test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

@Cryptic: Operation Gamma to hard for new players on normal.

Comments

• bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    noobs need to l2p. They just need to pay attention. Even in WOW you're just lead around in Ah, bank and trainers and not how to beat ragnaros or whatever their current endgame raid is (stopped payin attention at Molten core). Anyways in STO at lvl10 you're given a ship and lead to the shipyard. At lvl11 you're given a full DOFF compliment thus introduced to DOFFing. At lvl20 you're given 20 photonic R&D doffs introducing you to R&D. At lvl50 you're lead to the REPUTATION page. The simple most important part of the game. At lvl52 you're introduced to admiralty. At that moment you should stop leveling and concentrate your effort on REP and ADM. Acquiring rep marks and ship cards. Up until lvl52 your gearscore, your ship, your build is irrelevant. If you stick around ingame you will acquire that knowledge, be it fleet, stfs, forums, whateva...

STO teaches you, you just need to listen.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,100 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Ok, but you haven't explained why the game should be balanced around being played by people that bad.
    Because the game completely fails to teach them NOT to be that bad. Because we're currently losing 99% of our new players, with an 80% loss rate between those who even survived to 60 and those who have subsequently dropped dead before getting far enough for us to see them.
    Given the source of this "information", I don't see how we can draw any meaningful conclusions from it, since it literally includes everyone who ever DLed the game.
    Statistics are never misleading.

uO8T5nm.png
    All of these systems were introduced to be used by veterans that had a preexisting pool of resources to draw upon to fund it and little else to be doing except that. None of them are of any real use to newbies who aren't prepared to heavily game the system pay attention or learn to play the game.
    Fixed that for you.

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Ouch. I'd like to see a thread that's had some good points made stick around for a while :disappointed: Sarcasm about the variety of ways numbers can be interpreted do not equal any intent to be anti-studio on my part.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    then you shouldn't have brought it up to begin with; statistics are always heavily biased at best, outright lies at worst​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited October 2018
    then you shouldn't have brought it up to begin with; statistics are always heavily biased at best, outright lies at worst​​
    Frequent poster in this thread brings up some statistics from a console version of the game, mentions a second number of % people retained at x rank (around end game).

I don't have any access or seen a link to console statistics but accept that console players may frequently download and try numerous games which may result in said statistics so don't give any meaning to the number.

Having managed or help manage several groups for a long time I don't necessarily disagree with his % retained by end-game numbers.

I want the % / end-game number to be as high as possible... actually want the tried it and decided to stay one to be the same as well (which is why I even bother to post in this thread - because I care).

Yes, statistics are biased unless you know what the criteria is being used. The (art) poster was used as an example as the criteria used is unknown.

it's a side effect of a confluence of factors all hitting at once.
    That one phrase makes some sense.

The thread title was really about scaling. The rest is covered elsewhere or just grandstanding imho. We were all new players once.
    • What could we teach better?
    • What keeps you playing STO?
    • Queus/TFOS current thread

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Yeah, 5.2 million accounts does it include spambots that were banned years ago?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Yeah, 5.2 million accounts does it include spambots that were banned years ago?
    Thanks for that :smile:

It was stupid of me to use the art I did as an example about statistics. /facepalm.

If I was able to choose a subtitle for this thread that applies to myself it would be something like "Good Intentions Gone Awry".
    edited October 2018
    One would have to be quite knowledgeable about the industry and trends to make any reasonable commentary about numbers. Half the players try the game and decide it's not for them. Maybe this is good. Who knows?

This player tried the game and still plays it regularly for years. I tried two other space games a while back and lasted a couple hours in one before deleting it and didn't make it past the tutorial on the other.

Not all games are for all people.

Post 50 game play may be around the point where players decide whether or not they'd like to continue playing as it's the point that requires more than randomly pressing the space bar without any thought to continue. A level of commitment to improve oneself.

The L65 guy in zone chat complaining that his T6 Kurak was garbage for missions. Tried to assist. Then I get a bunch of random other questions that were clearly answered in pop up tutorials that they obviously chose to ignore or disregard. Is the game giving him a bad time or is he giving himself a bad time?

You mentioned a confluence of factors. I'm not the essay writing type. As far as scaling is concerned and what the game provides the player with that part is fine imho.

I started without any concept of what an online game even was. This is like when a very distant and aged relative who lived in a rural village came with others to visit my family when I was a little kid. What is that thing you're cooking food on and how does it work? It was an electric stove.

Edit: grammar.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The problem with tutorials and popups is that they come whether you want them right nor or not. They are typically - not just in STO - treated more like spam than as something useful.

Finding a way to provide context-sensitive help without pissing off the player (or user) with dialog boxes and popups coming out of nowhere when he's busy doing something else is surprisingly difficult.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    The problem with tutorials and popups is that they come whether you want them right nor or not. They are typically - not just in STO - treated more like spam than as something useful.

Finding a way to provide context-sensitive help without pissing off the player (or user) with dialog boxes and popups coming out of nowhere when he's busy doing something else is surprisingly difficult.
    I get what you're saying. It's like getting a promotion and hail for a free transwarp for your new ship in the middle of playing a mission or queue. Not the best timing.

One common element in this thread though is there's always an excuse...

Get a pop up tutorial about the R&D system and x it out as it came at the wrong time. Probably something you should look into afterwards.

Perhaps it could be improved by having it appear on your in-progress list similar to when you earn a new bridge officer so you can get back to it later?

Probably something that belongs in the "what could we teach better" thread as a system improvement so that these important moments aren't missed.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Level 50 is also the point at which the "endgame" is unlocked and the empty queues and endless grind for generic currency rewards that aren't needed for anything are revealed to the player in all it's glory.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I finally got around to playing Operation Gamma. It's easy. Really easy. New players just need to be educated by more experienced players.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
This discussion has been closed.