test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I wonder how the new post-TNG series will effect STO's story?

Comments

• dragonseye1138dragonseye1138 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited August 2018

Isn't the Oddy a fan design, though? I imagine there's a whole different set of royalty and rights payments involved for an official television series backed by a major corporation beyond what was negotiated for use in a relatively small non-canon videogame.

While it is true that the Odyssey is a fan-made design, the design that would become the Odyssey was the runner-up for the "Design the next Enterprise" contest that was held by Cryptic and sanctioned the CBS (The original winner of the contest was vetoed by CBS). In order to avoid the very issues you brought up, such as licensing rights and royalties, CBS and Cryptic re-imagined the fan design into what is essentially a new model that Cryptic Studios owns, that being the Odyssey-class we know today.

Negotiating for the use of the Odyssey in a new series would require a not insignificant amount of legal legerdemain to acquire the rights from Cryptic, however, given the relatively small operation that is STO, I don't believe that CBS would even blink at simply throwing an outrageous amount of money at Cryptic to obtain the licensing rights. And we all know that Cryptic would take the money to continue to support the game.
    Q is a Magical Girl.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    Which is pretty solidly contradicted in the DSC pilot.
    100% incorrect. The cloak used in Discovery is a different kind of cloak all together, which the Federation beat. Between Discovery and ToS the Klingons got the Romulan cloak, which isn't beatable the same way, and is why the Federation was surprised as the Klingons having cloaks in TOS.

Jarok was talking about that cloak, not the Discovery era cloak. Two entirely different technologies.

Prove they're "entirely different technologies", please.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    starswordc wrote: »
    Prove they're "entirely different technologies", please.
    If you had actually watched the show you would know the entire main plot is about finding a way to brak the Klingon cloak, which they did, and once they got back to the Prime universe, they gave it to the Federation, meaning, the cloak no longer worked. Yet, as we see in TOS, the Federation has no means to beat the Romulan cloaking device, and, if they were the same technology, they would.
    I did watch the show. There's nothing to conclusively indicate that the Romulan cloak of ten years later isn't merely an improved version of the same fundamental technologies, developed independently (compare to an original flavor iPhone versus a Google Pixel 2, or an F-15 versus an Su-57). Because...
    Not to mention, its specifically stated in Discovery that the Discovery era Klingon cloak works on gravitational bending, whereas the Romulan works on light bending(As stated in TOS)
    ... what the heck else do you think "gravitational bending" is going to do to light but bend it? Gravity doesn't play favorites. For Prophets' sake, that's the only reason we know dark matter exists: because the gravity produced by the mass of accumulations of dark matter bends the light produced by objects behind it.

EDIT: No such thing as an Su-37B, my bad.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Honestly I think they should do the series with a new captain like all the other Trek's.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Wait it has? Because I can think a few things they could do that hasn't been done in other trek series. How about a klingon or romulan focused show? The idea of a starfleet academy series that is rumored is also a new idea and could easily be set in post nemesis...and one that may or may not be a disaster. I'm going more with disaster...but that is because of what they did with TRIBBLE. But that idea has the potential to be new and actually quite good if done well. How about a political trek show where they focus on the admiralty instead of captains? How about a trek show focused on Earth? There are a LOT of things they can do...and if they do it well, would do well. But that actually requires them to think...so nope, more action and explosion to cover up that they have no brains and bring back popular characters...because once again, no brains.
    A Klingon or Romulan focused show would do poorly because people like relating to themselves, aka humans, which is why most of the Trek cast has been humans. This is true of video games as well, where, when any game lets you play as a human, or something else, humans always out number basically every other racial pick by like 10 times. Not to mention that Klingons and Romulans, despite being two of the most developed alien races in Trek canon, are still so horribly one dimensional that sticking to the canon would make the show a chore to watch, and any attempts to change anything would get even more backlash then Discovery got.

At the same time, a show set on Earth would be dreadfully boring because Earth is a utopian paradise where all need and want is basically eliminated. There would be no real conflict to drive the show, it would just be a bunch of people relaxing all day, even at work.

A show about the admiralty would be a bad idea because admirals basically do nothing but sit at desks and shove paper work. IT would be even more of a "stand around talking" show then TNG was, but with all the admiral in some highly secure Federation command area, and so, without all the alien of the week tensions to give them standing around talking purpose. Hell, Trek has constantly had messages of "don't go into Admiralty!" because admirals are boring people who accomplish nothing.

A Starfleet academy show could work, but it would be targeted to young adults, and be basically "Star Trek: Jersey Shore edition". "OMG JESSICA IS TOTALLY SLEEPING WITH THE [INSERT ALIEN HERE] TO GET BETTER GRADES ON THE UPCOMING TEST!" ohh god, now that I say it its even worse then I originally dreamt.

So...basically it won't work because you can't come up with a good idea for it...got it. Well lucky for you, there are more action and explosion and old cast members for you to veg out to.

As for you assertion that humans are always the most popular choice if given a choice...yeah...no. Yeah there are games where that is true. There are also games where that is patently NOT true. Also you are telling me that if they made a trek show about klingon or romulans, the fans of trek won't see it because no/little humans?!? Really? How do we know that a non human centric series won't do well? Have we done it before and I missed it somehow? And having a racial identity does not preclude not being able to have some depth...or is a character like Martok a one dimensional character? Or Dukat? You are gonna tell me that he was one dimensional? Because really, at that point, I have nothing to say to you.

I would be far more interested in a show centered around Martok or Dukat then I would about Picard in his old age.

But I admit, I am not a 'typical' Trek fan, I never liked Picard and I am not interested in his show. I'll check it out, but Picard overall was too passive and boring for my taste. I would take any Klingon or Romulan centered show over a Picard one any day of the week.

I actually think a Trek show from an alien perspective would do quite well. It's an idea I would like to see them have the balls to try one day.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Picard? He will 'hear' the calling of his Borgishness. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    As noted already, there's still a 10 year window between when Picardshow is supposed to happen and STO. So A) the show could not influence anything major in STO at all; or B) it will spawn another alternate timeline like (I suppose and hope) AoD will in the fall.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    I would laugh if the new series tied in to STO a little where Picard would be on ESD and there would be a whole bunch of captains/admirals running around in the background exactly like ESD in game and he's quip something like, "To many damn Admirals and not enough ensigns." or something. Could even have one background guy in a sparkling unicorn outfit or something.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    nimbull wrote: »
    I would laugh if the new series tied in to STO a little where Picard would be on ESD and there would be a whole bunch of captains/admirals running around in the background exactly like ESD in game and he's quip something like, "To many damn Admirals and not enough ensigns." or something. Could even have one background guy in a sparkling unicorn outfit or something.

I'd love even more if they used that to justify knocking us all down to Captain where we belong. Let fleet owners call themselves Fleet Captains if they like, and give lifetime subscribers a gold name and rank of "Star Captain" with a technical 1-star rank but functionally the same as the rest of us. The crazy ranks need to stop!

Speak for yourself. I'm an admiral and I deserve it. I've saved the galaxy several times over.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Since most of the active events in STO should take place within a timeframe of 2 years or so I don’t think the game should look at any heavy problems. The path to the 25th century or the passive story telling and background can be swiftly adjusted if so need.

Only serious problem as far as I can see would be if the post TNG show would heavily focus on things like iconians or something but the chances of that are slim. I could even imagine that some of the writers of the new trek shows are familiar with the game and would consider parts of the events canon.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    I wonder if there's any slim chance that they could get Picard into the game at some point because of the presence of this new series since Patrick is going to act as Picard again.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    No video game has ever been canon so who cares

Voyager didn't impact elite force, DS9 didn't hurt the Fallen....STO will be it's own thing like those games were, STO might add stuff from the new show if they can whatever ships and uniforms and tweak stuff like they've done but I don't see them changing everything again for this
    GwaoHAD.png
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    I doubt Cryptic could suddenly rewrite a significant part of the story to fit significant new post-Nemesis canon story developments.
    They did it before. The story as the game shipped is nothing like it is now. So if they rewrote the story once they can do it again.
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Isn't the Oddy a fan design, though? I imagine there's a whole different set of royalty and rights payments involved for an official television series backed by a major corporation beyond what was negotiated for use in a relatively small non-canon videogame.

That's where the lovely "Terms of Agreement" comes into play, even though a fan created the design. The design belongs to Perfect World Entertainment, not the fan in question. Since it's a Star Trek creation it belongs to CBS / Paramount Pictures.

This discussion has been closed.