test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bad scaling makes too many builds dead ends.

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    felisean wrote: »
    and like tune said, NEVER EVER!!!! run distribute shields and fire all weapons in the same keybind. this will highly mess up everything pretty hard.

Actually, I don't think I've *ever* used Distribute Shields. Like ever. I figured TT does a way better job of it. I know, putting Distribute Shields on your spacebar is from the old Hilbert guide, which should be utterly destroyed and never be used, ever again. Like ever.

I don't really use it either.

I have it set up so space fires all weapons and executes powers in tray 7. I keep stuff there I want to fire off immediately, all the time. Things emergency power to X, Tac Team, and launch hangar pets. I put Distribute Shields on my left Ctrl key, but since I know it will interrupt my weapon firing, I just over time stopped using it entirely.

I use Tactical Team to distribute my shields.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    felisean wrote: »
    and like tune said, NEVER EVER!!!! run distribute shields and fire all weapons in the same keybind. this will highly mess up everything pretty hard.

Actually, I don't think I've *ever* used Distribute Shields. Like ever. I figured TT does a way better job of it. I know, putting Distribute Shields on your spacebar is from the old Hilbert guide, which should be utterly destroyed and never be used, ever again. Like ever.

I don't really use it either.

I have it set up so space fires all weapons and executes powers in tray 7. I keep stuff there I want to fire off immediately, all the time. Things emergency power to X, Tac Team, and launch hangar pets. I put Distribute Shields on my left Ctrl key, but since I know it will interrupt my weapon firing, I just over time stopped using it entirely.

I use Tactical Team to distribute my shields.

Indeed, TT does it way better: it puts shields to where they're needed, instead of just equally distributing to all facings, like Distribute Shields does.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Main problem with Tac Team is that it has CD. Distribute Shields you can spam almost constantly (yes, you shouldn't when you're firing weapons, for example, but point remains that that one is pretty much always available).
    So once I had properly bound my DS to an easily accessible button (in my case C), I could really feel I'm more survivable.
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I agree that interrupting firing cycles is an issue, but for my purposes I'm not doing any damage with one fore and one aft plasma beam array. Their only function is to generate Subsystem Targeting procs, which they do quite well using my setup. For a ship intending to do significant damage with energy weapons, one shouldn't use my setup, which relies on torps and space magic to deal damage.
  • Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    e30ernest wrote: »
    Supposing someone only wants a particular build, say, phasers and photon torpedos, no cannons, no turrets, no tetryon etc. Telling them they they are Going To Have To change their build to progress, to some, that's going to set up resistance.

The thing is, any build can be made to work for normal content, and almost anything can be made to work for advanced content. The performance floor of the game is low enough that one can make sub-optimal gear work out adequately right up to advanced content.

That said, sub-optimal builds would shift the performance workload heavily to the pilot more than an optimized build. So yes, you can opt to run what you want, but you'll have to up your own flying skills because you'll be flying it closer to the edge of its performance more than you would on an optimized build. It's also what makes (contrary to what some believe) flying at high DPS numbers more difficult than troddling along at middling or low DPS, since you'll be flying at a ship's and pilot's performance edge rather than simply coasting through the content.
    Oh for sure, I get that :sunglasses: Like I said, Kek's Connie hit its edge because I couldn't keep upgrading the consoles (complex/simple overflow bag issue on my main which will be sorted eventually, which is preventing me simply purchasing what I want and mailing it across) I suspect that when I do up the quality of the items, it will be a more viable build again (albeit rock-hard shields over a wet-tissue hull :D ) for dealing with the content post-Romulan warbirds :tongue: Although the lack of across the board Lt boff seating on it, really cuts into the optional abilities, and it's then a question of; do I really want to tie one hand behind my back and blindfold myself, just for the sake of the Connie aesthetic...

Like I said, I understand the need to adapt and even completely overhaul a build to meet the content requirements. But what I was meaning, was that if there's someone else who only wants to play their build as they initially envisage it, then they're going to be very resistant to the idea of swapping components and/or even the complete flavor of the build. It may indeed be a legitimately functional improvement, but if it's not What They wanted their ship to be like, I can understand why they would be feeling that the advice they're getting is only changing their build, rather than improving it :sunglasses:
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    On one of my ships I use Distribute Shields too since I do not have Tactical Team slotted on that build (I like quirky builds :smile: ). The plus side for torp boats at least, is that Distribute Shields doesn't really have a firing cycle to interrupt.

That said, I can definitely see how one would want to have a proper set of keybinds setup for an energy build. Basically anything that requires uptime (like EPtX, TT, FAW/CSV and APX) would be much easier to fly with proper keybinds.
  • Options
    PS AS i fear the edit:

I guess it's like if someone asks "Can I have some advice on how to make a beef burger more awesome?" and the first thing they're told, is "Well first, you want to take out the beef pattie, and replace it with a Quorn one..." And they're going to be all :open_mouth::confused: It might be a better burger, but if it's not how they planned their burger, or what they wanted in it, they're likely to feel they're just being railroaded to something other than what they asked for :sunglasses:

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    Main problem with Tac Team is that it has CD. Distribute Shields you can spam almost constantly (yes, you shouldn't when you're firing weapons, for example, but point remains that that one is pretty much always available).
    So once I had properly bound my DS to an easily accessible button (in my case C), I could really feel I'm more survivable.

I have Distribute on a bind, I just hardly ever use it.

My problem is, I don't really know when I should use Distribute Shields.. I know it disrupts firing cycles, but I'm always firing. Every once in a while when I see my shields going down, I'll tap the button, but most times I'm more likely to either use a shield heal ability, Reverse Shield Polarity, or hit Evasive and get outta there then I am to distribute my shields.

Just curious, how do you decide when to use it and when not to?
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    Yeah I understand that. Kinda like how way back I was asking for advice on setting up a torp boat and the first bit of advice I got was to slot beams. :smile:

Right now it's easier to build anything though. It just requires a bit of creative thinking. There will definitely be some changes, but you can still preserve the original's build concept and goals.
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Yeah...I am romulan and haz valdore console. I never have to worry about shields.

Same.. I really love that console. It's the only console I use 100% of the time on every Romulan Ship no matter what.
  • Options
    @seaofsorrows
    When all of your weapons are firing, or reloading, but not ready to fire. That's the *most optimal* time to press it.
    However, truth be told, if I see my forward shield facing going down (as majority of my ships want to keep nose pointed at the enemy all the time) and I suspect or already see enemy torpedoes flying at me, I think "TRIBBLE firing cycles" and hit DS anyway. It's certainly better option than dying.
    Of course, a shield heal will be better alternative, but you can't always rely on those.
  • Options
    @seaofsorrows
    When all of your weapons are firing, or reloading, but not ready to fire. That's the *most optimal* time to press it.
    However, truth be told, if I see my forward shield facing going down (as majority of my ships want to keep nose pointed at the enemy all the time) and I suspect or already see enemy torpedoes flying at me, I think "**** firing cycles" and hit DS anyway. It's certainly better option than dying.
    Of course, a shield heal will be better alternative, but you can't always rely on those.

Good advice, thanks.

I just have to get a little better and determining the most 'optimal' time to use it. In truth though, I pretty much do what you do, if it's distribute or die, I'll hit the button regardless. I generally have a 'fire and forget' mentality with my beams, I'll have to start watching them and see if I can determine a good timing. :)
  • Options
    e30ernest wrote: »
    On one of my ships I use Distribute Shields too since I do not have Tactical Team slotted on that build (I like quirky builds :smile: ). The plus side for torp boats at least, is that Distribute Shields doesn't really have a firing cycle to interrupt.

You and tunebreaker offer interesting perspectives regarding DS. :)
    That said, I can definitely see how one would want to have a proper set of keybinds setup for an energy build. Basically anything that requires uptime (like EPtX, TT, FAW/CSV and APX) would be much easier to fly with proper keybinds.

I must confess I spacebar some of those abilities too; like if I want (near) total uptime on both EPtS and EPtW, I need to cycle both continually (without waiting for my weps not firing), as well as a dual pair of APB, for my 'Regoup' Trait build.

N.B. Actually, the fact that weapon cycles are interrupted by activating an ability, that has always felt like a colossal design-flaw to me, and is what 'kills your DPS' for the vast majority of the player base, especially since you don't see the interruption. So, unless someone tells you about it (or you read about it on the forum *g*) how are players supposed to know?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Yeah...I am romulan and haz valdore console. I never have to worry about shields.

Same.. I really love that console. It's the only console I use 100% of the time on every Romulan Ship no matter what.

I haz the Valdore on my Rom too. Never really use it, though: I'm losing an entire console for that. I prefer consoles that do something else too. For example, my go-to 'Oh sh*t!' button tends to be the Crystalline Absorption Matrix or something** (for AP builds only, of course).

** Oh, and Overwhelming Tactics, of course, from the Competitive Space set. -50% incoming dmg for 10 secs, baby, yeah. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

I haz the Valdore on my Rom too. Never really use it, though: I'm losing an entire console for that. I prefer consoles that do something else too. For example, my go-to 'Oh sh*t!' button tends to be the Crystalline Absorption Matrix or something** (for AP builds only, of course).

** Oh, and Overwhelming Tactics, of course, from the Competitive Space set. -50% incoming dmg for 10 secs, baby, yeah. :)

Might want to revisit that idea.. the Valdore Console is one of the most powerful consoles in the game. It might not give you a passive plus to any skills, but it constantly passively heals your shields and takes a lot of pressure off you to try and distribute them. It even keeps shields up against Borg (sometimes) and we all know how hard that can be.

If you're using a Morrigu then it's just a must. It's a great console, and so is the Morrigu's console.. the 2pc bonus is also stellar. Just something to give some thought to, but I'll warn you now.. if you do start using it.. it's unlikely you'll ever leave it off a Romulan build again. ;)
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Indeed, TT does it way better: it puts shields to where they're needed, instead of just equally distributing to all facings, like Distribute Shields does.

Of course they got so annoyed with continuous uptime builds they started putting in hard floors on recharge times specifically to rein in some of these stacks of effects that turn bursty clickies into 100% uptime toggles. In theory TT's better functionality is balanced by its fractional uptime and opportunity cost as a Boff ability. Only these days it's just not.

Its a kludge and a legacy born of the collision between a design philosophy that says "pushing buttons is fun. So pushing more buttons must be more fun." and a business model that says "what new irresistibly potent thing are we going to make and sell this quarter?"
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    PS AS i fear the edit:

I guess it's like if someone asks "Can I have some advice on how to make a beef burger more awesome?" and the first thing they're told, is "Well first, you want to take out the beef pattie, and replace it with a Quorn one..." And they're going to be all :open_mouth::confused: It might be a better burger, but if it's not how they planned their burger, or what they wanted in it, they're likely to feel they're just being railroaded to something other than what they asked for :sunglasses:
    Except the thread isn't so much asking for advice making a beef burger "more awesome," but complaining about the fact that you can't get through life eating nothing but beef burgers.

Fact is you can't always succeed doing what you want. Eating nothing but burgers in real life is going to make you fat and sick and using nothing but funny gimmick builds in STO is going to make you useless in high-end content.
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »
    PS AS i fear the edit:

Except the thread isn't so much asking for advice making a beef burger "more awesome," but complaining about the fact that you can't get through life eating nothing but beef burgers.

Fact is you can't always succeed doing what you want. Eating nothing but burgers in real life is going to make you fat and sick and using nothing but funny gimmick builds in STO is going to make you useless in high-end content.
    I absolutely agree, one can't always get what one wants. But didn't someone also once say "Your fun isn't wrong"? ;)

The point I was making, is that I can understand why someone asking for help improving their current build, might be surprized and resistant to suggestions which begin altering the core of their builds away from their initial concept... That's all ;)

I'm not saying that they're correct in that mindset, but I can certainly understand it :sunglasses:

The burger was just an analogy, and as an FYI, which I may branch into another thread, Quorn burgers are The Business :sunglasses: After cooking, shred them up, and the consistency and flavor is just like pulled-pork :sunglasses:

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Hello forum bug. This time I saw you coming ;).
    I absolutely agree, one can't always get what one wants. But didn't someone also once say "Your fun isn't wrong"? ;)

Yes. By someone whose job description is literally 'tuck the children in bed after they get cranky'. Possibly with a trophy tucked under their arm just for having shown up.

Unsurprisingly, the Game Designers at Cryptic don't treat it as some kind of manifesto.

This 'play how you want' mentality basically says "gee, my Captain should be able to walk up to the viewscreen and wave at the other ships and they all explode -- because that's my fun and it's not wrong." And while the Star Trek 2009 version of the Kobiyash Maru test had Kirk all but do that, the game is not going there, and it's likely not taking one single step in that direction either.

I sympathize with people who would like to see good and effective ship design better reflect the source material. I campaigned relentlessly during the Skill Revamp for small changes that would make beam/torpedo and cannon/torpedo builds more desirable in keeping with what is seen in the shows. But that does not mean I'm on board for "slap together whatever the heck is laying in your bank and pretend that's supposed to be competitive." Improving the performance of your build is a skill. Acquire that skill (its not hard) or accept you're willfully relegating yourself to scrub-level performance. But the game doesn't need to stoop even lower to tuck you in bed and give people that shiny "you suck but don't think about it" trophy.

Yes, the Devs should go through and change the initial load outs of all the ships given in-game to gear that isn't full-blown moronic and thus teaching players bad habits. They also need to do some in-game tutorial missions that teach the fundamentals of configuring your ship. Gear. Power levels. Assigning Doffs. All of these things are needlessly opaque and leaving it to chance that casual players stumble over them at all is a HUGE factor in the grotesque disparity in performance we see in the player base. Its the root of the resulting heartburn trying to build content for all levels of skill.
    The point I was making, is that I can understand why someone asking for help improving their current build, might be surprised and resistant to suggestions which begin altering the core of their builds away from their initial concept... That's all ;)

I'm not saying that they're correct in that mindset, but I can certainly understand it :sunglasses:

This 'inflexibility is strength' mentality on parade these days is the enemy of all civilization. By definition "I want to improve" means "I want to change."
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    PS AS i fear the edit:

It's not wrong in the moral sense, but it can be wrong as in "that'll just never work." There are places where just-for-fun builds are...well, fun. STO being so easy there's a lot of those places. But then there are places where success requires more than just showing up and having fun.
    The point I was making, is that I can understand why someone asking for help improving their current build, might be surprized and resistant to suggestions which begin altering the core of their builds away from their initial concept... That's all ;)

Yes, and if the person is actually asking for help and actually willing to admit that sticking to their concept may limit the build's performance, that's just fine. But when you move away from that, to demands that everything must be easy enough to win with every random gimmick build...that's when things start to be wrong.

Fact is, STO is extremely lenient on this front already. That there even exist any builds at all that work in all content is unusual. Many MMOS you got no business going in top raids without a build specifically tailored for the map and your role in team.
  • Options

Wow, I'm surprised anyone even thought 4pc to be worth using. I can totally understand the appeal of engines, and even in some cases Innervated Shields. But you are certainly the first one to tell me they use and enjoy 4pc. :D

I personally find it to be pretty underwhelming, but YMMV, of course.
  • Options
    nikeix wrote: »
    Hello forum bug. This time I saw you coming ;).

Yes. By someone whose job description is literally 'tuck the children in bed after they get cranky'. Possibly with a trophy tucked under their arm just for having shown up.

Unsurprisingly, the Game Designers at Cryptic don't treat it as some kind of manifesto.

This 'play how you want' mentality basically says "gee, my Captain should be able to walk up to the viewscreen and wave at the other ships and they all explode -- because that's my fun and it's not wrong." And while the Star Trek 2009 version of the Kobiyash Maru test had Kirk all but do that, the game is not going there, and it's likely not taking one single step in that direction either.

I sympathize with people who would like to see good and effective ship design better reflect the source material. I campaigned relentlessly during the Skill Revamp for small changes that would make beam/torpedo and cannon/torpedo builds more desirable in keeping with what is seen in the shows. But that does not mean I'm on board for "slap together whatever the heck is laying in your bank and pretend that's supposed to be competitive." Improving the performance of your build is a skill. Acquire that skill (its not hard) or accept you're willfully relegating yourself to scrub-level performance. But the game doesn't need to stoop even lower to tuck you in bed and give people that shiny "you suck but don't think about it" trophy.

Yes, the Devs should go through and change the initial load outs of all the ships given in-game to gear that isn't full-blown moronic and thus teaching players bad habits. They also need to do some in-game tutorial missions that teach the fundamentals of configuring your ship. Gear. Power levels. Assigning Doffs. All of these things are needlessly opaque and leaving it to chance that casual players stumble over them at all is a HUGE factor in the grotesque disparity in performance we see in the player base. Its the root of the resulting heartburn trying to build content for all levels of skill.

The thing that bugs me most about it (pun intended ;) ) is how it doesn't just erase the post, but also set up some 'temp ban' state of 'your post is awaiting verification', pretty much until someone else posts, or someone decides to type the whole thing out longhand again.

I completely agree with you, sadly, that behaviour has been formed by mechanics which enable sub-par builds, and a community ethos from the company, which indulged and enabled it.

Like I said, I can accept when necessary changes to a build, doesn't just mean upgrading the console or item from Mk V to Mk XIV, but that an entirely new item and direction is required. I don't really like it (by choice, I'd like to upgrade the starting ship all the way through the game) but I can understand it, and work with it :sunglasses:
    The point I was making, is that I can understand why someone asking for help improving their current build, might be surprised and resistant to suggestions which begin altering the core of their builds away from their initial concept... That's all ;)

This 'inflexibility is strength' mentality on parade these days is the enemy of all civilization. By definition "I want to improve" means "I want to change."
    Absolutely, there's a lot of that mindset about these days (I won't go into the whys, that's a whole different conversation) and that's why I'm saying, that I can understand it and see their perspective. I don't agree with it, but I can understand why they do, and why there is that resistance :sunglasses:

• Options
    PS AS i fear the edit:

It's not wrong in the moral sense, but it can be wrong as in "that'll just never work." There are places where just-for-fun builds are...well, fun. STO being so easy there's a lot of those places. But then there are places where success requires more than just showing up and having fun.

Yes, and if the person is actually asking for help and actually willing to admit that sticking to their concept may limit the build's performance, that's just fine. But when you move away from that, to demands that everything must be easy enough to win with every random gimmick build...that's when things start to be wrong.

Fact is, STO is extremely lenient on this front already. That there even exist any builds at all that work in all content is unusual. Many MMOS you got no business going in top raids without a build specifically tailored for the map and your role in team.

Again, I agree entirely :sunglasses: And yes, someone may indeed be asking for help. But they may be thinking that said help will be 'Upgrade everything, and you're good to go...' when it might be more a case of 'you're going to have to go with a drain build for this ship and a few levels... You're going to need to switch those tactical consoles for the locators and exploiters from the Spire, you're going to need to switch that beam array for this beam array because it has a better proc...' So to those resistant to change, that's going to set up barriers ;)

• Options

Wow, I'm surprised anyone even thought 4pc to be worth using. I can totally understand the appeal of engines, and even in some cases Innervated Shields. But you are certainly the first one to tell me they use and enjoy 4pc. :D

I personally find it to be pretty underwhelming, but YMMV, of course.

I have the full Innervated set: Prevailing Regalia It comes with a great many boons, lotsa crits, here and there, resists that builds up, and many other things. I am currently getting an extra Bolstered Singularity Core even, as I want the extra aux for my Rom Pilot ship. Otherwise, best set I have now. (I used to slot 3-Piece Terran + Iconian Shield)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    Okay...so here is the thing. When I was working on my terrible mix of all 4 weapon types rainbow boat, I got a LOT of unwanted comments about how I should be using BFAW and all beams. Without even ASKING for help mind you. In fact some of those were more than comments and more along the lines of I must be a moron because I was doing this and everything I did was wrong. Despite pulling 15k DPS regularly in ISA. I would kindly tell these folks that I was doing ths for fun and if they wanted to run a quick ISA, I could easily switch to my BFAW AP boat if they liked. But no...I MUST change my build according to some people. So yeah I have been at the bad end of must follow meta and the OTW thinking. But here is the thing...when you admit that what you are doing ain't working...and you refuse to change ANYTHING that you are doing...guess what, it STILL won't work and all you are doing is begging for the game to be dumbed down to your level. And on a game that is easier that most other game's EASIEST setting. You can only dumb things down so much.
    I don't know, man...

"To equip an item, click here to oppen your inventory..."

Imagine that Help V/O alllll the way through the game ;)

"Target ship is approaching you: Click emergency power to weapons, click Kemocite laced weapons, click beam fire at will, click torpedo spread..." "Target ship is returning fire: Click reverse shield polarity, click feedback pulse..."

;)

• Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Even the worst weapons choices aren't crippling in Normal or even Advanced, if you work at it. You may need to swap consoles or equipment, but if you want to go with a Dual Heavy Tetryon Cannon build, it is a viable choice even though it's not one the DPS guys would choose.

In this case the OP wants to go with a Torpedo Boat build, and I don't see why the Jupiter wouldn't do well at that, even with a crappy turn rate. With a Tac Lt. and a Uni Lt. it is possible to slot two Tactical Teams and two Torpedo Spread or High Yield, (or one of each.)

The player will have to insure that his skills are properly allocated to torps, and without sacrificing fighter support skills, but a couple of runs at one of the free skill planners should take care of that.

But the Jupiter has the single most important ability for a torp boat: Subsystem Targeting.

Learning to time torp strikes to take advantage of the five second window a "System Offline" proc is generated isn't easy, and you have to be close to get the torps in before the system goes back online, but a buffed Tricobalt slamming into a bare hull while the shields are offline is devastating. In fact, I think this is how the single hit damage record was made.

Maximizing Subsystem Targeting procs is a matter of maximizing Accuracy. Your beams, Or turrets, or cannons,) need not inflict much damage. Their primary function is to create torpedo targets. Thus Weapon Power level can be set to minimum and that extra power can be used to boost Auxiliary Power, increasing your space magic power.

For a torp boat you only want two energy weapons to use with SST. It really doesn't matter which energy type because damage is not your goal. But individual weapon procs may benefit your torps, and [Acc] is the mod which generates SST procs.

Phaser: still king of energy types for torp boats. The proc is 'Subsystem Offline!'
    Tetryon: the proc is shield drain.
    Polaron: the proc is energy drain.

If you are going with an overall Science Drain build, consider Polaron or Phased Polaron beams. They are purple, if that matters. Otherwise, get some [Acc]x3 Phasers Mk II or IV from the exchange and upgrade them. Heck, I bet a friend or fleetmate has some left over from failed attempts to get [CrtD] beams. You might even consider Omnis instead of Arrays.

Now comes the hard part! Practice. You have to devise a means which is suitable for you to keep the SST abilities on rotation. Your beams should be set to autofire, and there should always be an SST power active when they are. This is simple enough: you have four SST powers, and if you keybind them all to the same key you will get to a point where one is active, two on cooldown, and one ready to fire. I pulled SST: Shields off and use a three power rotation. The SST: Shields I reserve for first strike as my first torp spread is headed to a target, or for situational use against a particularly well shielded target.

Timing is essential. Expect your torps to arrive just after the shields come back on line. It takes practice to get the timing down so that you automatically tap the Fire Photons button the instant you see yellow words on the screen, but once you see your first 30k critical hit it will give you incentive to practice more. Never autofire torps.

And that is another tip of the iceberg on how powers can be used to interact for greater benefit. Here's another: Tykken's Rift will suck the power from target shields. A HY Tricobalt into a ship under the influence of a major drain power is a beautiful thing.

And knowing your target is important. Imagine you've got a Jem Hadar Dreadnaught in a Grav Well with a couple of Heideki Fighters in there too. Which do you shoot?

The fighters. It's almost certain you can kill it with a single volley, and one fighter exploding will set off the others. Multiple warp core explosions in proximity to any ship is going to hurt. I think I've killed as many ships with warp core breaches as I have with torpedoes.

So, the use of a Jupiter as a Torpedo Boat is potentially viable. It has everything a Torp Boat needs except turn rate, and that isn't a major handicap for a player who can think ahead and be where he needs to be when he needs to be there.