• Options
    shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    eh.... no
    kthxbai
  • Options
    jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Interesting. O_o Though I suppose one could do those in the tailor if one felt inclined. Though the question is begged: Is that an honest to goddess official pic, or a really well done photoshop? Either way, intriguing.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • Options
    vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    That's exactly what I did at game launch, TOS department color-coded TWOK uniforms, with my captain wearing green.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Interesting. O_o Though I suppose one could do those in the tailor if one felt inclined. Though the question is begged: Is that an honest to goddess official pic, or a really well done photoshop? Either way, intriguing.

That's a photoshop. You can simply swap colours these days, it's fascinating what is possible this way pig-2.gif

I like the edit. I think I can even make a TWOK crew now, using these colours. I prefer it to the regular uniforms pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Hey....they used KDF Color Palette!!!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    What's with the grey one?
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    Cadet?
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    That's Saavik isn't it? Wasn't
    she a navigator on the Enterprise, so should be in yellow?
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    That's Saavik isn't it? Wasn't
    she a navigator on the Enterprise, so should be in yellow?

In Wrath of Khan, Saavik was a Cadet. And back in TOS Cadet uniforms were a silver/grey. Saavik had a "flame red" under the uniform Jacket, which according to Memory Alpha was for Cadets, trainees, and Junior Officers. It wasn't until Search for Spock that she wore Command White.
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Starfleet_uniform_(late_2270s-2350s)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > captainkoltar wrote: »
    >
    > That's Saavik isn't it? Wasn't
    > she a navigator on the Enterprise, so should be in yellow?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > In Wrath of Khan, Saavik was a Cadet. And back in TOS Cadet uniforms were a silver/grey. Saavik had a "flame red" under the uniform Jacket, which according to Memory Alpha was for Cadets, trainees, and Junior Officers. It wasn't until Search for Spock that she wore Command White.
    > http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Starfleet_uniform_(late_2270s-2350s)

However she wore a Lt Rank so I wouldn't call her a cadet. And was called Lt more than once.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    Actually... if you look close, I believe in WoK she had a Lt. JG pin on her uniform.
    350?cb=20120316195001&path-prefix=en
    75?cb=20090127230602&path-prefix=en

That would STILL put her in the category of Cadet/Trainee for departmental color, thus... still applicable.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Actually... if you look close, I believe in WoK she had a Lt. JG pin on her uniform.
    350?cb=20120316195001&path-prefix=en
    75?cb=20090127230602&path-prefix=en

That would STILL put her in the category of Cadet/Trainee for departmental color, thus... still applicable.

She could've been proficiency advanced in grade. ;)
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Never liked those uniforms.....too military for my tastes, and too much like a dress uniform......don't look comfy.

I'll stick to the TOS/TMP/TNG ones.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »

Well despite what some people think Starfleet is a military.

"I'm a soldier" James Kirk

Pretty much. Starfleet didn't sit back and let some other organization fight the Klingon War or the Dominion War. It was Starfleet.

In times of peace Starfleet acts a bit more like the Coast Guard on top of missions of Science and Exploration. But... when there's an enemy that threatens the Federation, its Starfleet on the front lines, proving why you don't mess with Starfleet.
  • Options
    > @rattler2 said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    >
    > Well despite what some people think Starfleet is a military.
    >
    > "I'm a soldier" James Kirk
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Pretty much. Starfleet didn't sit back and let some other organization fight the Klingon War or the Dominion War. It was Starfleet.
    >
    > In times of peace Starfleet acts a bit more like the Coast Guard on top of missions of Science and Exploration. But... when there's an enemy that threatens the Federation, its Starfleet on the front lines, proving why you don't mess with Starfleet.

Just ask the Dominion about that one. And look at the composition of Star Fleet after the Dominion war. Most of the older Miranda and Excelsiors and other older ships replaced by Steam Runners, Sabers, Akira's, Defiants, Soverigns. Even the Promethius had gone into limited production. Even the Oberth was replaced by the much better armed Nova and even the Intrepid class proved to be a stout light cruiser.

My overall 2 cents is not that Starfleet is the coast guard. Starfleet is if NASA and the US Navy had a baby.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options

Oh, you want to play that game? pig-2.gif

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond

(thanks @artan42 )

"I'm not a soldier any more. I'm an engineer." -Miles O'Brien
    ...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada... -Admiral Pike

Don't forget that the entire plot of the latest Star Trek movie revolved around that issue.

Further, every single relevant piece of background material will also confirm, even though non-canonical, that Starfleet is not a military organization (I mean sources directly derived from creators and staff, like Gene Roddenberry ("Starfleet is not a military organisation. It is a scientific research and diplomatic body. Although the duties of the Enterprise may include some military responsibilities, the primary purpose of the Enterprise — as with all Starfleet vessels is to expand the body of human knowledge." Source: TOS writer's/directors guide), the Technical Manuals by Sternbach and Okuda ("These duties range from relatively mundane domestic and civil missions, to cultural contact and diplomacy, to defense, to our primary mission of exploration and research." Source: TNG TM, "Starfleet - An organization chartered by the United Federation of Planets, dedicated to exploration, diplomacy, research and defense. It is not primarily a military service in the 20th century sense of the term", Source: Voyager writer's guide)

So...​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness

(thanks @artan42 )

...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada... -Admiral Pike

Don't forget that the entire plot of the latest Star Trek movie revolved around that issue.

Further, every single relevant piece of background material will also confirm, even though non-canonical, that Starfleet is not a military organization (I mean sources directly derived from creators and staff, like Gene Roddenberry ("Starfleet is not a military organisation. It is a scientific research and diplomatic body. Although the duties of the Enterprise may include some military responsibilities, the primary purpose of the Enterprise — as with all Starfleet vessels is to expand the body of human knowledge." Source: TOS writer's/directors guide), the Technical Manuals by Sternbach and Okuda ("These duties range from relatively mundane domestic and civil missions, to cultural contact and diplomacy, to defense, to our primary mission of exploration and research." Source: TNG TM, "Starfleet - An organization chartered by the United Federation of Planets, dedicated to exploration, diplomacy, research and defense. It is not primarily a military service in the 20th century sense of the term", Source: Voyager writer's guide)

So...

*Countlessmorelettersfortheeditmonstereatiteatitandchokeonit*​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    angrytarg wrote: »
    It is not primarily a military service in the 20th century sense of the term", Source: Voyager writer's guide)​​

Seems to be interesting that this had to be said. "In the 20th Century sense of the term". Which implies that Starfleet could be considered one, or fulfills the duties of one.

(Edit Monster Be Gone...)
  • Options
    > @angrytarg said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > Well despite what some people think Starfleet is a military.
    >
    > "I'm a soldier" James Kirk
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Oh, you want to play that game?
    >
    > '...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    > 'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    > 'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    > '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    >
    > (thanks @artan42 )
    >
    > "I'm not a soldier any more. I'm an engineer." -Miles O'Brien
    > ...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada... -Admiral Pike
    >
    > Don't forget that the entire plot of the latest Star Trek movie revolved around that issue.
    >
    > Further, every single relevant piece of background material will also confirm, even though non-canonical, that Starfleet is not a military organization (I mean sources directly derived from creators and staff, like Gene Roddenberry ("Starfleet is not a military organisation. It is a scientific research and diplomatic body. Although the duties of the Enterprise may include some military responsibilities, the primary purpose of the Enterprise — as with all Starfleet vessels is to expand the body of human knowledge." Source: TOS writer's/directors guide), the Technical Manuals by Sternbach and Okuda ("These duties range from relatively mundane domestic and civil missions, to cultural contact and diplomacy, to defense, to our primary mission of exploration and research." Source: TNG TM, "Starfleet - An organization chartered by the United Federation of Planets, dedicated to exploration, diplomacy, research and defense. It is not primarily a military service in the 20th century sense of the term", Source: Voyager writer's guide)
    >
    > So...
    >
    > *Countlessmorelettersfortheeditmonstereatiteatitandchokeonit*​​

Then explain trial by court marshal which is a MILITARY TRIBUNAL which Kirk himself stands during TOS?

I'll be waiting here.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    To borrow from ruinthefun, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, has feathers like a duck, bleeds like a duck, its a duck. People can say "starfleet isn't a military" until the sky falls, a duck is a duck.

Let me quote myself here, as this argument has been made for years and still doesn't help your case pig-2.gif
    angrytarg wrote:
    The family of Anatidae is not only very large with something close to 150 species and a few dozen genera but can and will also be confused with a lot of other water dwelling fowl. The "Duck Equivalence Principle" is a very short sighted and annoying comparison that doesn't work the way people use it 99% of the time.
    talonxv wrote: »
    Then explain trial by court marshal which is a MILITARY TRIBUNAL which Kirk himself stands during TOS?

I'll be waiting here.

By repeating myself. Obviously, Starfleet has court martials but is also, obviously, not a military organization. I don't say Star Trek doesn't have it's contradictions within, but the point of Starfleet not being a military is pretty obvious in every material I have cited above including n entire movie plot. I find it really hard to grasp why some people even go through the motions of rewriting the very thing they see, the very thing that tells them "In this show, X is Y", in their head and then try to convince others that there are actually five lights.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    angrytarg wrote: »

(thanks @artan42 )

So...

*Countlessmorelettersfortheeditmonstereatiteatitandchokeonit*

Two more to add to the sig @angrytarg .

Yeah, it's not a military despite being the defence arm of the Federation. Though that's far too complicated for some people.

Also, Kirk, calling himself a soldier, is clearly telling the truth (despite soldier being a particularly ambiguous term that anybody can apply to themselves) but Picard and Scotty are lying through their teeth (despite being very explicit about the nature of their organisation).

Still, folks gotta space ninja pig-8.gif.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    @artan42 not only do those characters lie in-universe and one quote outweighs six or seven depending on it's content, even the people making the show lie and it takes special skills to really figure out what goes on in it.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    Again the duck thing. Everything the duck equivalence principle shows is ignorance.
    lFC4bt2.gif