Options

STO: Age of Discovery - Excited YEAH/NAY

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    And then there's Burnham. Now she's suddenly the hero? She committed outright mutiny. And even if you can bring yourself to overlook the latter, she personally STARTED the whole war to begin with, cuz she was thinking... why, she wasn't really thinking, was she?!

Uuum. T'Kuvma started the war not Burnham. You think he showed up in his battleship after whipping his minions into a frenzy and if Burnham didn't try fire first he'd say 'fair enough' and bugger off back to Kronos?

Burnham thought a show of strength would make them back down the reason it didn't was because T'Kuvma was going to get his war one way or another.

Why, T'Kuvma was definitely bellicosus, looking for a fight, but Burnham lit the fire, giving him the perfect excuse.

Okay. Hypothetical. Burnham didn't execute a Vulcan Hello.
    Describe the next action of the religious zealot in the most powerful ship in the quadrant and his crew of dogmatic military extremists.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »
    More no's than yes'...yet they keep spouting out everywhere how TRIBBLE is better than sliced bread...when it can't barely break above 50% here or on RT...it isn't as good as they claim it is.

Really?

At the time of this post it looked like this:
    38% No
    35% Yes
    19% on the fence

So it's not really as 'cut and dry' as "more no than yes" - what of the 19% who're on the fence?

It would actually be interesting to see the reasoning of who voted Yes & No, apart from what we have already seen. While the "No's" are the slightly greater percentage, this is an unofficial poll on a MMO forum site. A small snapshot (and i mean small) of what the greater community might think either way.

Plus lianthelia, its pretty premature to label DIS (discovery) as something not "hot" or "good" Oblivious, it seems to have done well enough in it's first season for CBS to pull the trigger on multiple new "potential" series.

Additionally, for things like the Klingon "look" just because they haven't shown or described the reason they don't look like their TOS or TMP brothers, does not mean they are "breaking" canon. Discovery has had one season, with the second to commence next year. Long time for new stories to close or explain the gaps.

(reason i mentioned that, is to head off that argument proactively :) )

Remember how long it took them to write in the difference between TOS & TNG (which they really did well imo)

It's interesting to see the people who believe Discovery is breaking canon, and listening to their reasons. Cause, when you get down to it. Star Trek, like most Sci-Fi series, frequently violates its own "canon" or re-writes it. Most times, its not for malicious reasons, but poor writers, directors and producers who barely had time to eat lunch before they had to get shooting down and completed or for their episodes.

Me personally, I'm looking forward to it. New stories, new adventures.

pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

Describe the next action of the religious zealot in the most powerful ship in the quadrant and his crew of dogmatic military extremists.

"Ya, well, this is awkward. Ehm. It is Kahless who told us to always be vigilant..." - "Oh, shut the nga'chuq up. Guys, pack up, we're done here".​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    talonxv wrote: »
    If season 2 doesn't deliver in spades, might not get a season 3.

Judging by the ridiculously rushed, and overly happy ending of Season 1, it's fair to assume they weren't really expecting a second Season. They basically quickly wrapped it up towards the end (instead of leaving it with a hefty cliffhanger, as per usual). CBS and Netflix will no doubt have you believe "It was a great success, and the viewers love it!" But they already hired Patrick Stewart for the next Trek incarnation: that should at least give pause to even the most rabid ST:D fans.

Bad example, meimei. Hard to believe the ending feeling rushed is indicative of anything when the entire rest of the season was equally rushed.

LOL. And I kinda disagree. Toward the end, I really felt the show was picking up, and I found myself actually excited to watch the next Ep. Then, suddenly, it was all over: we didn't destroy the Klingon homeworld when we could (in a war the Federation had all but totally lost); the Klink made a sudden about-face, when they ere about to attack the Earth; and Burnham, yawn, was everyone's new hero now, and all was forgotten and forgiven. They couldn't have ended it in a sappier way, even if they tried.

But my main point remains: it ended in an abrupt manner, leaving no loose ends. The ending was clearly indicative of them not expecting a continuation (or, at least, to have sufficiently 'concluded' the series, had there not have been a 2nd Season).
    ^^^
    No. The ending was because they were telling a self-contained story (Japanese Anime does this all the time.) And given they had the 1701 show up with a distress call in the final episode, I don't see how you can claim they didn't know they were getting a second season. That sequence wasn't filmed or produced later after the original principle shooting ended (IE they didn't bring the cast back just for a day to do that) ; it was written into the final episode of S1 prior to that episode being produced.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »

Describe the next action of the religious zealot in the most powerful ship in the quadrant and his crew of dogmatic military extremists.

"Ya, well, this is awkward. Ehm. It is Kahless who told us to always be vigilant..." - "Oh, shut the nga'chuq up. Guys, pack up, we're done here".​​

T'Kuvma drops to the floor clutching his head...
    'Another vision guys, Kahless says we're to run aw... erm, invade Organia. Yeah, that's what he says. He also says sorry for making you all dress up in your best Ninja clothes.

L'rell rolls her eyes so hard she falls over backwards due to her stupidly oversized and overballanced head.

Voq slinks back to the background, slowly putting his gloves back on sulking.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User

T'Kuvma drops to the floor clutching his head...
    'Another vision guys, Kahless says we're to run aw... erm, invade Organia. Yeah, that's what he says. He also says sorry for making you all dress up in your best Ninja clothes.

L'rell rolls her eyes so hard she falls over backwards due to her stupidly oversized and overballanced head.

Voq slinks back to the background, slowly putting his gloves back on sulking.
    More realistically:

"The honorless cowards refuse to come here! We will go to them, dig them out of their holes, and slaughter them like the cattle they are!!"
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    More no's than yes'...yet they keep spouting out everywhere how TRIBBLE is better than sliced bread...when it can't barely break above 50% here or on RT...it isn't as good as they claim it is.

It is that way on most of the major websites that deal with entertainment media.
    IMBD and RT have ST:D as the lowest rated Star Trek series.
    The dislike of ST:D ranges from hatred (a lot of it) to people like me who are just "meh" about it.

Incidentally, most of these websites didn't even exist or were barely in use when those Star Trek shows were made. I strongly suspect that very few people would go there, years after the show came out, to write negative reviews and assign bad ratings. People that hated it already forgotten about those shows, and probably abandoned Star Trek .

Star Trek really has been off the air for far too long. :(
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    Hmm, shall we compare a full run seven series show that's been on near constant air worldwide and has been on physical distribution on multiple formats for 31 years and has a rabid fanbase that's existed for even longer than those three decades against a show that came out last year, has one series so far, saw release on subscription based viewing worldwide and hasn't even got that first series on physical media yet?

I wonder if there's possibly a tiny, minute, insignificant reason why it's possible one is slightly more reviewed than the other.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    People need to give DSC a chance, TOS,TNG,DS9,VOY and ENT all had bad first seasons
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Targ wins the thread:

https://youtu.be/XE4eW0fJyp4?t=1m17s
    (skip to 1:17 if it doesn't go there on its own)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »

Really?

At the time of this post it looked like this:
    38% No
    35% Yes
    19% on the fence

So it's not really as 'cut and dry' as "more no than yes" - what of the 19% who're on the fence?

Okay...I was being nice and just counting the yes' and no's...but if you want to play it that way...35% said yes...you'd think for how much they advertise it for being such a hit show it would get a better approval rating.

Barely breaks 50% on RT...

Why is CBS so afraid to release real numbers? Is it because a lot of people didn't actually pay for it...All Access isn't doing anywhere near what they expected it to?
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    talonxv wrote: »
    If season 2 doesn't deliver in spades, might not get a season 3.

Judging by the ridiculously rushed, and overly happy ending of Season 1, it's fair to assume they weren't really expecting a second Season. They basically quickly wrapped it up towards the end (instead of leaving it with a hefty cliffhanger, as per usual). CBS and Netflix will no doubt have you believe "It was a great success, and the viewers love it!" But they already hired Patrick Stewart for the next Trek incarnation: that should at least give pause to even the most rabid ST:D fans.

Bad example, meimei. Hard to believe the ending feeling rushed is indicative of anything when the entire rest of the season was equally rushed.

LOL. And I kinda disagree. Toward the end, I really felt the show was picking up, and I found myself actually excited to watch the next Ep. Then, suddenly, it was all over: we didn't destroy the Klingon homeworld when we could (in a war the Federation had all but totally lost); the Klink made a sudden about-face, when they ere about to attack the Earth; and Burnham, yawn, was everyone's new hero now, and all was forgotten and forgiven. They couldn't have ended it in a sappier way, even if they tried.

But my main point remains: it ended in an abrupt manner, leaving no loose ends. The ending was clearly indicative of them not expecting a continuation (or, at least, to have sufficiently 'concluded' the series, had there not have been a 2nd Season).
    ^^^
    No. The ending was because they were telling a self-contained story (Japanese Anime does this all the time.) And given they had the 1701 show up with a distress call in the final episode, I don't see how you can claim they didn't know they were getting a second season. That sequence wasn't filmed or produced later after the original principle shooting ended (IE they didn't bring the cast back just for a day to do that) ; it was written into the final episode of S1 prior to that episode being produced.

That's a fair point.

Even if the apparent 'episodic' story telling was intentional (didn't know that, tbh), still, this 'we can pull the plug any time we want' format doesn't come off as having a lot of confidence in the continuation of their own series.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Ornery? Ornery? Here's ornery:

https://youtu.be/pus6XF_qh38
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    (Discussion of moderation removed. - BMR)
This discussion has been closed.