• Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »
    [...]
    [...]To say that Space Barbie is wrong is

I did not do that. Please don't project.

I explicitly said it is part of the game. But throwing away the one thing that is arguably where most of STO's code execution happens, most of the development effort gets put into and most of the game activity is geared towards, which is combat, that just means you are not playing the game.

Which, yes, is perfectly fine, but a waste.

Besides, playing the role of a starship captain will involve managing and improving the ship for all its tasks, including combat.

And I do improve my ship where I am able to. I do play the story when I feel like it. There are many ways to play this game and any number of games. I most certainly AM playing the game even when I'm not involved in combat. However I have nothing to 'prove' to you, so I won't go into any explanations of what I do when I log onto the game. Every time anyone logs onto STO, they are most certainly 'playing' the game. That they're not involving themselves in combat in no way diminishes the fact that they are still 'playing the game'.

Only you see any other aspect of the game except for combat as a waste. Which is also perfectly fine for you. I do not see it that way and both of us are right when it comes to the way that *WE* choose to play our games. There is no right or wrong way to play any game, in my opinion.

That is the beauty of this one. I can play it my way and be just as 'right' in how I play it as you are whenever you log on.

There is a wrong way to play multiplayer games actually. It's called being a griefer. If your sole purpose in the game is to ruin the experience of other players in the game...than you are most definately doing it wrong.

Okay, in this I do agree with. Griefers are the only ones 'doing it wrong'. I stand corrected. However, if one wants to play space barbie, go mining, hang around at one of the starbases/public hubs and play Dabo or club dance then they most certainly are playing their game right for them.

STO is much more than just flying around only doing combat. But if that's all one player wants to do, then I have no problem with them only doing that. I just have a problem with them turning around and telling me I'm doing it wrong because I'm not playing like they do. Or that I'm not 'playing the game' for the same reasons.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    No, I don't want to do elite queues because for me that's not fun.

I'm one of those players who plays STO chiefly for what has been so scornfully nicknamed "Space Barbie." I come to play as a Starfleet, Romulan Republic or KDF captain. One who has been near perfectly customised in appearance and class to the way I want them to be along with their bridge officers in the ships I want. (For there is a plentiful enough selection at T6.) I mainly play for the storyline missions and while sometimes I wish Cryptic would hire better writers, for the most part they're fun and entertaining enough to whittle away a few hours. But I also play with two roleplaying fleets where we write our own interesting stories backed up occasionally by a custom-made Foundry mission. I do all this because its fun and for me personally, the right way to play STO. Might not be yours or anyone elses, but it is mine.

Now I admit combat plays a fairly large role in STO and I have put a bit of time into gearing up my ships and characters so that my two or three best ones can pull between 15-18k with the rest closer to 10-11k. Its not really a part of the game I enjoy but its necessary so I'm pulling my own weight in the queues I do participate in. Sure that means I pretty much melt everything in my path in story missions but that's okay. Its fun for me to feel like a powerful space barbie. As for queues I mostly play just for marks so I can fill out my reputations so normal with the occasional advanced is also okay for me. I also participating in doffing, crafting, admiralty and all that stuff and I'm most definately 'playing the game' when I'm doing all those crafty non-combat things.

I play to forget the real world for awhile, and all of the above helps me do this. And for me, that's the right way to play STO. Might not be for anyone else though. There are those who play for PvP, those who enjoy min/maxing every little fine tuned detail of their ships because that's fun for them and that's totally the right way for them to play their STO. The only exception of course are griefers, but that's a whole other story.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    I like Space Barbie. I also like running the missions in the game. I've only run a queue once, and that was on a whim, with a group of friends - we were hanging out on Risa during a summer event, and just decided we'd go run one in our "subpar" ships and see how we did. (Don't remember the name, but it was in fluidic space.) We bumbled through it, probably missed an optional, and had fun. I flew a Risian Cruiser, the RXS Latinum Princess.

Any Elite group would have lynched me. There in a nutshell is why I don't run Elites. Besides, with my rampant altitis, I have yet to complete much of the game - I only have one captain who's even cleared the Borg missions, and two who've done Breen. My oldest is still mucking about in Delta Quadrant.

(Something similar in CO - I've pushed one toon through the crisis in Lemuria, and two all the way through the Apocalypse in Vibora Bay, but I keep getting sidetracked by new ideas. Currently leveling Weapon Xmas, in hopes of having him ready before Clarence arrives later this week... And I still have yet to find the story hook that leads beneath the volcano on the north end of Monster Island.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    That's what you get when you open mouth and insert foot. There is much more to STO besides combat and we've laid it out for you. There is no strawman.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    Actually you started it by asking me about whether I was bothered by essentially target-shooting and when I replied that I wasn't, you started in with the space barbie. That's what I and the others were answering to, because you essentially said that we weren't 'playing the game' if we weren't in some sort of combat. We respectfully disagreed with you.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    Your thread title, Soph, specifically calls on everyone to start queuing for Elites.

Is echatty not "everyone"? Are those of us who enjoy getting our ships and toons to look just right not "everyone"?

If you wish to address a thread to a specific subset of STO players, I respectfully suggest you either locate it in a more specialized subforum, or title it more carefully. This one certainly seems addressed to literally everybody in the game. And your snarky, disrespectful attitude toward "Space Barbie" players is what kicked this entire divergence off. You don't seem to wish to understand such players, merely to disparage.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    I like this thread. It is exciting
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    Your thread title, Soph, specifically calls on everyone to start queuing for Elites.

Is echatty not "everyone"? Are those of us who enjoy getting our ships and toons to look just right not "everyone"?

If you wish to address a thread to a specific subset of STO players, I respectfully suggest you either locate it in a more specialized subforum, or title it more carefully. This one certainly seems addressed to literally everybody in the game. And your snarky, disrespectful attitude toward "Space Barbie" players is what kicked this entire divergence off. You don't seem to wish to understand such players, merely to disparage.

Thank you.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    It doesn't matter how bad your build is.
    It doesn't matter how bad you think you play.
    It doesn't matter if there are some "I never want to fail, I'll rather not play than fail!" naysayers in your team.

Queue up on Elite. The only way those queues get filled is if people queue up. Publicly. Not in some private group that guarantees a swift victory by overpowering anything the mission. Play with a risk to fail.

And if you get shred to pieces, it doesn't matter. Queue up. You'll enable others to play, you'll possibly have a few glorious moments even then, and even if not, you might find out something about your ship or your captain.

Queue up. On Elite. Publicly.

(Every replier who misses the point gets a virtual cookie.)

Well, first off, your post seems to go against the design intent of elite queues.
    Warning: The new Elite mode is far and away the hardest content we have put into Star Trek Online. We expect you to not just be outfitted in great gear, but have become proficient in the Normal and Advanced versions of the events as well. You should be a master of your character and your ship, as well as knowing what your teammates are capable of doing. You should also know what to expect from the enemy you will be fighting as well.

... you will also want some top-end gear, and for space, the best possible ship. Mission objectives that were optional in Advanced mode are now required. This means failure to abide by those timers or other mission parameters will mean a premature end to your experience. In addition, if all the Captains are “dead” (or their ships destroyed) at the same time, the event automatically fails. If that wasn’t enough challenge for you, there is now another, new, optional objective to complete for a bonus reward...

...this is not a mode we expect all players to be able to eventually complete. This is a mode that will result in many failed attempts before a successful strategy is struck upon, and even then, that strategy should take practice and precision to pull off on a continual basis.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7006643-queue-revamp

Assuming the blog is correct, and other posters are also accurate in their descriptions of "Elite Queue's Difficulty", then it's reasonable to assume most players cannot complete the content. So... why do you want to promote a failed lemming-rush on elite content? I'm not seeing the fun in mass failure.

Are you hoping this will be the moment that a player realizes they cannot complete queued content? Isn't that the reason they were not playing it in the first place? "Holy socks. I really can not complete elite queues. I just never realized it before." Then, what? You feel this will prompt players to improve their "gameplay" so they CAN complete elite queues? Why would this work now? If players were content yesterday to not participate in queued content, then the issue is probably with the content itself. If you want more players in your PUBLIC queues, you need to lower the difficulty or change the format so more people are willing to play the content. If you increase the rewards, you will just increase the number of PRIVATELY created queues.
  • Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if there are some "I never want to fail, I'll rather not play than fail!" naysayers in your team.

Queue up on Elite. The only way those queues get filled is if people queue up. Publicly. Not in some private group that guarantees a swift victory by overpowering anything the mission. Play with a risk to fail.

And if you get shred to pieces, it doesn't matter. Queue up. You'll enable others to play, you'll possibly have a few glorious moments even then, and even if not, you might find out something about your ship or your captain.

Well, first off, your post seems to go against the design intent of elite queues.
    Warning: The new Elite mode is far and away the hardest content we have put into Star Trek Online. We expect you to not just be outfitted in great gear, but have become proficient in the Normal and Advanced versions of the events as well. You should be a master of your character and your ship, as well as knowing what your teammates are capable of doing. You should also know what to expect from the enemy you will be fighting as well.

... you will also want some top-end gear, and for space, the best possible ship. Mission objectives that were optional in Advanced mode are now required. This means failure to abide by those timers or other mission parameters will mean a premature end to your experience. In addition, if all the Captains are “dead” (or their ships destroyed) at the same time, the event automatically fails. If that wasn’t enough challenge for you, there is now another, new, optional objective to complete for a bonus reward...

...this is not a mode we expect all players to be able to eventually complete. This is a mode that will result in many failed attempts before a successful strategy is struck upon, and even then, that strategy should take practice and precision to pull off on a continual basis.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7006643-queue-revamp

Assuming the blog is correct, and other posters are also accurate in their descriptions of "Elite Queue's Difficulty", then it's reasonable to assume most players cannot complete the content. So... why do you want to promote a failed lemming-rush on elite content? I'm not seeing the fun in mass failure.

Are you hoping this will be the moment that a player realizes they cannot complete queued content? Isn't that the reason they were not playing it in the first place? "Holy socks. I really can not complete elite queues. I just never realized it before." Then, what? You feel this will prompt players to improve their "gameplay" so they CAN complete elite queues? Why would this work now? If players were content yesterday to not participate in queued content, then the issue is probably with the content itself. If you want more players in your PUBLIC queues, you need to lower the difficulty or change the format so more people are willing to play the content. If you increase the rewards, you will just increase the number of PRIVATELY created queues.

The OP's idea, is that if enough people (scrubs or otherwise) start queueing for Elite, then Elite queues will start popping again, rather than not having enough players.

Nice in principle, in so much as it could encourage others to engage more content. But also with the unavoidable fact that some of those queueing, won't be up to the standard required to play said level, so while the Elite Player gets their content, the other player(s) get the frustration of not being up to the standard, and potentially (likely) derided for their failure.

And you're absolutely right: There is no fun in that...

As I said previously, I won't be doing it, because I don't have a ship suitable to tackle the content, and I'm not willing to spend out resources on making a ship suitable to tackle the content, because of the toxicity of the playerbase. I'm not prepared to inconvenience myself (or spend my resources) just to fail content, and be flamed for it, by the very players who, without my(or the hypothetical other players presence) wouldn't even be able to engage in the content of that queue.

That's not why I play the game. I could be using my time in game to be doing other things.

Like this...

IV1oKTz.jpg

or this...

48IsQRs.jpg

or this...

19csPcI.jpg

:wink:
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »

I could not have imagined the demand for cookies.

Guys, reading an OP and not just a thread title is something you are expected to do before replying.

Your title may have been off...but your OP was fine. That ain't what cause the foot in mouth syndrome. It's your replies that followed some people not wanting to accept your request in the OP that caused the problems. No seriously...re-read your replies and find where you went wrong. If you don't realize just how offensive you were...well...I'm sorry, but I just can't fix stupid.

I read the OP as well and replied as to why his offer was less than tempting. Then I got derided for it with his derogatory Space Barbie comment, which effectively insulted every other Space Barbie, including the ones who actually play elite.

And then he went even further with his "If you're not doing combat, you're not 'playing the game'." insult.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Now don’t get me wrong – I’m not saying that normal and advanced versions of Korfez would mean we would suddenly find PuGs completing it, but the fact remains that Korfez is impossible for the vast majority of the playerbase and there is no way of learning how to play it; PuGs play it on Elite (as no other option). And what do these PuGs who try it find? A mission where your ship gets repeatedly obliterated by the first ship they encounter, never progresses beyond the first wave and offers no reward – and just to add insult to injury you get (NPC) Harry Kim telling you that you are a failure. Players in said PuG warp out and NEVER look at playing again (evidenced by the fact that – from my experience – there is almost never anyone queued for it).

And I’m sorry, but I am of the opinion that a STF which is outside the ability of 99% of the playerbase to complete is a complete waste of server space.
    I bet 99% of players have never even tried it in it's current condition and never will because it rewards bunk. And wouldn't play it even if it had a Normal or Advanced version. Just like most of the queues these days, of any difficulty.

I played Korfez a few times when it was new, it wasn't that hard back then (unless you drew benthans then it was instant fail, I think they fixed that at some point), but it wasn't worth "grinding" since it rewarded nothing special so...been there, done that, gonna play something else, now.
  • Options
    Actually, I don't care what you think of me. You derailed your own thread with your comments to me.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »

The OP's idea, is that if enough people (scrubs or otherwise) start queueing for Elite, then Elite queues will start popping again, rather than not having enough players.

Nice in principle, in so much as it could encourage others to engage more content. But also with the unavoidable fact that some of those queueing, won't be up to the standard required to play said level, so while the Elite Player gets their content, the other player(s) get the frustration of not being up to the standard, and potentially (likely) derided for their failure.

And you're absolutely right: There is no fun in that...

As I said previously, I won't be doing it, because I don't have a ship suitable to tackle the content, and I'm not willing to spend out resources on making a ship suitable to tackle the content, because of the toxicity of the playerbase. I'm not prepared to inconvenience myself (or spend my resources) just to fail content, and be flamed for it, by the very players who, without my(or the hypothetical other players presence) wouldn't even be able to engage in the content of that queue.

That's not why I play the game. I could be using my time in game to be doing other things.

Like this...

IV1oKTz.jpg

or this...

48IsQRs.jpg

or this...

19csPcI.jpg

:wink:

Love that list pick of the dreadnought. Very cool.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Tell what Soph, you want a challenge? Tide of Ice, 0 Snorg escapees, and 0 times of you getting frozen.

Proof of completion will be accepted in the form of a youtube video. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    And you guys now expect me to think highly of you as you derail my thread with all this nonsense, I susppose.
    No one cares what you think of them. Your vague assertion that the "thread is derailed" seems very on topic to me. You put forth a "lets come together and save the queues - elite edition" thread, and people are going to point out flaws in your implementation.

Players were not playing Elite content yesterday. Why should they play it today? Other than you personally asking people to queue up, nothing is different. The experience is the same. Maybe, you should address some concerns rather than rant about "why isn't everyone blindly following my public appeal?".

You are doing a poor job of selling the elite queues, by the way. "So what if you are pitifully outmatched and the mission will end in three minutes when you blow the first optional. Losing is fun! Look for opportunities of glory in your failure!". Yeah... no.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    OK, the Space Barbie comments were unnecessary, but let's please stop attacking one another and get back to the topic, or we can just end this discussion.

jrAoIir.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Love that list pick of the dreadnought. Very cool.
    Thank you :sunglasses:

"I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    most, if not all elite public queues have actually no place in the public group finder, imho. Many people form groups for elite content in private channels, since there they find the people capable of completing them adequately. If you so desperately need to do elite queues, join these channels and ask for people if they'd like to join you...problem solved.

Even if tomorrow many people would start joining the elite queues, most of them are ill equipped, both in terms of items and skill to do them. Appart from that, asking here on this platform will not engage the masses required to significantly boost enrollment in these queues anyway...it is a save bet to say that more than 90% of the playerbase, you are trying to reach will never see this thread.
    Go pro or go home
This discussion has been closed.