test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Jayce's Interstellar Report: Starfleet Crash Mobilizing Walker Class Starships

2»

Comments

  • sophlogimosophlogimo Member Posts: 6,477 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Captain Georgiou liked the retro lateral transporters, so she kept them. Would the rest of have more up-to-date transporters instead?[...]

    That's not what she said. She said that Starfleet is phasing out the design as well, but that USS Shenzou is an old ship, so she still has the old equipment. (But it doesn't bother her that much, as she likes her ship and it works fine.)

    Considering that was about 4 years before the 'Battle of the Binary Stars', your argument is moot.

    My argument for or against what, exactly? I was just stating the facts from the show.
    They would have already transitioned by then if she was all for the upgrade. And as the blog stated: "Many of them were only recently deactivated or are currently in the process of standing down."

    At most it would take a few weeks for engineers and technicians to switch out the transporter system, and it wouldn't be one at a time. So in four years time, most if not all Walker-class ships would have transitioned by that time. Unless the captain of the ship requested otherwise.

    I don't imagine Starfleet in the TV show to work like an MMO, so no, there is absolutely no reason to assume the captain could even make that decision.
    DPS derives from gear, and gear alone.
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    You're guaranteed to get lobi with every box you open so no it is not a lottery.

    That's just slimy lawyer type reasoning.
    People don't buy lottery tickets to win $2 they buy them for the millions.

    It is a statement of fact with regards to acquiring Lobi Store ships. There is no lottery involved when it comes to acquiring a ship form the Lobi store. All that is necessary is time. Either time to get EC for a purchase from the Exchange or time and money to get the Lobi for a direct purchase. Either way you will get the Lobi ship.
  • azrael605azrael605 Member Posts: 9,491 Arc User
    > @centurian821 said:
    > dracounguis wrote: »
    >
    > centurian821 wrote: »
    >
    > You're guaranteed to get lobi with every box you open so no it is not a lottery.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That's just slimy lawyer type reasoning.
    > People don't buy lottery tickets to win $2 they buy them for the millions.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It is a statement of fact with regards to acquiring Lobi Store ships. There is no lottery involved when it comes to acquiring a ship form the Lobi store. All that is necessary is time. Either time to get EC for a purchase from the Exchange or time and money to get the Lobi for a direct purchase. Either way you will get the Lobi ship.

    You can even use EC to buy the keys to open boxes and get Lobi, or buy the keys with Dillzen and cut the money part right out.
    There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

    One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.

    Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.

    Robert Heinlein
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @centurian821 said:
    > dracounguis wrote: »
    >
    > centurian821 wrote: »
    >
    > You're guaranteed to get lobi with every box you open so no it is not a lottery.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That's just slimy lawyer type reasoning.
    > People don't buy lottery tickets to win $2 they buy them for the millions.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It is a statement of fact with regards to acquiring Lobi Store ships. There is no lottery involved when it comes to acquiring a ship form the Lobi store. All that is necessary is time. Either time to get EC for a purchase from the Exchange or time and money to get the Lobi for a direct purchase. Either way you will get the Lobi ship.

    You can even use EC to buy the keys to open boxes and get Lobi, or buy the keys with Dillzen and cut the money part right out.

    That only really works for ultra-high end players (most of which seem to be whales anyway) who can casually drop hundreds of millions of EC without straining their resources. Have you ever seen what a key costs on the exchange? And you need dozens of the things at the very least to get enough lobi that way from what I have heard. Most people I have talked to have said it is almost always cheaper to buy ships directly with EC than to convert it to lobi like that.
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Captain Georgiou liked the retro lateral transporters, so she kept them. Would the rest of have more up-to-date transporters instead?[...]

    That's not what she said. She said that Starfleet is phasing out the design as well, but that USS Shenzou is an old ship, so she still has the old equipment. (But it doesn't bother her that much, as she likes her ship and it works fine.)



    Considering that was about 4 years before the 'Battle of the Binary Stars', your argument is moot.

    My argument for or against what, exactly? I was just stating the facts from the show.
    They would have already transitioned by then if she was all for the upgrade. And as the blog stated: "Many of them were only recently deactivated or are currently in the process of standing down."

    At most it would take a few weeks for engineers and technicians to switch out the transporter system, and it wouldn't be one at a time. So in four years time, most if not all Walker-class ships would have transitioned by that time. Unless the captain of the ship requested otherwise.

    I don't imagine Starfleet in the TV show to work like an MMO, so no, there is absolutely no reason to assume the captain could even make that decision.


    I got the impression that her "choice" was that she simply did not push the issue to get an upgrade to the new type because she liked the horizontal one already installed. You would be surprised how slow upgrades can be in arriving if you do not ride the system and kick up a fuss over it in the real world, especially for ships assigned to low priority duties like Shenzhou apparently was.

    Slightly off subject, but one thing that would have been nice to see would have been an updated version of the TOS Klingon "shimmer" style transporter effect.


  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 47,886 Arc User
    Average price of a key is about 4.2 mil.

    I'm no whale, so buying keys is not common. Maybe manage 1 a week depending on how much ECs I rake in with Ferengi Admiralty.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • azrael605azrael605 Member Posts: 9,491 Arc User
    Phoenix, I am no whale, I can't even afford to put real money into this game. I earn enough Dilithium just from Admiralty on my characters to make hundreds of millions of EC every month. It's not hard, you need at least 10 characters to make it work really well, but its doable with 1 (just takes a looong time).
    There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

    One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.

    Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.

    Robert Heinlein
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    psiameese wrote: »
    Federation faction does maintain a movie era (canon) Constitution at the generic t3. With no extra bells or whistles. I see no reason for devs not to offer the familiar Walker class at t2 or t3 for standard player advancement. The blog supports that if it comes to pass. Otherwise, I continue to welcome additional Jayces starship blogs. As it's writer feels inspired to write them.

    The TMP Constitution class is Tier 2, not Tier 3.

    Thank you for the correction.

    Interesting what the blog was actually alluding to. Now that the Discovery Starter Pack news is public.

    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
    #TASforSTO
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    Hmm, interesting. Hinting at lower Tier Walker classes for C-store purchase, perhaps?

    In anycase, I do like some background lore.

    I am fairly certain this is referring to the T1-4 Scalable Walker in the AoD Starter Pack.
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

    "There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

    PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    sarvour0 wrote: »
    Hmm, interesting. Hinting at lower Tier Walker classes for C-store purchase, perhaps?

    In anycase, I do like some background lore.

    I am fairly certain this is referring to the T1-4 Scalable Walker in the AoD Starter Pack.

    I know it is now. This was posted the day before the Scalable Walker was announced.
    Post edited by centurian821 on
  • azrael605azrael605 Member Posts: 9,491 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    (Response to moderated post removed. -- StarSword-C)
    Post edited by starswordc on
    There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

    One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.

    Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.

    Robert Heinlein
  • azrael605azrael605 Member Posts: 9,491 Arc User
    By the way there was no consistency between original series and Next Generation none at all, they changed more in that first season from TOS than any other Star Trek series has ever changed.
    There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

    One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.

    Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.

    Robert Heinlein
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,668 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    By the way there was no consistency between original series and Next Generation none at all, they changed more in that first season from TOS than any other Star Trek series has ever changed.

    Like "Peak Performance" claiming that Starfleet had never conducted war games before, apparently forgetting the entirety of "The Ultimate Computer"...
    "Two ways to view the world, so similar at times / Two ways to rule the world, to justify their crimes / By Kings and Queens young men are sent to die in war / Their propaganda speaks those words been heard before"
    — Sabaton, "A Lifetime of War"
    VZ9ASdg.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    By the way there was no consistency between original series and Next Generation none at all, they changed more in that first season from TOS than any other Star Trek series has ever changed.

    A lot can happen in a century, most and maybe even all of the changes can be attributed to the long gap between them.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,668 Arc User




    And my personal favorite:
    "Two ways to view the world, so similar at times / Two ways to rule the world, to justify their crimes / By Kings and Queens young men are sent to die in war / Their propaganda speaks those words been heard before"
    — Sabaton, "A Lifetime of War"
    VZ9ASdg.png
  • azrael605azrael605 Member Posts: 9,491 Arc User
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > By the way there was no consistency between original series and Next Generation none at all, they changed more in that first season from TOS than any other Star Trek series has ever changed.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > A lot can happen in a century, most and maybe even all of the changes can be attributed to the long gap between them.

    Not particularly, npr does that explain the lack of consistency with each series itself. Such as, when TOS started there was no Federation, no Starfleet, in early episodes they talked about the "united earth space probe agency" and "space command". The Federation and Starfleet came later. According to season 1 TNG the Klingons had flatly joined the Federation, yet later that was not the case.

    There are things like this is all Trek shows. This myth of the Trek franchise shows being "consistent" with each other or even themself is just that, a myth, that was never true.
    There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

    One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.

    Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.

    Robert Heinlein
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > By the way there was no consistency between original series and Next Generation none at all, they changed more in that first season from TOS than any other Star Trek series has ever changed.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > A lot can happen in a century, most and maybe even all of the changes can be attributed to the long gap between them.

    Not particularly, npr does that explain the lack of consistency with each series itself. Such as, when TOS started there was no Federation, no Starfleet, in early episodes they talked about the "united earth space probe agency" and "space command". The Federation and Starfleet came later. According to season 1 TNG the Klingons had flatly joined the Federation, yet later that was not the case.

    There are things like this is all Trek shows. This myth of the Trek franchise shows being "consistent" with each other or even themself is just that, a myth, that was never true.

    There are always glitches and throwaway dialog that is different, and details of continuity get harder to keep track of as the amount of material grows. They actually did surprisingly well considering the sheer number of hours of film and numbers of lines said. Also, I was only talking about ENT and TOS being able to match up because of the length of time between them allowed enough wiggle room, not that there were no inconsistencies at all between them or in Trek in general.


    As for the Federation and the different departments and names of things, they did not mention the Federation or Starfleet by name, but omission is not necessarily negation. Yes, they changed departments or the name of those departments changed but they never specified exactly what the setup was in the first place. It is possible that Starfleet was not as tightly integrated as it was by TNG era and ran divisions detached to them from the member planets. Enterprise and the other Terran crewed ships could have still been nominally UESPA while others like the Vulcan crewed Intrepid could have been nominally High Command or whatever its successor was called (Vulcan Science Council perhaps?) or whatever.

    The 'Space command' thing could mean that Starfleet was called something else for a while, that there is actually another layer on top of Starfleet that deals with space matters that are not always fleet-centric, or it could even be the translators rendering "Starfleet" in English as "Space Command" in whatever language for those he was talking to (which is the old language barrier problem that space operas have to deal with). It could even have been another department on the same level as UESPA and meant that Enterprise was temporarily assigned to the defense department of Starfleet or something.
  • azrael605azrael605 Member Posts: 9,491 Arc User
    None of which is supported by even the flimsiest on screen material, fanon and headcanon do not enter into any of my considerations.
    There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

    One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.

    Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.

    Robert Heinlein
Sign In or Register to comment.