test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unending Patch Loop

Mirror 1: steam_api.dll
Error 36: A file was locked that could not be opened for writing.
Restart in 5.
And then it starts all over

Comments

• wazzullwazzull Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having this exact problem right now with the March 8 patch
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    I've been locked out all day, ever since the patch. Loads the game to around 2/3rds on the Cryptic load screen, then immediately crashes to desktop.
  • nixnutz7nixnutz7 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I get past the Cryptic screen. Game crashes on the Emergence screen.
  • malkavian3108malkavian3108 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I'm not even getting to the point where I can enter the game. On the launcher, the patching gets down to 134MB and stalls when it hits 115.2MB but the receiving continues to clock over until it hits about 10G and then resets and continues to receive data all over again in a loop
  • alarah#5444 alarah Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I've been getting the same thing as Malkavian since at least Sunday :(
    edited April 2018
    So far, what I've done to try and fix the problem is....Untick on demand patching and then with ODP ticked. Create a new shortcut directly from the sto exe and tried to download from that in admin, compatibility mode for Win7 and 8 with ODP on and off and then have tries all three again after deleting the cache so that it has to download from scratch and I've done a full uninstall-reinstall twice. Still no cookies and I think the devs at support are starting to get sick of me constantly updating them on just how badly it's all going :/ I've then gone and downloaded Neverwinter (loaded in one shot and plays) and Prime world (same as NW)...not because I want to play them, but just to see if it's my computer or STO that has the problem. I am beginning to strongly suspect that STO have a corrupted file in their download that is causing havoc, particularly for W10. And believe me, If all of the new processors weren't specifically built to support W10 and only W10, then I wouldn't be using the bloody thing. It's the dumb blonde of operating systems (Sure! It's pretty enough to look at, but it doesn't have the brains to think for itself and it won't Shut the bloody hell Up! :/ ) It's times like this I Really miss XP :(
    Post edited by malkavian3108 on
    edited April 2018
    I've gone 2 days now without any word from support, so they are probably just as stumped as I am and are still trying to sort the issue out.......I hope :/

Post edited by malkavian3108 on
  • acromulus#8919 acromulus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I went into a packet log file and found this error:
    180523 18:45:32 48 [1]: transfer failed, trying again for bin/geobin/ol/s/D/D/Dyson_Towers_01.mset (retry 0, compressed)
    180523 18:45:33 49 [1]: transfer failed, trying again for bin/geobin/ol/s/D/D/Dyson_Towers_01.mset (retry 1, compressed)
    180523 18:45:34 50 [1]: transfer failed, trying again for bin/geobin/ol/s/D/D/Dyson_Towers_01.mset (retry 2, compressed)
    180523 18:45:35 51 [1]: transfer failed, trying again for bin/geobin/ol/s/D/D/Dyson_Towers_01.mset (retry 3, compressed)
    180523 18:45:37 52 [1]: transfer failed, trying again for bin/geobin/ol/s/D/D/Dyson_Towers_01.mset (retry 4, compressed)

I assumed that a file is corrupted and therefore deleted all files at the following directory so that the Tribble server launcher can restart a 16gb patch again:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Playtest\piggs

I assume that there is also a directory for the Holodeck server you can find too. It is probably the following:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Live\piggs
  • mneinthmneinth Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    I am also getinng Error 36 during patchinh loop
  • kami#3043 kami Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    My updater gets to 98% and stops. I have looked through troubleshooting options and have tried a lot of them.. still nothing.. I don't understand why my received just keeps going but my patching % doesn't increase.
  • stupidconversionstupidconversion Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    180526 07:13:31 16200 [1]: transfer failed, trying again for platformbin/PC/shaderbin/shaderCacheAtiSm50.hogg (retry 82, compressed)

The specific file differs but this error appears to be common.
  • vicarious85vicarious85 Member Posts: 1 New User
    > @malkavian3108 said:
    > I'm not even getting to the point where I can enter the game. On the launcher, the patching gets down to 134MB and stalls when it hits 115.2MB but the receiving continues to clock over until it hits about 10G and then resets and continues to receive data all over again in a loop

This happened to me yesterday
    I just got an email from my service provider telling me that i have downloaded 800gb of data in 24 hours.
    The patcher is stuck at 115mb / 133mb but continues to download. I am now shaped and can not use or download any other games or updates due to this causing my data cap to be exceeded.
  • ryickryick Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    > @malkavian3108 said:
    > I'm not even getting to the point where I can enter the game. On the launcher, the patching gets down to 134MB and stalls when it hits 115.2MB but the receiving continues to clock over until it hits about 10G and then resets and continues to receive data all over again in a loop

This happened to me yesterday
    I just got an email from my service provider telling me that i have downloaded 800gb of data in 24 hours.
    The patcher is stuck at 115mb / 133mb but continues to download. I am now shaped and can not use or download any other games or updates due to this causing my data cap to be exceeded.

I have been having the same issue for 3 days now. Has anyone heard back from submitting a ticket with PW's official response to this?
  • stupidconversionstupidconversion Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    ryick wrote: »

I have been having the same issue for 3 days now. Has anyone heard back from submitting a ticket with PW's official response to this?

There's another thread on the PC Gameplay Bug Reports forum, someone there has got at least one response back but I don't believe their issue is resolved yet.
  • ryickryick Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    ryick wrote: »

There's another thread on the PC Gameplay Bug Reports forum, someone there has got at least one response back but I don't believe their issue is resolved yet.

Thanks!
  • shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    I'm seeing this same issue as well, even from a fresh install attempt. STO Error logs show CRC errors on one of the downloaded patch files, so Cryptic installer re-downloads the file again, and again, and again, each time encountering the CRC error on unpack.

This sounds like the patch file is corrupt at the patch server or being corrupted in transit. What network ports are used during the patching process? And what compression + validation scheme is being used? Should I be opening any specific Firewall ports if using McAfee Firewall?

• mrfred7mrfred7 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I have the same issue. Just about about reach my data cap before I caught it redownloading the data.
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Pretty poor form there's no catch for repeated requests which fail. Should be throwing up errors on their end that a file is under repeat request for so long as to download an extra 4GB of data...

Seems to be that pesky Dyson_Towers_01.mset file for me too. Gets 50/20151 blocks for it and just sits there stealing bandwidth...
    Post edited by rsoblivion on
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • drakie79drakie79 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    Has this been resolved for anyone? Game was working until the update today and now I get the error36 thing. For people that may have paid for Victory Is Life content this is really bad.
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Well I solved the missing file issue by going to the STO install location:
    <drive>:\STO\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\piggs

Deleting bins.hogg and redownloading all 8GB of it. Rather annoying solution but it worked.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • bigrofethbigrofeth Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    My ticket was responded to this evening. adding
    -patchserver patchserver2.crypticstudios.com to the commandline when running the client worked like a charm.