test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mission: Diplomatic Orders

tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
Has anyone played the mission Diplomatic Orders recently? It's been changed to add the Challenger to the mission, with Geordi contacting you after killing the Undine ship instead of Thelin of the Kirk.

It also seems he may have replaced Quinn as the mission-giver after that.
tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
Post edited by tyler002 on

Comments

• jarenriccarjarenriccar Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    He's part of the task force that helps you take down the Undine ship at P'Jem
    27507930894_3855d74146_o.jpg

• alfred399alfred399 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    Hmm...seems an odd place to put him
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User
    He met us before, I take it.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    U.S.S. Challengers been in and out of Earth Space Dock over the years perhaps we met Geordie off screen at Club 47 :smiley:
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, as above the Challenger gets added to the task force and the last FE got added to the Klingon War arc after Temporal Ambassador.
  • blitzsthblitzsth Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    I was curious about this and the theory I came up with was.

A future LaForge episode might be add that will happen chronologically before the Nexus mission!

Or more likely

There was a episode that was going to happen before this and it was scraped, but Cryptic forgot to alter the script!
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    a timetravel episode could be coming or his implants are kaputt
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Too tenuous, I'm going with an upcoming time travel episode.

Possibly or a Geordi episode that will eventually slot in before Beyond the Nexus in the main story arc.

The running hypothesis on the Foundry Roundtable was that there was a previous encounter with Geordi but the player doesn't remember it. What exactly? Crazy, drunken night on the town. (There has to be something going on in the life of the player character between episodes. :tongue:)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    Too tenuous, I'm going with an upcoming time travel episode.

Possibly or a Geordi episode that will eventually slot in before Beyond the Nexus in the main story arc.

The running hypothesis on the Foundry Roundtable was that there was a previous encounter with Geordi but the player doesn't remember it. What exactly? Crazy, drunken night on the town. (There has to be something going on in the life of the player character between episodes. :tongue:)

My toons don't have a life between episodes, they are too bust grinding :expressionless:
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Yes, he replaces Thelin at the end Diplomatic Efforts and Quinn as mission giver a few times.

I make a thread and it gets ignored, someone else makes the same thread a few days later and it gets replies within hours... not surprised, really. My luck in a nutshell.
    irm1963 wrote: »
    Yeah, as above the Challenger gets added to the task force and the last FE got added to the Klingon War arc after Temporal Ambassador.
    It's the mission before Temporal Ambassador.
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Close enough. Time travel :P
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    I honestly don't think it's because of the Challengers appearance in Diplomatic Orders. There is no mention or interaction with LaForge at all in that mission so it seems unlikely that they consider that to have been when your captain had the opportunity to meet Laforge.

I am more inclined to believe it's a prelude to an upcoming mission where the captain will either travel into the nexus or into the past and meet LaForge for the 'first time' before the events of 'Beyond the Nexus.'

It's also somewhat possible that it was just a writing mistake, but either way.. prior to Beyond the Nexus, the Captain never actually meets Geordi. It's never even fully established that he commanded the Challenger during Diplomatic Orders, the ship is just shown as part of a generic fleet.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Could be a temporal thing...

(The less exciting explanation);
    Maybe its just a message from "TV's TNG Geordi."
    Like as if he's saying hello to the fans again... a "Good to see you again" (To the fans).

In any event, it sure was good to see Laforge again.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • vieth1vieth1 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    Correct, he's first seen in the P'Jem mission where he also states he hopes to see you again...
    I honestly don't think it's because of the Challengers appearance in Diplomatic Orders. There is no mention or interaction with LaForge at all in that mission so it seems unlikely that they consider that to have been when your captain had the opportunity to meet Laforge.

I am more inclined to believe it's a prelude to an upcoming mission where the captain will either travel into the nexus or into the past and meet LaForge for the 'first time' before the events of 'Beyond the Nexus.'

It's also somewhat possible that it was just a writing mistake, but either way.. prior to Beyond the Nexus, the Captain never actually meets Geordi. It's never even fully established that he commanded the Challenger during Diplomatic Orders, the ship is just shown as part of a generic fleet.
    Seems to have been the plan to have that as the first meeting, considering he hails you from the Challenger at the end of the mission. With new audio to match.

Several of the "mission giver" hails that have changed to use his model and name also have new audio in his voice. At least one of which has also had the text changed to reflect that, with the 'Paulson Nebula' mission ('Hide and Seek', I think it was) now saying "I have been there" instead of "When the USS Enterprise-D went there".

Evidently he met you because he was retconned into the story before the Nexus mission.
  • forerunnerknight#7803 forerunnerknight Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Apparently they retconned him into the episode Diplomatic Orders when Beyond the Nexus came out.(and as a mission giver a few times too almost forgot.)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    We never see your Captain go to the Head either, but for most species it still occurs. Too much gets read into these things, like the plethora of Threads speculating about Data being at the end of 'Survivor'.

The assumption is bread crumbs when it really is bird droppings. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    Yes, he replaces Thelin at the end Diplomatic Efforts and Quinn as mission giver a few times.

I make a thread and it gets ignored, someone else makes the same thread a few days later and it gets replies within hours... not surprised, really. My luck in a nutshell.
    irm1963 wrote: »
    It's the mission before Temporal Ambassador.

It's after Temporal Ambassador for Romulans. It makes no sense in either place, though, both due to the timing of the Nexus' return and due to story elements from the New Frontiers arc being mentioned.
    ltminns wrote: »
    We never see your Captain go to the Head either, but for most species it still occurs. Too much gets read into these things, like the plethora of Threads speculating about Data being at the end of 'Survivor'.

The assumption is bread crumbs when it really is bird droppings. ;)

They all but put an arrow pointing to him saying "This is Data, guys!" Does it mean that we'll get an actual appearance of Data where we see his face and he speaks? No, but it could scarcely be anyone else. Nobody else who knew Tasha roughly 47 years ago would still have color in his hair, much less be carrying an exact copy of Data's hologram of her.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • captkelly31#5645 captkelly31 Member Posts: 392 Arc User
    Haven't played that one yet, but might be a good idea to add new stuff to old content, like adding random ships to the holographic fleet ability; have the old ESD as an alien space station; or have a Delta Quadrant inhabitant imply having seen a Preserver obelisk.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,432 Community Moderator
    edited October 2017
    Having Beyond the Nexus after Temporal Ambassador makes no sense as we don't know anything about the Tzenkethi or Lukari at that point in the story.
    anodynes wrote: »
    They all but put an arrow pointing to him saying "This is Data, guys!" Does it mean that we'll get an actual appearance of Data where we see his face and he speaks? No, but it could scarcely be anyone else. Nobody else who knew Tasha roughly 47 years ago would still have color in his hair, much less be carrying an exact copy of Data's hologram of her.

Lets take a look at the evidence we have that it is Data.
    • Implied to be someone who personally knew Tasha Yar
    • Has the memorial hologram
    • EXTREMELY pale (basically android white) skin
    • dark hair without any grey
    • Operations Gold departmental colors
    • Data like hairstyle as seen from the back

260px-Data.png?version=70302e473b0c41067e136f28ca1e3f5d

Certainly enough evidence to say or imply that it is Data. The only other in game TNG characters who could say anything are Worf and Geordi, and that is obviously not them.

Furthermore... STO Wiki actually says that it IS Data. And there is a timeline that Data is involved in.
    sto wiki wrote:
    2408: The Enterprise is lost to the Undine at Starbase 236, though Data and his crew escape.
    2409: When Va'Kel Shon is offered command of the U.S.S. Enterprise-F, he visits Data in Oxford, stating that feels Data should assume the command. Data advises Shon to accept the command, saying Shon is an ideal candidate for the position. Data works with the Daystrom Institute in some capacity, and is working on an android he refers to as "brother," in his home.[1]
    2410: Data has returned to Starfleet, though it is currently unknown what his present rank and assignment are - if any.
    sto wiki wrote:
    While we don't see Data's face in his appearance in the ending cutscene of "Survivor", his possession of the Tasha Yar hologram and Sela's request that he tell her about Tasha strongly imply that this is in fact Data. His uniform may also suggest he is still in active service with Starfleet.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    This would also explain why LaForge says, good to see you again in the Nexus episode!, Mystery solved I guess.

Also thumbs down, Retconing is never good!
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    Well, at least that explains the fact we apparently met him before.
    You'd expect the devs to at least tell us about that as opposed to keeping us in the dark.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    Well, at least that explains the fact we apparently met him before.
    You'd expect the devs to at least tell us about that as opposed to keeping us in the dark.

Perhaps it was accidentally left off the patchnotes, but they will probably claim it is an easter egg :P
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Well when they added Tovok & Cooper they added both into the Borg arc as well so its not like this is unprecedented.
    Except in that case, it didn't work since they still introduce themselves during Step Between Stars despite having met and followed you during their missions before (and that includes the Undine version of Cooper), so it'd have been better if they didn't add them in the Borg arc (or if they had their lines changed).
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    You mean a lack of continuity QA? Ha!
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    I just started the 'save Miral Paris' arc on my newest character, it's still the Kirk you save at the start.
    I rest my case.

As far as putting it after 'Temporal Ambassador', I said this in another Thread:

'What has happened numerous times in the past, when a Featured Episode loses that status, they inevitably take it off for a week before they actually do the work of making it level 60 only and placing it in its correct Arc. Only difference this time seems to be that the Nexus propelled the Episode into an inappropriate Arc.'

We shall wait for it to be corrected. Otherwise what, we would have two Episodes in a row that has an Ambassador Class ship in it.

Hah, maybe they are setting us up for a T6 Ambassador with Miracle Worker seating for their introduction into the C-Store for a Black Friday rollout.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • captkelly31#5645 captkelly31 Member Posts: 392 Arc User
    I just started the 'save Miral Paris' arc on my newest character, it's still the Kirk you save at the start.

OP said Challenger was at the part where you blow up the Undine ship.

OP said Challenger was at the part where you blow up the Undine ship.
    I did indeed. However, the post you quoted wasn't about 'Diplomatic Orders'; it was about the mini-arc where you save Miral Paris.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    I rest my case.

You mean you have no case. That's clearly meant to be Data, and really couldn't be anyone else.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.