• ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    ryan218 wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Also the only place I am even hearing about this attempt to stop sales is from the midnight's edge circle of morons...which I wouldn't take with mountain of salt.

I'll see your mountain of salt and raise you a PLANET of salt.
    latest?cb=20180404165219
    ;)
    Seriously... ANYTHING Midnight's Edge seems to be highly biased and unreliable.

Let's be fair here...

See, here's the thing Cold. THe difference between Midnight's Edge's bias and the bias of the DSC fans you're talking to here (and, in truth, most of the DSC haters here too) is that we try to be fair and balanced. Bias is unavoidable (which is why my uni has a minimum of six different authors for a history essay), but the point is to attempt to be balanced - to weigh both sides. I, and the other DSC fans to whom I refer (you know who they are) all acknowledge DSCs flaws (the Klingon redesign, the overly dramatic Burnham redemption story, the *twitch* photosensitive eyes...

By contrast, ME doesn't even attempt to find anything positive in DSC. In fact, the YouTube community in general has gotten to the point where I can't even watch a video on the technical merits of the Galaxy-Class without a video on how the Federation is an alien-dominated dystopia and how women/homosexuals/liberals/communists/SJWs have destroyed Star Trek coming up in my recommended list: despite me actively avoiding anything even remotely political or related to DSC (because I don't find angry rants entertaining - I find them depressing: that's how I respond to my own anger - I become depressed).

That's why ME is a hack: he's not a journalist, or a balanced critic - he's a YouTube personality. And balanced opinions don't get views or likes - hate-filled ranting and incoherent screeching about everything bad does. Even Trekyards are guilty of this. The difference is that since the two presenters on Trekyards have different views on DSC, and aren't Sith-level passionate about Star Trek (yes, I know that phrase is heresy), there is an attempt at balance in their content.

(I include Trekyards as an example just to give an example of a balanced anti-DSC party.)

I'm sorry...but I'm not sure where you are getting the essteedee fans are any less biased and rabid than midnight's edge.

I'm not surprised, because that's not what I wrote. I said the DSC fans you are talking to here are trying to be fair and balanced.

Yeah...even on here. There is one person right now being quite rabid and I am ignoring him for now so this thread does not get shut down. I'm sorry...but if you think that person is not completely biases and rabid...yeah...we are not using the words the same way. I admit that there are more on the anti side on here however. But conversely, look at media and you see the rabid pro siders calling people who don't like it for various reason not related to the color or gender of the main character to be racists or sexist. So yes, there is plenty of stupid to go around with this terrible show that isn't even related to the stupid in the show itself...on both sides.

Again, you're missing my point. My point isn't that DSC haters are all biased and DSC fans are all balanced (because I think we can all agree that's rubbish). Heck, that was the explicitly stated reason I used Trekyards as an example in my post, so I don't know how you got the idea that I said all DSC fans are saints from. My point, which I thought was obvious from the context in which I made it, was the difference between what Midnight's Edge specifically does, and what is balanced. Saying ME isn't all bad because both sides are biased is a cop-out: everyone is biased, about everything. The difference is that most critics of DSC, such as Trekyards, at least attempt to give a balanced account. And most of the DSC fans in this thread have acknowledged DSC's faults multiple times on these boards. Midnight's Edge doesn't even make the attempt to pretend to be balanced. I won't rewrite my whole social commentary on why YouTube's a cesspit for one-sided ranting and divisive flaming and extremism - you can reread my original post for that.

Hopefully, that clarifies things and we can move the discussion forward in a productive manner.
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    Yeah...even on here. There is one person right now being quite rabid and I am ignoring him for now so this thread does not get shut down. I'm sorry...but if you think that person is not completely biased and rabid...yeah...we are not using the words the same way

If that is supposed to be yet another sideways attack against me for calling you on your bs i'll say this: put up or shut up. But do not continue to resort to personal insults. I disproved every bs claim you made, as did several other people. and I did so in a very reasonable manner. I provided explanations and proof as to why things are the way they are. You don't listen, you don't seem to understand basic facts of the case and now you're using veiled insults instead of actually addressing anything in a reasonable manner

Also the only place I am even hearing about this attempt to stop sales is from the midnight's edge circle of morons...which I wouldn't take with mountain of salt.

latest?cb=20180404165219
    ;)

Let's be fair here...

See, here's the thing Cold. THe difference between Midnight's Edge's bias and the bias of the DSC fans you're talking to here (and, in truth, most of the DSC haters here too) is that we try to be fair and balanced. Bias is unavoidable (which is why my uni has a minimum of six different authors for a history essay), but the point is to attempt to be balanced - to weigh both sides. I, and the other DSC fans to whom I refer (you know who they are) all acknowledge DSCs flaws (the Klingon redesign, the overly dramatic Burnham redemption story, the *twitch* photosensitive eyes...

By contrast, ME doesn't even attempt to find anything positive in DSC. In fact, the YouTube community in general has gotten to the point where I can't even watch a video on the technical merits of the Galaxy-Class without a video on how the Federation is an alien-dominated dystopia and how women/homosexuals/liberals/communists/SJWs have destroyed Star Trek coming up in my recommended list: despite me actively avoiding anything even remotely political or related to DSC (because I don't find angry rants entertaining - I find them depressing: that's how I respond to my own anger - I become depressed).

That's why ME is a hack: he's not a journalist, or a balanced critic - he's a YouTube personality. And balanced opinions don't get views or likes - hate-filled ranting and incoherent screeching about everything bad does. Even Trekyards are guilty of this. The difference is that since the two presenters on Trekyards have different views on DSC, and aren't Sith-level passionate about Star Trek (yes, I know that phrase is heresy), there is an attempt at balance in their content.

(I include Trekyards as an example just to give an example of a balanced anti-DSC party.)

I'm sorry...but I'm not sure where you are getting the essteedee fans are any less biased and rabid than midnight's edge.

I'm not surprised, because that's not what I wrote. I said the DSC fans you are talking to here are trying to be fair and balanced.

Yeah...even on here. There is one person right now being quite rabid and I am ignoring him for now so this thread does not get shut down. I'm sorry...but if you think that person is not completely biases and rabid...yeah...we are not using the words the same way. I admit that there are more on the anti side on here however. But conversely, look at media and you see the rabid pro siders calling people who don't like it for various reason not related to the color or gender of the main character to be racists or sexist. So yes, there is plenty of stupid to go around with this terrible show that isn't even related to the stupid in the show itself...on both sides.

Again, you're missing my point. My point isn't that DSC haters are all biased and DSC fans are all balanced (because I think we can all agree that's rubbish). Heck, that was the explicitly stated reason I used Trekyards as an example in my post, so I don't know how you got the idea that I said all DSC fans are saints from. My point, which I thought was obvious from the context in which I made it, was the difference between what Midnight's Edge specifically does, and what is balanced. Saying ME isn't all bad because both sides are biased is a cop-out: everyone is biased, about everything. The difference is that most critics of DSC, such as Trekyards, at least attempt to give a balanced account. And most of the DSC fans in this thread have acknowledged DSC's faults multiple times on these boards. Midnight's Edge doesn't even make the attempt to pretend to be balanced. I won't rewrite my whole social commentary on why YouTube's a cesspit for one-sided ranting and divisive flaming and extremism - you can reread my original post for that.

Hopefully, that clarifies things and we can move the discussion forward in a productive manner.

I have no idea where you got the idea that I think ME isn't all bad.

Since you asked.
    latest?cb=20180404165219
    ;)
    Let's be fair here...both sides are highly biased.

That reads an awful lot like you're equating everyone in the debate with with Midnight's Edge. In fact, no where in that post do you restrict that umbrella term by saying there are "okay bits here and there". My point was to qualify the difference between ME and the vast majority of discourse on DSC on this forum by both sides (and Trekyards), which has usually at least tried to suppress their bias either way.

(A point which you still haven't actually addressed by the way, which is ironic given what you complained about CBS's legal team doing.)

latest?cb=20180404165219
    ;)

Let's be fair here...

I have no idea where you got the idea that I think ME isn't all bad.

Since you asked.
    latest?cb=20180404165219
    ;)
    Let's be fair here...both sides are highly biased.

That reads an awful lot like you're equating everyone in the debate with with Midnight's Edge. In fact, no where in that post do you restrict that umbrella term by saying there are "okay bits here and there". My point was to qualify the difference between ME and the vast majority of discourse on DSC on this forum by both sides (and Trekyards), which has usually at least tried to suppress their bias either way.

(A point which you still haven't actually addressed by the way, which is ironic given what you complained about CBS's legal team doing.)

Yes, as a one liner, it does not have details. What...you expect a one liner to have all the nuance? It's a general comment. You think ME is the outlier...I don't agree. I think they are the norm and people like Trekyards is the outlier. On both sides. So this expectation of civil discourse is pretty much a pipe dream. Hell I have to basically ignore somebody in this thread to even be able to have this talk with you now.

FWIW, my takeaway from your little dispute with said poster is you two are basically arguing over whose experience of the legal system is correct. You say your interpretation is correct from personal experience. He says his is from his personal experience (a lot of it, apparently). I can't say which, if either, is the correct interpretation: I fortunately have never had to levy a civil suit (and even if I did, it would be under UK law, not US); and I'm no lawyer. But I can say that said poster has been just as civil to you as you have been to him. In fact, TBH it almost appears to me that you're ignoring him for no other reason than he's contradicting you; and I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees it that way (he obviously does, but then he's the subject of the ignoring). He certainly is not 'white knighting' DSC, as you imply.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @smokebailey said:
    > sthe91 wrote: »
    >
    > May CBS win this lawsuit.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I'm hoping for the opposite
    >
    >
    > for the LITTLE GUYS to win for once.
    >
    > CBS has been so arrogant in this from the start. "We won't sue YOU!" < BAKA JERK OFFS!
    > I wanna see the big bad, corporations FINALLY get one shove up THEIR you know what's, for a change.
    >
    > So I am rooting for this fellow.

This is an idiotic statement. Wanting someone to win a lawsuit because you dislike their opponent is just beyond stupid. Frankly I think this guy is delusional but either way it goes the only important factor is the truth.

No, I said I want to see a big corporation finally get one up THEIRS, for once, as opposed to the little guy. People seem to have LESS rights these days, whilst corporations seem to have more rights, thanks to some GENIUS who got the govt to believe that a corporation is a living thing, with rights and freedoms people are supposed to have.

And when CBS said, in reply to this guy's speaking up, "We won't sue you".....the ARROGANCE on their part, I swear! That alone sounds like they are afraid going on with this lawsuit. I personally find this enjoyable seeing "the man" sweat for once. Bullies think the little guy won't fight back, well, this one IS. And, hopefully, this might start something, telling corporations, and other big shots, "Enough is enough.....KNOW YOUR PLACE! You serve US....not the other way around".

Think of it this way....this is like when Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat to some white guy and told him what he to go do with himself, and that sparked a major change in US history.....time for corporations be told what to go do with themselves. B)

Plus after seeing CBS whining and crying, and what they did in regard to fan films, petty much saying "&*$# YOU, FANS!", I also see this as karma, like how they speak of here. And for once, a judge just told a big corporation, "Put up, or shut up!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFWRiAmB52Y

As one commentor in the video posted:
    To the last, we grapple with thee; From Hell's heart, we stab at thee; For hate's sake, we spit at thee in thine eyes - the Fandom
    hjDayOl.jpg
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I’m all in favor of the little guy sticking it to the big Corp but sometimes the little guy is in the wrong. And it seems like people are siding with Abdin, not because the facts are on his side, but because they don’t like Discovery.
    You can not be sued over coincidence.
    They have to prove Discovery got their ideas from this game.
    If they did shame on them. If they didn’t TRIBBLE that guy.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    And when CBS said, in reply to this guy's speaking up, "We won't sue you".....the ARROGANCE on their part, I swear! That alone sounds like they are afraid going on with this lawsuit. I personally find this enjoyable seeing "the man" sweat for once. Bullies think the little guy won't fight back, well, this one IS. And, hopefully, this might start something, telling corporations, and other big shots, "Enough is enough.....KNOW YOUR PLACE! You serve US....not the other way around".

Think of it this way....this is like when Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat to some white guy and told him what he to go do with himself, and that sparked a major change in US history.....time for corporations be told what to go do with themselves. B)

Plus after seeing CBS whining and crying, and what they did in regard to fan films, petty much saying "&*$# YOU, FANS!", I also see this as karma, like how they speak of here. And for once, a judge just told a big corporation, "Put up, or shut up!"

If something is going to spark a major change in US history, it will involve the giant tech companies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkxg03z2PEo
    > @coldnapalm said:
    > khan5000 wrote: »
    >
    > I’m all in favor of the little guy sticking it to the big Corp but sometimes the little guy is in the wrong. And it seems like people are siding with Abdin, not because the facts are on his side, but because they don’t like Discovery.
    > You can not be sued over coincidence.
    > They have to prove Discovery got their ideas from this game.
    > If they did shame on them. If they didn’t TRIBBLE that guy.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Coincidence is called concurrent development. And funny story...from working at ILM for a few years...they actually keep all their old development notes specifically for instances like this. When somebody claims something was copied, they pull out those development notes to prove how they came to the story they did. Then the case get's dismissed. So if CBS did not do it, they should have these development notes...especially for an ongoing series as they should be consulted for future episodes unless the project head is a god and can remember every little detail of the project at all times. All they need to have this case go away was to show those notes. So yeah really, these cases going to even discovery isn't that common. And really, these cases happen more often then you think. Most are not reported...but it is common. So yeah, this even getting to that is kinda rare...and really sends red flags in my head.

Playing devils advocate here...let’s say CBS didn’t steal the idea and that CBS does have production notes. Would their lawyer recommend them A) show the notes or B) sit on the notes because the burden is on him to prove we stole from him and while we know we didn’t steal from him they may find that Joe Intern that once brought Bryan Fuller his latte voted on the game.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I’m all in favor of the little guy sticking it to the big Corp but sometimes the little guy is in the wrong. And it seems like people are siding with Abdin, not because the facts are on his side, but because they don’t like Discovery.
    You can not be sued over coincidence.
    They have to prove Discovery got their ideas from this game.
    If they did shame on them. If they didn’t TRIBBLE that guy.

No, it seems, to me, this guy made this stuff in his game, and the similarities to Disco is too close to be coincidental.
    And, seeing how lying sacks of you know that corporations have been in the past....anything corporations say, I hold highly questionable...and Hollywood stealing ideas from folks is not an old story.

So, to me, CBS is like the boy who cried wolf.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    starkaos wrote: »

Plus after seeing CBS whining and crying, and what they did in regard to fan films, petty much saying "&*$# YOU, FANS!", I also see this as karma, like how they speak of here. And for once, a judge just told a big corporation, "Put up, or shut up!"

If something is going to spark a major change in US history, it will involve the giant tech companies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkxg03z2PEo

Well, many things, before, were done by regular people, not govts or corporations. And big corporations and business often stagnates the world, not improve it.....otherwise we'd have been off oil yonks ago.
    And those tech companies, more than likely, just take credit for achievements while workers, who did it, get nothing.

Funny, I don't use google for searches....never trusted 'em.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    Yeah, this has gone far enough. Thread closed.
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
    http://axamonitor.com/doku.php?id=tardigrades_steam&fbclid=IwAR3t-CmeQ2J9H8D0y3OV27OQtAh5cLArDGKapJdvztIXpfthr-WWxvWug90

In a December letter to the judge arguing against the defense’s intention to move to dismiss the case, Abdin’s lawyer, John Johnson claimed, “Hundreds of thousands of interested fans viewed the [Tardigrades game’s] treatment, thereby establishing a question of fact as to the defendants’ access.”

No Evidence

However, neither Abdin’s legal complaint nor this letter offered evidence substantiating his claimed hundreds of thousands of fans, prompting CBS attorney Hook Wang Hwang to criticize Abdin’s ”bare and speculative allegations“ that any of the defendants had the access to actually copy Abdin’s work. To establish access Abdin must “plausibly allege either: (1) a particular chain of events or a link from his work to the creators of the allegedly infringing work, or (2) that plaintiff’s work was widely disseminated.”

Challenging Anas Abdin

It was that lack of evidence that Schofield appeared to question in ordering discovery, essentially challenging the plaintiff to demonstrate with evidence that Discovery’s creators had accessed, viewed or voted on the Tardigrades game prospectus on Steam.

This was not a good thing for Abdin. I think people are letting their Discovery hate cloud their judgment. CBS can't be sued for coincidence. Thats why the judge pretty much said "Prove they stole it or I'm dismissing."
    Your pain runs deep.
This discussion has been closed.