test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Current Foundry Status - UP (missions and editor) - Up on tribble

mattjohnsonvamattjohnsonva Member Posts: 4,974 Arc User
As it says, pretty boring doing the same old repetitive missions and patrols Cryptic grant us. Guys, if you want us to continue buying your ships to explore the galaxy please switch the galaxy back on!
Post edited by mattjohnsonva on

Comments

• martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    Seconded. For the first time in months I have an itch to play in the Foundry, and of course it is down. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow's patch, but I'm not super hopeful at this point.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    I highly dout that cryptic is keeping the foundry down just to spite us like it's heavily implied on this thread, guys have you ever thought that maybe the reason there's no ETA given is that Cryptic themselves have "at earliest at this date" time and seeing as any date is seen as ironclad "it must absolutely happen at this date" they're unwilling to give a date they most likely can't reach anyway.
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    As it says, pretty boring doing the same old repetitive missions and patrols Cryptic grant us. Guys, if you want us to continue buying your ships to explore the galaxy please switch the galaxy back on!

Seconded. It's really getting repetitive now.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    It's gone! :O
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • lewtonpllewtonpl Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    If they don't want to be specific at least they could be vague. For example in 3 or 4 weeks.
    If I was in their shoes I'd say a later date; if there are delays you still have time and if you follow the schedule you look like hardworking guys who were working extra to get it done.
    It's possible they're doing something to it and don't want to get our hopes up ... or they broke it :O
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They are trying to figure out how to bring back the Daily Officer Reports without giving out anything worthwhile. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ... or mayhaps someone messed up with the servers and accidentally deleted the totality of Foundry missions?...
    lewtonpl wrote: »
    If they don't want to be specific at least they could be vague. For example in 3 or 4 weeks.
    If I was in their shoes I'd say a later date; if there are delays you still have time and if you follow the schedule you look like hardworking guys who were working extra to get it done.

the thing is that there's a decent portion of people who take anything Cryptic says in the worst possible light in effort to find something to insult them so as odd as it might sound the best option in this case seems to be to say nothing at all. Sure I'd love to get an update but at same time I can see why they're unwilling to give us any, when 2/3 of the posts are nothing but pointless doom and gloom and if they anything, anything at all it's seen as confirmation to those "doom and gloom" posts.
    All hope is lost! Abandon ship ... Abandon ship!!!!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    spiritborn wrote: »

the thing is that there's a decent portion of people who take anything Cryptic says in the worst possible light in effort to find something to insult them so as odd as it might sound the best option in this case seems to be to say nothing at all. Sure I'd love to get an update but at same time I can see why they're unwilling to give us any, when 2/3 of the posts are nothing but pointless doom and gloom and if they anything, anything at all it's seen as confirmation to those "doom and gloom" posts.

I was just jesting, naturally. I doubt something as serious as all Foundry missions being gone would ever happen. Besides, I'd think Cryptic would let us know if such a serious problem had occured with the Foundry.
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    My hope, is that its been down so long because Cryptic are finally moving it past the beta stage......... but I highly doubt it
    edited October 2017
    ashstorm1 wrote: »

I was just jesting, naturally. I doubt something as serious as all Foundry missions being gone would ever happen. Besides, I'd think Cryptic would let us know if such a serious problem had occured with the Foundry.
    the thing is that jesting like that is really hard to see in writing so if there's no smilie or other clear indication that you're joking. It's treated as being dead serious. So saying those things even as jest ends up being counterproductive and makes the devs even less willing to give us updates.

I said in previous thread that I'd wish the foundry would be back for my birthday, which is on the 30th so it seems unlikely that'll happen it could be I won't rage if it doesn't, I prefer a working foundry when it's ready to non-functioning foundry on my birthday anyway.

EDIT:oh and it wasn't missions but Neverwinter foundry devs were able to make their asset database unuseble so bugs of that magnitude are possible but if something that big would have happen I suspect we would have heard about it.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    From Ten Forward Weekly: Soon (but not tomorrow). Issue has been identified and a fix is on the way.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • spock#1073 spock Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Dang. I was hoping once I read about the maintenance. Oh, well. Back to 2460's and the suggestions thread...
    From Ten Forward Weekly: Soon (but not tomorrow). Issue has been identified and a fix is on the way.

What I thought to be honest which is why I said that it's unlikely that the Foundry will be back up for my birthday (which is on next Monday) but I'm glad to know that the problem seems to have been identified and will be fixed ASAP.
    so next Thursday then? :S
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited October 2017
    We don't know, what we were told is that it wouldn't be today but soon. As they merely have to flip a switch from what I understand it could be any time.

well that depends on what is the issue that prevented the foundry from coming back, if it's something that needs patching our client I wouldn't expect it before next Thursday but if it's something that's only on their end then it could be any day as from our point of view it's just flipping a switch.

EDIT:I assume Kael is being intentionally vague as to not give us a promice he might not be able to keep.
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @mattjohnsonva said:
    > From the Dev over at Neverwinter:
    > nitocris83 wrote:
    >
    > >Hi everyone! We are working to get the Foundry back up as quickly as possible (after it gets disabled with module releases). This time our Core team detected an issue that was impacting both Neverwinter and Star Trek Online Foundries so it may take a couple weeks to get it up. Our goal is to make sure it doesn't take as long as it's previously been after some releases.

But it’s already been longer
    edited October 2017

No, it hasn't.

The devs told us just last week what the status of the Foundry is and when we might be seeing it return (the post you quoted was from two days ago). Keyword: might. Devs are busy people with a lot of responsibilities. They have to juggle those as best they can. Consequently, things may take longer than originally estimated (which it hasn't yet). So, even if the Foundry isn't back up next week, it still isn't a big deal. The Foundry is largely supported through the dev's volunteered time (we can't ask it to be their number one priority) and these brief spurts of downtime are well worth waiting through. It is a very special system and it has a wonderful community attached to it.

So, as with building anything in the editor: patience is key and the lack there of won't bring the Foundry back any faster. So, just sit tight. If you're looking to build then you can use this time to plan, outline, use boffs to design characters, and write dialog.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!

No, it hasn't.

The devs told us just last week what the status of the Foundry is and when we might be seeing it return (the post you quoted was from two days ago). Keyword: might. Devs are busy people with a lot of responsibilities. They have to juggle those as best they can. Consequently, things may take longer than originally estimated (which it hasn't yet). So, even if the Foundry isn't back up next week, it still isn't a big deal. The Foundry is largely supported through the dev's volunteered time (we can't ask it to be their number one priority) and these brief spurts of downtime are well worth waiting through. It is a very special system and it has a wonderful community attached to it.

So, as with building anything in the editor: patience is key and the lack there of won't bring the Foundry back any faster. So, just sit tight. If you're looking to build then you can use this time to plan, outline, use boffs to design characters, and write dialog.
    btw Duncan are you still having a break with roundtable this week or will you do a stream?
    btw Duncan are you still having a break with roundtable this week or will you do a stream?

We'll be doing a classic liveplay tomorrow at 6:30est (hour earlier than normal.) :)

We'll be doing a classic liveplay tomorrow at 6:30est (hour earlier than normal.) :)
    So on sunday then? well technically on monday for me.
    edited October 2017
    We don't know, what we were told is that it wouldn't be today but soon. As they merely have to flip a switch from what I understand it could be any time.

well that depends on what is the issue that prevented the foundry from coming back, if it's something that needs patching our client I wouldn't expect it before next Thursday but if it's something that's only on their end then it could be any day as from our point of view it's just flipping a switch.

EDIT:I assume Kael is being intentionally vague as to not give us a promice he might not be able to keep.

No, it hasn't.

Yes I would echo those sentiments with one proviso. The foundry needs more priority time, employ a full time foundry dev if necessary. Cryptic, as they so often do, are sitting on a veritable gold mine with the foundry. It is a unique system I've not seen elsewhere that provides for massively extended gameplay to the paltry 140 or so missions in the game, a fraction of the amount of quests you would find in other MMOs. Cryptic are good at getting people to play STO but do little to keep them here at end game. Handled correctly the foundry could be one of the tools they use to develop end game so that, the creative amongst their player base at leaset, can continue to enjoy STO well after they've finished running everything else for the umpteenth time. It is under-utilised, unfinished and bug ridden, more so even than their main game. Whilst I don't want to sound churlish or unappreciative of the unpaid hours put into the foundry I think it's time it was given the full-on attention it deserves.

You'll get no arguments from me but then convincing the people with money to give the budget for a full time foundry dev or even just giving the foundry some priority development time is another thing. I'm sure those dev who work on the foundry would love to give it the love it deserves but at the moment the people with the money feel it's not worth it.

EDIT:I might even argue that the fact that some devs are working on the foundry as an unpaid side project means it's getting the love it deserves from the devs.
  • rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    Some devs said it was to alter code in Foundry to make it load missions faster, but it wouldn't hurt to give the many dedicated fans a time frame to reduce the pain.
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy