it.

Haha this, basically.

Well, I voted yes - but I was lucky enough to win a R&D Promotion ship prize box when they ran the promotion in January (actually won it on New Year's Day). Personally always assumed that the DSC Constituion would be a prize ship when it did appear, so put that box in the bank and left it there. The assumption was proven correct.

Incredible ship!

But what if they put the Tier 6 Nova in a promo box?!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    >
    > Not everyone.
    >
    > I didn't open a single pack. :smiley:

Good thing you pointed that out, in case someone missed the first six times 😂

The point stands. When this poll was created it's purpose was to channel the outrage and reassure oneself that the collective should not "fall for it". The resentment of course came from the presumed price tag which is out of quite a lot of player's reach. But of course on the sidelines they tried, by whichever means.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > statement: above answer suspect given contradictory nature with poll result​​

That is because many people that voted "no" actually really really want it, but said "no" because they thought they had no shot. But many still buy boxes and of course play the lottery. That's why lockboxes work in the first place and that is why the Connie is in one 😋

^^^^^ This.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User

I guess that's a matter of individual opinion. I got most of my EC through general game play which I felt was actually fun. For me, the ship was an award for playing a game I enjoy anyway.

To be clear, even though I did get a DISCO Connie, I am not overly thrilled with the lock box/R&D/Duty Officer Promotion system either.

I understand it.. I accept it, I get it.. that doesn't mean I have to like it. I will however point out a few things..

People like to point out the $270-$300 price tag to 'buy it outright.' While that may be true, that assumes you started at zero credits and used your zen to go from zero to the full price. I highly doubt that describes most players.

Personally, I had about 1B saved up.. slightly more. That was actually nothing much, I don't play for hours and hours every day and I have 9 active characters. Usually Thursday, Friday and Saturday are my days that I play a lot because I can be on at the same time as my fleet mates. Other days, I play maybe an hour to 1.5hrs a day and mostly just spend it doing admiralty and crafting upgrades to sell. Yes, getting to 1B took several months and for me I went from being 'space rich' to 'space poor' in one transaction. I did also spend about $40 USD in real money, but that was just an 'I want it now' thing, I could have waited and got it 100% for free.

Would I have preferred just being able to buy it outright as an account unlock? Of course.. I don't know any player that would favor having to save up for months and basically 'go broke' to get the ship they want over the option of a one time cost that gives it to all your characters. I understand however, that the real world doesn't usually work the way I want it to. These promo's bring in thousands and thousands of dollars.. I understand that if the game isn't profitable, it doesn't exist.

I also said in another thread, I consider the possibility that maybe Cryptic isn't 'the bad guy' in this situation. We all know that CBS has had rules in the past about the Constitution Class and that even though they did eventually allow it, they require it to be 'rare.' You can't fill that requirement by putting it in the C-Store. All they would say on the live stream is that there was no other 'viable method' to sell the ship. Obviously, they didn't elaborate, but honestly.. I don't believe that this promotion was entirely up to Cryptic.

If Cryptic really wanted to gouge people, the R&D Boxes would have been bound so that the only way you could get them was cash. Allowing them to be sold on the exchange is what allows people a 'gamble free' option.

That's the end of my rant on that matter. As for the ship itself, I spent pretty much all the EC I had saved up for the better part of 6 months..

And it was worth it.

Now I start building again, and next time something drops that I want I'll get that too just like I did here. :smile:

But it's so ugly...and pizza cutter shaped :p . Grats on your new ship. One of the great things about them producing nothing I like is I don't have to spend all my resources and build back up again. Oh FYI, if you missed my other post, section 31 vanity shield is reaching their lows...for building back up. Also hope you got some space hive defense traits when they dropped to like 2 mil each last infinity box release. They are almost back to 10 mil a piece. And infinty promo box are still a deal at around 15 mil each.

Thanks for the heads up on those traits.. most appreciated. I missed the Hive Defenses drop (because I didn't look for it) but I got a nice deep discount on Terran Targeting Systems.. so I am happy.

Weird thing is, I normally hate the Connie.. it's just not a design that ever appealed to me.. but the Discovery one I actually like. Sure.. it's no Gagarin and it's certainly not a Mogai.. but it's pretty cool looking. :smile:

That really goes to show what a great job John Eaves did in revising the design. I've always liked the design and I think the Discovery version is the most attractive iteration of it.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    vampeiyre wrote: »

And it was worth it.

That really goes to show what a great job John Eaves did in revising the design. I've always liked the design and I think the Discovery version is the most attractive iteration of it.

It depends on how you look at it. Granted, the ship is a lot better than the silly, cartoonish JJprise design, and it shows a lot of care in how it is put together and detailed, really an excellent job for a generic starship. The only problem is that Eves does not seem to understand the flow of the original and the curves and angles are more a sort of minimalist version of art deco than the googie style of the original so it just looks oddly off.
    The only problem is that Eves does not seem to understand the flow of the original and the curves and angles are more a sort of minimalist version of art deco than the googie style of the original so it just looks oddly off.

Aesthetics will always be a matter of personal preference. To me, the original Connie looks silly.. I have never liked it and still don't like it.

The DiscoPrise however, looks a lot better to me. Even though the changes are fairly subtle, they're significant and to me, they make a dated and silly design look a lot more tolerable. I think they did a great job working within the parameters of the original. That was a tough job given what an ugly ship they started with. :wink:
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    iamjmph wrote: »
    At least with lockbox/lobi ships you have a better chance of getting the ones you want per toon.

On average you have a better chance of winning a ship from a promo pack than you do from a lock box. Around double the chance. BUT, the promo pack price is higher per unit so buyer beware. With lobi, you always have a 100% chance of getting the ship you want either via the Crosis way of buying a lobi ship (with lobi). Or the way that makes sense for 99% of players (EC trade via exchange).
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.

I'm in the same boat.

And I love it.

This ship has absolutely blown me away. I mean, I gave it to a char I hadn't really spent much time on (my AoY/TOS char). Have thrown everything I could at improving the build, alhough ran out of resources and have been unable to upgrade all of the beam arrays (currently three XV Epic and the rest stuck at XV Ultra-Rare).

Even so, today managed to acheive the best DPS record I've ever managed on an Eng char:
    [Team] Adel Steiner@Adel-Steiner: SCM - Infected [LR] (S) - [02:57] DMG(DPS) - @Adel-Steiner: 23.33M(136.17K) @reyan01: 13.92M(79.33K) @corking35: 4.35M(25.52K) @Nightops25: 3.91M(22.41K) @jihchop: 2.66M(15.24K)

I know it's not ground breaking, but is a record for me and isn't FAR off my overall best (86k) that my Tactical character managed a few weeks ago!

Best. Ship. EVER! :D

I did the same thing, I gave mine to my AOY Character because I hardly played her and had no real direction for her. I gave the ship to her to make her fun to play again and it worked quite well.

I haven't had a chance to upgrade yet, I don't have enough Phoenix Kits to really do much of anything. I upgraded the Pets to the Elite Version from the Fleet Starbase but that was about it. Using Mark XII VR beams I still managed to pull 88k in ISA. Not bad at all, just a bit less then I could do with similar mark/rarity cannons.

It's nice to have a beam build with some actual teeth for once. This ship really highlights what a horrible job they have done 'balancing' beam builds.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Glad to hear that you guys are having fun with the ship and put it to effective use. :)

Thanks to the cool input here and the drop in price on the exchange over the weekend I got the Discoprise as well now. This now leaves me only with the decision which toon to give it to. Two of mine are in closer consideration.

AoY Tac:
    + Existing Phaser cannon build only requires the new beams to be upgraded so rather cheap
    + Tac is a good platform to see how far DPS can be pushed with the new beams and the ship is potent enough to do so (think below Jugger but around Gagarin level)
    + The Andorian Toon fits thematically
    - Abandoning current cannons for beams, even the advanced ones, is a clear performance downgrade
    - High risk in case of possible advanced beam nerfs (DPS important for the undertaking)

25c Eng:
    + Set up as tank on the Tucker atm so the new ship itslef poses a considerable upgrade for the intended role (stats look ideal)
    + Transition from current plasma beams to advanced phaser beams is a clear performance upgrade as far as DPS is concerned
    + Low risk in case of possible advanced beam nerfs (DPS not that critical for the undertaking)
    - High cost moving from Plasma to Phaser on an entire build
    - Liberated Borg char hardly fits thematically

If you have any ideas here feel free to voice them. Other than that this poll has surpassed any expectations of mine with it’s over 140 participants so big thank you from me.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    edited July 2019
    Glad to hear that you guys are having fun with the ship and put it to effective use. :)

Thanks to the cool input here and the drop in price on the exchange over the weekend I got the Discoprise as well now. This now leaves me only with the decision which toon to give it to. Two of mine are in closer consideration.

AoY Tac:
    + Existing Phaser cannon build only requires the new beams to be upgraded so rather cheap
    + Tac is a good platform to see how far DPS can be pushed with the new beams and the ship is potent enough to do so (think below Jugger but around Gagarin level)
    + The Andorian Toon fits thematically
    - Abandoning current cannons for beams, even the advanced ones, is a clear performance downgrade
    - High risk in case of possible advanced beam nerfs (DPS important for the undertaking)

25c Eng:
    + Set up as tank on the Tucker atm so the new ship itslef poses a considerable upgrade for the intendedrole (stats look ideal)
    + Transition from current plasma beams to advanced phaser beams is a clear performance upgrade as far as DPS is concerned
    + Low risk in case of possible advanced beam nerfs (DPS not that critical for the undertaking)
    - High cost moving from Plasma to Phaser on an entire build
    - Liberated Borg char hardly fits thematically

If you have any ideas here feel free to voice them. Other than that this poll has surpassed any expectations of mine with it’s over 140 participants so big thank you from me.

I vote AOY.

If the beams do get nerfed, you can still tank with your tac, the only real advantage to the Engineer is the extra heal from Miraculous Repairs. Other then that, there is really no significant advantage to using an Engineer as a tank over a Tactical or even a Science character. Your AOY can already make the transition for a small cost, and if the DPS gets nerfed a conversion to a tank would likely be cheaper then converting your existing plasma tank to Phaser.

Do both characters already have the DPRM? that's a consideration as well.

As far as dropping the tacticals DPS.. yes, that will happen. It happened to me too, I converted my AOY from a Cannon Built TOS Dread (Atlas) to the Discoprise. Thing is, you have plenty of DPS cannon builds already, this will give you something different and still effective. To me.. that outweighs the DPS loss going from Cannons to the Advanced Phasers. You'll gain some back with the pets too, they perform very well.

It's up to you.. you're the one playing it.. but to me, AOY seems the obvious bet. Plus.. that's what I did and if you do the same thing it will give me validation that I did the right thing. :lol:

Telora needs a shiny new ship. :wink:
    For what it's worth, I'd also say AoY. But that is because my chars have themes and dps and other game play is secondary to me. I'd never use a 23c ship on a non-23c character for instance.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User

I'm in the same boat.

And I love it.

This ship has absolutely blown me away. I mean, I gave it to a char I hadn't really spent much time on (my AoY/TOS char). Have thrown everything I could at improving the build, alhough ran out of resources and have been unable to upgrade all of the beam arrays (currently three XV Epic and the rest stuck at XV Ultra-Rare).

Even so, today managed to acheive the best DPS record I've ever managed on an Eng char:
    [Team] Adel Steiner@Adel-Steiner: SCM - Infected [LR] (S) - [02:57] DMG(DPS) - @Adel-Steiner: 23.33M(136.17K) @reyan01: 13.92M(79.33K) @corking35: 4.35M(25.52K) @Nightops25: 3.91M(22.41K) @jihchop: 2.66M(15.24K)

I know it's not ground breaking, but is a record for me and isn't FAR off my overall best (86k) that my Tactical character managed a few weeks ago!

I did the same thing, I gave mine to my AOY Character because I hardly played her and had no real direction for her. I gave the ship to her to make her fun to play again and it worked quite well.

I haven't had a chance to upgrade yet, I don't have enough Phoenix Kits to really do much of anything. I upgraded the Pets to the Elite Version from the Fleet Starbase but that was about it. Using Mark XII VR beams I still managed to pull 88k in ISA. Not bad at all, just a bit less then I could do with similar mark/rarity cannons.

It's nice to have a beam build with some actual teeth for once. This ship really highlights what a horrible job they have done 'balancing' beam builds.

THIS!

For the first time in heaven knows how long I don't feel like I'm being penalised for using beams. I'll be VERY upset if they get nerfed!

You might want to brace yourself then. I suspect they will be reduced, while many beams will get a boost.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

I'm in the same boat.

And I love it.

THIS!

For the first time in heaven knows how long I don't feel like I'm being penalised for using beams. I'll be VERY upset if they get nerfed!

Oh come on, we had years where beams ruled supreme.

It would be nice if Cryptic were to finally find the right balance here.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    Oh come on, we had years where beams ruled supreme.

Irrelevant.

Just because it used to be broken the other way, that doesn't justify what we have now. As usual, Cryptic went WAY too far in their 'balancing' of Beams.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I agree with sea. It would be nice if they got 'balancing' right and stopped going too far one way or the other.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
This discussion has been closed.