test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Who would you serve under if you could?

Comments

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Sisko
    > @flopkes#5928 said:
    > I must say that I’m quite curious to meet Prime Lorca. Will he be as interesting a character as mirror Lorca? I wonder...

Unless the trailers have said otherwise (I haven't gotten around to watching one yet), it's a fair bet that Prime Lorca is already dead due to Mirror Lorca switching places with him.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • flopkes#5928 flopkes Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Picard
    starswordc wrote: »
    Unless the trailers have said otherwise (I haven't gotten around to watching one yet), it's a fair bet that Prime Lorca is already dead due to Mirror Lorca switching places with him.

I was under that same impression at first, but things don't seem to be that definitive for Prime Lorca anymore:
    - the epilogue of the novel Star trek Discovery Drastic Measures gives some clues (so I was been told, I haven't read the book yet though);
    - Jason Isaacs himself hinted a few times that we haven't seen the last of Lorca yet.
    -
    It's all speculative of course, but I'm keeping my hopes up (because Lorca really was a great character for Discovery in my own opinion).

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Lorca
    Lorca can get the best out of those under him, look at how he built the Discovery crew into an effective fighting unit from a bunch of scientists.
    Lorca could have killed them all but chose to spare them just out of respect.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
      Archer
      Archer, to experience space travel for the first time and truly go where no one has before.
    • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      Sisko
      Donatra? We hardly saw her in command at all - might as well have "Token female Romulan commander" since Romulans seemed to have a lot of females in charge, going back to TOS.

I don't think you know what 'token' means.
      angrytarg wrote: »
      Jadzia Dax 😏

Wait, what kind of service are we talking about?

Scrubbing out plasma conduits. Why, explain exactly what you were thinking of.​​
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
      Sisko
      As much as Picard is my favourite Captain, Sisko would be the better to serve under. Picard always kept a professional distance from those under his command, but Sisko was down in the trenches (sometimes literally) with his crewmen. Sisko was a Captain who'd always have your back. And he did this without sacrificing discipline.

Now, this might also be the difference between commanding a crew of 1000 and a crew of 50 (Sisko's best performances were IMO when he was in command of the Defiant). We get an idea that Picard had a more laid-back command style aboard Stargazer, which had a smaller complement.
    • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      Obviously Q. There is a certain chance of getting killed while serving under the others. With Q, all that matters is his whims of whether someone survives or not. One of his crewmembers might die a lot, but at least they will survive even if there is a chance of remembering every horrific death.
    • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      > @artan42 said:
      >
      >
      >
      > Scrubbing out plasma conduits. Why, explain exactly what you were thinking of.​​

You are not going to believe this, but that's sorta exactly what I was thinking of. Seriously.
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
      Sisko
      > @artan42 said:
      >
      >
      >
      > Scrubbing out plasma conduits. Why, explain exactly what you were thinking of.

You are not going to believe this, but that's sorta exactly what I was thinking of. Seriously.

I'm really struggling for a double entendre. There must be one.​​
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
      Janeway
      My wife wants to know "Why Riker is not on the list?"
      And now I'm thinking: Why isn't Geordi La Forge on the list?
      f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
      Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
    • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
      Kor
      I'm going to go with Kor. Sure, he might order you into a suicide mission to gain a bit of personal glory, but he's the kind of captain who won't give a TRIBBLE about how many hours you worked so long as your job is done.
      brian334 wrote: »
      I'm going to go with Kor. Sure, he might order you into a suicide mission to gain a bit of personal glory, but he's the kind of captain who won't give a TRIBBLE about how many hours you worked so long as your job is done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un95f32gZsg
    • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
      Kor
      Zapp Brannigan wasn't on the list or I'd have voted for him! (As long as I didn't have to be Leela or Kif.)
    • jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
      edited December 2018
      Picard
      I would love to be on the TNG crew. It was a hard decision, blazing a trail with Archer sounded fun but his Enterprise sucks, Janeway is cool if you have nerves of steel like Tuvok or Chakotay...I couldn't handle her being the boss. It was even more difficult to turn down Sisko, but Picard won.

The TNG crew is just too darn good to pass up. First off its the Flagship of the Federation, the big dog. The ship that stared the Romulans in the face for first time in 50 plus years, taken down the Borg Cube which almost wiped out Earth. The crew also is cool. Picard is like the philosopher poet that could give Yoda a serious run for his money, Riker's poker games would be entertaining, Data would be a total riot to hang out with, Geordi would be guy you talk shop with in Ten Forward. Worf's holodeck programs sound interesting, granted I would let him get it out of his system first, then I would join in. (if this is TNG Season 2 Worf). Dr. Crusher is great but Dr. Paulaski I think would be more fun to hang out with or argue with. Troi is meh in my humble opinion, I can't get over the fact she can see in my head, I mean its one thing for a computer to track and read you but a telepath? No thanks.

However if the Enterprise was full, Sisko totally would be runner up.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
      jake477 wrote: »
      Troi is meh in my humble opinion, I can't get over the fact she can see in my head, I mean its one thing for a computer to track and read you but a telepath? No thanks.

Troi is an empath with extremely limited telepathic abilities. The only people she seems to be able to telepathically communicate with is Riker and her mother. So the worst she could do is know when you are having inappropriate thoughts. It would be far worse when her mother is around or being invited to a Betazoid wedding for some people.
      edited December 2018
      > @artan42 said:
      >
      > I'm really struggling for a double entendre. There must be one.​​

I thought you used that example already as a double entendre. It was a extremely accurate accident then. But I'm not allowed to explain it without risking a permaban 😂
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
      Sisko
      > @artan42 said:
      >
      > I'm really struggling for a double entendre. There must be one.

I thought you used that example already as a double entendre. It was a extremely accurate accident then. But I'm not allowed to explain it without risking a permaban 😂

How dare you! My mind is as clean as a clean thing.​​

#TASforSTO

• risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
      Lorca
      Eh... ok. Lorca could not be a Tribble, that's a new filter-thingy apparently.

I wanted to say that he could be a not-so-nice-person.
      Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
      edited December 2018
      Picard was a seasoned battlefield commander and in charge of the flagship of the UFP. This whole "in war everything is different" argument is nonsensical as the same ships are commanded by the same people who are always prepared to do everything the situation requires. Starfleet does not work differently in war than it does in peacetime.
      lFC4bt2.gif
      Sisko
      And people do realise Lorca is not Lorca right? He's Mirror Lorca, his only goal is retaking the Terran Empire, he has no interest in the Klingon War or the Federation or anything.​​

#TASforSTO

• risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
      Lorca
      artan42 wrote: »
      And people do realise Lorca is not Lorca right? He's Mirror Lorca, his only goal is retaking the Terran Empire, he has no interest in the Klingon War or the Federation or anything.​​

Yes, I assumed that the option of Lorca is Mirror Lorca - as we haven't seen Prime Lorca.

Though I wouldn't say that he has no interest in the Federation. His concern of saving it, seemed genuine. Don't forget that the Terrans, in some cases, were pretty racist. It's probably something of 'well, they may be humans from another universe, but they're still humans and no lowly aliens'.

Or maybe I'm mixing up Paxton's Terra Prime from Enterprise with the Terran universe now, but I always thought that the Mirror Universe would be a warning of what we would become if Paxton had had his way.
      Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
      > @risian6#1997 said:
      > angrytarg wrote: »
      >
      > Picard was a seasoned battlefield commander and in charge of the flagship of the UFP. This whole "in war everything is different" argument is nonsensical as the same ships are commanded by the same people who are always prepared to do everything the situation requires. Starfleet does not work differently in war than it does in peacetime.
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > When making that distinction, I'm mainly thinking of how difficult it is to imagine Picard lying and killing just because it would be better for the Federation (ie, what Sisko did in the episode with Vreenak). Because I've never seen him doing it.
      >
      > Sure, Picard might go as far as Sisko did when put in the same situation. But they never were in the same situations.

I don't think Picard would. He wasn't one to take the easy way out. Sisko was deeply flawed and troubled. Picard was as well after Locutus and he was ready to go and eradicate a people but he wouldn't lie or manipulate. He had pointed out the truth even if it was counter to his own ideals.
      lFC4bt2.gif
    • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited December 2018
      Sisko
      > @angrytarg said:
      > Picard was a seasoned battlefield commander and in charge of the flagship of the UFP. This whole "in war everything is different" argument is nonsensical as the same ships are commanded by the same people who are always prepared to do everything the situation requires. Starfleet does not work differently in war than it does in peacetime.

Apparently it does: you'd never catch Sisko deliberately dropping his shields while in firing range of an enemy ship or bringing civilians into a war zone. The thread topic is "Who would you prefer to serve as crew for?", not "Who is your favorite captain out of universe?" (My answer happens to be the same either way, because that happens to be how I think about the question to begin with.)

Sure, Picard commanded the Federation flagship. But based on his behavior while in command, I often question whether he deserved to. And Picard's problems were not Sisko's. Picard NEVER fought in a full-scale war, just dueled the odd alien of the week (he was apparently flying a desk for the better part of the war with the Cardassians, which is appropriate considering his aforementioned stupidity at using deflectors). Sisko was in command of a front line naval base for seven years, two of them during a declared war with a peer opponent. A real, sustained war where you're taking hundreds or thousands of casualties a week is qualitatively and quantitatively different from minor border spats and random Borg incursions, and it has very different effects on people.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
      Sisko
      I think the people of Setlik III would take issue with the term 'border spat'. ;)

The reason Picard was likely flying a desk most of the Cardassian War would be the Battle of Maxia. From what we can gather from the show, following the Stargazer Court Martial, Picard was assigned to the Enterprise-D. We know the Galaxy-Class construction program took a long time, partly because it appears Starfleet started building it while Utopia Planetia were still working on the design of the propulsion system (which seems on par in terms of stupidity with assigning brand-new top-of-the-line air defence destroyers to tropical stations with unfiltered engines, not that that's ever happened /sarcasm). It's not ridiculous to suppose that Picard was basically furloughed waiting for his next command to actually leave Spacedock.
      edited December 2018
      risian6 wrote: »
      Or maybe I'm mixing up Paxton's Terra Prime from Enterprise with the Terran universe now, but I always thought that the Mirror Universe would be a warning of what we would become if Paxton had had his way.

Personally, I think that the Mirror Universe is a warning of what we would become if Colonel Green had his way. When humanity is at its lowest point in history seems more like the point where everything can drastically change. Killing hundreds of thousands of people suffering from radiation sickness so they don't pass their flawed mutated genetics to the next generation is racial purity and racial purity leads to racism.