test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thoughts on Dranuur

Comments

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    We already have an actual good Dilitium sink. It's called the Phoenix Prize Pack Event. We don't need any more at this stage.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    fftt wrote: »
    ...INSTEAD of fleet holdings they should add ARMADA HOLDINGS. This should be more acceptable. After finishing one fed and one kdf fleet and barley playing any more i dont have the time, and motivation to grind like that again...

And making this an armada holding helps how? If you can't bring yourself to summon up the time and motivation to grind like that again what makes you think others in the armada can? Would the colony be easier by spreading the load across even a larger playerbase? Sure'nuff, but knowing Cryptic they'd probably increase the resources needed by an order of magnitude since it would be an armada project instead of a fleet project - not easing the grind a bit.

Just better for Cryptic to ease up on the resources needed (particularly the new provisions).

I am part of a what was a medium fleet now small due to players quiting. I am in a good high lvl armada and most if not all the fleets there are just like mine; max tier fleets with 2-4 players active at same time. AT best 4-6 playerts active during weekends. Most have jobs and dont have time. None of us want another grind and having those few active members do all the grind its a joke. AND yes maybe cryptic would have increased the resorces but it would be still better as more people could grind. ONLY solution now is for admirals and players that invested milions of dil and other resorces to leave their fleets and come togheter in just one active fleet or grind like crazy again. THIS will make those people even more bored of the game until they stop giving a **** and quit.

But don't take my word for it.

Also imo fleet projects shoud have different ammount of resorces depending of number of players in the fleet. To prevent exploits the number of provisions awarded ( the ones that you need to buy stuff) should be determened by same factor. This will make small flets viable and there are enough metrics for detailed calculations to be made.

I also believe that the suggested grind for the colony holding is not sustainable by small fleets and will turn off players. What I would need convincing on is how making this an armada holding is necessarily a solution considering other issues other that would be involved in an armada holding: who slots the projects, what happens if the alpha fleet goes inactive, what happens if the alpha fleet leaves, should resources be increased, and others.

I'm not a big fan of different amounts of resources for the number of members in your fleet either (too exploitable), but do think that there should be projects tailored to smaller fleets that require less resources to fill but take longer to complete. As is, the projects are assuming one size fits all, which everyone but Cryptic seems to know is not true.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    ltminns wrote: »
    We already have an actual good Dilitium sink. It's called the Phoenix Prize Pack Event. We don't need any more at this stage.
    The only problem is because of all the sales constantly happening during and after the last phoenix event, its impact was nullified quite quickly.
    Post edited by avoozuul on
  • Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    patrickngo wrote: »
    I think the problem can be better articulated this way: Cryptic is designing as if the playerbase was as active currently, as it was five years ago.

Five years ago:

1. Qo'noS was running an AVERAGE of 12 to 40 instances open at one time, at midnight during a school week.
    2. PvP queues: 15 minutes was a long time to wait for these.
    3. Ker'rat was busy at all level brackets 24/7
    4. fifteen minutes was also a long, long wait for an STF (queued content) to pop, and that was on the unpopular ones.
    5. Fleets were having to kick members to make room for more active players. This was a COMMON occurrance, because there was a greater demand than supply-and this was BEFORE we got holdings, or fleet gear stores, or fleet ships.

Presently: even very busy fleets are virtually empty compared to where fleets of middling size were five years ago. Further, there are fewer new players, and they don't stay for as long, as there were five years ago, and this is in part due to the combined emphasis on solo gameplay, and the lack of anything to really do except grind for points. Maps may be "Multiplayer' but for the most part, they're solo-able or can be successfully played through without so much as saying 'hi' to the other four strangers you've been 'teamed' with (effectively a solo map, even though there ARE other players on it.)

without a reason to be active, players, even in Fleet/guilds with high success rates, feel neither rewarded for being active, nor compelled to bother being active. the over-all result is a game that has weekend spikes of activity that almost match what it had previously at midnight on a week-day, but only during announced events with extraordinarily large incentives.

I disagree.The amount of grind, sure, that could certainly bore some. On a personal level, I'm only doing the Terran reputation because I want the warpcore, because I hear that's The One to have. None of the others really interest me.

I'm tempted to try some PvP, but on a personal level, I play the game to play the game, not to play against others. I don't like playing with others, I prefer to play with myself. I suspect the desire some have for PvP is to show off their epeen, not for the challenge and camaraderie of playing against another human being (such as the one-shot gankers in Ker'rat)

I'm sure I read somewhere that the average stay for a player is 3 months. I suspect that's down to content and personal psychology, not any lack of cooperative play. Just my .2slips :sunglasses:

*Extratextbecausereasons
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,790 Arc User
    Yeah I also disagree with the notion that there are less new players in the game. Just look at how many accounts with those random numbers there are. There are a lot of them and it means that all those accounts were created in the last... two years I think?

That's still what I would call 'new'.

And before this post gets very confusing because I have those numbers in my handle too: I've been here for a while ;)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    Besides, it seems they're also expecting and anticipating new potential players when Discovery launches.

I also just read in-game that they have already adapted the requirements on Tribble. Only by 10% apparently, but it shows they're still working on it.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    nabreeki wrote: »
    > @fleetcaptain5#1134 said:
    > Yeah I also disagree with the notion that there are less new players in the game. Just look at how many accounts with those random numbers there are. There are a lot of them and it means that all those accounts were created in the last... two years I think?
    >
    > That's still what I would call 'new'.
    >
    > And before this post gets very confusing because I have those numbers in my handle too: I've been here for a while ;)

The numbers thing in the name is a couple years old now. That's not especially new. Two years is a significant amount of time in an MMO's lifespan. Those could also be alt accounts, or perhaps the fact that you see so many numbered names means there are less older accounts actively playing. Objectively there are less consistently active players now than 5 years ago. I'm not going to speculate on the health of the game, doom and gloom, etc, but there are definitely less people online at one time during peak U.S. times than there were.

There's even a drop in deranged deviants loitering on Risa, which I'll take as a positive.

Yeah the reduced activity is obvious I think. We've seen it everywhere and I'm not saying that there are not less people in the game nowadays - just saying that there are still new ones coming in. So STO apparently still is attractive in some ways.

Hopefully they can keep using that - whatever 'that' may be.

• Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    nabreeki wrote: »
    > @fleetcaptain5#1134 said:
    > Yeah I also disagree with the notion that there are less new players in the game. Just look at how many accounts with those random numbers there are. There are a lot of them and it means that all those accounts were created in the last... two years I think?
    >
    > That's still what I would call 'new'.
    >
    > And before this post gets very confusing because I have those numbers in my handle too: I've been here for a while ;)

The numbers thing in the name is a couple years old now. That's not especially new. Two years is a significant amount of time in an MMO's lifespan. Those could also be alt accounts, or perhaps the fact that you see so many numbered names means there are less older accounts actively playing. Objectively there are less consistently active players now than 5 years ago. I'm not going to speculate on the health of the game, doom and gloom, etc, but there are definitely less people online at one time during peak U.S. times than there were.

There's even a drop in deranged deviants loitering on Risa, which I'll take as a positive.

Hey! I only loiter on Risa during the summer event.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Although the phoenix boxes halted the runaway inflation of the dilex and reduced the Zen rate significantly, the effect is diminishing with each rerun. The third run was only a minor blip on the dilex graph, with -45 points spike on day 1 and around -25 for the rest of the week. I predict by next year further reruns will at most keep the rate from going back up to 400+ again.

Fleet holdings had the dilex under 100 for a long time.
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    Although the phoenix boxes halted the runaway inflation of the dilex and reduced the Zen rate significantly, the effect is diminishing with each rerun. The third run was only a minor blip on the dilex graph, with -45 points spike on day 1 and around -25 for the rest of the week. I predict by next year further reruns will at most keep the rate from going back up to 400+ again.

I think the reason why the Phoenix boxes has had less effect on each return, is because when they were first released, they were a genuine way for people to get get they'd previously missed, but then folks had likely picked up the things they needed, so future boxes, had less to offer, in terms of getting the stuff they missed. Now for someone with a new alt, sure, great potential to get gear for said alt; For someone settled with their character, then the Phoenix box just doesn't really offer any incentive to them, other than converting goods down to upgrades, or, the gamblers who open them in the hopes of scoring one of the ships :sunglasses:

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    not to mention the drop rate on tokens above rare rarity is abhorrent​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

I think the reason why the Phoenix boxes has had less effect on each return, is because when they were first released, they were a genuine way for people to get get they'd previously missed, but then folks had likely picked up the things they needed, so future boxes, had less to offer, in terms of getting the stuff they missed. Now for someone with a new alt, sure, great potential to get gear for said alt; For someone settled with their character, then the Phoenix box just doesn't really offer any incentive to them, other than converting goods down to upgrades, or, the gamblers who open them in the hopes of scoring one of the ships :sunglasses:
    Right. It's also nothing in it is tradeable either, so once you have what you need there's no point opening any more.
  • Options
    ...INSTEAD of fleet holdings they should add ARMADA HOLDINGS. This should be more acceptable. After finishing one fed and one kdf fleet and barley playing any more i dont have the time, and motivation to grind like that again...

And making this an armada holding helps how? If you can't bring yourself to summon up the time and motivation to grind like that again what makes you think others in the armada can? Would the colony be easier by spreading the load across even a larger playerbase? Sure'nuff, but knowing Cryptic they'd probably increase the resources needed by an order of magnitude since it would be an armada project instead of a fleet project - not easing the grind a bit.

Just better for Cryptic to ease up on the resources needed (particularly the new provisions).

I am part of a what was a medium fleet now small due to players quiting. I am in a good high lvl armada and most if not all the fleets there are just like mine; max tier fleets with 2-4 players active at same time. AT best 4-6 playerts active during weekends. Most have jobs and dont have time. None of us want another grind and having those few active members do all the grind its a joke. AND yes maybe cryptic would have increased the resorces but it would be still better as more people could grind. ONLY solution now is for admirals and players that invested milions of dil and other resorces to leave their fleets and come togheter in just one active fleet or grind like crazy again. THIS will make those people even more bored of the game until they stop giving a **** and quit.

Also imo fleet projects shoud have different ammount of resorces depending of number of players in the fleet. To prevent exploits the number of provisions awarded ( the ones that you need to buy stuff) should be determened by same factor. This will make small flets viable and there are enough metrics for detailed calculations to be made.

I also believe that the suggested grind for the colony holding is not sustainable by small fleets and will turn off players. What I would need convincing on is how making this an armada holding is necessarily a solution considering other issues other that would be involved in an armada holding: who slots the projects, what happens if the alpha fleet goes inactive, what happens if the alpha fleet leaves, should resources be increased, and others.

I'm not a big fan of different amounts of resources for the number of members in your fleet either (too exploitable), but do think that there should be projects tailored to smaller fleets that require less resources to fill but take longer to complete. As is, the projects are assuming one size fits all, which everyone but Cryptic seems to know is not true.

Turn off playes how exactly ? Well why armada projects ? cuz the 4-6 active players from small fleets can contribute and take turns. So 4-6 playes of 13 fleats instead of loading the same 4 players of each fleet to a huge endeavor, and for what ? for using maybe 10 provisions on new gear ? This way the imense investment they did in their fleet is not wasted by then leaving the fleet. About the other thing , who can put the projects, the projects are put by leaders of each fleet and give back provisions to that fleet. This way all fleet need to contribute. About the unlikely situation when alfa fleet leaves ... we can give each fleet a score for contributing and in case the armada shatters they keep that score and when reformed it will take recreate the holding progresion based on the total score. Pretty easy.

Now considering the problem of small fleets investment another possible solution can be adding a "merge fleet" system. Fleet leaders that want to make their fleets populated again and not lose what they invested can decide on a merge. Rules can be set up pretty easy for this to be fair and with each fleet having a score depending on its holdings progresion.

To be honnest i don't really think anything like this would actually happen for too many reasons most of them having to do with criptyc.

Anyway this new holding resorces needs whould be decresed. If not they will create unstatisfaaction and combined with other issues will make even more players drop this game.

Turn off playes how exactly ? Well why armada projects ? cuz the 4-6 active players from small fleets can contribute and take turns. So 4-6 playes of 13 fleats instead of loading the same 4 players of each fleet to a huge endeavor, and for what ? for using maybe 10 provisions on new gear ? This way the imense investment they did in their fleet is not wasted by then leaving the fleet. About the other thing , who can put the projects, the projects are put by leaders of each fleet and give back provisions to that fleet. This way all fleet need to contribute. About the unlikely situation when alfa fleet leaves ... we can give each fleet a score for contributing and in case the armada shatters they keep that score and when reformed it will take recreate the holding progresion based on the total score. Pretty easy.

Now considering the problem of small fleets investment another possible solution can be adding a "merge fleet" system. Fleet leaders that want to make their fleets populated again and not lose what they invested can decide on a merge. Rules can be set up pretty easy for this to be fair and with each fleet having a score depending on its holdings progresion.

To be honnest i don't really think anything like this would actually happen for too many reasons most of them having to do with criptyc.

Anyway this new holding resorces needs whould be decresed. If not they will create unstatisfaaction and combined with other issues will make even more players drop this game.

Well to be fair, maybe smaller fleets and players in general should be more reasonable in their expectations as well. As I've noted before: fleets were never meant to be a private bank for instance. Or to be run by just two or three people with each ten different characters (but who are, combined, still only three real people of course).

Players are often warned against creating a new fleet in ESD chat for instance, and for good reasons. Because, generally, you cannot expect to complete your holdings with just a small group if you still have to start now, a point where there are many good alternatives that take the form of completed fleets.

It's basically the same here. Sure, you can still create one and hope to build your own mini-fleet. Players just shouldn't expect it to become easy just because they want it to be easy, while maintaining a fleet with five or ten players when the maximum roster size is 500 (!).

Fleet holdings are supposed to be a longer term project for a large group of people to work on, it's always been like that. Maybe this will be the only holding that will be added in the next two, maybe even three years or so, who knows?

Though I agree that it would be nice if they could facilitate easier cooperation between fleets. The Armada system was supposed to make things easier for smaller fleets so I'd say it's about time they began working towards that goal then. Armada systems have been neglected almost from since the beginning, this seems to be the right time to correct some of that past lacking attention.

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I can forsee some problems betwixt and between the various Fleets in an Armada when it comes to provisioning, purchasing, and permissions. Not saying all will have that problem but you can bet there will be if this Holding is Armada based.

Look to see if Fleets in your Armada restrict donations of Marks and things other than Dilitium or Doffs to their own Fleet. Could provide a hint of things to come.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    I can forsee some problems betwixt and between the various Fleets in an Armada when it comes to provisioning, purchasing, and permissions. Not saying all will have that problem but you can bet there will be if this Holding is Armada based.

Look to see if Fleets in your Armada restrict donations of Marks and things other than Dilitium or Doffs to their own Fleet. Could provide a hint of things to come.

True. But in that case one might start wondering whether his or her fleet is in the right Armada anyway.

To be fair though, I think they could make the provision gathering events an armada-wide thing. That should help a bit in some cases.

• Options

Right. It's also nothing in it is tradeable either, so once you have what you need there's no point opening any more.
    That too, as it's not as if it can even be sent to another to another character via in-game mail or even direct trade, so little point in opening themonce fully stocked :sunglasses:

• Options
    daciaeternadaciaeterna Member Posts: 219 Arc User

Turn off playes how exactly ? Well why armada projects ? cuz the 4-6 active players from small fleets can contribute and take turns. So 4-6 playes of 13 fleats instead of loading the same 4 players of each fleet to a huge endeavor, and for what ? for using maybe 10 provisions on new gear ? This way the imense investment they did in their fleet is not wasted by them leaving the fleet. Who can put the projects? the projects are put by leaders of each fleet and give back provisions to that fleet. This way all fleet need to contribute. About the unlikely situation when alfa fleet leaves ... we can give each fleet a score for contributing and in case the armada shatters they keep that score and when reformed it will take recreate the holding progresion based on the total score.

To be honnest i don't really think anything like this would actually happen for too many reasons most of them having to do with Criptyc.

Anyway this new holdings resorces needs should be lowered. If not they will create unstatisfaaction and combined with other issues will make even more players drop this game.
  • Options
    daciaeternadaciaeterna Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    Man this forum is eating posts ...

"fleetcaptain5": Most small fleet i know and talk about ware not small in the begining. 150+ man fleets can't be call small. They ended up this way due to Criptic decisions and its not the fleet leaders fault.
    Fleet holdings should be a long time investment but the devs should be the ones 'reasonable" and consider metrics data. Giving T5 holdings with aditional grind to a dieing game ? really ? How many fleets can finish this ?
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    I started playing this game right before Legacy Of Romulus was released. A bunch of friends and I started a fleet together and it took off like wildfire for about one year. Since then, my amigos have all quit playing because of the time commitments. I am basically in a one-man fleet with 30 members who are inactive. I got K-13 to T1 by myself, since there was no timegate on anything. Just worked on what I could when I could...

This fleet holding scares me...

I don't want to give up on the fleet I have because I've worked VERY hard on it... However, it's no longer advancing. It did for a little bit when Armadas were released... Not much since then...

:(
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Small fleets have never been meant to fully upgrade bases.

Small fleets are meant to generate shop provisions and fleet credits for their members, so they can get FREE starbase invites through STO's largest channel, NoP Public Service, to obtain gear.

Well it's not fast but it *is* doable. My solo fleet is actually a higher level (maxed level 65-3 years *EDIT* 4 years) than the one I'm in with multiple players (level 47-won't finish). It all depends on how committed you are to the fleet. However the preliminary numbers I'm looking at for the colony are scary. My current plan is to run through the minigames up until the auto-collection can start and never really touch 'em again.
    Post edited by fftt on
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    crm14916 wrote: »
    am basically in a one-man fleet with 30 members who are inactive. I got K-13 to T1 by myself, since there was no timegate on anything. Just worked on what I could when I could...

I don't want to give up on the fleet I have because I've worked VERY hard on it... However, it's no longer advancing. It did for a little bit when Armadas were released... Not much since then...

CM

Well the core problem there is the 30 inactive members. Regardless of how the colony is tweaked, it's still worth thinking about trying to revitalize that group through active recruitment. A multi-person grind taken on alone isn't the most enjoyable or rewarding way to approach the game.

If revitalization efforts fail, then for your own sake it's worth thinking about finding a new group. A new fleet won't have your T1 K-13 but you'll find that a lot of groups have gotten considerably further than that. It's some compensation plus you'll still have your fleet credits and everything else you've acquired from the fleet.

New challenges to face, new people to deal with, but sometimes that what you need.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    patrickngo wrote: »
    crm14916 wrote: »
    am basically in a one-man fleet with 30 members who are inactive. I got K-13 to T1 by myself, since there was no timegate on anything. Just worked on what I could when I could...

CM

Well the core problem there is the 30 inactive members. Regardless of how the colony is tweaked, it's still worth thinking about trying to revitalize that group through active recruitment. A multi-person grind taken on alone isn't the most enjoyable or rewarding way to approach the game.

If revitalization efforts fail, then for your own sake it's worth thinking about finding a new group. A new fleet won't have your T1 K-13 but you'll find that a lot of groups have gotten considerably further than that. It's some compensation plus you'll still have your fleet credits and everything else you've acquired from the fleet.

New challenges to face, new people to deal with, but sometimes that what you need.

helps if there are, in fact, people to deal with. Recruitment used to be something you did on the side, but now it's a full-time job that burns people out, with significantly diminished returns from what it was even four years ago.

or hell, even last year.

if you take a sample of, say, 100 new characters on the starting zones, and poll them, 80 to 90 of them are alts whose players already have a fleet in mind, if they weren't fleeted nearly immediately upon creation.

out of the 10-20 that remain, 5-15 of them (depending on sample size) aren't interested in joining any fleet, 2 will be unfamiliar with the concept, and 8 to 19 of them won't respond either way because they have chat turned off.

on average, if you spend eight hours on, say, Vulcan, or ESD, or Qo'noS or the Romulan zones post-level 10, you'll maybe get one to three players out of a hundred tries...during prime-time.

out of the maximum of 3, two will go inactive shortly after they finish leveling, one will quit the game entirely.

and that's with an ACTIVE fleet whose management is phat with time and constantly pumping to get people excited and involved. (Watched this happen with "Temporal Armada" last year-it took players literally doing NOTHING BUT recruitment just to keep numbers stable)

it's absolutely the psychology of the playerbase Cryptic has chosen to build off of over the last seven years.

I have definitely considered that my time would be more productive just grinding resources myself than trying to recruit. I also consider that in a smaller fleet without all the bells and whistles of a bigger one the recruit is likely to leave or stop playing soon after admittance anyways.