test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What Discovery Ship would you like to see released next?

2»

Comments

• Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    None. There's other Star Trek ships which I would rather see released in T6 form first.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I'd vote for a DSC skin for the Connie, because it is the only ship class not entirely anachronistic to established eras (none of the ships look remotely like the Kelvin or TOS design lineages). You can, by the way, call it "Wartime refit" because you can do whatever you like, but it doesn't make sense. The DSC Connie is not a refit of the TOS connie, the shows are, visually, incompatible (and out-of-universe acknowledged to intentionally be this way).​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    With the release of the Europa/Nimitz-Class and since the USS Sebrova was a Shepard-Class, I wanted to ask folks what playable ship they'd like to see next from Discovery.

For visual reference only I'm not here to start or see any arguments: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/discovery_federation.htm

Astris Scientia is a non canon source so i can't use that. Apart from that, i will vote for the Shepard Class as well. it has that typical federation style to it, flowing curves, no sharp bits anywhere with a large saucer shape.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I'd vote for a DSC skin for the Connie, because it is the only ship class not entirely anachronistic to established eras (none of the ships look remotely like the Kelvin or TOS design lineages). You can, by the way, call it "Wartime refit" because you can do whatever you like, but it doesn't make sense. The DSC Connie is not a refit of the TOS connie, the shows are, visually, incompatible (and out-of-universe acknowledged to intentionally be this way).

With the exception of the Walker all of the other ships (or at least the Crossfield, Shepard, Nimitz, and Cardenas who all share nacelle designs) are newer than the Conni and are succeeded by the TMP era ships.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    With the exception of the Walker all of the other ships (or at least the Crossfield, Shepard, Nimitz, and Cardenas who all share nacelle designs) are newer than the Conni and are succeeded by the TMP era ships.

I left this tab open for an entire week to reply to it now pig-2.gif

The Crossfield is newer, the other ships sharing it's nacelle design though we have no idea. If (big if) registries are to go by, no they aren't. Then we have no way of telling. The reason we have those nacelles is, of course, out-of-universe - the design was supposed to be radically different to not look like anything that came before. However, the Connie did not get rectangular nacelles, it kept the "NX-esque" form but the ship doesn't make a dated impression. On the contrary, with the spiffy uniforms and all it seems like it's supposed to be state-of-the-art and the other ships are current ships of the line or at least build after a dated design (but might be new vessels). I think Season 2 will give us a glimpse at this and see whether round nacelles in the TOS era is something that even DSC uses, but even if they don't being a acknowledged visually incompatible installation of Trek there shouldn't be too much thought put into it. It's just a skin put on, not any indication of logical progression.

Which I think is a shame, because those ships break the lineage of the established aesthetics. The NX refit was suppposed to have TOS-ified parts in it, leading to the Daedalus and so on. I would have liked that (in general, it's hard to believe that I now wish for ENT to be back we got DSC pig-2.gif ). These ships neither look like the Kelvin nor like TOS. Regardless of canon or not, I think it's a shame pig-12.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    T6 Malachowski ?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    thay8472 wrote: »
    T6 Malachowski ?

that T1 thing handles worse than a double-decker bus running around on rims. if a t6 version comes, it better be more agile.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Sech and Shepard Class would be two I hope for. The Europa/Nimitz is okay, but I don't like her as much as the Shepard.

And the Sech looks pretty cool.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    T6 Malachowski ?

that T1 thing handles worse than a double-decker bus running around on rims. if a t6 version comes, it better be more agile.

It's relatively slow turning at Tier 1 because you're a Level 1-10 character with Mark I gear. Add all the bonuses you get on your turn rate from skills and better items, an the ship will be very agile.

The Malachowski has a turn rate of 11 and an Inertia Rating of 50 which is better than the Vor'Ral (T6 Vor'Cha), which is a Klingon Battlecruiser that can easily support dual heavy cannons and also better than the Arbiter (Tier 6 Avenger).
    It's really just an AoD Miranda.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    With the release of the Europa/Nimitz-Class and since the USS Sebrova was a Shepard-Class, I wanted to ask folks what playable ship they'd like to see next from Discovery.

For visual reference only I'm not here to start or see any arguments: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/discovery_federation.htm

I would love to see NON DISCo ships tiger-2.gif​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    I'll say the Cardenas, it's the best looking one IMO and it is probably the most likely to get a hangar bay if such were ever possible
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    The ships are one of the two or three things I like about TRIBBLE. So, it's hard to choose since I like all of the Starfleet vessels seen so far. The Hoover got my vote, since I could only pick one.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    azrael605 wrote: »
    You are missing my point. When those classes were introduced they used TMP warp effects, when they were used in another Trek production they used the warp effects for that series, not TMP. Thus Discovery ships in STO should be using STO warp effects as a franchise precedent.

Franchise precedent?
    Um... last I checked, TOS characters were all using the TOS warp effects on everything. So having Discovery characters use their own is fine. Everyone has their own warp effects. The fact that the big 4 of the 25th Century all use pallet swap variants of the same effect doesn't mean ALL of them have to without question.

The only real anomalies are the Kelvin ships using their own warp animations, showing that they can to a degree tie the effects to a ship. Granted the Kelvin Timeline effects are a variation of the default effects... but still...

Frankly I wouldn't mind if they made the Sarco, Crossfield, and Walker have the Discovery warp effects by default as well instead of tied to faction.

Also... the reason TMP era ships were using TNG warp effects in DS9 was because those particular ships were using modern warp drives rather than 23rd Century ones. Basically its like putting a modern engine in an old Model T Ford. Its not the looks, its whats under the hood.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    T6 Vo'quv, Karfi, the K'vort, the only canon ship not in the freaking game yet...
    oh wait you said Discovery.. my bad. yeah we need all these 200 year old ships be in game and more powerful than the latest starfleet designs.. carry on
    Spock.jpg

This discussion has been closed.