Options

CBS Les Moonves gets the boot

Comments

• Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    > @jonsills said:
    > Who's Les Munioz?
    >
    > Les Moonves, on the other hand, was (note past tense here :smile: ) president of CBS Entertainment, in which position he was responsible for the development of four different CSI series (and three NCIS!), cancelling ENT just as it was getting good, and merging UPN and The WB to create CW Network. (According to reports from 2005, Moonves cancelled ENT in part because he "didn't like sci-fi".) So I can't see his departure from CBS as anything but good for Star Trek, and for television in general.

so I butchered the name. Oops. Mea Culpa.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Never liked him - he cancelled ENT and greenlighted the idea that Troi and Riker should be shoehorned into the 'ending'. Never understood why Johnathan Frakes agreed to such a thing as he comes across as passionate about Trek'

When Steve Carrel left 'The Office' and was asked to appear in the finale, he insisted that he have have a minuscule part with barely any lines (despite him being the original star of the show) - because he didn't want to take away from how the show had progressed after he left or take away anything from the rest of the cast.

Now that's what I call class - but going somewhat off topic now so I'll stop there :D
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    equinox976 wrote: »
    he cancelled ENT and greenlighted the idea that Troi and Riker should be shoehorned into the 'ending'. Never understood why Johnathan Frakes agreed to such a thing as he comes across as passionate about Trek'

While it could be considered shoehorning... in a way they actually did something pretty clever with tying the events in with an established event in TNG, in this case Riker having a moral dilema surrounding his involvement with the USS Pegasus, and researching what could be considered a similar moral dilema faced by the crew of the NX-01 for ideas on how to proceed.

Not only that it did solidify that Enterprise exists in the same continuity as TNG.

While I agree that Enterprise still had a lot of life left in it, probably could have gone a full 7 seasons like the previous three shows, we got what we got. While the Enterprise Finale wasn't the best... it was passable.

Still... we were maybe only a few episodes away from the Earth-Romulan War... and it got canned. All the build up with the Drone Ships... wasted.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    he cancelled ENT and greenlighted the idea that Troi and Riker should be shoehorned into the 'ending'. Never understood why Johnathan Frakes agreed to such a thing as he comes across as passionate about Trek'

While it could be considered shoehorning... in a way they actually did something pretty clever with tying the events in with an established event in TNG,

Whilst I appreciate that you found the solution to the ending 'clever' - I found it to be the opposite. Future events (and temporal events) had already been established in ENT - I can see no reason why Archer could not have fulfilled the 'role' of Riker, via the aid of a temporal agent in order to reveal the 'ending'. Dressing up Riker as a chef and framing the whole finale as a holodeck program was just insulting both to the fans and the cast of ENT (writers are clever and could have used many plot devices to avoid the Troi/Riker fiasco).

I think if Frakes had refused to take part in that episode the writers would have come up with something plausible using the actual cast of ENT.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    While it could be considered shoehorning... in a way they actually did something pretty clever with tying the events in with an established event in TNG, in this case Riker having a moral dilema surrounding his involvement with the USS Pegasus, and researching what could be considered a similar moral dilema faced by the crew of the NX-01 for ideas on how to proceed.
    Except that the situation faced by the crew in that episode (terrorists kidnapping Shran's daughter and attacking NX-01, possibly keeping them from reaching the conference founding the Federation in time) had absolutely nothing to do with the dilemma faced by Riker (is his first loyalty to the former captain who swore him to secrecy about the fate of the Pegasus, to his current captain who needs that information for the situation they're in, or to the Federation treaty with the Romulans that originally outlawed the experiments being performed aboard that ship?). There was nothing the holoimages of the NX-01 crew could tell him that would be in the least applicable.

Also, the final resolution of the TNG episode was that Riker decided he should confess to violating Starfleet regulations and Federation law by covering up an experiment that violated the Treaty of Algeron, while the conclusion of the ENT episode was that loyalty to the captain overrode any other considerations, even one's own life (Trip's sacrifice), very nearly the complete opposite. If Riker had taken his lesson from that incident, he'd have sided with Admiral Pressman and tried to conceal the truth.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Its been years since I saw it so cut me some slack. It was either the moral dilema or just hard choices in general.

As to the Chef thing... don't forget that the NX-01 didn't have a counselor or bartender for crewmembers to talk to. Who's the next best thing to act in that role? The mysterious Chef. *shrug*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    As to the Chef thing... don't forget that the NX-01 didn't have a counselor or bartender for crewmembers to talk to. Who's the next best thing to act in that role? The mysterious Chef. *shrug*

Not sure if you saw my previous post about using the actual cast from ENT but it would have made much more sense to use them rather than have Riker just appear from no-where.

They may not have had a Guinnan or a Troi or similar to confide in - but I would rather had have Porthos given a speaking role as a guidance Councillor, rather than what they did with Riker, which was just jarring, and, well, just plain weird.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Not only that it did solidify that Enterprise exists in the same continuity as TNG.
    I had the opposite impression: It called into question whether any of those events actually happened at all because it made the entire thing into Riker's Holodeck. Given that historical accounts get heavily distorted after hundreds of years, did any of those things really happen as we saw them? Who knows...

It does provide an easy way to reconcile any plot points that conflict with established canon, though: inaccuracies due to it being Riker's Holodeck.

Yes, because 'Pegasus' clearly lasted 4 years. /sarcasm
  • Options
    ryan218 wrote: »
    I had the opposite impression: It called into question whether any of those events actually happened at all because it made the entire thing into Riker's Holodeck. Given that historical accounts get heavily distorted after hundreds of years, did any of those things really happen as we saw them? Who knows...

It does provide an easy way to reconcile any plot points that conflict with established canon, though: inaccuracies due to it being Riker's Holodeck.

Or because out of all the situations that Riker could have simulated to help him with his decision, his first idea was NX-01, which could be used to indicate that he'd spent the previous four years absorbing the fictionalized tales of Archer and company the way Picard had the Dixon Hill holonovels.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Which is why the Enterprise Series Finale was the worst Star Trek Series Finale. It is right up there with the infamous Dallas Season Finale where it was the entire season was just a dream. So for all we know, the entire series of Enterprise is just a figment of Riker's imagination.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    ryan218 wrote: »

Or because out of all the situations that Riker could have simulated to help him with his decision, his first idea was NX-01, which could be used to indicate that he'd spent the previous four years absorbing the fictionalized tales of Archer and company the way Picard had the Dixon Hill holonovels.

Except Troi introduced Riker to that program during 'Pegasus'. He didn't choose it at all.
  • Options
    As far as the ENT ending, most people say the previous ending was a better send off.

Hell Braga himself said later that the finale of ENT in hindsight was a BAD idea.

Plus I wanted to hear that speech damn it.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I can see no reason why Archer could not have fulfilled the 'role' of Riker, via the aid of a temporal agent in order to reveal the 'ending'.
    Or.. Donatra, or Shran, or Dukat... or.... well.. anyone. The episode exists as an epilogue that doesn't directly follow the previous episode and also jumps around to several different events and times. Realistically it HAS to be someone looking at historical accounts for it to have a coherent plot. But, the reason for this viewing

Honestly I thought it was rather interesting because it's the first time a Star Trek episode has been constructed that way.

Also the idea of Frakes refusing is preposterous. The guy basically lives Star Trek. He doesn't play Riker anymore, but he's directed 15 episodes spread across 4 series, and 2 movies. (Actually he does a lot of non-Star Trek directing work too)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Frakes is also still acting - as you can see on his IMDb page, it's mostly voiceover work lately, but he's still acting as well as directing and sometimes producing.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Would have loved to see the Earth-Romulan War...
  • Options
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Would have loved to see the Earth-Romulan War...

I think everyone wanted to see it.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    Everyone except the buzzkill who killed Enterprise and forced the rushed Finale. While it could have been better... it really didn't connect to previous episodes in any way. Hell... the Enterprise era segments were apparently set years after the previous episode, if the additions to the uniforms and the founding of the Federation are any indication.
  • Options
    About ten years later, after the end of the Earth-Romulus War, yes.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    He might have been the guy who KILLED Enterprise, and thus responsible for the finale we got.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    He might have been the guy who KILLED Enterprise, and thus responsible for the finale we got.
    Yeah the ending was weird because it wasn't part of the plan.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    sevenofnine13141sevenofnine13141 Member Posts: 4,272 Arc User
    I wouldn't be surprised if the ENT writers considered "These are the Voyages" as non-canon just like a certain VOY episode I will not dare name.
    | State of the Federation |
    The German Empire
    Founded 2413
    Leader: S. Raneson
    de_pr2.gif
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    > @talonxv said:
    > > @rattler2 said:
    > > Would have loved to see the Earth-Romulan War...
    >
    > I think everyone wanted to see it.

That and the NX-Refit on screen...
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    > @themadprofessor#9835 said:
    > > @talonxv said:
    > > > @rattler2 said:
    > > > Would have loved to see the Earth-Romulan War...
    > >
    > > I think everyone wanted to see it.
    >
    > That and the NX-Refit on screen...

> @themadprofessor#9835 said:
    > > @talonxv said:
    > > > @rattler2 said:
    > > > Would have loved to see the Earth-Romulan War...
    > >
    > > I think everyone wanted to see it.
    >
    > That and the NX-Refit on screen...

Yeah that too.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    The NX Refit is an amazing prelude to standard Federation starship design.