test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Disney buys 21st Century Fox, Now Owns Controlling Stake in Hulu

mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
edited December 2017 in Ten Forward
I've said it for years. The sleeping giant is awake, and BOOM...

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/walt-disney-company-acquire-twenty-first-century-fox-inc-spinoff-certain-businesses-52-4-billion-stock-2/

This is a fascinating, and potentially unsettling, development (one that has been rumored for weeks now, if you follow this stuff). The expanse of this purchase is mind-boggling. Short of passing final regulatory checks, Disney now owns:
  • All FOX Marvel properties in TV and Film
  • The rights to Star Wars: A New Hope
  • Shows ranging from The X-Files, The Orville, The Simpsons, etc, etc.
  • production houses 20th Century Fox, Fox Searchlight, and Fox 2000
  • All FX Networks
  • All regional FSN networks (wildly important to MLB and college sports)

Basically, the only Fox assets that Disney does NOT own are Fox News, Fox Business, Fox broadcast networks, FS1, FS2, and the Big Ten Network.

Oh, yeah, they also now owns majority stake in Hulu. From the press release, it sounds like they will keep Hulu separate from the Disney streaming service and the ESPN streaming service coming in 2019. I think NBC Universal is the only remaining network that shares in Hulu, and I would not be surprised if they pull out of it completely, or get bought out.

Netflix is so dead, LOL.
d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah, Disney is really pushing the boundaries of the anti-trust laws... hmm... hard to say what this really means though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    I suppose this could get into legal hot water, just like the AT&T merger with Time Warner. However, THAT is more egregious than a Disney/Fox merger, IMO. It's more along the lines of the Comcast/NBCUniversal merger... content, news, broadcasting outlets, and the telecom network to transmit it all on... THAT is a monopoly.

One of the things Disney was apparently interested in, and got in the deal, is better worldwide footholds in Europe and India. If that is the case, it makes sense from their business perspective to go after the networks they purchased. I thought this would more be a content acquisition, but it's much bigger.
    valoreah wrote: »
    Worth it just to see what Marvel will do to bring X-Men, Deadpool and Fantastic Four into the MCU! :smiley:

Yes, creatively, I'm very excited about both Marvel's and Lucasfilm's futures.

It's especially big for Marvel, as this brings just about everything back under one roof... which will make comic book fans happy, as this likely ends the conspiracy theory (?) that Marvel killed off X-Men books to choke off Fox's effort. With that road block gone, the books AND the movies/shows can go in any direction they want... save for the few remaining outliers.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Yeah, Disney is really pushing the boundaries of the anti-trust laws...
    No surprise there. 35 years ago, the mainstream media was owned by, like 50 or so companies, now it's only about 5 or 6.

dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,016 Community Moderator
    valoreah wrote: »
    IIRC there is just the Hulk still with Universal and Spider-Man with Sony... unless there are oddball character ones around here and there.

Um... you forget about something?
    Spider-Man_Homecoming_poster.jpg
    Pretty sure Spiderman is MCU now.

Also would like to see a DECENT Fantastic 4 movie come about from this. Last one was ok but a bit of a snooze. And pretty sure the fact Hulk was in Avengers as well as the recent Thor movie means Hulk's over too.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    @rattler2, while Spider-Man: Homecoming is an MCU movie, and Sony and Marvel have a deal in place... Sony still owns the film rights, and can choose to walk away from Disney once their deal ends.

They'd be stupid to do so, of course, and would run the risk of ultimately losing the film rights completely (as no one will support MCU-less Spidey, long-term).

But @valoreah is right. Universal owns Hulk, and Spider-Man is still a Sony property.
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    This level of conglomeration is disturbing, but let us also remember that Fox owns the Alien franchise. This purchase means that all offspring of the alien queen become Disney Princess.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    No surprise there. 35 years ago, the mainstream media was owned by, like 50 or so companies, now it's only about 5 or 6.

And some people wonder why there is a lack of trust in news produced by mainstream media. If an organization controls the information that people receive, then they control people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkxg03z2PEo

edited December 2017
    This level of conglomeration is disturbing, but let us also remember that Fox owns the Alien franchise. This purchase means that all offspring of the alien queen become Disney Princess.
    and now I have a picture in my head of a Xenomorph dressed in a princess gown... :D
    7927fa4f83b2e0eb1abfe5ee0e4d04207a76eb96f38e6e2f976b5d47a8c105d4_1.jpg
    It's not exactly what I had in my mind but... it's not a photoshop.. it's a photo of a cosplayer. O-o'
    tumblr_m9lg6eIEox1qao1lqo1_500.jpg
    That was way too funny not to share.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Someone pointed out today that Fox owned The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Which means that Dr. Frank N. Furter is now the newest Disney Princess. :smiley:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    tumblr_mab0owHgfs1rdu521o2_1280.jpg
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Apparently about 20 years ago The Simpsons showed the Fox logo and down at the bottom it said "a division of Walt Disney Corp".
    Pics or it didn't happen :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Someone pointed out today that Fox owned The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Which means that Dr. Frank N. Furter is now the newest Disney Princess. :smiley:

Certainly fits for the present reality where people can choose their race and gender. If a white man can become a Filipino woman without undergoing surgery to make them actually look like a Filipino woman, then race and gender are meaningless.
    starkaos wrote: »

And some people wonder why there is a lack of trust in news produced by mainstream media. If an organization controls the information that people receive, then they control people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkxg03z2PEo

Because there IS none.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsL6mKxtOlQ <
    THIS.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    > @markhawkman said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > Apparently about 20 years ago The Simpsons showed the Fox logo and down at the bottom it said "a division of Walt Disney Corp".
    >
    >
    >
    > Pics or it didn't happen :p

https://www.google.com/amp/ew.com/tv/2017/12/14/the-simpsons-predicted-disney-fox/amp/

Here you go.
    Idiots... they covered up the important part! Hmm... maybe youtube?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ltQ_2by2UY
    That's better.

But seriously, they made so many sarcastic jokes on that show that it was a given some of them would accidentally hit the mark.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    > @markhawkman said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > Apparently about 20 years ago The Simpsons showed the Fox logo and down at the bottom it said "a division of Walt Disney Corp".
    >
    >
    >
    > Pics or it didn't happen :p

https://www.google.com/amp/ew.com/tv/2017/12/14/the-simpsons-predicted-disney-fox/amp/

Here you go.
    Idiots... they covered up the important part! Hmm... maybe youtube?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ltQ_2by2UY
    That's better.

But seriously, they made so many sarcastic jokes on that show that it was a given some of them would accidentally hit the mark.

Or maybe hollywood knows ahead of time before us? And most just shrug it off, sadly.
    To me, there is no coincidence, everything happens for a reason.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    Life can be pretty predicable if you know a bit about how people tend to act. You of course cant be 100% but you can make some pretty good guesses if your paying attention to the world around you.
    Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
    Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)
    bwleon7 wrote: »
    Life can be pretty predicable if you know a bit about how people tend to act. You of course cant be 100% but you can make some pretty good guesses if your paying attention to the world around you.

Or someone's telling 'em.

Best way to hide something is put in plain sight, often. o.o
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Well, making statements about things that seem likely will get you a few right predictions even if you have now real idea.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    You know who else is now a "Disney Princess"?
    latest?cb=20130410133950
    RIPLEY!