test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Winter Event Ideas

brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
Today outside it is a cool 92 degrees with 92% humidity. I keep hoping for rain to cool things off a bit, but it rained at dawn, which provided lots of water for the sun to cook off and pump up the humidity.

So naturally I got to thinking about the Winter Event. And that got me thinking that we need some new events.

Ice Fishing was the first thing that came to mind. Like Sandcastles, you have to go to specific spots and perform specific acts which result in possibly catching a fish. I'd give different fishing spots different chances to produce fish of various rarities. Then you must take your prize to be officially weighed, which generates a random number for the fish's size, with daily prizes for number and type if fish caught, and an event-wide grand pruze in each category. Give a console in the area the 'scoreboard' to aid players in tracking the current user's performance and listing the daily/overall leaders.

Then I thought of cross-country skiing. For fun or as a part of a daily contest, traverse a countryside in which a slow, steady downhill course winds between hills, forests, and sometimes frozen lakes. Cross the map however you see fit, but you must wear skis the whole time. Of course, you could make it a biathalon course with targets that must be shot along the way.

Skiing opens up slaloms and ski jumps, snow-boarding, and possibly tobogganing too.

And of course, ice climbing. If you fall more than 3 meters you get transported to safety automatically, but otherwise, it's you vs. ice. Well, you and an Elite pair of Andorian Ice Boots.

Comments

• Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    Today outside it is a cool 92 degrees with 92% humidity. I keep hoping for rain to cool things off a bit, but it rained at dawn, which provided lots of water for the sun to cook off and pump up the humidity.

So naturally I got to thinking about the Winter Event. And that got me thinking that we need some new events.

Ice Fishing was the first thing that came to mind. Like Sandcastles, you have to go to specific spots and perform specific acts which result in possibly catching a fish. I'd give different fishing spots different chances to produce fish of various rarities. Then you must take your prize to be officially weighed, which generates a random number for the fish's size, with daily prizes for number and type if fish caught, and an event-wide grand pruze in each category. Give a console in the area the 'scoreboard' to aid players in tracking the current user's performance and listing the daily/overall leaders.

Then I thought of cross-country skiing. For fun or as a part of a daily contest, traverse a countryside in which a slow, steady downhill course winds between hills, forests, and sometimes frozen lakes. Cross the map however you see fit, but you must wear skis the whole time. Of course, you could make it a biathalon course with targets that must be shot along the way.

Skiing opens up slaloms and ski jumps, snow-boarding, and possibly tobogganing too.

And of course, ice climbing. If you fall more than 3 meters you get transported to safety automatically, but otherwise, it's you vs. ice. Well, you and an Elite pair of Andorian Ice Boots.

It's kind of too late for them to do anything more with the winter event (they start working on new events during the summer event), but any suggestions could be considered for the following winter event.

However, Ice Fishing (at least the Klingon version) is in the winter event already. The lake, which was originally just used for the large Snowman battle, hosts a candy fish catching area in order to feed and defeat a Gummy Kos'karii (there's multiple times to do this during a 14 minute window, depending on how many people are partaking).

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    luddimusluddimus Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    cross LOTR, Dr Who and the Tzenkethi, Treenzkethi! Giant xmas trees that attack the main arena and you with your trusty chainsaw have to stop them.
  • Options
    bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    Are you for real? Ice Fishing is already in the winter event :|

Maybe you should actually play the game before posting your ideas.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    Chill (hehe). No need to get testy. Maybe he missed the last winter event.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    I'd like to be able to go ice skating on the pond without the ice fishing event assets getting in the way.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I missed last winter because of work. Thing is, now I know where I got the idea: after it was pointed out, I remember reading about it.

However, there must be ideas that others want to see in the Winter Games.

There is one I was thinking about doing in game as a player: a Captain Picard Look Alike Contest. Pick your era: TWoK, TNG, Ambassador. Bonus points if you bring a Beverly. I think Q would enjoy it.
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    iconians wrote: »
    I'd like to be able to go ice skating on the pond without the ice fishing event assets getting in the way.

AGREED! When the ice fishing ends, that damn bucket needs to go away too.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsKmUimMaWJaguPXzyj4cdLql6Trm2nARqDzsxUGCb4JABRM0zqw​​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Personally, I'd just like to see them condense all the winter commodities into a single currency - like favors for the summer event. Furthermore, make the primary way to get them from the various minigames(again, like favors). Would love to have a reason/enough population to do snowman lane-defense again.

This is slightly off topic, but I would also love to see something like a tachyon shockwave generator(3km AoE shield drain pulse every couple seconds) as a heavy/experimental weapon for the T6 Plesh Brekk.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Well... whatever happens, Rattler's Winter Tips and Tricks thread will return. As long as I am playing, I will post my annual thread to help players understand how to do the various things.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    Two thoughts:
    • Gravitic snowboarding (adapting game mechanics from Risa powerboards).
    • Some sort of speed skating event. Give us an actual reason to use those Frosted Boots.
    I like szerontur's idea of a single event currency, or at least reduce it to two: a common, and uncommon (since the existing ornaments come in two rarities).
  • Options
    garaks31 wrote: »
    starship shape sledges

The T'liss would win unless there are trees.

Downhill skiing on various courses for fun and occasional prizes. You'd need a new map for it. The minimap should have helpful difficulty icons at each trailhead.