test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Command the Discovery Era Enterprise and D7!

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Big Flight Deck? ;)

Otherwise they'd have to call it a Carrier and that has other implications for weapons mount numbers and other things.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • gav1979gav1979 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    gav1979 wrote: »
    I can't begin to explain how angry I am with this news today.
    You... you actually thought they might end up in the c-store? EL OH EL!

I know I felt dumb after posting, should have known better
  • gav1979gav1979 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    tymersto wrote: »
    gav1979 wrote: »
    Woke up the other day to a post link from a friend who I play STO with and have a mutual love for Discovery. The link? was the youtube video showing the Discovery based Constitutions and the D7, the D7 is the ship I really was looking forward too and this post almost made me wet my pants in excitement.

I got home from work today after being unable to stop talking about the new D7 to read the post that this is a fracking R&D reward ship..... WTF

The rage..... The insult....

Considering that the last roll out of a constitution and D7 was the Temporal versions which go on the exchange for over 1billion because they too are R&D roll rewards, I thought this time they would be if not Zen ships which I would be happy to pay full price for, would be lobi ships.

I can't begin to explain how angry I am with this news today.

Go yell at CBS (Rights Holders) and Cryptic/Perfect World (Greed). Also welcome to modern MMOs.

I know, I know, I felt a bit dumb afterwards posting it, should have known better really.
  • wrathofachilleswrathofachilles Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    I am unsurprised that people are bemoaning these ships being R&D promo, but... there was no way these would show up any other way.

Slight aside: those hoping that laws will change these things... nope. McDonalds essentially runs a gambling event -that should be illegal- with their monopoly game, but they skirt the rules because you can participate for free. All you need do is write in and request a free scratch off or whatever. This game allows people to participate for free in that in game currency that can be acquired "free" for the low low price of half your life grinding can be used to acquire the prizes either through the exchange or conversion to buy the packs themselves. So the game already has the technicalities in place that should protect them from ever having to abandon these gambling systems. </burst bubble>

What I am surprised to see is very little in the way of condemnation for these ships seeming to be the most OP things to ever hit the game. These are miracle worker (most powerful spec) 5/3 (most desirable weapon layout) CARRIERS that are capable of fielding more pets with their exclusive hangar pets than any other ship in the game. These ships truly seem to be what would happen if someone said "You know what? Why don't we throw all the things into one thing?" Oh well... maybe that forum fire is simply raging somewhere else and I must go find it... *readies popcorn*
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Nah it's not OP enough to be considered "the most OP ships in the game." They would need 5 tac consoles (6 including universal) plus weapon system efficiency AND don't forget it would need the ability to use dual cannons to be the most OP thing ever.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    > @wrathofachilles said:
    > I am unsurprised that people are bemoaning these ships being R&D promo, but... there was no way these would show up any other way.
    >
    > Slight aside: those hoping that laws will change these things... nope. McDonalds essentially runs a gambling event -that should be illegal- with their monopoly game, but they skirt the rules because you can participate for free. All you need do is write in and request a free scratch off or whatever. This game allows people to participate for free in that in game currency that can be acquired "free" for the low low price of half your life grinding can be used to acquire the prizes either through the exchange or conversion to buy the packs themselves. So the game already has the technicalities in place that should protect them from ever having to abandon these gambling systems.
    >
    > What I am surprised to see is very little in the way of condemnation for these ships seeming to be the most OP things to ever hit the game. These are miracle worker (most powerful spec) 5/3 (most desirable weapon layout) CARRIERS that are capable of fielding more pets with their exclusive hangar pets than any other ship in the game. These ships truly seem to be what would happen if someone said "You know what? Why don't we throw all the things into one thing?" Oh well... maybe that forum fire is simply raging somewhere else and I must go find it... *readies popcorn*

I agree, I was thinking: "Well now, these might be the new king."
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Big Flight Deck? ;)

Otherwise they'd have to call it a Carrier and that has other implications for weapons mount numbers and other things.

Well, calling it a flight deck cruiser has those same implications. They invented a new ship classification with the Juggernaut... it seems like they're going with "ship class only has significance in terms of the mastery ranks".

Again, I'm not complaining... 5/3 with 2 hangars and a turn rate higher than 6... it's drool-worthy, and I'll be flying one the second they're implemented... just a strange choice of classification. If they gave these weird new hangar pets the House Mokai Raider launch speed I'd probably never use anything else again on my Fed toon.
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    It's a pay a lot to play the best game.
    lol, the Dil/zen exchange is about to hit 400. Might be time for me to sell some zen.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    .. capable of fielding more pets with their exclusive hangar pets than any other ship in the game...

That's purely cosmetic by the sounds of it. Each squadron of 6 is treated as a single hangar pet, sharing the same set of weapons, shields (if any) and hull. It'll look cool, but they won't be operating independently or anything. It's meant to give the feel of the "final battle" from the end of season 2 of Discovery. Hopefully they'll do something similar for the Section 31 command cruiser, since it also fielded a cloud of drones.
    edited June 2019
    (Response to moderated comments removed. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Ok, folks, however you feel about this release, let's not go overboard with the rhetoric, please. Thank you.

PWE would have made a king's ransom off of these ships just by selling them directly from the Zen store, but they know they can make more with a gambling promotion.

R&D promotion ships like this are a PRIME example of why reporting the odds of lockbox drops should be required by law.
    Why make one king's ransom when you can make two?
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Look very nice. Full carrier hangers but not a carrier? OP. Nice Stats. So much stuff on one ship... almost smells of desperation, imo. Not surprised they are in the R&D packs, just disappointed that we have another 1B+ EC ship 99.9% of Trek fans will never get to use. I didn't feel the need to buy anything on that last 30% sale; really don't feel any desire to toss money down an RNG hole.
  • dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    If these ships were available in the c-store as account unlocks for $100 each, I would buy them. It would take a little while to save up for them, but I would buy them.

Same goes for a lot of the previous lockbox ships.

But random slot machine drops? Nope, not one penny.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @questerius said:
    > I like the D7, but i do not like rolling the dice to obtain one of these thus i will not participate in it.

If you have the EC buy one on the exchange.
  • videographer77videographer77 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    > @ltminns said:
    > I already own one or two as I have two unopened T6 Promotion Ship Section Boxes. One being from the first R&D Infinity Promotion in December 2016.
    >
    > Patience is a Virtue.

> @salazarraze said:
    > videographer77 wrote: »
    >
    > This doesn’t look like it’s going to work. According to the blog, only newly purchased R&D boxes opened during the promotion period will allow us the possibility of getting the DISCOprise.
    >
    >
    >
    > This misunderstanding isn't your fault because TBF their blog does not show complete information. Anybody who has already won a "infinity promo ship choice pack" and is sitting on it will be able to select a new Discoprise variant from it. Existing infinity promo packs do have a chance to give you the same "infinity promo ship choice pack" which you can use to choose a Discoprise. What you misunderstand and what the blog means is that non-promo R&D packs DO NOT give out lobi or an "infinity promo ship choice pack."

That's great to know and thank you for clarifying.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    My only complaint is that I wish the new Phasers were available through another method.

I couldn't care less about an ugly Constitution Class, I just want the Phasers.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    I'm curious how the power level of the fighters compares to other fighters given that there are so many more of them per hangar then on a normal hangar pet. Either each fighter is pretty weak individually and it's only with numbers that they do any real damage or it's going be over powered.

As is if one sticks this on a Jupiter and uses its console along with Scramble Fighters and Codinated Assault Traits (imagine 36 Beam Overload 1s going off at once, all with damage buffed) that is going to be impressive.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    I was looking forward to this ship but Miracle Worker seating gets a great big "NO THANKS!!" from me. If it was intel I'd be looking for some way to ensure that I get one.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    > @duasyn said:
    > Look very nice. Full carrier hangers but not a carrier? OP. Nice Stats. So much stuff on one ship... almost smells of desperation, imo. Not surprised they are in the R&D packs, just disappointed that we have another 1B+ EC ship 99.9% of Trek fans will never get to use. I didn't feel the need to buy anything on that last 30% sale; really don't feel any desire to toss money down an RNG hole.

Second FDC like this, the first being the Universe (and Romulan and Klingon equivilants).
  • mamif3mamif3 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    Cries in Universe Class
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    My only complaint is that I wish the new Phasers were available through another method.

I couldn't care less about an ugly Constitution Class, I just want the Phasers.

I have to agree here. I too wish the phasers would be made available through a different method. At least the visual. I'd also like the hangar pets as well. I always head canon it that when I fly a ship with hangar bays, I'm sending out remote controlled craft. With these new Tactical Flyers, I wouldn't have to head canon any more since that's what they are. Either that or they're some form of limited AI.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    I'm curious how the power level of the fighters compares to other fighters given that there are so many more of them per hangar then on a normal hangar pet. Either each fighter is pretty weak individually and it's only with numbers that they do any real damage or it's going be over powered.

As is if one sticks this on a Jupiter and uses its console along with Scramble Fighters and Codinated Assault Traits (imagine 36 Beam Overload 1s going off at once, all with damage buffed) that is going to be impressive.

I imagine each group of 6 equals the firepower of one regular fighter.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    I couldn't care less about an ugly Constitution Class

Well you're in luck, the Kelvin Timeline lockbox is years behind us and not a prize option from the R&D packs anyway. Instead, this time they're adding a really good looking one!
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    I was looking forward to this ship but Miracle Worker seating gets a great big "NO THANKS!!" from me. If it was intel I'd be looking for some way to ensure that I get one.

Why hate on Miracle worker? Its one of, if not the most powerful spec for damage and healing
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Update: they have added the reputation/vanity shield visuals to the bottom of the blog post:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11186423

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Update: they have added the reputation/vanity shield visuals to the bottom of the blog post:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11186423
    Lots of them look really nice. Competitive and Lukari especially IMO.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    LTSer for over 8 years, and I’ve never flown a Constitution... Looks like it’s gonna stay that way...

Nice ship though... mostly true to the original with some modern aesthetics... And I LOVED the PLOT Armor Trait... Clever, very clever...
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
This discussion has been closed.