Install Arc
Options

[Idea]Alternate Method For Uber-Rare Endgame Vessels

124»

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Going fine lock my own thread because people don't agree with me is childish to say the least.

Agreed, and hopefully it's not behavior that the site moderators condone.

This is a discussion forum, when you post an idea, it's open for discussion. You don't get to moderate peoples opinions or decide who's ideas are valid and who's aren't. The thread wasn't off topic, the OP just didn't like the direction it had taken because no one agreed with the initial idea. If you want to just state what you think without leaving room for any differing opinion, make a blog and disable comments.. otherwise, you're going to get peoples opinions and some will differ from yours.

This thread actually has a lot of useful information for people that really want these highly desirable items and are trying to figure out how to obtain them. Despites the OP's objection, it's really been a positive and helpful thread overall.

Personally, I think it's a bad precedent to allow people to have their threads locked just because people disagree. It's not a policy that fosters healthy exchange of ideas.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    alphagor wrote: »
    Bottom line is, every peasant wants a Ferrari. They just don't like paying/working for it.

Not the best analogy - Ferrari control both how many Ferraris (at least new ones) there are made, and the prices of a Ferrari (their market is such people will buy them no matter what; competition doesn't really matter either as most buyers actually buy multiple cars for a given model position, particularly for the really top stuff) for sale.

Cryptic on RNG ships by constrast, is like selling key codes to get the blueprints for 3D printing a car. (the game here is the printing machine) They sell the possibility to print out a car, not the car itself.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    I also reject the concept that 1bil EC is even remotely logical, sane or fair. I barely think 300-400m is acceptable for a ship, and don't think its a fair price. Yes I bought a Veng for 320m, yes its a badass, do I think it was worth that much? Not really.

Yes, but unfortunately for you.. the in game economy is not regulated by your personal opinion or standard.

Is 1b a lot for a single ship that isn't even an account wide unlock? Perhaps. Is it fair? Absolutely.

Why? Because it's selling for that much. People are buying them which means that the market dictates that this item is worth it's asking price. If someone sells an item for X and people line up to pay it, then they have deemed that price to be fair for the item. If I had one of these ships and tried to sell it for 2 billion do you think I would get it? Of course not.. I would be forced to lower my price if I wanted to sell it. People are listing them for 1.2b and they are selling.. therefore, the price is fair.

I must say, your reaction to this thread is very disappointing. Druk, Nabreeki, Napalm, and a few others have honestly given you some not only good, but somewhat hard to come by information. They read your idea, decided it was not viable and gave you reasons why they felt that way, then made an attempt to help you get the item you wanted. You have repaid their kindness with hostility and a blind refusal to listen to any attempt to help you.

Cryptic is not going to sell the T6 Connie in the C-Store or for Fleet Modules.. that's just how it is. You have two choices at this point, use the information you have been given and get the ship you want, or forget it. It's really unfortunate that you're being so combative toward people that are making an honest attempt to help. The information they have given you is information that people normally don't even share.

True, it is what it is. I chose the forget it choice.

When Cryptic makes gamble ships account unlocked, or allows them to be freely moved around an account, I have money waiting.

Something tells me that will never happen, so long as the gravy train for minimum effort keeps flowing.

Until they do, I am happy to stick to cstore ships bought with the Dilithium I save up, thanks to Cryptic releasing them so far apart and doing minimum effort on most them, too.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Going fine lock my own thread because people don't agree with me is childish to say the least.

Agreed, and hopefully it's not behavior that the site moderators condone.

This is a discussion forum, when you post an idea, it's open for discussion. You don't get to moderate peoples opinions or decide who's ideas are valid and who's aren't. The thread wasn't off topic, the OP just didn't like the direction it had taken because no one agreed with the initial idea. If you want to just state what you think without leaving room for any differing opinion, make a blog and disable comments.. otherwise, you're going to get peoples opinions and some will differ from yours.

This thread actually has a lot of useful information for people that really want these highly desirable items and are trying to figure out how to obtain them. Despites the OP's objection, it's really been a positive and helpful thread overall.

Personally, I think it's a bad precedent to allow people to have their threads locked just because people disagree. It's not a policy that fosters healthy exchange of ideas.
    Healthy exchange of ideas? On Sol III in 2017?!?
    Bwahahahahahahahahaha

These are the days of 'agree with me, or you're literally Hitler', my friend :D:D:D:D That's how people are these days, it's Cognitive Dissonance and Dunning-Kruger Effect dialled up to Eleven and given free-voice through the Interwebz :D:D:D:D

The advice given by druk in this thread is literally worth its weight in latinum, and all koda could do was spit in druk's face, because it's not what they wanted to hear, and didn't want to put forth the effort (or maybe spend a little RealWorld Moolah as seed capital) to acquire Space Wealth.

Making ec on the exchange is simple, and just takes a little study of the market trends.

And just to stay 'on topic' (according to the OP), offering a Reduced Function ship, with all the cosmetics of the higher tier ship would unwuestionably devalue the higher tier ship, because many of the folks who are willing and able to pay the price, may only be doing so for it's appearance anyway, not any special traits or seating. So where is their incentive to pay for the higher tier ship, when the lower tier ship, suits their visual need? Whoops... Nice idea, but not fully thought through, in my opinion :sunglasses:
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    It's like everyone driving a VW beetle in pre war Germany. Car of the people. :/

You mean post '47; the few pre-war beetles were given to government officials, and not one Beetle went to anyone who filled out their 5 books of stamps, and once the war was on the Beetle was basically not produced; 630 Beetles in the war before the Allies bombed the heck out of the factory to stop them producing all the military vehicles it was doing.

Post war production was restarted in '45, but it wasn't until '47 when the 20,000 ordered by the British army were delivered that civilians could get them new.

Neat, I learned something. :smile: ty
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Ugh is this still ongoing??

1) The Promo ships sell on the exchange for the prices they do because a) they are uber-rare and b) because of this rarity the value attached to getting one is high for those opening the boxes.

2) If you don't want to pay x price for a ship, don't Nobody is forcing a gun to your head to make you buy a T6 Connie, nor is it remotely required to play the game.

3) It's a free market. If the prices were too high people would never buy and sellers would need to drop prices anyway. The high prices still get paid by plenty of people hence together with the rarity angle these ships stay expensive. Obviously they aren't too pricey for those actually buying them.

4) If you want something in STO (or in life in general) you gotta work for it in some way. Be it grinding EC/dil, getting a second job for cash to blow on promos/keys, time spent playing exchange PVP.
    Waaaaaayyyy too many entitled whiners and millennials here who expect everything given to them the easy way.

5) Earning EC in this game IS super easy. You just have to PUT IN THE EFFORT!!! Plenty of people like @repetitiveepic , @nabreeki
    and myself have posted ideas in this very thread to earn your way up the economic ladder.

6) pushing promo ships to the C-store would hurts the dev company's profits. These ships cost around $200+ to acquire now, added to all the other people buying boxes that don't win the ship that making a metric tonne of $$$'s. Selling them for $30 in not going to cut it.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Maybe they should make these ships less rare. If more people buy them, it might still result in more profit.

Someone, somewhere had to pay 200 dollars indeed for such a ship. Is that reasonable? Ships are going for ridiculous prices in this game, you could buy multiple full games for those 200 dollars.
  • Options
    lordsteve1 wrote: »

6) pushing promo ships to the C-store would hurts the dev company's profits. These ships cost around $200+ to acquire now, added to all the other people buying boxes that don't win the ship that making a metric tonne of $$$'s. Selling them for $30 in not going to cut it.

That's not necessarily true. It's not like making multiple copies of a virtual ship will lead to higher costs or anything.

They could make these ships less rare by simply increasing the odds of winning one. It won't hurt anyone in real life - in fact, it might mean that more people become interested if they heard that the chances of winning a ship were something like 1 in 20, instead of 1 in 200 or even less.
  • Options
    Yes that's pretty obvious. But also a simplification of what's going on and it really doesn't say much.
    Cause even more might be sold at different prices.

Of course, to find out, supply shouldn't be arbitrarily determined from outside the market (I mean, people are pretending here that it's a free market with all the necessary characteristics, but that's nonsense of course).
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »

That's not necessarily true. It's not like making multiple copies of a virtual ship will lead to higher costs or anything.

They could make these ships less rare by simply increasing the odds of winning one. It won't hurt anyone in real life - in fact, it might mean that more people become interested if they heard that the chances of winning a ship were something like 1 in 20, instead of 1 in 200 or even less.

I strongly suspect the revenue from lockbox keys and promo ship boxes is simply vast compared to basic C-store sales. There are people out there who will happily sell their own grandmother to buy zen for these ships, the $200 price means nothing to them.
    Compare that to the (probably) smaller amount people spend on c-store items like ships.

So no it won't cost them any more in resources to make a C-store T6 Connie, but it will reduce their profits. A considerable number of people are happy to and will pay through the nose to own one of the promo ships, that attitude keeps the cash flowing in.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    risian4 wrote: »

I strongly suspect the revenue from lockbox keys and promo ship boxes is simply vast compared to basic C-store sales. There are people out there who will happily sell their own grandmother to buy zen for these ships, the $200 price means nothing to them.
    Compare that to the (probably) smaller amount people spend on c-store items like ships.

Not so sure about that. In most teams I see on average just as many C-store ships as lockbox/lobi/promo ones. And I know many people in-game who spend quite a lot of money, just not on special boxes because the chances of getting something are too low.

I've spend quite a lot of money on the game, on multiple accounts and dozens of characters even. I think I've opened hundreds if not thousands of lock boxes throughout the years and maybe hundreds of promo packs. Nowadays I simply don't do it anymore because I can get good ships that are account-wide for a fraction of the price compared to promo ships. Sometimes I still open lock boxes for a few days, but that's it really. If the odds were a bit higher to win a ship from a promo pack I might open those more often.

I know, it doesn't say much that I know some people or that I alone do something... just my ideas here. I'm not saying that increasing the odds to win a ship will definitely be a good thing, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing either.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    Is uber rare rarer than ultra rare, because ultra rare ships are the cheapest T6's on the Exchange? ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    killer1986chriskiller1986chris Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    I copied and pasted one of Coldnapalms posts to notepad and will have to go back and do the same with a few others, after being inactive for a while and having a small army of toons I think some of the tips may help prove useful to my advancements in game.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    rlNBoZF.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.