test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Of Lobi, Latinum, and Ferengi

blastcharger#6318 blastcharger Member Posts: 31 Arc User
I've been considering things that are inconsistent with Star Trek canon recently. So I have some minor thoughts on what could be fixed in the game. For starters, Lobi. Lobi is, canonically, next to worthless. Why does the Lobi Store even exist when DS9 indicated you could buy a thousand Lobi crystals for pocket change? Second, the Ferengi pride themselves on being able to get ANYTHING for the right price, and Quark himself has indicated he could get a capitol-class starship for Sisko for enough Latinum. Why aren't there Latinum-only ships from the Ferengi?

I'd personally also like to see more story missions. And here's some thoughts for new factions. How about a Mirror Universe storyline and faction? A Ferengi Trade Commission line would be interesting too, for those who play Ferengi. Further new storylines are a must. More ship customization would be nice too.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Oi...markets can change their valuations. That's one of the first big take aways if you watch economic developments over any length of time (prices change moment to moment, leading to larger shifts as you expand to weeks, months, and years.) Take bitcoin as a real world example. As an entity unto itself it is worthless but heavy trading and speculative investment have increased it's worth to something approaching Lobi's place in STO today. And that didn't take 40 years (DS9: 2370's, STO: 2410.)

Canon should never be taken as an absolute dictum of what can and can't be done in an IP. No writer, however meticulous, can ever envision what their decisions in one context may or may not preclude in later work. All long-running sci-fi franchises from Star Trek to Dune have retconned earlier events or simply changed key points in later stories, contradicting earlier statements. See. just about everything to do with the Tleilaxu (Dune).
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I think if Cryptic hadn't already established Latinum for a specific purpose when they introduced lockboxes and the concept of a consolation currency, they would have called Lobi Latinum. But they didn't, and so we have what we have.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    OP, your original post is kinda all over the place, but I've tried to re-title it to make it more clear to forum users. In future, please use more defined titles for your threads.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    Personally I'd like to see more in the Latinum store at reasonable prices. I'd also like to see a conversion mechanic introduced for both dilithium and lobi crystals (1000 lat = 1 dilithium/lobi)
  • themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    All else aside remember that canon was invented on the spot, with no consideration of consistency, by a revolving roster of writers who did not consult with each other.

That's just not true. Up until they ended Enterprise, the people making Trek made a lot of effort to keep things consistent. They made some mistakes, and made some choices to ignore old info in service of a better story, but canon wasn't just thrown away wholesale until very recently. Look up Kellam de Forest if you get a chance, and that was all the way back to TOS (although he wasn't just focused on keeping things canonical, he worked that role as well).

As far as Lobi are concerned, they were really only seen that one time. And, as much as you want to believe Paris in Caretaker, he is the only source for thinking that the Lobi are not valuable. The truth was likely somewhere between the price Quark wanted and the price Paris suggested. Plus, supply, even if they are as ubiquitous in the Bajor Sector as Paris said, is only half of the input for value, there is also the question of demand, and since the Consortium decided to accept them as a currency, they must have some value somewhere else of which only they are aware.

I agree, though, that if the game had not already been using Latinum, then that would have been the consolation currency for the boxes, but Lobi were a nice touch.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    You must be thinking of voyager's infinite torpedoes.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • captainkenny1captainkenny1 Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    They should fill the gpl store with fun stuff, nothing more.
    stuff like : replica nagus staff or gpl bar jewellery like Brunt has around his neck
    : holodeck outfits ; ranging from the far west to sherlock holmes and naval enterprise era
    : more emotes, but you got that covered in the phoenix box
    : special haircuts, unlock them with hard earned Gpl!
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    stuff like : replica nagus staff or gpl bar jewellery like Brunt has around his neck
    : holodeck outfits ; ranging from the far west to sherlock holmes and naval enterprise era

100% agree, the Devs are missing such a market in this game, hell, even selling them as outfits in the store or lobi store.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    dmt wrote: »
    Personally I'd like to see more in the Latinum store at reasonable prices. I'd also like to see a conversion mechanic introduced for both dilithium and lobi crystals (1000 lat = 1 dilithium/lobi)

Except that we get a ton of Latinum from the Ferengi Admiralty track. So honestly converting GPL to Lobi or Dilithium would harm the market or cut into Cryptic's income. Income that could be used to add more things to the game that we all love.

Transfer the Dilithium Store outfits over to GPL. 1.7-2 mil Dilithium for a CHARACTER unlock is ridiculous.
    And I would like to see more use for GPL as well because outside of getting those account unlock stuff and the trophies... there's really NOTHING to spend it on really. All that Latinum collecting dust...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    I just find it humorous. In Star Trek, there is between 1 and 0 forms of currency (depending on the culture), and latinum seems to be the universal currency used by everyone (including KLINGONS) except Federation, or at least Earth. Latinum is the only thing worth anything. In the game it's worthless. And we go from either 1 or 0 forms to, what, over 9? I've lost count.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Eh, they needed a Trek-themed currency item for the lockbox consolation currency. They picked Lobi at the time. /shrug

And yeah, I can't see there ever being a way to convert GPL into anything that's worth (or can be converted into) $. So no lobi-GPL or dil-GPL-zen exchanges. (all my characters have at least 1.5mil GPL from before the Ferengi Admiralty got nerfed. And have thousands of winter ornaments I could exchange into more GPL.)

I just find it humorous. In Star Trek, there is between 1 and 0 forms of currency (depending on the culture), and latinum seems to be the universal currency used by everyone (including KLINGONS) except Federation, or at least Earth. Latinum is the only thing worth anything. In the game it's worthless. And we go from either 1 or 0 forms to, what, over 9? I've lost count.

It's an MMO. Even if it's based in a post-currency utopia, lore-wise, an MMO still needs some sort of currencies to function (whether it's an actual currency, or some grindable/stackable/tradeable item that the players in the game decide to make a currency. Like, say, lockbox keys.)
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    I thought the thing with lobi was a bit of an in-joke where one Ferengi bought up the entire supply to drive the prices up?
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User

That's why I like that the Reputation currencies are exactly that, reputation. Something you can't buy or sell, something you have to earn for yourself, or trade birds for. It's a very Trek idea.
    Energy Credits kinda make sense if you consider that it takes energy to produce an item. So by "spending" ECs you're making an item. And I guess by "selling" an item you're producing some energy.

In a sense Energy Credits are not even a "physical" currency like GPL is. And hence why we don't get EC rewards from killing enemies like you would get gold in Neverwinter.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I just want them to add SOMETHING to the GPL store. Hardly matters what the addition would be. It's just been such a long time since I tried to use Latinum to purchase anything worthwhile. I don't care if they let us buy a personal moon like Gaila, or some ground armor with gold plating, or even something totally cosmetic like a gold-plated ship hull vanity.

Just let us have SOMETHING.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    A Gold-Pressed Laninum skin for all the ships on the character would be nice, even better if it comes with an inherent accurracy or damage reduction for any Ferengi enemies.

Because who wants to destroy latinum?
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Personally, I'd like Cryptic to rip the band-aid off fast - and suddenly flip the terms Lobi and Gold Pressed Latinum in-game.

No one would lose anything (the value of each item in your inventory stays the same - though the numbers would change). You would now buy ships with Latinum (making it the precious commodity all the NPCs in-game claim it is) and buy next to worthless Holo items with Lobi. Canon satisfied.

Do it Cryptic! Pull off that band-aid in one quick move! Doooooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttt!!!!
    Post edited by captainhunter1 on
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    lopequil wrote: »
    I thought the thing with lobi was a bit of an in-joke where one Ferengi bought up the entire supply to drive the prices up?
    Yeah, the in-game lore isn't that specific. It's a vaguely defined "economics experiment" by a Consortium of wealthy Ferengi. I personally suspect nog's behind it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I'd also like to see a conversion mechanic introduced for both dilithium and lobi crystals (1000 lat = 1 dilithium/lobi)
    If you want the game to become unprofitable and shut down, just say so.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    For starters, Lobi. Lobi is, canonically, next to worthless. Why does the Lobi Store even exist when DS9 indicated you could buy a thousand Lobi crystals for pocket change?
    I always thought the lobi store was an easter egg created by the devs to give us a good laugh. It's funny that people get so serious about lobi and swapping lobi and latinum currencies and at this point it may as well be an FCT.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • captainkenny1captainkenny1 Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    lexusk19 wrote: »

100% agree, the Devs are missing such a market in this game, hell, even selling them as outfits in the store or lobi store.

you can add so much things the player base will like, stuff like a resikan flute (the one that picard plays), Rikers trombone, Data's violin, watch people create ensembles on esd. Tap dance shoes with gpl plating, Dabo girl outfits, there is so many stuff you can do with the GPL Store!
    but also other trinkets that showed up in the series, more regular civilian clothing will also be nice, some new tattoos are welcome too also maybe arm placement, a new design for only 10000 gpl? And if for some people the admiralty doesn't give enough, sell a million Gpl in the C-store for idk 500 zen? Cryptic you are really missing out on this.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Except that we get a ton of Latinum from the Ferengi Admiralty track. So honestly converting GPL to Lobi or Dilithium would harm the market or cut into Cryptic's income. Income that could be used to add more things to the game that we all love.

Transfer the Dilithium Store outfits over to GPL. 1.7-2 mil Dilithium for a CHARACTER unlock is ridiculous.
    And I would like to see more use for GPL as well because outside of getting those account unlock stuff and the trophies... there's really NOTHING to spend it on really. All that Latinum collecting dust...

You mean like blowing lots of money for voice acting cameos for a popcorn TRIBBLE duration in the story? Or the subpar writing? The broken battlezones or the stillborn queues that get swept under in favor of RA harvestings? What about the recycling of events that leave players feeling exhausted with the time-gates? How about the urination and defecation over the space balance revamp, by having leadfoot on the powercreep pedal? Perhaps the missing costumes, broken costume parts, or other promises that were cast aside? Which of the items/actions I just listed, would you love to have injected more? Which ones would you lob your money to have?
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I really wish this would become an FCT already, getting sick of seeing this revolutionary "fix" popping up every other hour on this forum.

The work and confusion that would come with needing to switch lobi and latinum is absolutely not worth it even slightly. And outside of the main stores for each currency, there's still a billion ways to earn latinum currently, so what are we supposed to do about that? Play Dabo to earn lobi? Bribe people with bars of gold-pressed lobi? Maybe we should start changing the rules of acquisition too! "She can touch your lobes, but never your LOBI!" And while we're at it, replace the gold on the Nagus with lobi crystals. And you know what? Since we're just changing everything in the game with absolutely no regard for common sense or any sense of reasonable comprehension of the consequences, I say we change the game to make it more like Star Trek: Command Officer of the Bridge Variety and replace the entire game's code to make it an exact copy of a game that came out a billion years ago for an operating system so old it had to be run on punch cards.

I get it, it doesn't make much sense (Actually, it does. You just have to read into the lore like everyone else is saying and realize that lobi is a CURRENCY with FAKE VALUE like EVERY MODERN CURRENCY EVER), but you can't just drastically change things like that. It's ludicrous to suggest.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I've been considering things that are inconsistent with Star Trek canon recently.

I'm going to stop you right there. This is 'Star Trek, The Game.' Not 'Star Trek, The Placemat' or 'Star Trek, The Canon Story.' Naturally the Devs will try and make it look and feel authentic, but games need to be functionally solid, not canon-accurate per se.

In this game, Lobi is a game mechanic, a means to buy Lobi equipment. And GPL is as good as worthless. Would be ever so nice if we could actually buy something useful with our Latinum one day, though.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    Here's my understanding of why lobi is now valuable:

To start with an Earth example, diamonds are basically worthless and very common. The only reason they are so expensive is because one company owns a monopoly on them. This allows them to restrict how many diamonds are in circulation, thus fixing the price.

Most likely, the lobi crystal consortium has somehow attained a monopoly on the lobi crystals and done the same.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    I personally would like GPL to mean a bit more. Hell 1 million GPL =a lobi or 100 million.

GPL should do....something. Or GPL for phoenix packs. SOMETHING.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    Fact of the matter is... right now there is next to NOTHING worth getting for GPL. We NEED something of value besides the 100 Latinum Party Nullifier.
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    Admiralty cards! They should sell admiralty ships in the GPL store. They could be lower tiers, or even all tiers.