test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Captain Lorca is the worst Star Fleet captain ever.

Comments

• Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    The Burnham Show

:D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    The shows most obvious acronym according to established history is quite obviously DISC. Lets look at past Star Trek Series...

The Original Star Trek is abbreviated TOS.
    The Next Generation - TNG
    Deep Space Nine - DS9
    Enterprise - ENT
    Voyager - VOY

Going by that history, wouldn't DSC be a more obvious acronym that DISC? All the previous ones are 3 letters long.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    the show's most obvious acronym is banned

And here is where you go wrong.

The shows most obvious acronym according to established history is quite obviously DISC. Lets look at past Star Trek Series...

Deep Space Nine - DS9
    Enterprise - ENT
    Voyager - VOY

None of them have the abbreviation for 'Star Trek' in the name.. not one. It was specifically added by people who dislike Discovery in order to form a derogatory abbreviation that they could use to bash on it.

The acronym was rightfully disallowed, the sooner you accept it the happier you'll be. You're free to call it DISC, DISCO, Discovery, The Burnham Show, whatever..

People's insane obsession with being able to use a banned abbreviation is frankly getting ridiculous.
    I don't want to nitpick but the official abbreviation is DSC without the "I", which IIRC is also present in the shuttles in the series it self with them having DSC n (where n=number of the shuttle) at their side.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    When later generations of people look back in history of the Dominion War, will they know of Benjamin Sisko's dirty actions to bring the Romulans into the war on the side of the Federation and Klingon Empire? o:)

There's lots of dirty laundry that people keep buried and will never, ever be common knowledge.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    Lol, man folks. Don’t you think it’s enough now?!

I remember there is always that awkward moment when I need to confess to a new girlfriend or new bud that I’m a trek fan. Before I can dismiss what’s so awkward about I it’s always discussions like this one that come to mind. :(
    animated.gif
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    DSC, DISC.. whatever.

It's really just.. weird how obsessed people get with the mythological 'official abbreviations.' :lol:

Use either one.. it's all good. Even if you use the banned acronym.. fine, just be honest why you're doing it. It's derogatory.. you know it.. everyone knows it.

That's why it's rightfully blocked.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    DSC, DISC.. whatever.

It's really just.. weird how obsessed people get with the mythological 'official abbreviations.' :lol:

Use either one.. it's all good. Even if you use the banned acronym.. fine, just be honest why you're doing it. It's derogatory.. you know it.. everyone knows it.

That's why it's rightfully blocked.

Ok but it's DSC now right? >:)
    animated.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    tyler002 wrote: »

Deep Space Nine - DS9
    Enterprise - ENT
    Voyager - VOY

Going by that history, wouldn't DSC be a more obvious acronym that DISC? All the previous ones are 3 letters long.
    DIS could work too seing as it's first 3 letters from Discovery and that way if didn't like the show you could say you're dissing it, granted that would be way too mature for those who insist on using the forbidden one. Nevermind that Deep Space Nine also starts with letter "D" and thus the forbidden acronym would be just as valid towards it (and saying "no the show people hate" wouldn't work either as there's plenty of people who dislike DS9 and plenty of people who like Discovery).

That said CBS uses DSC so that's the closest thing we got to an official acronym.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    Great. Finally had the thread back on track and then someone goes and quotes me, totally ignoring that part where I said this subject derails threads, and we're back to being off topic again. Maybe the implication was too subtle. So, I'll explicitly say, let's drop it and return to the topic. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

You.. shut up! :lol::lol:
    Great. Finally had the thread back on track and then someone goes and quotes me, totally ignoring that part where I said this subject derails threads, and we're back to being off topic again. Maybe the implication was too subtle. So, I'll explicitly say, let's drop it and return to the topic. Thank you.

You're right.. I should have known better.. sorry.

On topic..

I thought Lorca's actions in the episode were believable as a Starfleet Captain.. especially one that was 'injured.' I put injured in quotes because of course, the severity of his injury could be hotly debated.

As for the guy left behind, it seemed very much like he made that decision to make the sacrifice which does seem in step with the oath taken as a Starfleet Officer. It struck me as a very noble thing to do and Lorca as Captain had to weigh the sacrifice of that life against the lives of everyone that still stood to be saved. In the end, the rest of the team (minus Patel of course) made it off the planet, so the numbers worked in his favor.

Even if another Captain would have reacted differently, it's already well established that each Trek Captain has handled things in their own unique way. Nothing Lorca did was overtly 'evil' or outside the boundaries of what is expected of him as an Officer and a Captain.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options

You.. shut up! :lol::lol:

You're right.. I should have known better.. sorry.

On topic..

I thought Lorca's actions in the episode were believable as a Starfleet Captain.. especially one that was 'injured.' I put injured in quotes because of course, the severity of his injury could be hotly debated.

As for the guy left behind, it seemed very much like he made that decision to make the sacrifice which does seem in step with the oath taken as a Starfleet Officer. It struck me as a very noble thing to do and Lorca as Captain had to weigh the sacrifice of that life against the lives of everyone that still stood to be saved. In the end, the rest of the team (minus Patel of course) made it off the planet, so the numbers worked in his favor.

Even if another Captain would have reacted differently, it's already well established that each Trek Captain has handled things in their own unique way. Nothing Lorca did was overtly 'evil' or outside the boundaries of what is expected of him as an Officer and a Captain.
    Yeah Th'pev was a case of "needs of the many outweight the needs of the few or the one", the many in this case being the federation citizens who needed as many experienced commanding officers as realitically possible (thus if at all possible Lorca should survive), while the survivors would be the few (they didn't want to see another friend die) or "the one" was Th'pev since he obviously wasn't a death seeker

As for Kerwin he died because he was an idiotic and didn't think standing in the open would make him a target. It should be noted that Patel did tell him to get down but he reacted too late, there was very little anyone but Kerwin himself could done to save him.
  • Options
    slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    > @peterconnorfirst said:
    > Im willing to bet 1Bil EC that the OP will hate the new Picard show as well and anything STO integrates from that show!
    >
    > Any takers?

Nope. I’m using my last bit of faith that today’s writer’s for Picard won’t Tribble it up. And if they do, then maybe I’m just a different generation of Trek like that baby boomer who still rocks out to the 60’s and nothing else.
  • Options
    I well the fact Lorca was injured isn't really up for debate (when you give him a phaser he has unique walk cycle that shows him limping and holding his side) however what can be debated is exactly how serious those injuries were (though they can't be non-existant as the away team has access to tricoders and would have noticed if he was totally faking it).
  • Options
    I think our OP is failing to grasp the fundamental fact that Lorca IS the mission. The whole point of the contingent being sent along with him in the shuttle is to protect him and make sure he gets to a medical facility. He was the commanding officer in the theater. You, the DSC player, are a Starfleet Academy graduate who, due to circumstance, was thrust into command of their own ship. 2409 captains are rping those events as they happened for that Academy graduate.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    edited May 2019
    alaric63 wrote: »
    So, I look forward to see what words you all would to put in my mouth from here.

Translation: I don't care what you say. Nothing is changing my mind.

Starfleet wasn't even aware of the existance of the Mirror Universe at that point in time. Kirk wasn't aware of it before he ran into it 10 years later.
    Admiral Cornwall suspected something was wrong with Lorca, but he managed to keep her from revealing her suspicions. It wasn't until he revealed himself that they knew for a fact that wasn't their Lorca. And Starfleet classified the incident when they got back. At that point in time they probably figured it was a one off event. It wasn't until the incident with the Enterprise 10 years later that they would most likely start considering the Mirror Universe at all because of how difficult it is to cross over.

But what do I know? I'm just some guy sticking words in your mouth so I clearly don't know anything...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    alaric63 wrote: »
    And, yeah, you couldn't even resist speaking for me, with your very first sentence. This is a strange thing. All you have to do is read what I write.

Because that is your attitude. Its pretty clear you're not interested in any differing viewpoints, thus your line talking about people putting "words in your mouth". It has been explained multiple times now, and you brush it off saying we don't know anything. How else do you want people to take your attitude?

As for Starfleet not being able to classify information from itself... ever heard of "Need to know basis, and you don't need to know" or "plausible deniability"? Hell... by the logic you're presenting here, ALL of Starfleet, right down to the cadets at the Academy, should be fully aware of the secret research that was being done regarding the Spore Drive. A classified project.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    nixboox wrote: »
    I thought Enterprise had an episode in the Mirror Universe?

It did... however it wasn't a crossover with any Prime Universe personnel. It was the fallout from the event from the 23rd Century involving the USS Defiant and the Tholians. There were no survivng crew members. Other than the Defiant herself, there was no interaction with any Prime Universe personnel. So no record of contact between them would exist in the 22nd Century Prime Universe.
  • Options
    Now who's putting words in people's mouths...

Think what you want of me. I've already said my peace. If you want to brush it off, go ahead. I'm done.
  • Options
    Why? Because the holo-simulation is a recreation of the events as they happened. At the time of the events, no one knew that it was Mirror Lorca, so it plays that way. Also, it's a game, so the mission has to pull double duty as the actual event for the DSC toon and holo-simulation for all others.

[spoiler] Lorca did a very good job of concealing his MU origin. It wasn't finally revealed until after the Discovery jumped to the MU itself. Lorca would ultimately die there, though. [/spoiler]

Yes, Starfleet can classify information from itself. It's called compartmentalization, and the intelligence community does this even now in the real world.

After those events, Lorca's origins, as well as the existence of the MU, was classified on a need-to-know basis. Need-to-know means that even the topmost eschelon of Starfleet wouldn't know this information unless they had to deal with it directly. This also means that these events would have remained classified up to the current stardate, as everything connected with Discovery was classified after the Section 31/Control incident. The emergence of J'Ula as a threat and the revelation of spore technology would have necessitated declassifying some, but not necessarily all, information from this era.

Now, we all understand that you refuse to watch the show. Your prerogative. But when people are trying to impart to you information from it, that you asked for, please stop being a dismissive TRIBBLE about it. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    The whole concept of classifying information is something I've never liked about the direction Star Trek went. It completely goes against the idea of a more evolved humanity if you can't trust people with information. As we see in today's world, governments classify things to the point where its used as a coverup tool to cover corruption and illegal activities more often than protecting actually sensitive information, and in Star Trek, that's no different, which is sad.

In any case, I don't think Lorca was all that bad. I think he actually showed real leadership at a few points, and there was that absurd scene where he pulled the debris off the girl at great risk to his own life. (Of course maybe there was no risk since the Klingons apparently went to marksmanship training a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. That had to be the hardest scene to watch to me for how incredulously bad it was.)
This discussion has been closed.