test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] The Arena of Sompek Returns for Three Weeks!

Comments

• Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    14 times and a 20hr queue for the first not so merit prized of a pulsewave. Thanks for the event but I prefer just the weekend event instead. I hate grinding uselessly like a hamster....tiger-28.giftiger-28.gif

Pretty much sums it up plus now Character bound only? Come on you guys...Pretty please revert back to a weekend event or at least cut back to 10 days at most. Why break it when it was a AWESOME event???​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    The Sompek Pulsewave will be a per character unlock.

Yeah, I'm probably going to have to say "no" to running this as well. My work schedule pretty much leaves me exhausted by the time I get home to run this on multiple characters.

Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    I'll probably skip this since it's a per-character unlock.

I understand completely that the marks and dil are per-character, but (like I say every event) I'm not happy with the per-character unlock. At the least Cryptic could make it so that other characters can get the weapon-only unlock for a single token once the first character has earned it with the grind.
  • Options
    gulremalgulremal Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    A pity you must hit round 4 for daily reward. This means I'll be running it on single toon, and mostly likely that time limit run.
    If it was CC event, I'd run it with all my alts, which would take around 90 minutes. It takes a while, but I know it will pay up decently and I'm willing to invest the time. This way, I'll spend 15 mins tops - Sompek is just too time consuming to run it with all my alts. So much about metrics.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Let me come back to say this: We hear you. The discussions are happening. I had a few of them myself this morning.

Probably not for this event, but they are happening.
    Well, I'll do it on at least one char. Not sure how many more than that though :/
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    skip... not even worth the bother... these take forever and a day and you want folks to run it per character for a pulsewave rifle? plus you need to do this for 14 times... this is infinitely worse than mirror invasion.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    make the pulsewave 100% shield pen with 1k physical dmg and 1k proton dmg. then it be worth grinding for 7-8 plus hours per character.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    Last time I did this, I promised myself that the next time, I'll fight for my life until level 3, then step into the furnace and wait for death. :p
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    simjbosimjbo Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    I have to agree... per-character item rewards are a drastic disadvantage for players with more characters (who, btw, likely have spend and will spend more time and money on the game!). And with the Arena of Sompek, even a timed version can backfire (especially if receiving the event reward will still depend on getting to a certain wave, since that might not happen in time... (bugs *cough*)).
    It'll also be discouraging making new characters, since for those, some items will be either inaccessible or fairly expensive (phoenix box being very expensive given it's dismal drop rate for not-uncommon tokens).
    All in all: If you finally come around to make event items account-wide, i hope you do it for old ones as well... I'll certainly not bother myself to even try to run my toons all through... especially since those who could most use the reward are the least likely to make it even to round four (or into the event at all...). And i'm one who actually ran Mirror Invasion with 18 toons (17 made it through), albeit i decided to join afk runs in the end, which did not provide much fun.

PS: Wouldn't mind non-event versions of Crystalline Cataclysm, Arena of Sompek, Kobayashi Maru and even Mirror Invasion...
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Let me come back to say this: We hear you. The discussions are happening. I had a few of them myself this morning.

Thank you for getting this issue in front of the Devs and into a discussion at the very least, ambassadorkael. I don't mind the "need to play the event for 14 days" aspect of the system, I do mind the per character unlock qualifier. As others have said, if you have more than one or two alts, it becomes more work than play. And I don't need a second job right now.

Making the Event Starships account unlocks was one of the, if not THE greatest thing ever to happen for those of us who are altaholics. (Second would probably be the Sponsorship Tokens for the reputations) Why can't these event items be the same way?

Anyway, I decided I will run this on exactly 1 character. Perhaps these things will someday become account unlocks and if so, my account would have it unlocked. I figure if the Devs can at least talk about this issue, I can be gracious enough to play the content on 1 character.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    radonneradonne Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Since the goal of the Arena is to 'go the distance,' it's an absolutely terrible choice for a per-character unlock. To me, this ruins most of the fun of the original event. Bleh.

-R
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I was wrong stating in another Thread that the reason that they canceled the Elachi Weekend Event recently was that they didn't have enough time to make it like the Sompek Weekend Event. Well it would seem that they didn't have enough time to make it into a 21-day grindfest instead. :(
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    So - they need in game testing to do to Ground combat powers what they did to Space combat powers. The circle is now complete.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    Don't get me wrong here...

I'm not the biggest fan of ground queues, but I REALLY enjoyed the previous Sompek event. It was short, to the point, and had an account-wide unlock. I was able to run one of my Fed mains through it and switched to other characters when I was done for the day. Having to only run one character through the event was a good thing for me. I was able to participate through the event, switch characters, and do other content. This was great as I was able to play far longer because I wasn't "feeling" like I had to stop my regular gaming routine and run all my alts through the same event (ex. Mirror Invasion).

I am sure many with alts would agree that after running multiple alts through the same thing gets pretty monotonous after a few runs. It gets worse when you feel dread at having to do this for a couple weeks straight, and put other things on the back burner until the event is over. I have a job in the real world and bills to pay. There is no way I can run 31 toons through this event, even though I "feel" like I have to because the event is setup with a per-character reward.

It's nobody's fault but my own, but I do like to have a wide variety of characters with different professions, factions, and playstyles. Sadly, events setup in this manner play merry hell with my OCD.

It makes more sense to me to have this event with an account-unlockable reward. The number if days isn't the issue here. IMO, account-unlocked rewards are a good reason for players to make alts (remember the Delta and Temporal recruit events?), thus boosting character slot sales, and provides more opportunities for Cryptic to increase sales in other areas of the game as those alts will need ships, gear... and other items from the C-store to build up those newer characters. To me, this event is a step backward, and it doesn't need to be.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    First off AmbassadorKael Thank you for the great job you are doing for this community. Over the years those in your position have never gotten enough credit for what you do and have to put up with.

As for the Event, Fun event I ran it last time, and enjoyed it. This time? 14 days and a single character unlock? I have about 26 toons. If this was an account unlock I would try to get it on at least one, or even get the project slotted so if I couldn't finish it this time there is always next time. But a pulsewave weapon? Not one of my toons uses a pulsewave. So the event reward is useless to me and the marks dil etc? I have many other ways to get that a lot faster than grinding out this on 26 toons.

Slot the project....Nope
    Run the Arena event....Nope
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    At least they got the competitive marks in this one unlike the Endeavor system thats still running without them.

I'll play this for my main.

Everyone you just have to give up your multiple characters. I had to pick a faction to support because of the ongoing cost and then I had to pick a single character that I wanted to support.

Too expensive in time and money otherwise.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    The Sompek Pulsewave will be a per character unlock.

Competitive marks will be available.

Blog has been updated.

In the immortal words of Jim Ross, "Aww sonuvabitch."
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    iconians wrote: »
    Alright, since the blog didn't mention it, I'll go ahead and ask.

Is the Sompek Pulsewave an account unlock like the weekend event rewards, or is it on a per-character basis like the other 3-week events?​​

I can understand the Dil and marks being per-character, but the gun should be an account unlock, imo. But I guess we'll see it in a Phoenix box at some point if not.

Even with the gun being per-character, I'm only running 1 character. Who has that type of time to run 14*n times? If it was a 4 day event running for 21 days... Then I'd run it once a day for 21 days to get as many toons the gun as possible. That would be a solution to get more metrics and more guns. Cryptic would get 21 days of runs (instead of 14), and I'd get 7-8 guns, depending on doubling up runs.

Events DON'T make me play more! They just determine WHAT I DO with my time!
  • Options
    locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    I wonder how long the timed version is. I haven't stumbled across an answer for that yet. Anyone know?

EDIT: and no wise cracks about three weeks :D
  • Options
    Probably 15 minutes like the Kobi Maru Weekend. They just love 15 minute stuff.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    pumbasonpumbason Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    i can't do it again...
    im playing for years now and got 14 char's with MK XIV Gear (space and ground)
    i can't do 14 days per char
    do it account unlock plz
    i will not do it at all if not (and cancel my subscription)
    and probably stop playing this game.
    it seems like you where going in a good direction
    but now this thing again
    endless grind useless event that after 2 days everybody kill themselves after round 4
    when it was 4 days account unlock players were trying to get to high rounds
    now you will see after 2 days average round done is 4 and that it.
    there is stupid and backward and dont give this game anything
    :(
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    I think it's time to take a three week break.
    Also, just as a note, as stated in the OP this is NOT us just rerunning the original Arena. I'm interested to see how you guys do, but I'd be SHOCKED, from what I heard, if people are playing single runs of this for hours on end.

Plus, like with the Kobayashi Maru, there's a timed version if you're really concerned about runs taking forever. :)

Trust me...nobody playing this "event" is going to want to draw it out past level 4 for 14 days on multiple toons just for a pulsewave. At least I hope not.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I think it's fairly obvious why it's a per character unlock, they want people to keep playing with their alts so it lasts longer for other players to get involved.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    simjbo wrote: »
    I have to agree... per-character item rewards are a drastic disadvantage for players with more characters (who, btw, likely have spend and will spend more time and money on the game!). And with the Arena of Sompek, even a timed version can backfire (especially if receiving the event reward will still depend on getting to a certain wave, since that might not happen in time... (bugs *cough*)).
    It'll also be discouraging making new characters, since for those, some items will be either inaccessible or fairly expensive (phoenix box being very expensive given it's dismal drop rate for not-uncommon tokens).
    All in all: If you finally come around to make event items account-wide, i hope you do it for old ones as well... I'll certainly not bother myself to even try to run my toons all through... especially since those who could most use the reward are the least likely to make it even to round four (or into the event at all...). And i'm one who actually ran Mirror Invasion with 18 toons (17 made it through), albeit i decided to join afk runs in the end, which did not provide much fun.

PS: Wouldn't mind non-event versions of Crystalline Cataclysm, Arena of Sompek, Kobayashi Maru and even Mirror Invasion...

A non-event version of Crystalline Cataclysm already exists. It's called Crystalline Catastrophe.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I can't believe this has to be discussed with the Developers, have they all been asleep for the last two years? There have been a plethora of Threads ('Yes, El Guapo I know what a plethora is') about this very topic. People have been clamoring for Account unlocks for the object reward. They know if they want the other sundries, that each Character needs to run it.

You finally provide it for the Sompek and Kobayashi Weekend Events and then go pull this. Maybe if it was said on Reddit they would have heard.

I know why this is per Character, they want many Characters to grind for the Fleet Marks for the upcoming grindfest five Tier Colony holding for Starbases. Sucking all the Dilitium out of the System with the latest Phoenix Prize Pack Event didn't help on that matter.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    Personally, I really hate per character unlocks. I might go for this on my main, but since I'm not keen on pulsewaves, I'll probably just give this a skip entirely.

As a suggestion, have you seen how Marvel Heroes does events? They cycle regularly and you just get a currency which works for that event store. This currency cannot be earned outside of the event generally speaking, but you can always go back and buy all event rewards, some of which may take multiple runs of the event to get to. Each vendor also has pretty good repeatable rewards that make the event worthwhile even if you've got 'the main prize'.

I'm also personally not a fan of 'one-time only' prizes especially with forced prolonged grinds (thank you for the phoenix box in relation to this btw guys), I don't like that forced push, life's too short.
  • Options
    grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    Its funny reading all the posts about how people won't partake in a event because of the rewards. I'll be playing it because it's content that is real fun to play. So many fellow players TRIBBLE and moan about the grind and how long its takes. Get over it and enjoy the game. We are lucky we still have a game to play.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    Chalk up another who's utterly uninterested in running this event 14 times. Last time round was perfect, and would have been fine even as a per-character unlock, but 14 times... No bleedin' thanks.

Personally I'd like to see a compromise being reached with these events, maybe complete it 14 times with one character, and then a couple of times each for other characters on that account. Mind, that wouldn't make me want to run this particular event.