test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[RISA] 2018 Risa Lohlunat Festival - Discussion

Comments

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    Per Cryptic: The [T6] Vorgon Ryn'Kodan Carrier "will be available sometime in the future but not for this summer event" for console players.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    If I had to guess, I'd say they're probably trying to get the versions to be more in sync.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    I am hoping that at some point they do a lighting 2.1/2.5/3.0 and add back the light cycle, that add a lot of Risa, In fact I think that all community maps should have it.

I'm reasonably certain they would love to do this, they were justifiably proud of the gorgeous day / night lighting cycles on Risa and Bajor and there are still issues yet to be worked out with Lighting 2.0. As technology advances, and they're less bound to legacy technology as well, there's sure to be a later upgrade to the engine at some point that's better than what we have now. If this game lasts another ten years, which I dearly hope it does and then some, I don't suspect the engine will bear much resemblance to what exists now and the future one will be better in every way.

I personally would like to see them rip the bandaid off the damned thing and split Risa into Dayside and Nightside maps for the time being until better lighting tech becomes available. Yes, that would mean two different Zone chats but I think that's a small price to pay. We won't get the gorgeous transitions back and that sucks, but at least we'd get a night map again. I'm willing to put up with two separate Zone chats for it.

In story, you can justify it easily by saying that the Risa resort complex actually consists of a series of identical replicated islands situated at similar latitudes outside of sight distance from one another. The original is a natural formation, the rest are constructed to that exact matching pattern down to the molecular level. That explains the different Instances as well, as we're all scattered across different copies of the island distributed according to numbers so that no one spot gets too overcrowded. Half of those are, at any given time, on the daylight side of the planet or the nighttime side. You choose which to beam down from when you request transport from orbit. They then assign you to an island on your chosen side of the day/night terminus.

If enough of us ask for the zones to be split, maybe they'll consider it for next year.

They are not going to split Risa between day and night maps. The Day/Night Cycle is in the FCT with explanations from Taco as to why they cannot do it at this time and why they won't step backward to do something like you're suggesting. Day/Night Cycles are something that they would love to add back into the game, but if/when that happens, it will be done by moving forward with new tech that, at the moment, doesn't exist yet.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Hey, anyone try a tribble with the new Baseball food, yet? What did you get???
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »

A friend tried it out, said he just got a boring tribble from previous years. Dunno which one though.

A friend tried it out, said he just got a boring tribble from previous years. Dunno which one though.

Awwwww.... I was hoping for one with a baseball hat on. LOL!

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin

Awwwww.... I was hoping for one with a baseball hat on. LOL!

Or a flat out Baseball Tribble. As in the actual ball. Could give a buff to run speed because sports.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Anybody knows whether the emotes are character or account unlock? 600 favors for character would be quite steep.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    xyquarze wrote: »
    Anybody knows whether the emotes are character or account unlock? 600 favors for character would be quite steep.

Heard from another friend that they're character unlock only. Bear in mind, this is hearsay, so it could be wrong.
    Or a flat out Baseball Tribble. As in the actual ball. Could give a buff to run speed because sports.

That would work, too. But those Risa Tribbles speed up flight and add better control, I think.... floater stuff not ground.

Heard from another friend that they're character unlock only. Bear in mind, this is hearsay, so it could be wrong.

I would check for you....but my character is waiting on a tribble to eat the hotdog.

That would work, too. But those Risa Tribbles speed up flight and add better control, I think.... floater stuff not ground.

But the Risa tribbles have other effects too. One has psionic resist, the other a max hp boost. Both have hp regen boosts as well. The flight speed and inertia is a bonus for the Risa event only, which is why there are other effects to make them not completely worthless.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Well. I was wrong. The baseball outfits are their own <bleep> category, not in Off Duty. (Also, there's 8 separate boxes, home & away versions of four teams.)

And new/faster/harder-to-handle Floaters & Boards. It'll take me awhile to get used to the new floaters - doing Flying High and a Horgahn Hunt, I was overshooting all over the place. Good top speed, terrible braking. :D

Also, it's very nice that the floaters & boards are now just entries in your ground powers window. No need to equip them on the character.

re: 600 per emote is expensive.... I probably have a warped view of Favor costs, because I managed to get to a point where they're relatively easy to farm in bulk. Once you have 5 characters with Superior floaters, and learn the routes, you can get ~500 during every Horgahn Hunt. I finished last year with 16000 left over. Even after selling 6k last month, I still have more than I'll use. If I just do one Hunt a day for the length of the event, that's 20k favors.

But the Risa tribbles have other effects too. One has psionic resist, the other a max hp boost. Both have hp regen boosts as well. The flight speed and inertia is a bonus for the Risa event only, which is why there are other effects to make them not completely worthless.

Well....I use that Cream Soda / Daring Tribble these days.

BTW... DANCE EMOTES.... PER CHARACTER. It says on the box when you purchase it from the store.

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Verdict on the baseball clothes: They're not map-restricted, but despite the description saying they're available in Off-Duty they are in fact restricted to their own category only. They are not customizable at all and you can't combine anything else with them.

The caps are limited to the category as well. Unlike the winter hats they do allow hair, though with very few styles listed.

They can't be worn by boffs.

Don't bother. :disappointed:

EditMonsterProofingTextPleaseDontEatPost
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Per Cryptic: The [T6] Vorgon Ryn'Kodan Carrier "will be available sometime in the future but not for this summer event" for console players.

Hopefully they don't mean it's getting gambleboxed or c-stored like the mishandled lukari ship was.
  • zurielsevenzurielseven Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Congrats on the new baseball uniforms! Missed a few teams, however: Cestus City Comets, Pike City Pioneers, & London Kings... all canon, yet none available.

Also, am I missing something - I can't seem to find where to put on a baseball cap to go with my baseball uniform... I'd appreciate some kind assistance...
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Where's the Orion Buccaneers uniforms?
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Well, ask the NW guys about day and night, I hear their new dracula like stuff they released this past week as day and night.

Anyhow see ya on the beach! :)
    9hITHNY.jpg
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • zurielsevenzurielseven Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Well, ask the NW guys about day and night, I hear their new dracula like stuff they released this past week as day and night.

Anyhow see ya on the beach! :)
    9hITHNY.jpg

See ya soon, @smokebailey
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    warpangel wrote: »
    Verdict on the baseball clothes: They're not map-restricted, but despite the description saying they're available in Off-Duty they are in fact restricted to their own category only. They are not customizable at all and you can't combine anything else with them.

The caps are limited to the category as well. Unlike the winter hats they do allow hair, though with very few styles listed.

Actually... you CAN change what number is on the back. You just can't edit the colors.
    And honestly I wouldn't mind seeing the baseball caps allowed in other categories as well. They could actually USE this as a testbed for another canon hat.
    brokenbow_057.jpg?w=420&h=235
    NX-01 hat!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Can't stand the races.. even when I do make it to first, second, or third it won't let me click on it or give me any feedback.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    All Summer stuff is way overpriced compared to the prices during the Winter Event.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User

I would check for you....but my character is waiting on a tribble to eat the hotdog.

Decided what the heck, tested it out - indeed character unlock only. So very expensive IMO.
    BTW... DANCE EMOTES.... PER CHARACTER. It says on the box when you purchase it from the store.

Did not see that, despite looking for some information about it. Is it after you bought it or before?

But between this and the baseball uniforms I'd say the recent wars have put quite some inflationary problems on Risa ...
    kiralyn wrote: »
    And new/faster/harder-to-handle Floaters & Boards. It'll take me awhile to get used to the new floaters - doing Flying High and a Horgahn Hunt, I was overshooting all over the place. Good top speed, terrible braking. :D

Actually I like the new floaters/boards. I, too, still struggle to handle them effectivels. Biathlon was an easy win but powerboard race, which has the more demanding course, I had too many mistakes. The hunt will also need to be trained. But I like the concept of "not strictly better than other versions, depending on skill". I venture the guess though, that at the end of the event you won't be able to win with "old" equipment anymore.

Also, it's very nice that the floaters & boards are now just entries in your ground powers window. No need to equip them on the character.

re: 600 per emote is expensive.... I probably have a warped view of Favor costs, because I managed to get to a point where they're relatively easy to farm in bulk. Once you have 5 characters with Superior floaters, and learn the routes, you can get ~500 during every Horgahn Hunt. I finished last year with 16000 left over. Even after selling 6k last month, I still have more than I'll use. If I just do one Hunt a day for the length of the event, that's 20k favors.

I had even more left over. But then again I have 21 toons I want to outfit, including the back catalogue for the new Jemmies. Add the new floaters and boards and I'm gonna have to get quite some hunting going on, despite also getting 5 hunts easily with superior and tribble (and am quite certain I can do 6 with the new floaters after I got accustomed).

And emotes are a must for me. I don't even really use them, but I know that next friday my JH will quit Risa to get the Zombie Dance ... first world problems and personal idiocy tend to synergize quite well at this keyboard.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    My issue with it this year is that the dance only happens once per cycle of events, I miss when there were two dances per cycle and I feel there are either too many races or scav hunts per cycle now.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    ltminns wrote: »
    All Summer stuff is way overpriced compared to the prices during the Winter Event.

On the other hand, there are more winter "currencies" to get then there are summer.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User

Yes, that's nice.

I had even more left over. But then again I have 21 toons I want to outfit, including the back catalogue for the new Jemmies. Add the new floaters and boards and I'm gonna have to get quite some hunting going on, despite also getting 5 hunts easily with superior and tribble (and am quite certain I can do 6 with the new floaters after I got accustomed).

And emotes are a must for me. I don't even really use them, but I know that next friday my JH will quit Risa to get the Zombie Dance ... first world problems and personal idiocy tend to synergize quite well at this keyboard.

Yeah, I don't have that many to outfit. I got the new dances on my 'main', I'm not going to bother giving anything to my Jem (only doing him for the recruit event), and I don't care for the baseball uniforms. Meanwhile, the other thing that got me running the Hunt constantly - farming Eggs for rep marks - isn't nearly as important this year since I got my Gamma marks on my alts from the recruit boxes. And managed to do T5 competitive on everyone via BorgRA. So outside of Flying High for the ship, and maybe doing some eggs for Fleet Marks on my fleet drones, this is likely to be my least-participated Summer since it started. Ah, well.

rattler2 wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »

On the other hand, there are more winter "currencies" to get then there are summer.

But on the other other hand, you can spam DOff missions and get all the things no problem.
This discussion has been closed.