test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Arena of Sompek Returns for Three Weeks!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
The Arena is coming back to PC, tougher than ever before. And this time, you can play for three weeks.

Full details here:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10609334

Comments

• szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Really? No competitive marks? I hope this is a typo.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Alright, since the blog didn't mention it, I'll go ahead and ask.

Is the Sompek Pulsewave an account unlock like the weekend event rewards, or is it on a per-character basis like the other 3-week events?​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • rhenvar42rhenvar42 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »

Is the Sompek Pulsewave an account unlock like the weekend event rewards, or is it on a per-character basis like the other 3-week events?​​

This is just a guess, but since it is a three week event, it will be like the other three week events, per character.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    so what happened to the short, weekend event for ACCOUNT-BASED rewards that people actually liked?

newsflash: NOBODY LIKES THIS PER-CHARACTER DRECK!​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    rhenvar42 wrote: »

Is the Sompek Pulsewave an account unlock like the weekend event rewards, or is it on a per-character basis like the other 3-week events?

This is just a guess, but since it is a three week event, it will be like the other three week events, per character.

Or it's like the first Sompek Arena event and they will make it an account unlock, because Cryptic has incorporated player feedback and decided that maybe it isn't such a great idea to suggest that players run these events on several alts just for the new shiny.

Thus, the inquiry.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    Good god, this is a 14 merit event now? Do you devs not have any idea how long these Arena matches can run? Four days with an account unlock was perfect for this event. Ugh, this is going to be awful
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User

Is the Sompek Pulsewave an account unlock like the weekend event rewards, or is it on a per-character basis like the other 3-week events?

Or it's like the first Sompek Arena event and they will make it an account unlock, because Cryptic has incorporated player feedback and decided that maybe it isn't such a great idea to suggest that players run these events on several alts just for the new shiny.

Thus, the inquiry.​​

It's not like that event, though, it's like the 3 week events, since it is one this time around. Everything else about it is like other 3 week events, so I suspect that the special item will be, too.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
    anodynes wrote: »

Thus, the inquiry.

It's not like that event, though, it's like the 3 week events, since it is one this time around. Everything else about it is like other 3 week events, so I suspect that the special item will be, too.

Yet, it's the Sompek Arena which introduced these limited-time rewards as an account unlock, despite sharing similarities with other 3-week events. Plus, Cryptic has shown an interest in player feedback, which has been more or less uniform in desiring account-wide unlocks for these limited time events, rather than character unlocks.

There's speculation to be made for both being possible, which (again), is why I'm asking for clarification.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Considering we ask every single time. You think Cryptic would just tell us in the blog post if the reward is account unlock or not.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager

I'm asking right now. Just gotta wait for people to get into the office. :)

I'm asking right now. Just gotta wait for people to get into the office. :)

Greatly appreciated, thank you.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    This is more interesting news.

Not so much interested in the reward, I already have so many weapons, more than I can ever use. But the event itself was fun last time :)
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Aaaaand you had to ruin the event by making it another 14-day grind. And considering with this one, a single run can last for quite a while with a good team...

And if the reward is not an account unlock... That means doing this on all characters.
    I highly doubt the average player will want to go as far as they can and they'll just reach wave 4 and let themselves die to get this over with. Which kinda kills the whole purpose of the event since it's about staying alive the longest.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    Aaaaand you had to ruin the event by making it another 14-day grind. And considering with this one, a single run can last for quite a while with a good team...

At least now there's a timed version so you can plan for the maximum allotted time.

That's one thing I hated about the weekend event, was after Wave 4 you wanted to leave but that meant ruining everyone else's potentially long run.

I just hope they didn't make it like the Kobayashi Maru, where the average player can feel lucky they made it to Wave 4 in a PUG, much less make it through Wave 4.
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    Also, just as a note, as stated in the OP this is NOT us just rerunning the original Arena. I'm interested to see how you guys do, but I'd be SHOCKED, from what I heard, if people are playing single runs of this for hours on end.

Plus, like with the Kobayashi Maru, there's a timed version if you're really concerned about runs taking forever. :)
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    Man six characters for two weeks. Rough. I'll wait for the word Kael...though I think we know the answer...
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • I'm curious to know if I take part in this, on a character that has the sompek arena lightning kit module still slotted in the events from last time this event happened, would I get the weekend event vouchers for participating this time around, or will I not? Just curious is all.
  • mattaukettmattaukett Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    Ok, so gonna have to ask given that the blog is not clear.

Do we have to beat level 3 to get a merit (I'm clear enough from the blog that everything else needs you to get to level 4 or beyond)?
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    When The Arena of Sompek ran the first time it was a 4 day event that required 3 daily runs to get enough tokens to get the account unlock reward. I ran it because it was an account unlock but some of the matches could drag on (seemingly) forever and most definitely were not worth the time. When getting to level 5 took close to 45 minutes due to the "Engineer Fabrications Bug", I nearly gave up. But as it only required 2 more days of extreme monotony, I stuck with it and earned my ACCOUNT unlock.

Now it looks like you want us to run this 14 times to get what looks to be a single character unlock? I can't believe I'm going to say this but I'll pass. No way in Gre'thor am I even going to try this event again. And this coming from someone who has run several alts through The Breach, Mirror Invasion and Crystalline Cataclysm events each and every time.

Now, if this Sompek Pulsewave is an account unlock like the first time, I can muddle thru 14 times on one character to get it.

I don't expect the bonus Dilithium or marks to be account unlock, those should remain the REAL reward for running the project on multiple characters. But lets be realistic here, some people only have a set amount of time to play and maybe they don't feel like starting a mission they have no idea how long will last. They could be done in 10 minutes or needing to leave after 45 minutes. If they leave before the queue is finished they just wasted all their time for nothing.

Some of us just want the token and move on while others want to see how far they can take it. Which means that for those of us just wanting to do what's needed and move on, we get stuck in a mission that potentially can end up taking HOURS to complete. And for those who want to see how far they can get, they get stuck with players who are willing to just sit there and do nothing once the minimum is reached. This kind of setup makes both sides unhappy. Granted, these serious players who want to push themselves will most likely make a pre-made teams, but plenty of folks with this mindset PUG.

Let the Sompek Pulsewave be an account unlock, keep the Dil and marks as the per character reward. And would you consider doing this for all events of this nature from this point forward, please?

Edit

And it seems that ambassadorkael has updated things a bit while I was writing the initial post. A timed version is a good solution but with that added, I'm afraid this will indeed be a per character unlock. Which means I will NOT be wasting my time with it at all. Kinda sad, but at least I'll have some free time to do other things.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »

Thus, the inquiry.

Yet, it's the Sompek Arena which introduced these limited-time rewards as an account unlock, despite sharing similarities with other 3-week events. Plus, Cryptic has shown an interest in player feedback, which has been more or less uniform in desiring account-wide unlocks for these limited time events, rather than character unlocks.

There's speculation to be made for both being possible, which (again), is why I'm asking for clarification.​​

Arena of Sompek may have been the first of the new Weekend Events the last time, but it isn't this time, and there's literally no reason to expect it to behave like one this time. 50,000 dilithium, bunch of fleet marks, choice of marks, 3 week duration, need 14 of the thing. It's a 3 week event, and will be just like the others. It isn't speculation to hope for an account unlock at this point, it's wishful thinking, and will just lead to disappointment.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    I'm excited about the two week level of the dilithium and marks rewards, but I tend to agree that this was great as a weekend event.
    We need more weekend events like the first sompek, and the Kobayashi maru.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    I liked the original, but let me say this:

The odds of me participating are directly related to whether or not they fixed the bug concerning mines and respawn times from the last event. I had one match go for *hours* because people didn't know that mines kept groups from spawning.

A dev confirmation of a fix (or lack thereof) would be appreciated.
  • captfabulouscaptfabulous Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    Will we be able to get the lightning device if you missed it the first time?
    Will we be able to get the lightning device if you missed it the first time?

If you have the project slotted, possibly. If not then the answer would be no.

• storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    14 times and a 20hr queue for the first not so merit prized of a pulsewave. Thanks for the event but I prefer just the weekend event instead. I hate grinding uselessly like a hamster....tiger-28.giftiger-28.gif​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    I like events like this that allows multiple characters to collect the final rewards. As long as those rewards are resources. I like things to be account unlock for gear and ships, but resources being unlocked by character. Sompek's final reward is all resources this time, so it should be "by character" unlock and not "by account".

The difference, while granular, is distinct and important to me.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
    The Sompek Pulsewave will be a per character unlock.

Competitive marks will be available.

Blog has been updated.
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    I dunno who is responsible for making that decision, but whoever it is needs a good smack upside the head. I guess this means that the new Kobayashi Maru queue will work the same in the future. You know people really liked that the rewards were account unlocks. Maybe it wasn't great for your metrics or whatever, but it was good from a customer service perspective.
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User

Blog has been updated.

Ouch! Though I will be doing this on my main, I doubt I will be doing this on my Alts. It's really too bad that the Sompek Pulsewave will be a character unlock. I guess those of us with Alts will have to wait until this toy gets placed into the Phoenix Pack.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg

Blog has been updated.

Thanks for the updates, ambassadorkael.

This does mean though that I will not be be running it. These items need to be account unlocks. Keep the resources, the Dil, the marks, whatever. Just make the special item an account unlock and I'd run it at least on one character.