What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Discovery bridge?

Does discovery come with a bridge?
0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok

Comments

• corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    Just like the NX,... NO! None of the new ships have unique bridges. Supposedly this is due to some in game flag or mechanic. THey use "generic" bridges so that Romulans can fly them too. I don't recall where exactly, but that was in one of the forum threads about the ships or the lockbox.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    corelogik wrote: »
    Just like the NX,... NO! None of the new ships have unique bridges. Supposedly this is due to some in game flag or mechanic. THey use "generic" bridges so that Romulans can fly them too. I don't recall where exactly, but that was in one of the forum threads about the ships or the lockbox.
    Well that sucks, it was one of the incentives for me to get it.

0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Does discovery come with a bridge?

Well, yes, just not unique to it. All ships come with bridges ;)
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    Wow... that's a real let-down. Though I wouldn't hold my breath on it, may be they just couldn't get the bridges done in time for the boxes with all the other stuff going on and might patch them in later.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    Wow... that's a real let-down. Though I wouldn't hold my breath on it, may be they just couldn't get the bridges done in time for the boxes with all the other stuff going on and might patch them in later.

Nope, Cryptic now only does bridges when they use them in a story episode.

• redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User

And who said they're never going to do some story-content in the DIS-era?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator

No... that's full interiors. Bridges they've done for just about every special ship except the NX, the current Bajoran, and the Discovery ships.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    corelogik wrote: »
    THey use "generic" bridges so that Romulans can fly them too.

Generic as in, not even Starfleet? If so, then my odds of buying a Shenzou one day just went from 60% to 0.000000001%
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Generic as in, not even Starfleet? If so, then my odds of buying a Shenzou one day just went from 60% to 0.000000001%

Its possible that they have access to all the standard bridges we have unlocked, like the NX Refit can. And in the case of Romulans, everything available on something that is not a warbird.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    rattler2 wrote: »

No... that's full interiors. Bridges they've done for just about every special ship except the NX, the current Bajoran, and the Discovery ships.

D'oh! You're correct. All Breen ships share one bridge (with no interior), but it's still a custom Breen bridge.
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Wow.... now I'm EXTREMELY disappointed here...
    And I found out in the worst way possible, my first ever lockbox ship and its a halfassed job. I was soo giddy when I was beaming up, only to be met by that god awful Origin bridge...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    technically they did give it the canon bridge its due, just not one accessible from inside...
    screenshot_LCL2018-01-23-21-48-49.jpg

screenshot_LCL2018-01-23-21-47-58.jpg
  • taylor44331taylor44331 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    the Kelvin timeline ships have custom bridges. I have them all.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    It’s pretty disappointing to be honest.
    They may not serve much purpose but they are nice for hanging around on and doing screenshots.
    SulMatuul.png
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Bridges add to much cost to development time. That's the reasoning I hear a lot along with "There are plenty of bridges out there." unless your a Romulan player.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
    Still, players want to play as their captain and crew and part of that is having access to a bridge that fits your story.
    There are plenty of bridges for players yes but most bridges and nearly all interiors are terrible in terms of quality, except for the newest ones.
    The interiors in particular feel oversized, like they are city sized roadways not corridors and the visual styles are pretty dull.

Perhaps a good means to provide bridges would be to open up the bridge option to allow foundry created maps? A lot of games allow some user created content, be it skins or decals etc, would bridges and interiors be a good STO equivalent?
    SulMatuul.png
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    Still, players want to play as their captain and crew and part of that is having access to a bridge that fits your story.
    There are plenty of bridges for players yes but most bridges and nearly all interiors are terrible in terms of quality, except for the newest ones.
    The interiors in particular feel oversized, like they are city sized roadways not corridors and the visual styles are pretty dull.

Perhaps a good means to provide bridges would be to open up the bridge option to allow foundry created maps? A lot of games allow some user created content, be it skins or decals etc, would bridges and interiors be a good STO equivalent?

I don't think that will ever happen. That would require to much development time and resources with little money returned given the current state of the game.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
    Cryptic dropped the ball on this one. I mean of all the lockbox ships these should ALL absolutely have had their unique bridges.
    Its a brand new and CURRENT series, I would think you would want to go the extra mile to attract those fans.
    Such an incredibly missed opportunity.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
    Cryptic just uses the old BS argument of “nobody buys bridges so we don’t make em so nobody buys them”.
    It’s a circular argument and self-fulfilling as of course people won’t buy them if 1)barely any to choose from and 2) they are seriously shoddy and 3) are stupidly overpriced and 4) have zero functionality.

Use the foundry, get gifted players to make them for you and left the players pick the ones they like. Or add some sort of custom option to build your own bridge or something.
    SulMatuul.png
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    Cryptic just uses the old BS argument of “nobody buys bridges so we don’t make em so nobody buys them”.
    It’s a circular argument and self-fulfilling as of course people won’t buy them if 1)barely any to choose from and 2) they are seriously shoddy and 3) are stupidly overpriced and 4) have zero functionality.

Use the foundry, get gifted players to make them for you and left the players pick the ones they like. Or add some sort of custom option to build your own bridge or something.

I'll actually say I don't think Cryptic is being false here. They and CBS WANT to make money. If Bridges and interiors sold well they'd continue with them. They spend Dev time creating what sells on the C-Store or makes players buy keys for Lockboxes.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited January 2018

Since we're still waiting for a bridge for our NX's,...
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    I would have gotten the Walker class just for the fancy bridge... but no bridge, no sale.

The Walker class is worth it. Bridge or no bridge. Though they do need to add a skin option or two. The default is a bit dark in some lighting.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • ash352ash352 Member Posts: 235 Arc User

I'll actually say I don't think Cryptic is being false here. They and CBS WANT to make money. If Bridges and interiors sold well they'd continue with them. They spend Dev time creating what sells on the C-Store or makes players buy keys for Lockboxes.

It's as false as the people selling an item for $6,000,000 and then wondering why they make almost no sales. If you price something ridiculously then you aren't going to make sales. They price bridge packs ridiculously and then use that as a reason why they can't make any more. It's a self fulfilling prophecy and one they created themselves so they don't have to do the work.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    [Mod Hat]

For the people complaining about ships not coming with interiors: this is a Frequently Created Threads topic. https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1159287/frequently-created-threads-f-c-t

@tacofangs previously answered the question as follows:

"Bridges/Interiors take far longer to make than ships. As such, if there is sufficient reason to make a full ship interior (such as the newish Romulan Ship interior, being used all over LoR) we'll make one. If there isn't, we won't. Making a custom bridge, let alone a full interior for the Corvette (while cool) would be a significant investment of time/resources. So, we could have skimped on Risa more, and built an interior, or done what was done, and skipped the interior which would have served little purpose anyway, and went with beefing up Risa.

"Building custom bridges takes longer than a couple of days. Something like the Suliban/Andorian/Tholian Bridges, were each 5 days of Environment work from me. Then it needs design time to hook up any interactables, doors, etc.

"Doing a full interior is significantly longer (i.e. 3 weeks to a month)"

From here: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/11670011#Comment_11670011

[/Mod Hat]
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Yes, it's work. But one has to ask, when you decide your ship interior (where most of the shows played) or ship customization is just not worth it - why bother at all? At some point the important things suffer.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • ash352ash352 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    [Mod Hat]

For the people complaining about ships not coming with interiors: this is a Frequently Created Threads topic. https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1159287/frequently-created-threads-f-c-t

@tacofangs previously answered the question as follows:

"Bridges/Interiors take far longer to make than ships. As such, if there is sufficient reason to make a full ship interior (such as the newish Romulan Ship interior, being used all over LoR) we'll make one. If there isn't, we won't. Making a custom bridge, let alone a full interior for the Corvette (while cool) would be a significant investment of time/resources. So, we could have skimped on Risa more, and built an interior, or done what was done, and skipped the interior which would have served little purpose anyway, and went with beefing up Risa.

"Building custom bridges takes longer than a couple of days. Something like the Suliban/Andorian/Tholian Bridges, were each 5 days of Environment work from me. Then it needs design time to hook up any interactables, doors, etc.

"Doing a full interior is significantly longer (i.e. 3 weeks to a month)"

From here: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/11670011#Comment_11670011

[/Mod Hat]

While I understand the intent of the post, let me clarify what I meant. Making one from scratch is one thing, not actually using the assets they have already made is entirely another. Once an asset is made it is almost never retroactively used to upgrade something in game. We have full Tal Shiar, Iconian, Elachi, Universe, Tzenkethi, and Krenim interiors. (If not more that I can't remember right now) Will those ever be used to upgrade the interiors of those ships? The work is already done to make the assets, the time was already invested. Those 3 weeks to a month WAS done already and the only issue is the "5 days" to hook up the doors as the rest doesn't need to be intractable since the bridge itself contains all of that stuff. Why can't we have THOSE interiors added for free to the matching ships and then charge 500 or so Zen to have a character wide unlock using it? If they want to make money and it costs far to much to make it all from scratch, USE WHAT YOU HAVE.

The problem for me is less one of "it takes significant time to make the assets from scratch." I fully understand that part of it. The core of the issue is not taking the already made assets and just doing the last connection bits to allow for a fully explorable interior. Things like the new Galaxy interior show that they're already going to do the work for some things but why not all of it? If the art assets were already made and shipped, why not do it for the rest of the ships that could have them potentially earning more profit off those items from people buying them for the cool interior to wander around in without needing to load up and fight enemies? For that matter why are Experimental Weapons using old art assets that are already in the game not being made as they would only require new coding to give ships that never got one, that SHOULD have a custom one?

Those are the types of things I take issue with. Those types of deflections trying to hide behind, "We need to make all new art!" when it's entirely not the case. When the art is already made and something isn't done that's deflection and looks bad to me.
    The quote of Tacofangs actually is not only out of context but not relevant at all.

Until now lockbox ships have always been released with a custom Bridge, whether they have been used in game content or not. Its part of the package deal. I mean how many of all these obscure alien bridges have actually ever featured in ANY content? very few, and of the Kelvin stuff ONLY the Konnie Bridge has been used for game content, the Vengeance is purely a player only perk.
    And here lies the problem, the omission of unique Bridges now represents a serious reduction in the quality of lockbox ships.
    We still pay as much as always to get the keys, but this time around we're getting significantly less value for the money invested in getting these ships(for those of us that choose to go that route). And frankly, I find that rather unacceptable.

And I don't believe for a moment that the bridges in these ships aren't popular or unwanted. Whenever a new lockbox ship is released one of the first things I invariably hear in chats is: "what's the bridge like?" "can you show me the bridge?" "OMG you guys this bridge is awesome!" etc.
    And I know many in my fleet and social channels have even stated flat out "no bridge, no purchase".