Install Arc
Options

Toxic Zone Chat of ESD

13»

Comments

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    patrickngo wrote: »
    you're in the wrong thread-because the whole topic is about the toxicity of Zone Chat.

specifically at ESD. And while the correct answer (blocking) has already been presented several times, the underlying conflicts keep cropping up.

While you're correct that the best way (that is within the individual's control) to deal with toxic zone chat is to a) block individuals, or b) disable zone chat, the OP asked for a "realistic" solution other than that. The only other solution besides those is to report it to a GM when it happens. And really, those are the only 3 "realistic" ways to deal with it. GMs can't be in-game all the time, and they certainly can't be in all channels at all times. If players expect them to do something, then players would need to help by making those reports. Otherwise, it's as you said, block or disable.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    The mistake is leaving Zone Chat enabled. Disable it and your problem goes away. ESD is the Mos Eisley of STO. Beta Quadrant Zone Chat was pretty bad, but that was a while back and because I have Zone Chat disabled, I don't know how it is now. It doesn't to me now.

This is a common problem in MMORPGs. These styles of games have lots of down time and with global chat channels, you have a game-wide audience.

I saw this problem in STO, BDO, etc. WoW is famous for it.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    The mistake is leaving Zone Chat enabled. Disable it and your problem goes away. ESD is the Mos Eisley of STO. Beta Quadrant Zone Chat was pretty bad, but that was a while back and because I have Zone Chat disabled, I don't know how it is now. It doesn't to me now.

This is a common problem in MMORPGs. These styles of games have lots of down time and with global chat channels, you have a game-wide audience.

I saw this problem in STO, BDO, etc. WoW is famous for it.

Infamous might be a better term to refer to WOW here. I've even seen trolling and toxicity in Final Fantasy XIV and Square-Enix is very strict about the language you can use there (some might even say too strict but that's not relevant here).
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,022 Community Moderator
    As a side note on WoW... I once saw someone years ago ask why the US hasn't invaded Mexico in Trade Chat. My response was that it was because they gave us Tacos. Got a good laugh.

Back on topic... I'm sure EVERY MMO has some level of toxicity in one form or another. Whenever you have large amounts of people interacting with each other its bound to happen.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    As a side note on WoW... I once saw someone years ago ask why the US hasn't invaded Mexico in Trade Chat. My response was that it was because they gave us Tacos. Got a good laugh.

Back on topic... I'm sure EVERY MMO has some level of toxicity in one form or another. Whenever you have large amounts of people interacting with each other its bound to happen.
    Yeah, it's a part of human nature, not something exclusive to MMOs.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Yeah, it's a part of human nature, not something exclusive to MMOs.

yeah give someone anonymity(sic) and an audience that can't "flee" and they'll spout what ever comes to their mind without thinking (in general that is I know not everyone is like that, I ain't like that myself, but large enough portion of the population is like that).
This discussion has been closed.