Notes from the latest weekly livestream

Comments

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Some notes from Cryptic's latest weekly live stream about upcoming content
    -2018 was one of the best, probably the 2nd best, year STO has ever had
    What do you (or the streamers) mean when you say "best?"

When it's a studio saying it, it's going to be with respect to the game's performance which you can quantify both through economic activity and population. We can assume that Cryptic is looking at both in saying that STO had a very good year in 2018.

Now of course a player could approach that topic and evaluate best years as favorite, but that subjectivity isn't easily comparable to what others would view as "best." When dealing with the term generally, assume performance indices.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    Well, I'm not suggesting that you, or anyone else for that matter, shouldn't be upset, even angry, about not having your favorite/preferred ship in-game as T6. What I am saying is that there is no collusion on the devs' part to keep specific ships out of the game or not upgrade them to T6.

Now, I'd prefer that this thread not be derailed and turned into another "I want my ___!" type of argument. There are already threads for those, and if not, make one. Let's please return to the topic. Thank you. :smile:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    *reads first post*

Hmm, well in my head cannon, Disco is the alternate universe.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Besides which, even mentioning T wink wink nudge nudge say no more, say no more could get the Thread closed. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Thank you Som...

I will just use my Chromebook to listen...
    I have extension cords to untangle and coil up, now.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    artan42 wrote: »
    Source?
    It was Geko's implication in the livestream on why they can't use some TAS content.

Gecko's implication is that CBS considers parts of TAS too silly to be canon but TOS' lack of continuity isn't enough to decanonise that show?

Yeah, I'm going to wait for CBS to say that.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,022 Community Moderator
    For the Kzinti Cryptic would probably need a separate license from Larry Niven. Though that didn't stop Wing Commander :)

Actually the Kilrathi are not the Kzinti. And as a Wing Commander fan, I'm familiar with the Kilrathi. Hell... I'd love to see Wing Commander make a comeback. Was a great Space Combat Sim.

If that were the case... ANY feline species would be untouchable because Larry Niven. That would include the Caitians, a canon Trek species that look nothing like the Kzinti.
    The concept of a feline species isn't unique. What matters is that in that episode of TAS we SPECIFICALLY had the Kzinti. Not a generic feline species, but the legit Kzinti.

Anyways... a couple details that CBS pribably says is non canon from TAS is the forcefield style EV suits where you're just wearing a belt with an energy field and you can go out into space, and the infamous Inflatable Enterprise Decoy. The animators were probably too lazy to draw and animate an EV suit.

shield_belt.jpg
    splash_780-1686-720x340.jpg

Those are rather ridiculous.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Anyways... a couple details that CBS pribably says is non canon from TAS is the forcefield style EV suits where you're just wearing a belt with an energy field and you can go out into space, and the infamous Inflatable Enterprise Decoy. The animators were probably too lazy to draw and animate an EV suit.

They are (no more so that a lot of the space magic in VGR but hey ho) but there's not been a valid source that says that what CBS have done never mind which parts.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    And what does God need with a Starship?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Actually the Kilrathi are not the Kzinti. And as a Wing Commander fan, I'm familiar with the Kilrathi. Hell... I'd love to see Wing Commander make a comeback. Was a great Space Combat Sim.

If that were the case... ANY feline species would be untouchable because Larry Niven. That would include the Caitians, a canon Trek species that look nothing like the Kzinti.
    The concept of a feline species isn't unique. What matters is that in that episode of TAS we SPECIFICALLY had the Kzinti. Not a generic feline species, but the legit Kzinti.

Lets not forget the episode where they go to the center of the galaxy, find a bizarre portal to another universe of LITERAL MAGIC, not even Q ascendant power stuff but LITERAL MAGIC, and get put on trial for the Salem Witch Trails.

Which was, OFC, directly contradicted by ST:V, since we all know god is at the center of the galaxy.
    I don't see those as contradictory. The being imprisoned on that planet was imprisoned there by someone. Maybe it's an exile from that other world?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Alright! They redid my favorite Fed mission!

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    All the shows have dived to the depths of absurdity at times, and contradicted each other as well as themselves.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    All the shows have dived to the depths of absurdity at times, and contradicted each other as well as themselves.
    Voyager make no sense and contradicts pretty much every other Trek show regarding warp speeds.

Back in TNG
    -The Warp 9.3 Galaxy class was reaching planets 2,000LY from Earth in fairly short time
    -Picard said the Federation covered 8,000LY
    -And, while not consistent with the above, Data mentions that it would take 2 years to get back to the nearest starbase from the J-25 system where they met the Borg, which was 7,000Ly away.

Voyager on the other hand, an Intrepid class starship, which is rated to go 9.975 and hold it for periods of 12 hours, said that it would take 70+ years to go the 75,000LY back to Earth.
    -If we go by the data given by Data, it should have only taken them 21.4 years to get back had they only gone Warp 9.3, and never gone up to max speed, less if they used max speed as much as safely possible.
    -If we go by Enterprise, where they went the 53ish LY from Earth to Qo'nos in 4 days, at warp 4.6, It should have taken Voyager only 15.5 years to get back to Earth at warp 4.6.
    Both of these numbers are based on if they had gotten no boosts, and flown through the entirety of both the Delta and Beta Quadrants to get home.

However, since they used the Borg Transwarp Hub to skip the last 29,000LY back to Earth, and out of the 46,000LY they did travel through they got boosts through 33,300LY of it
    -Using TNG's warp 9.3 speeds they should have reached the Borg Transwarp Hub in 3.6 years
    -Using ENT's warp 4.6 speeds they should have reached the Borg Trasnwarp Hub in 2.6 years

Voyager, despite being the fastest ship in Starfleet at the time, has some of the slowest warp speed calculations across the entire franchise for the sake of drama.
    Not the slowest. In fact, of all the warp speed calculations listed at Memory-Alpha, Voyager has the fastest, in the episode "Emanations" traveling 0.6 ly in 2-5 seconds at warp 7. This is 4-10 million times the speed of light. At that speed, they could've made it back in a week. :D

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Warp_factor

All the ships in all the shows flew at the speed of plot, the numbers are all over the place (the Enterprise example you're using there was contradicted by a factor of 100, in the same episode). It's just more noticeable on Voyager because the premise of the show was them going somewhere specific at a known distance, not just planets-of-the-week.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I don't see those as contradictory. The being imprisoned on that planet was imprisoned there by someone. Maybe it's an exile from that other world?
    ST:V directly states no one has made it past the barrier to the center of the galaxy, and ST:V happens after TAS.

Also TAS shows a bizarre swirly vortex of energy, in ST:V, the center of the galaxy is just a planet.
    Enh. You can just write it off as the TAS location being a location in the galactic core, and not the exact center.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    Honestly I am glad that she wasn't present in it this time.
  • Options
    @somtaawkhar Thanks for doing this. I tried but could not get through the video. To me it was mostly idle chat meant for someone else. Who is a computer expert or something. ???

You are able to sort out the real news from the chaff for people like me. And engage the Star Trek fans in the crowd who play this game. You are giving them a place to delve into the details. Good work.

• Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    For the Kzinti Cryptic would probably need a separate license from Larry Niven. Though that didn't stop Wing Commander :)

shield_belt.jpg
    splash_780-1686-720x340.jpg

the belt, to me, is more advanced....more than a bulky, cumbersome space suit.

the belt is pretty creative, inventive. I like it. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Personally, I'd prefer the EV suit. Low tech, but more practical.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    I can see that belt shield evolving into STO's personal shields. Remember that Worf jury rigged a personal shield out of a communicator on the holodeck, but Starfleet didn't use personal shields as standard equipment until STO. It also doesn't make sense to go from EV suit to fancy EV belt shield then back to EV suit.

Also... how is that shield going to keep the user warm, let alone breathing?
  • Options
    ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    If even a fifth of what's on that list becomes reality this year I'm likely to be a very happy gamer.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    We will probably get that cut Leeta Episode wedged into a totally different Arc like we did with that Sela Episode `Survivor' original released in the 'New Frontiers' Arc before moving it to the 'Yesterday's War' later.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.